TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through January 30, 2021

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: Netflix Series Recommendations : ARCHIVES: Archive through January 30, 2021 users admin

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Saturday, January 02, 2021 - 2:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
LOL

Pamy

01-01-2002

Sunday, January 03, 2021 - 11:28 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
I finished Queens Gambit. It was good but there were some missed opportunities for some great scenes.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Sunday, January 03, 2021 - 3:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
"I just love the little round faced actress that plays Penelope"

Naja, thanks for reminding me....I had intended to look her up to see if she was who I thought she was.

Her name is Nicola Coughlan and she reminded me of one of the actors on Harlots.....and that's exactly who she is! On "Harlots" she played a "working girl" named Hannah Dalton. Her character was kind of similar to the one she played on Bridgerton a sweet and likeable younger character, but at the low end of the harlot hierarchy. On Bridgerton, she was also sweet and likeable, and she was at the low end of the Bridgerton hierarchy (inasmuch as she was at the low end of a privileged family's hierarchy.)

Check out "Harlots"....lots of drama an lots of laughs.

Harlots is about rival brothels in London in the 18th century, a similar time frame as Bridgerton, also in London in the 18th century. The huge difference is that Harlots takes place in the seedy side of London while Bridgerton takes place in a very posh British backdrop.

I HIGHLY recommend Harlots...there have been three seasons. Oh yeah, for Walking Dead fans, you might be interested to know that one of the major characters in Harlots was played by Samantha Morton (AKA "Alpha" on the last couple of seasons of TWD).

Misspoufy

09-30-2004

Monday, January 04, 2021 - 7:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Misspoufy a private message Print Post    
LOVE BRIDGERTON! I've already watched it twice. Can't wait for more, more, more.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Tuesday, January 05, 2021 - 12:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Loved Bridgerton! If you liked that, Misspoufy, you should watch Vanity Fair on Amazon. I accidentally watched it twice: once when it first came out a couple of years ago, and again when I thought it was new and couldn't remember what happened anyway, so I watched it again. It was lovely!

Naja

06-28-2003

Wednesday, January 06, 2021 - 2:29 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Babyjaxmom, I tried the first ep of Vanity Fair tonight after seeing your post. I love it. Had I known Olivia Cooke was in it, I would have watched it sooner. Thanks for the suggestion.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Wednesday, January 06, 2021 - 2:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Another good one, although it's a little older, is Cranford on Amazon. So good!!!

Kappy

06-28-2002

Friday, January 08, 2021 - 4:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
I have mixed feelings as I watch Bridgerton. On one hand, I feel like I'm watching nothing more then a vintage romance novel cover come to life while on the other hand I love the cast and I am obsessed with the colors of everything from the clothing to the interior walls to the flowers. I love the muted pastels as well as the chartreuse pitted against purples. I am in love with the colors but wonder if it is a good thing that I care more about them than any storyline that is happening. This is a first for me - I am in love with the colors!!

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Saturday, January 09, 2021 - 2:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
The costumes in Bridgerton were fabulous, but I agree that it was pretty predictable. I did enjoy it anyway. 😊

Rieann

08-26-2006

Tuesday, January 12, 2021 - 5:30 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
I started a really good series last night called Lupin. It is part heist and part revenge thriller. It is in French with subtitles. So good! I am halfway through the third episode. Five episodes in all (listed as part 1).

Here is a synopsis from Rotten Tomatoes...

Inspired by the adventures of Arsène Lupin, gentleman thief Assane Diop sets out to avenge his father for an injustice inflicted by a wealthy family.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com

Omar Sy plays Assane and he is fantasic. I first saw him in the movie The Intouchables and became an instant fan.

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Tuesday, January 12, 2021 - 6:50 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
On Netflix today LAST TANGO IN HALIFAX is starting season 4...yay.

Mizinvanccouver

02-21-2003

Saturday, January 16, 2021 - 3:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mizinvanccouver a private message Print Post    
What a coincidence! I just watched the latest season of Last Tango in Halifax too!

