TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through September 23, 2020

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: Netflix Series Recommendations : ARCHIVES: Archive through September 23, 2020 users admin

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Sunday, September 20, 2020 - 3:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
I am loving Ratched! I started it yesterday and kind of took a break here and there because I didn't want to finish it off too quickly. There are only 8 episodes and I have the final three to watch today.

It feels like a bonus season of American Horror Story, except the plot is too tight...AHS usually has more plots with more characters and back stories. Ratched is more like a typical movie or miniseries that stays pretty much within the confines of the main story. BUT, don't take that as a criticism! This show is compelling, suspenseful, original, and it's got an excellent cast!

Sarah Paulson, Finn Wintrock, Cynthia Nixen, Vincent DiNofrio, Sharon Stone, Judy Davis, Hunter Parrish, and a cameo from Roseanna Arquette! And there are plenty of other actors I don't recognize, but they are exceptional in their portrayals.

It also has a real Alfred Hitchcock vibe....the camerawork and the music especially.

I highly recommend this show to anyone that likes American Horror Story, Pose, The Feud (Bette Davis and Joan Crawford), Hollywood - all shows created by Ryan Murphy and/or is a fan of Alfred Hitchcock's style of storytelling. I love Murphy's and Hitchcock's style of filmmaking, so this show is a perfect hybrid-Twofer. :-)

Right now, I'm feeling grateful because it feels like I'm getting TWO seasons of AHS this season. Of course the actual AHS was meant to air right around now, but production has been delayed because of the virus. Don't worry though - they begin filming in October.

Pamy

01-01-2002

Sunday, September 20, 2020 - 5:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
I'm on ep 5. I'm not in love with it like I was w/Feud, Hollywood & Pose but I do adore all the actors.

Sanfran, I think you hit why I dont love this as much, it's all about 1 character, I love the multi ensemble storylines

Maris

03-27-2002

Monday, September 21, 2020 - 3:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Maris a private message Print Post    
Check out the miniseries Challenger - just fascinating.

Also brit show Criminal.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Monday, September 21, 2020 - 4:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
Pamy, maybe it will grab you in SEASON TWO! YAY!

I just read that it's been renewed for season 2:

------
Good News: 'Ratched' on Netflix Is Definitely Getting a Second Season

https://www.cosmopolitan.com/entertainment/
tv/a34100923/ratched-netflix-season-2-news-cast-date-spoilers/

------

Maybe S02 will delve more into the other characters' lives. I'd bet that Cynthia Nixen's and Judy Davis's (Nurse Bucket - I love her name!) backstories would be interesting. I also want to know more about Sharon Stone's character.

In any case, I like it the way it is. I think it only felt "smaller" to me because I was judging it against American Horror Story. Of course, there some seasons of AHS that were far worse than Ratched (Cult and Roanoke come to mind).

Naja

06-28-2003

Monday, September 21, 2020 - 4:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
We watched episode one today after I saw your raving review, and I really liked it. I wonder if it's only those two actors (Sara and Finn) from AHS? Or are there more?

I joking said to DH that I wondered if this a prequel to to "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" where they focus on Nurse Ratched's journey. haha

Kappy

06-28-2002

Monday, September 21, 2020 - 5:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
To this day, the character Nurse Ratched disturbs me so much that I don't know if I can watch this, lol.

Pamy

01-01-2002

Monday, September 21, 2020 - 7:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
Maris, I just put Challenger on my list.

Sanfran, I'm on ep 6, it has gotten a little better but I still say it moves too slow. and, yes, I will still watch season 2 ! LOL Sharon Stone is delicious in this!

Pamy

01-01-2002

Monday, September 21, 2020 - 7:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
ps, yes this is way better than the dreadful Roanoke!

Pamy

01-01-2002

Monday, September 21, 2020 - 7:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
Did you all notice Joffrey from Fresh Prince is one of the patients in the hospital?

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Tuesday, September 22, 2020 - 12:44 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
"I joking said to DH that I wondered if this a prequel to to "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" where they focus on Nurse Ratched's journey. haha"

I read a review somewhere that called this series Nurse Ratched's "origin story". She was, after all, the super villain of her time!

I think Sara and Finn were the only AHS actors...and I don't know Joffrey or Fresh Prince...but I did notice that one of the Desperate Housewives' Scavo twins, Charlie Carver, was there. He played the burned vet that was promoted to head nurse.

