TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: 4400 users admin

Kitt

09-05-2000

Tuesday, November 02, 2021 - 12:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Did the 4400 all appear in that one park? And if so, have they been taken to different hotels in the area?

Or did 4400 people total arrive in different parks over the country on the same day, and the people in the hotel are all the people from that one particular park they went to this week?

I'm enjoying this but it does have quite a few silly things (like the singing!). As long as it doesn't take itself too seriously I'm ok with it.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Tuesday, November 02, 2021 - 3:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
Okay,I finally watched the first two episodes online. Is it regularly scheduled for Monday? I watched the original series,too, but it was so long ago I don't remember what the explanation was for what happened. I know I didn't start watching right away. My late husband was watching it first, for several episodes. Interesting, so far.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Tuesday, November 02, 2021 - 4:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Yes, normally Monday nights. I can't remember the original one either.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Wednesday, November 03, 2021 - 6:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
This show feels a lot more like "Manifest" than the original "4400".

People vanished, then returned years later (and did not age) but don't know why/how. The world becomes suspicious of them. Families had moved on... Some people see them as a religious miracle. There's government agency trying to control everything. Oh yeah.... and now, of course, they have special powers.

Don't you just love the originality of network TV?

Rissa

03-19-2006

Friday, November 05, 2021 - 4:00 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
There is always something, right? For me it’s the guards. These are not a bunch of random people off the street. Why would the guards not be more highly trained, probably military? It seems ludicrous that the government would allow the guards to be abusive or just unsupervised when watching people who are so high profile. I know they are using the one guy to make a point but it’s so unlikely (I know! In a story about time travel. Lol) that it just irks me whenever he is on screen. There is a lot more.. no communication between the watchers of the other groups, etc but I am finding it easier to overlook it all except for that one guard. Rflol

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Friday, November 05, 2021 - 8:57 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Rissa, I agree about the guards. I was thinking maybe they were just doing it when the supervisors weren't around, but when the lead person said they have to do what they are doing... they lost me. No, they don't need to beat people up. The cruel treatment is just unnecessary.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Friday, November 05, 2021 - 9:49 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
I think the guard situation is bad writing. They could have had the racist/abusive/power-tripping guard story happen in a more realistic setting, like if the guards were all National Guard or similar. The current lot act like mall guards.

I used "silly" up above to describe parts of this. I'm not sure it's meant to be taken completely seriously, we might have to remember it's a CW show and it could turn out to be a bit like their witches or supernatural shows, i.e. silly/cute/convenient things happen to further the story when they need it.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Saturday, November 06, 2021 - 1:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
I recorded this and am just about to the end of the first episode. I absolutely agree about the guards. It's ridiculous that they're being so abusive to these people who've obviously been through something traumatic. I'm not sure I can continue watching, it bothers me so much.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Monday, November 15, 2021 - 3:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
On tonight. I am now watching it live. Wish I could remember the earlier one better.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Monday, November 15, 2021 - 4:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
I do too, Hecka!

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Tuesday, November 16, 2021 - 3:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
I had wondered if the doc was played by a woman actor since episode 2...mainly because his voice sounds a bit "off" to me....I just now googled him and found that the actor is, in fact a trans man IRL.
https://celebsaga.com/who-is-tl-thompson-actor-transgender/

Kitt

09-05-2000

Tuesday, November 16, 2021 - 4:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
I think they actually consider themselves non-binary, not trans. Or perhaps kind of whatever they feel like being in the moment.

Second interview here:
https://www.vox.com/the-highlight/2020/2/19/21124189/nonbinary-gender-fluid-adults

They're pretty amazing at the old-timey accent.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Tuesday, November 16, 2021 - 7:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
I just watched the show and thought you were very prescient, then realised it was recorded from yesterday, lol.

Interesting about the rat being in the future (present) too.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Wednesday, November 17, 2021 - 1:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
"I think they actually consider themselves non-binary, not trans."

I always thought that "non-binary" just meant not specifically male or female. (As I understand it, "binary" code is just ones and zeros, "this" or "that" but nothing else, no other option.)

"Transgendered" applies to a person whose body does not line up with their individual identity, such as, for example, a person assigned "male" at birth, but self identifies as specifically female and subsequently transitions to female.

It's gotten so complicated, I looked it up and found this at Wikipedia:

<snip>

"Non-binary[a] or genderqueer is an umbrella term for gender identities that are neither male nor female‍—‌identities that are outside the gender binary.[2][3] Non-binary identities fall under the transgender umbrella, since non-binary people typically identify with a gender that is different from their assigned sex,[3] though some non-binary individuals do not consider themselves transgender.[4]

Non-binary people may identify as an intermediate or separate third gender,[5] identify with more than one gender,[6][7] no gender (agender), or have a fluctuating gender identity (genderfluid).[8] Gender identity is separate from sexual or romantic orientation,[9] and non-binary people have a variety of sexual orientations, just as cisgender people do.[10] Being non-binary is also not the same as being intersex; most intersex people identify as either male or female.[11]"

<snip>

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-binary_gender

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Wednesday, November 17, 2021 - 1:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
"I just watched the show and thought you were very prescient, then realised it was recorded from yesterday, lol. "

Well, I did wonder about the doc actor's gender identity before the doc "came out" in this week's episode. :-)

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Wednesday, November 17, 2021 - 2:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
One more article on the this somewhat confusing topic:

https://www.teenvogue.com/story/9-things-people-get-wrong-about-being-non-binary

Kitt

09-05-2000

Wednesday, November 17, 2021 - 2:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
It didn't occur to me at all. I was obsessed over the 1920s caricature!

I think trans people *mostly* consider themselves to have made a transition to another gender, and then consider themselves that new (to others) gender. Whereas non-binary people *mostly* embrace any or no gender for themselves. But I love that it's become more and more common to not define people, where you don't have to fit into one identity or another, or not be something people commonly recognise or even understand.

A friend of mine was telling me about a (male) friend of his who was wearing a dress when he went there for dinner. He just couldn't get over it, not because he didn't know gay people or recognise that trans people exist, even in his friends, but because this particular friend, he said, was just acting like normal, but he was in a dress, and no one was saying anything about it. He just couldn't fit it into a box in his brain. The story amused me immensely. I just told him he doesn't need to understand it, it just is. I tend to find it easy to just take things in for what they are.

Anyway, I am digressing. Sorry!

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Wednesday, November 17, 2021 - 3:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
"It didn't occur to me at all. I was obsessed over the 1920s caricature! "

That party where the doc was dancing looked a bit gay to me...

Here are two screen caps from this episode....one features cross dressing and one has a male couple slow dancing in the background.

A Drag King and a man with a boa:
cross

A quick glimpse of the background shows two men slow dancing:
gay

--------

However the doc refers to himself, at least we know he was not totally alone in the 20's because he had "special" friends that he could identify with and safely spend time with.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Wednesday, November 17, 2021 - 4:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
I meant before last night's episode. That ep made it very clear for both the character and the actor :-).

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Wednesday, November 17, 2021 - 5:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
"I meant before last night's episode."

Aha!

I'm glad I looked it up though....I hadn't even noticed that cute gay couple slow dancing in the background when I watched it. :-)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Register Now
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: