TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through February 13, 2021

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: Zoey’s Extraordinary Playlist : Archive through February 13, 2021 users admin

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Wednesday, January 27, 2021 - 10:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
I never watched this in Season 1, and tried to jump in cold on Season 2. I had no idea what the premise of the show was, still don't. I found it unwatchable. So I just now read the thread. It makes more sense if one thinks of it as a musical. But I would think most people would do what I did if they tried to jump into it without predicate, look for something else to watch.

Mizinvanccouver

02-21-2003

Thursday, January 28, 2021 - 7:32 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mizinvanccouver a private message Print Post    
Juju...if you can find season 1, totally worth the watch!

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Thursday, January 28, 2021 - 10:08 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
Juju. You can sign up for free on Peacock online. Definitely need the first season for perspective for this. But, have tissues ready for the first season.

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Thursday, January 28, 2021 - 1:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
At the same time though it is a super fun show.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Thursday, January 28, 2021 - 1:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
Yes, although the first and last episodes of the first season may require tissues. Not so much the others, as Jimmer says... they are just fun to watch.

Note that Mandy Moore, Choreographer from "So you think you can dance', is the choreographer for this show.

Strategist

07-01-2014

Thursday, January 28, 2021 - 3:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Strategist a private message Print Post    
Juju2bigdog you must watch Season 1. I loved the final episode so much that I saved the finale and play the closing song often!!!

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Thursday, January 28, 2021 - 11:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Y'all have almost got me talked into it, but dang, that season 2, ep 1 was SO a non-starter for anybody who had ever before read that it was good and decided to give it a chance. Total non-sequitur.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Thursday, January 28, 2021 - 11:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
I totally agree, Juju2bigdog. I am watching it because my friend says it is so good but I still don't get it. So I just watch for the music and dancing.

The whole thing just seems weird to me, LOL, but I endure because since my friend likes it I keep thinking at some point it will make sense to me.

And then the very first show this season was a super downer and it still seems a little blue (because the Dad died). It is just not that cheerful to me.

But I will carry on until something else shows up to complete with it's time slot.

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Friday, January 29, 2021 - 8:30 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Well, frankly, all musicals are weird in that people in real life don’t regularly break out into song. But I still love them.

Seeing this series from the beginning is helpful though because it’s fun seeing her discover her “gift”.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Friday, January 29, 2021 - 10:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Well, thanks for that, Jimmer. If I get back to it, I will see then if it is possible to start with S1E1. But for right now I don't need anything to watch. (I only watch one hour per day of network television, no premium channels, no subscriptions, and I only watch streaming online. I know; I am a dinosaur.)

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Tuesday, February 02, 2021 - 10:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
Tonight’s episode really took a different turn. Surprised me.

Strategist

07-01-2014

Wednesday, February 03, 2021 - 4:49 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Strategist a private message Print Post    
Not sure I liked it. It seemed a bit off brand.

Strategist

07-01-2014

Wednesday, February 03, 2021 - 4:52 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Strategist a private message Print Post    
Last night I watched as if I had never seen the first season. Now I get why all of you who started in Season 2 are confused and don't like it much.

This is the kind of show you need to see from the start. If you don't, you don't get some key pieces of information that you need before you can go to the later episodes.

The most important one is WHY and WHEN they break into music and dance. The whole thing is connected to Zoey. If you don't understand this, then it must seem very confusing everytime a song and dance comes up.

Mizinvanccouver

02-21-2003

Wednesday, February 03, 2021 - 7:45 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mizinvanccouver a private message Print Post    
Last nights episode was pretty funny. Though my daughter and I were like,"Don't take it! You didn't even ask what it is!!! What if it is meth or something highly addictive?!" Anyway, once we got over that part we laughed and enjoyed her music scene.
Like how there is a bit of serious side with the app not recognizing people of colour. They will be going into that a bit more next week.

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Wednesday, February 03, 2021 - 9:39 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Because I like the show and want it to be successful, I wish they had made more of an attempt to make it more understandable for new viewers, at least in the season opening episode.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Wednesday, February 03, 2021 - 12:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
That's true, new viewers will just wonder why people break out into song and no one bats an eyelid.

I was upset that the mother's new job fell apart so quickly. It would have been nice to see her have a success.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Wednesday, February 10, 2021 - 10:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
I thought last night’s episode was well done. I particularly like Tomar(?) in this episode. His character came more into focus for me, plus I enjoyed his singing.

Strategist

07-01-2014

Thursday, February 11, 2021 - 5:16 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Strategist a private message Print Post    
Kapil Talwalkar plays Tobin. His singing was outstanding for me. He was so intense and real. I got really emotional and listened to it twice.

As a brown-skinned person, I related to the part Tobin played. I, too, used sarcasm and jokes to fit in.

I also like how they handled the sometimes "inexpressible" feelings of black people.

My favorite part was how Zoey needed to go through a path to enlightenment. I felt her pain as a white person trying to understand and help, but not knowing how to do that. What was best for me is she learned how to be an ally and advocate. HUGE!

Strategist

07-01-2014

Thursday, February 11, 2021 - 12:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Strategist a private message Print Post    
Here's Tobin (Kapil Talwalkar) https://youtu.be/3KL35GGZmac

I can cry just listening to this.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Thursday, February 11, 2021 - 4:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
Thanks for Tobins name. I was too lazy to go look it up.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Friday, February 12, 2021 - 1:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
One thing I thought interesting was Tobin's "first generation" problems, where people thought he should be speaking in the accent of his heritage, not an American accent.

I didn't know that happens. In the UK (and I think Canada?) there are many many people who are first, second, third generation descendants of people who came from overseas, so it's very commonplace for them to have a UK accent. Heck some UK accents are essentially "foreign" accents that have become popular in their local area. Some areas of London for example people of all colours speak with a half Jamaican/half more London accent.

I remember once back in the UK I had a visiting student from China, and we were at a lab in the North of the UK, where people have VERY strong local "Geordie" accents. We ate somewhere and I had to translate between the Chinese person (who was fine with my accent, but understandably couldn't make out the Geordie one) and the waitress with the Geordie accent. Why this is relevant: the waitress with the Geordie was clearly of Chinese descent. They were very amused by this situation!

Strategist

07-01-2014

Friday, February 12, 2021 - 2:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Strategist a private message Print Post    
In Canada, we have such a good mix of people from all nations, I rarely notice accents. Schooling and education is generally very good in Canada, so most younger people grow up learning English with a lot of different people. Usually, then pick up the accent of their region (province or territory) or land (first nation or Inuit).

Kitt

09-05-2000

Friday, February 12, 2021 - 4:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
I went to Vancouver for the first time a couple of years ago, Strategist, and I felt so wistfully at home, because of just that.

Strategist

07-01-2014

Friday, February 12, 2021 - 7:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Strategist a private message Print Post    
Kitt, you are always welcome here.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Saturday, February 13, 2021 - 1:22 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Yes! I've been campaigning for our Kitt to come visit here post-covid.