I had an idea for a great ending for Ratched (if it had been a single, standalone season). At the very end, a little epilogue vignette with Louise Fletcher and Jack Nicholson (both still alive and in their 80's IRL)....reprising their characters and having a cup of tea on the patio of that mental institution. They sit across from each other reminiscing about Jack Nicholson's antics in the old Cu-Cu's Nest days. Of course, it would be Nurse Ratched who did all the talking and Jack would just be drooling in his teacup. <Bwahahaha>

Sugar

08-15-2000

Tuesday, September 22, 2020 - 9:23 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Should I try to find One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest and watch it prior to viewing Ratched? I'm not sure if I ever saw all of the original and I think I was too young to grasp all of it.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Tuesday, September 22, 2020 - 10:16 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
I don’t know if this has been discussed already, so I apologize if it has.

For the past 3 weeks I’ve been working my way through all 103 episodes of “Person of Interest” (never having seen it during its original run on CBS). I’d read an article that Netflix would be removing it in September, so I accelerated my viewing. Netflix reminded you as you opened each episode that “This episode will be available until September 22.”

I finished the 103rd and final episode yesterday, September 21, because it wasn’t clear (at least to me and maybe other people) whether September 22 would be the final day it would be available — or — if it would be the first day it would UN-available.

I’m glad I finished them yesterday because the show is not available today. So please keep that in mind if you see a similar message on any show you happen to be watching - they place the message in the upper left hand corner of the screen at the beginning of each episode.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Tuesday, September 22, 2020 - 11:11 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Sugar, it's not really necessary to watch Cuckoo's nest before watching this show. This is Nurse Ratched's origin story, but just suffice it to say, she was really evil in Cuckoo's Nest. I worked at the movie theater (in college) when that movie came out. Saw it several times.

Pamy, I recognized Joffrey right away! It drives me crazy to see so many familiar faces when I'm watching a show, cause I'm always compelled to go right to IMDB.com and see who everybody is and where I've seen them before.
I almost didn't recognize Vincent D'Onofrio! He's put on some weight!

I also agree with SFJF that this show is very Hitchcockian, especially with the camera angles and the background music. We've really been struck by the costumes and set design also. So drenched in color--as opposed to most of Hitchcock's movies, which were mostly in black and white.

We've never watched AHS. Maybe we should put it on the list, although hubby's not usually into that kind of stuff.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Tuesday, September 22, 2020 - 12:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Thanks Babyjaxmom. I think I will give Ratched a try.

Naja

06-28-2003

Tuesday, September 22, 2020 - 12:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I find it's funny that I was totally joking it was prequel to "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest", but it ends up true.

Even wikipedia said:

"Sarah Paulson portrays a younger version of the character in Ryan Murphy's Netflix television series Ratched, a prequel to the One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest film, the first season of which debuted September 18, 2020.[5] Isabelle JoLynn Murphy portrays a young Ratched".

Naja

06-28-2003

Tuesday, September 22, 2020 - 5:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I kept thinking how familiar the last name Bucket seemed. Then I remembered that's Charlie's last name in Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory!

Pamy

01-01-2002

Tuesday, September 22, 2020 - 6:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
Sanfran, THATs where I recognized him from! DH!! Thank you!

BJM, if you like this, you would love Hollywood! You might like a few of the AHS season, Hotel would probably be a good one for you.

Pamy

01-01-2002

Tuesday, September 22, 2020 - 6:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
I thought I heard the original Ratched was going to make a cameo but I didnt see her.

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Wednesday, September 23, 2020 - 8:01 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
AHS first season and Hotel were my favorites.

Rvon

12-11-2003

Wednesday, September 23, 2020 - 8:35 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rvon a private message Print Post    
What does AHS mean?

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Wednesday, September 23, 2020 - 9:00 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
American Horror Story.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Wednesday, September 23, 2020 - 10:45 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Pamy, we did watch Hollywood several months ago. It was edgy, but fun. Thanks.

Maris

03-27-2002

Wednesday, September 23, 2020 - 12:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Maris a private message Print Post    
OMG OMG OMG OMG. I almost posted in breaking headlines -- The great British baking Show has new episodes on friday!!!!!!!!!!!!! Paul's blue eyes................

Kappy

06-28-2002

Wednesday, September 23, 2020 - 1:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
LOL Maris ~ Thank you for the update! I was baking so much during quarantine but stopped because of the summer heat. This will be good timing as the weather gets cooler again - if it ever does get cooler!

Rvon

12-11-2003

Wednesday, September 23, 2020 - 1:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rvon a private message Print Post    
I’m so glad to hear the Great British Baking Show is starting up again. Thanks for the heads up, Maris.