TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through October 28, 2020

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: This Is Us: ARCHIVES: Archive through October 28, 2020 users admin

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, April 16, 2020 - 12:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
That was a tough scene..

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Monday, May 25, 2020 - 6:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
I knew she looked familiar! Lily on the AT & T commercials was Sloane on this show.

Pamy

01-01-2002

Tuesday, May 26, 2020 - 6:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
I loved her character

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Saturday, October 24, 2020 - 9:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Just got an e-mail from NBC with a sneak preview of a bombshell to be dropped on this Tues. Oct. 27, 2 hour premiere. I think most of us would have guessed it from the ending of last season. Dang, that is just days away now. Wait! Only 3 days from now. Somehow time is really accelerating these past four months or so.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Monday, October 26, 2020 - 11:44 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I'm actually a little annoyed This Is Us is starting this week then will miss a week because of the election. Would rather not have breaks in the viewing.

I am also curious about something. Many people post how much they love this show and they cry, weep and bawl over each episode. Why do you enjoy something that makes you so emotionally spent each week? Dont misunderstand me, I think it is a pretty good show with more hits than misses. William's death brought tears to my eyes but I dont understand the weekly lamentation and bewailing. Not every episode or storyline is that wrought with drama.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Monday, October 26, 2020 - 12:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
A lot of the storylines touch on things we've experienced in our own lives. The tears come from feeling that someone else understands what we've been through. My mother has advanced dementia. The scenes with Rebecca and her advancing dementia are tearing me up, because we've been through it. It's cathartic. Not everyone reacts the same way. Don't belittle those of us who are cryers and get relief from our tears.

Texannie

07-15-2001

Monday, October 26, 2020 - 4:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
It helps me but words to my feelings. My kids are adopted and it’s helped to see Randall’s thought process. Rebecca expresses my thoughts. My mother in law lived far too long in a vegetative state with Alzheimer’s. And my dad died last November 8 from dementia/leukemia .Watching the family deal with it help me understand how the people in the same family can process things so differently.
And sometimes, there is just nothing better than a good cry! LOL

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Monday, October 26, 2020 - 5:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
There is a scientific explanation for this (which people here have captured intuitively). My DD is getting her degree in neuroscience and has talked to me about this (why people find “enjoyment” and comfort in sad stories). I’d explain it but if Kar is reading this thread she could explain it better. :-)

Pamy

01-01-2002

Monday, October 26, 2020 - 5:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
I dont cry as much as I did in the first season. Last season I dont think was as emotional for me.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Monday, October 26, 2020 - 10:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Also might depend on where you are in the hormone/menopause cycle for women. If you are in the peri or full menopause cycle and missing those cheerful hormones, MANY things make you cry ALL the time. Sheesh.

Wait, is this tomorrow night? I first watched all of the seasons of this show during the early Covid19 shutdown, so I still remember most everything. I think. Maybe. I am hormone-less. Who knows?

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, October 27, 2020 - 3:05 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Crying can be cathartic.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Tuesday, October 27, 2020 - 11:40 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
Yes, new season starts tonight. Show is two hours tonight.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, October 27, 2020 - 1:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Yes!

Texannie

07-15-2001

Tuesday, October 27, 2020 - 6:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
Missed the first 10 minutes. What did I miss??

Mak1

08-11-2002

Tuesday, October 27, 2020 - 7:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mak1 a private message Print Post    
Whoa.....the ending!

Sorry Texannie, I don't remember how it began.

Texannie

07-15-2001

Tuesday, October 27, 2020 - 8:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
Wait....what??????

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Tuesday, October 27, 2020 - 8:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
Two hours tonight because, of course, not on next week.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Tuesday, October 27, 2020 - 11:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Sorry, I don't remember the first bit either.

They did a great job of making the old storylines fit with the new world. And they changed what seemed to be last season suggesting the mother had deteriorated greatly over the missing months, to her actually be stable or even slightly improving.

