TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through January 09, 2018

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: Star Trek: Discovery: Archive through January 09, 2018 users admin

Dipo

04-23-2002

Monday, October 02, 2017 - 12:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Michael Ausiello‏Verified account @MichaelAusiello 2h2 hours ago
More
#StarTrekDiscovery's Jason Isaacs Says Not to Dismiss Lorca's 'Doomed' Plan: 'The Writers' Room Is Full of Diehards'

Strategist

07-01-2014

Thursday, October 05, 2017 - 4:10 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Strategist a private message Print Post    
I'm enjoying Star Trek Discovery. There is a bit of a storyline thread from show to show and it seems quite a bit darker than other series. It does feel like they brought the show forward in some ways. Although, this is a prequel to the original Star Trek. It's going to be interesting to learn how Kirk and Spock happened.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Thursday, October 05, 2017 - 7:00 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
It’s very well made. Interesting and appealing characters and a good plot. Stunning special effects.

My only issue with it (as Strategist mentioned) is it seems too dark (both in appearance and emotion) for Star Trek. The Enterprise was always colorful and brightly lit and it showed a very positive future. I don’t see how they get there from here.

(The Orville looks more like the Enterprise.)

It will be interesting to see if/how they explain Michael and Spock’s relationship.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Thursday, October 05, 2017 - 7:36 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
I agree with everyone's assessment of how it's too dark etcetera etcetera and also too advanced for the timeline in my opinion I personally I think that the worst thing that happened to Discovery is the Orville. The Orville wins in almost every category in my head as it checks off all the boxes that Discovery doesn't.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Thursday, October 05, 2017 - 7:55 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
They've definitely captured the ship appearance (though the special effects aren't as good) and positive emotions. However, the Orville is a little too over the top silly to be like Star Trek.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Thursday, October 05, 2017 - 8:21 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
I agree that the humor is over the top but that's what makes it so lovable. I love how they're not so stiff and formal with each other on the Orville. It took some getting used to but now I love it.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Thursday, October 05, 2017 - 8:44 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Well I do agree that in the original series (the one from the 60's), while they weren't totally casual, they weren't very militaristic either. It wasn't like they barked orders and saluted every other minute. They were pretty relaxed for the most part. Plus they were primarily an exploratory science vessel (something subsequent Star Trek series seem to have lost sight of).

Scooterrific

07-08-2005

Thursday, October 05, 2017 - 8:55 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scooterrific a private message Print Post    
Jimmer is there a show you DON'T watch?

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Thursday, October 05, 2017 - 9:06 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
It's my vampire like ability.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Saturday, October 07, 2017 - 5:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
So why do the Klingon's think "we come in peace" is a bad thing? (I am watching Star Trek Into Darkness and the Klingons are still pretty mad at Starfleet). I remembered they said this in the first show, and wondered if there is backstory on why they hate Starfleet.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Saturday, October 07, 2017 - 5:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I think the story is that the Klingons don't think that it is possible for anyone to come in peace so they see it as trickery and an insult when Starfleet says it.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Saturday, October 07, 2017 - 6:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Ahhhh, that makes sense, thanks.

Sunnyday

08-07-2014

Saturday, October 07, 2017 - 11:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sunnyday a private message Print Post    
Also Klingons are warriors, they don't like anyone. They don't want peace they want war, so they will use any excuse to fight.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Sunday, October 08, 2017 - 1:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Good Point, LOL.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Monday, November 13, 2017 - 8:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Interesting....

EvelDick‏Verified account
@EvelDick
1m1 minute ago
More
I have a new webcast I'll be producing soon. It will be a #StarTrekDiscovery recap with co-hosts @GarrettRWang aka Harry Kim from Voyager &
@AronEisenberg aka Nog from Deep Space 9

Super excited about it. We'll be starting when Discovery starts back up in Jan

More details soon

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Tuesday, November 14, 2017 - 7:49 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
That is exciting and would be worth checking out. I've met and interviewed Garrett Wang he's a cutie and he was very frank with me about not enjoying working with the actress who played the captain. Somewhere I have a photo of he and I together.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Tuesday, November 14, 2017 - 12:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Really, that is interesting Mameblanche, did he just not like Kate Mulgrew or was she just full of herself (as captain) or something?

