TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through January 21, 2022

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: Netflix Series Recommendations : ARCHIVES: Archive through January 21, 2022 users admin

Sincebb1

08-22-2005

Sunday, December 26, 2021 - 9:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sincebb1 a private message Print Post    
Anyone watching Emily in Paris? I realize it's not going to be everyone's cup of tea...but I love it. I don't know if it's just because of my background and having things in common.

It is actually filmed in Paris. The first season was before covid. So they had to wait quite a bit to film season 2.

It's about a girl works at a firm in USA..and at the last minute, quite by happenstance, gets the opportunity to work at a marketing firm in Paris. She has hardly any experience. She speaks no French. She has no life experience.

Somehow her perky personality, positive outlook and never give up attitude, starts to endear her to her co-workers. The French have a completely different work ethic, outlook on life than Americans.

Emily in Paris has everything (for me). Fashion, food, music, comedy, beautiful scenery, multilingual. It's just lightheaded fun.

Sincebb1

08-22-2005

Sunday, December 26, 2021 - 9:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sincebb1 a private message Print Post    
*Lighthearted...lol

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Monday, December 27, 2021 - 8:22 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I've heard it's fun. I'll have to remember to suggest to my wife that we watch it.

Kappy

06-28-2002

Monday, December 27, 2021 - 12:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
So this is not a series but a movie on Netflix ~ Don't Look Up ~ but I think it is worth mentioning especially with the cast involved. It's a tragic comedy about what might happen if a 4 mile wide comet was headed directly toward Earth and people insisted on looking at it politically rather then scientifically. Mind you, the idea was conceived pre-pandemic and yet it accurately predicted the woes of what could happen. While a certain faction in the US might be offended by the movie, I found it to be equally critical of everyone from the media to politicians to cyber CEO's to our culture of worshipping celebs. It's long, almost 2 1/2 hours, and it does drag in a few places but I think it is worth watching. Hours later, I was still thinking about portions of the movie, especially the last 15 minutes which included a heart wrenching family dinner. (I'm not talking about the end credits - that was for pure lark so be sure to stay tuned). Leo Dicaprio and Jennifer Lawrence were outstanding as were Cate Blanchett and Meryl Streep. The rest of the cast, while not as well known to me, were phenomenal so it's worth watching just for the performances.

Sincebb1

08-22-2005

Monday, December 27, 2021 - 1:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sincebb1 a private message Print Post    
Jimmer I think you will find Emily in Paris a nice little respite from all the stuff we normally watch

Kappy I was JUST coming here to see if anyone recommended Don't Look Up. Thanks. Going to watch right now

Naja

06-28-2003

Monday, December 27, 2021 - 3:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Kappy, although it's mostly a comedy, I did find it a close metaphor to the entire covid situation.

eta: I laughed when they called the people who believed the comet was coming the "look uppers".

Kappy

06-28-2002

Monday, December 27, 2021 - 6:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
Yes Naja and the "Don't look up" chant was done exactly like the "Lock her up" chant.

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Monday, December 27, 2021 - 9:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
maybe that is why that movie depressed me so much. Good cast grossly over acting. I know it was a premise that matched much of what we have seen in politics lately.

Egbok

07-13-2000

Tuesday, December 28, 2021 - 12:37 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Egbok a private message Print Post    
Thoroughly enjoyed Netflix’s “Don’t Look Up”. Kappy’s post above aligns with my thoughts on this Netflix film. I usually don’t watch the credits but the family dinner scene weighed heavy on my mind, so I watched the credits to the end and got a little chuckle.

Strategist

07-01-2014

Tuesday, December 28, 2021 - 5:19 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Strategist a private message Print Post    
"Don't Look Up" was really so good. It felt like something that could happen in the world we're living in today.

The president's son (Jonah Hill) carrying a $30,000 designer bag off his forearm as the "presidential nuclear briefcase" was hilarious. He played the perfect mix of Ivanka, Jared, and Don Jr in that one shot!

Strategist

07-01-2014

Tuesday, December 28, 2021 - 5:32 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Strategist a private message Print Post    
I have to watch "Don't Look Up" again!

Don't read the rest in case you consider them spoilers...

They made fun of self-aggrandizing politicians, self-serving media, self-important billionaires, and self-obsessed celebrities, and every one of us who believes them!

The president was a mix of Obama (smoking), Hillary (first woman president), and especially trump (telling the world the opposite of what they can see in front of them - ignoring science and facts!)

The CEO guy could have been Elan Musk or any of these self-absorbed billionaires that we are living with today.

Ariana Grande’s Riley Bina was funny - especially the last song. She was really just playing herself, but selfish!

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Tuesday, December 28, 2021 - 12:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
Emily in Paris is truly delightful. I just started season 2. It's light and silly at times, and a bit romantic. And best of all filmed IN PARIS! So fun to see the city.

Don't Look Up is high on my list. Maybe tonight.

Vsmart

02-09-2003

Friday, December 31, 2021 - 2:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Vsmart a private message Print Post    
Season 6 of Queer Eye starts today.

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Saturday, January 01, 2022 - 5:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
Brenda, I must go to Paris!

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Saturday, January 01, 2022 - 7:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
Lakecat -- you must! My daughter and I went a couple of years ago and it's an amazing city. I feel like we saw so much while we were there.

I finished season 2 of Emily in Paris. I hope it's already filming a season 3 since they leave us hanging!

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Sunday, January 02, 2022 - 4:57 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
I love Sylvie!

Maris

03-27-2002

Sunday, January 02, 2022 - 1:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Maris a private message Print Post    
Paris is a wonderful city. I lived there for a few years back in he day. Don't look up is great.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Sunday, January 02, 2022 - 3:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
Don't Look Up

brontaroc...best epilogue ever!

rotflmao

Egbok

07-13-2000

Sunday, January 02, 2022 - 9:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Egbok a private message Print Post    
Loved "Don't Look Up" and the brontaroc, lol!

I would love to visit Paris someday. Let's see how Covid pans out first.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Monday, January 03, 2022 - 12:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Just finished Emily in Paris last night. I want her cell phone case (looks like a camera), but I don't have an iPhone. 😕 I'm fascinated by her clothes. Don't think she ever wore the same outfit twice. How much money does that girl supposedly make at her job to be able to dress that way? 😁

They certainly left it open for a season 3. Very entertaining!

Sincebb1

08-22-2005

Tuesday, January 04, 2022 - 7:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sincebb1 a private message Print Post    
I was thinking the same thing about her outfits. Every scene she's in something different! Must have been great fun for her as an actress!

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Thursday, January 06, 2022 - 11:42 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Or just as a girl!!! 😊

Zeyna

07-15-2001

Thursday, January 20, 2022 - 7:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Zeyna a private message Print Post    
I just finished watching it too. It's a fun distraction from everything bad going on in the world. Agree about the outfits...meanwhile she has a tiny apartment with a small rack for her clothes. Can't waiting for season 3!

Chieko

11-20-2003

Thursday, January 20, 2022 - 11:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Chieko a private message Print Post    
Ozark Season 4 starts streaming today.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Friday, January 21, 2022 - 12:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
We watched The Puppet Master last night. It's only 3 episodes, but it was fascinating. We stayed up past our normal bedtime to finish it! 😁

It's about a man who tells people (mostly women, but some men) that he's an agent for MI5 (British spy agency) and that they're in danger and need to go on the run with him. He ends up taking all their money and basically controlling them. It was unbelievable that people would fall for that, but they do. Very, very interesting show, and it's all true!