Punkin

08-13-2009

Saturday, January 16, 2021 - 8:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Punkin a private message Print Post    
Night Stalker It is a four episode limited series (so you can binge it without taking a whole day!), mostly narrated by the two detectives who had, not long before the Night Stalker crimes started, solved the Hillside Strangler case. It is outstanding for a crime documentary with great story telling and exceptional cinematography! I'd highly recommend! It's very well done.

I remember clearly when, after reading of Ramirez's crime rampage through Los Angeles County, he came to San Francisco to continue his killing spree! Dianne Feinstein was our Mayor then, having taken over after Mayor Moscone and Harvey Milk were assassinated and just a week later Jonestown happened. We were rattled enough, and then Richard Ramirez came to town.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Monday, January 18, 2021 - 1:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
night Stalker is very good. But don't watch the first two episodes right before bed time. It's a terrifying story.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Monday, January 18, 2021 - 2:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I have added Omar Sy from Lupin to my list of celebrity crushes after only 2 episodes.

Pamy

01-01-2002

Monday, January 18, 2021 - 2:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
I wanted to hear more about Richard Ramirez. How was his life in prison, more about his upbringing, etc. They kept playing exerpts from an interview he did. I wanted to see the whole interview.

Pamy

01-01-2002

Monday, January 18, 2021 - 2:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
They also kept mentioning how hot it was that summer and I remember it was awful and we had to keep windows closed and locked. I even locked them on my 2nd story. I also remember he was hitting houses by freeways but they didnt say that. I wonder if he ever said how he picked his victims. He was a sick sick man

Rieann

08-26-2006

Monday, January 18, 2021 - 3:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
Sugar, he is a handsome guy!

The Intouchables is on Netflix as well. Omar plays a caregiver to a quadriplegic. It is a comedy/drama. They remade it with Bryan Cranston and Kevin Hart but I never watched that one.

I need to watch the Night Stalker series.

I enjoyed the latest Last Tango in Halifax. I hope we get another season.

ETA- Part two of Lupin will be available later this year.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Monday, January 18, 2021 - 4:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Thanks Rieann, I will look for my new boo in The Intouchables. I did see the remake.
Delighted to know that more Lupin is in the works.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Thursday, January 21, 2021 - 6:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
I watched Lupin and enjoyed it a lot, but I didn't realize it was going to cliff hang me! :-) I actually watched it in French with English subtitles to stir up a bit of the French I learned in high school.

Rieann

08-26-2006

Thursday, January 21, 2021 - 7:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
I didn’t realize that was going to happen either. Luckily I saw that we will have part 2 in a few months. :-)

Watch that end in a cliffhanger too. Haha

Sugar

08-15-2000

Friday, January 22, 2021 - 11:48 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I finished Lupin last night and am looking forward to its return.

Mizinvanccouver

02-21-2003

Wednesday, January 27, 2021 - 5:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mizinvanccouver a private message Print Post    
Pamy...re: Night Stalker I too wanted to know more about his prison time ect. Wondering what type of quality of life (if any) he had in there.

Watching Lupin with my daughter who is in high school French Immersion, so audio/French w/English Subtitles. We have 2 episodes left.

Anyone watching Bling Empire? It's filmed in L.A. and about extremely wealthy young Asians more born into wealth so have no idea how hard it is to earn money. It's a bit nauseating how they spend money, especially right now when so many are suffering due to the Pandemic. Ok, that said, I try to look at it more of a cheezy soap opera because that is how shallow they are.

Mizinvanccouver

02-21-2003

Saturday, January 30, 2021 - 1:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mizinvanccouver a private message Print Post    
Me again...so watched White Tiger. Enjoyed seeing India but the story was long and drawn out without a concrete ending. To be fair, I was only half watching. The storyline is a bit depressing showing the different class of people, so that could have been why I didn't enjoy it either. At the moment I try to watch things more uplifting, sci-fi and or fantasy.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Saturday, January 30, 2021 - 5:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Popping in to say, like Miz, I'm trying to watch mostly upbeat stuff. Too easy for me to feel blue lately, so nothing dreary or anxiety-making. And we are still thinking of getting Netflix. Probably will soon.