I always liked her in that role, but that doesn't mean she was nice in real life, LOL.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Tuesday, November 14, 2017 - 2:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
To be honest I really don't remember what his issue with her was but he was real clear about his attitude towards her. I got the vibe though that maybe she was snobby towards some of the cast. But it was around the year 2000 when we chatted and my memory is shite.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Tuesday, December 26, 2017 - 3:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
CBSVerified account@CBS Dec 20
More
Stream Star Trek: Discovery, The Good Fight and No Activity with a 1 month FREE trial.

Use code BINGE by 1/12

Mizinvanccouver

02-21-2003

Monday, January 08, 2018 - 5:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mizinvanccouver a private message Print Post    
I'm surprised nobody is talking about last nights episode, maybe didn't have a chance to watch it yet?!!

If you haven't watched yet, stop reading, spoiler ahead.

What a twist with the them being in another time, it was a really fun but also rather violent episode. I was shocked when he (can't remember his name!) killed the doctor and then also had sex with the lead character. Interesting that he somehow changed in this world, I wonder what that is all about?

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Monday, January 08, 2018 - 7:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Hi Miz... the show irritates the heck out of me but because I'm a Trekkie I keep coming back to it. After each episode I don't think I can take another one and yet... Anyhow for something positive to say I will say that when the captain spoke with a Scottish accent channeling Scotty I thought I was going to fall on the floor laughing it was great I think my favorite moment so far in the series.

Sportsfan

09-03-2007

Monday, January 08, 2018 - 8:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sportsfan a private message Print Post    
So I am guessing this guy is actually a Klingon that was modified surgically to look like a human and had the humans memories implanted as well so he can spy on Starfleet?

Missyb

07-28-2004

Monday, January 08, 2018 - 10:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Missyb a private message Print Post    
Sounds like a plot line on General Hospital. Implanted memories. LOL

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Tuesday, January 09, 2018 - 12:43 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
"What a twist with the them being in another time, it was a really fun but also rather violent episode."

I don't think they're in another time...they're in a parallel universe.

"I was shocked when he (can't remember his name!) killed the doctor and then also had sex with the lead character. Interesting that he somehow changed in this world, I wonder what that is all about?"

Yeah, I couldn't understand why they would kill that character after the hype of finally having a gay relationship on Star Trek.

I'm hoping it was somehow the alternate universe version of the Doctor that got killed....or that the alternate version somehow replaces him. There was a ST Voyager episode where something similar happened to Ensign Kim....he died and so did the newborn baby who was the first one born on the Voyager starship. However, that happened while they were stuck in a split universe with two identical Voyagers and two identical crews. The Kim and baby who died were replaced with the Kim and baby who lived (she became the recurring character, Naomi) and the rest of that alternate ship was destroyed.

They gotta find some way to make the dead doctor (Dr. Culber?)be alive again because he and the chief engineer are so cute together!

Oh yeah....I think that guy who is helping Burnham on the other ship was already "changed" before they wound up in this parallel universe and and he (and the viewers) are just now discovering it.

Mizinvanccouver

02-21-2003

Tuesday, January 09, 2018 - 7:56 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mizinvanccouver a private message Print Post    
Sanfran....oh that is an interesting theory you have about the guy who killed the doctor. I wonder if he was changed the whole time, in both parallel universes?!!! Wouldn't that be something?!! I liked the doctor so I too hope he is alive in the other parallel universe.

It was funny when the guy started speaking with a scottish accent. lol I thought it was funny the new persona of the woman who was then suddenly captain. lol I felt for the old captain when he was in the torture chamber.

I keep watching this show too even though I found the the first episodes rather slow and dry and I was getting bored with having to read subtitles for the Klingons when they spoke.

This was the first episode I really found more interesting.