Pamy

01-01-2002

Wednesday, October 28, 2020 - 7:45 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
Texannie, it was basically what we all have been living thru the last 6 mo. The covid world and how we are dealing with it. The George Floyd killing video and the protests. I hope you got to see the scene between Randall and Malek, it was powerful and really touched my soul

Pamy

01-01-2002

Wednesday, October 28, 2020 - 7:50 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
the final scene pissed me off. Such BS! that just felt wrong to do that after all these years. I find it hard to believe that was the plan since the beginning.

My guess is his mom will turn out to be his new therapist or she will be related to her/him.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Wednesday, October 28, 2020 - 11:07 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
It doesn't really make sense. OK she might have been sent to rehab or some facility, but did she at no point try to find William? We know he stayed in the area because Rebecca found him after many years, and Randall was able to re-find him by asking around at that address.

She might have thought the baby was better off without her, but wouldn't she have tried to find out?

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Wednesday, October 28, 2020 - 11:10 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I have a whole bunch of thoughts about this so I may end up making some random posts.

First, it's great that this is back on and that they were able to safely produce a show, even with COVID happening!

Speaking of COVID, I found the fast transition to Kevin immediately mentioning it to Madison, a bit jarring, but I do think they did a good job of including it, without it overly dominating the show.

Similarly, I liked their inclusion of the BLM movement and Randall's discussion of the events surrounding it with his family and Malik. Nicely done.

I like Kevin with Madison. I'm a little worn out of Kevin bouncing around with different women. I think they are a cute couple and hope that the writers have that relationship work out in the long-term. I think of Madison as the underdog in this show and I like to cheer for the underdog.

I thought that Rebecca had gone downhill very rapidly in the previews, so it was nice to find out that Rebecca's rapidly increasing memory problem was partly due to a drug side-effect. Nice that they showed Miguel taking more of a role and a happy shoutout seeing Miguel and Toby have a conversation and bonding a bit more as “the outsiders".

Now to the negatives. After having discussed the BLM movement with various people, I better understand why Randall is hurting. However, I thought that Randall was unnecessarily mean to Kate. Kate is someone who loves him and cares about him and it’s unfair for him to expect a teenage Kate to have understood Randall’s experience as a young black person in the 90's. She told him that she feels sorry now that she didn't understand better, but he didn’t feel that was good enough and ended up badly hurting her.

Finally, the elephant in the room. Randall’s mother didn’t die when we thought that she did. I’m a bit at a loss as to how they are going to work that into the story in some sensible fashion. I’ll give the writers the benefit of the doubt for the time being as I originally thought that the Nicky story was going to be a disaster and Nicky has now become one of my favorite characters on the show. Still, as Pamy and Kitt mentioned, it’s hard to see how they are going to make this work.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Wednesday, October 28, 2020 - 11:34 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
I think Randall was talking about Kate as an adult, not as a child/teenager. You're right, she couldn't have been expected to understand as a teen, but they're 40 now, and from his perspective this was the first time she'd ever spoken to him about his (black) experience.

More than anything, this made me think about how all three children, raised in such a happy, loving family, have such huge issues. Randall's needs as a black child growing up in a white family were not met. Kate ate her pain, and had this weird competitive thing with her mother which challenged her self esteem. Kevin became an alcoholic - probably mostly genetics - but a lot of that came from being left out, as Kate and Randall always appeared to need to have special attention on them.

Parenting is hard. But I think it's good that this perfect family with the perfect dad has so many demons. Family dynamics are rarely what they seem.

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Wednesday, October 28, 2020 - 11:41 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
All good points. I agree it's interesting how the "perfect" family produced adults with so many issues.

I think Jack was a good Dad but they did touch on the fact that he wasn't a perfect person and brought that out in his conversation with his father on the phone when the kids were being born. Both men wanted to be better but Jack, while imperfect, was more successful at that than his father.

Texannie

07-15-2001

Wednesday, October 28, 2020 - 2:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
Thanks, Pamy.
May I just say ditto to Jimmer and Kitt.