TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through October 13, 2020

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: Brit shows - acorn TV, Amazon Prime: Archive through October 13, 2020 users admin

Sugar

08-15-2000

Saturday, January 11, 2020 - 8:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I found Miranda on Hulu a few years ago and quite enjoyed it.

There is an American version to be called Carla in the works with Mayim Bialik as Carla. I believe she is also a producer along with Jim Parsons.

Spunky

10-07-2001

Thursday, January 16, 2020 - 11:05 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Spunky a private message Print Post    
I just love the new series Sanditon on Masterpiece, the usual Jane Austen naïve but strong lady among men (I love Theo James), it's also quite funny, the men used to go swimming totally naked while the ladies were entirely covered with a silly swimming costume. There are other new series coming up which seemed quite interesting.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Friday, January 17, 2020 - 8:08 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I enjoyed Sanditon too. Theo James was quite the jerk in it though. He has to warm up to the girl visiting his brother, I would assume.

Rieann

08-26-2006

Sunday, February 09, 2020 - 4:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
I am enjoying Sanditon too.

I have been meaning to post that season 10 of Vera is on Britbox. I just love Brenda Blethyn in this role.

Rieann

08-26-2006

Friday, August 14, 2020 - 9:35 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
I started a fun one on Acorn yesterday called The Other One. After her husband dies a woman finds out he had a mistress and another daughter with the same name as her own daughter (aged 5 days apart). Very funny laugh out loud moments with touching moments too. Siobbhan Finnernan plays the mistress and is hysterical. Here is a trailer from You Tube...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xuTg_qIF_bg

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Friday, August 14, 2020 - 4:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Looks good. Thank, Rieann!

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Saturday, August 15, 2020 - 7:08 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
Several months ago my daughter gave me ACORN for my birthday. I love the shows on there. AZAC GIRLS, BOMB GIRLS and my favorite that i'm watching right now, A PLACE TO CALL HOME. It keeps me on the edge of my seat. Every few minutes I have to take a break to decompress.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Sunday, August 16, 2020 - 9:54 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
I binged A Place to Call Home in a week (it was at 4 season, IIRC) WHILE working 60 hours that week AND in rehearsals for a musical. LOVED IT!! (Still do for that matter, though I'm sad it ended. :-( )

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Sunday, August 16, 2020 - 11:50 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
You guys talked me into subscribing to BritBox, and I'll probably sign up for Acorn eventually, too. My hubby and I are hooked on British detective shows (got spoiled by Broadchurch). Maybe I'll try to get him to watch Grantchester. He doesn't usually go for the "period pieces" (that's my thing), but we'll see.

I started Cranford yesterday, too. Love it so far.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Wednesday, August 19, 2020 - 11:37 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Thanks a million to whoever it was who recommended Cranford to me. What a sweet show! And the cast!!! I kept going, "Judi Dench! Jim Carter! Imelda Staunton! Tom Hiddleston! Jonathyn Pryce! Michelle Dockery!!!" And so many others I recognize from other Brit shows. This show made me cry every episode, and the ending was just so sweet and satisfying. Love, love, loved it!!!

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Thursday, August 20, 2020 - 10:52 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Cranford sounds wonderful. Going to see if I can find it On demand.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Friday, August 21, 2020 - 11:57 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Mameblanche, I think I got it thru Amazon Prime.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Wednesday, September 09, 2020 - 10:55 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
We found a new one last night on BritBox. The show is Wild Bill and stars Rob Lowe as an American police chief who takes over the small town police force of Boston, England. It's kind of a "fish out of water" but still gets results type of show. It has a lot of humor in it. We still have to have the CC on, cause of all the accents (not just your "typical" British accent, but many different local accents, plus the odd Scot or two). We watched two episodes last night. Only 6 in the season.

Rissa

03-19-2006

Wednesday, September 09, 2020 - 11:11 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
Eww, that sounds right up my alley BabyJaxmom, will go look for it. Another one that just started is McDonald and Dodds. A newish/youngish detective from London is transferred to a sleepier little area where her ambition may not be so appreciated. She is teamed with an officer who has been desk bound for over a decade, quirky but perhaps of greater value then at first glance. Only the first episode out so far but I enjoyed it enough to keep watching.

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Friday, September 11, 2020 - 4:12 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
On ACORN 'A Place To Call Home' is a great entertaining family saga.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Friday, September 11, 2020 - 11:24 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
OG, I just started watching that one a couple of days ago. I love it! Almost an Australian Dynasty, except most of the people (except for the snooty grandma) are more likeable!

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Saturday, September 12, 2020 - 4:27 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
They all evolve over the series into great characters. The last episode is so satisfying.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Saturday, September 19, 2020 - 7:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
I binged the first 4 seasons of A Place to Call Home in a week (while working 60 hours AND practicing 3 hours a night with a musical) - it is SO good. Sad to see it end, but I still rewatch it regularly.

Grooch

06-16-2006

Sunday, September 20, 2020 - 12:58 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
I saw a commercial on PBS that Last Tango in Halifax is supposed to premiere tonight. Is this a new season?

Landileigh

07-28-2002

Sunday, September 20, 2020 - 4:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Landileigh a private message Print Post    
I saw the first few episodes of A Place to Call Home on PBS that I had to order ACORN just to binge watch it earlier this year! I LOVED IT!!!

Boberg

10-04-2002

Sunday, October 04, 2020 - 11:19 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Boberg a private message Print Post    
"Mount PLeasant" fun series. Some drama. Light.

LOVED A Place to Call Home.

Also don't miss "Line of Duty" very well done police drama. "No Offense" another police drama...lead by females with some comedy.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Sunday, October 04, 2020 - 12:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Does anyone else have trouble getting season passes to record PBS shows from the UK? I'm with DirecTV, and whether I set it to record new episodes or even all episodes, it's very hit and miss on whether they record an episode.

Starting tonight on PBS:

9pm Flesh & Blood (UK version with Imelda Staunton)

10 pm Cobra (with Robert Carlyle)

Both look like they're worth checking out.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Monday, October 05, 2020 - 10:17 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
We've been watching Shetland on Acorn. It's another Brit detective series, but takes place on the Scottish island of Shetland. Such beautiful scenery and a great cast. We're really enjoying it. We love storylines that carry through several episodes or even a whole season, rather than tying everything up in a neat little bow at the end of an episode. Great show!

Sugar

08-15-2000

Monday, October 05, 2020 - 2:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I also liked Shetland. I started to read one of the books but only lasted a few pages. Perhaps because I had already seen the tv show.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Tuesday, October 13, 2020 - 11:05 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Just finished Shetland. There's supposed to be another 2 seasons coming, but they were delayed due to the pandemic. Absolutely loved this show! The characters, the acting, the scenery! Now we need something else to watch. We love the Brit police/detective shows. We don't do comedies.