TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through June 30, 2020

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: PBS Shows - General: Archive through June 30, 2020 users admin

Kappy

06-28-2002

Tuesday, November 05, 2019 - 6:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
Yes, Home Fires is on Amazon prime. It turns out that the author of the book it is based on continued writing more books after the tv show was cancelled. It had ended on a cliffhanger so I'm looking forward to reading those.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Tuesday, November 26, 2019 - 10:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
Over the past two nights on PBS -- four part / four hour documentary "College Behind Bars" presented by Ken Burns, directed by Lynn Novick. Excellent! Wasn't paying full attention to it the first three hours. Definitely will watch again.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, November 26, 2019 - 11:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
It is very good! I watched the first two hours and have the next to set to record.

Rieann

08-26-2006

Monday, December 23, 2019 - 8:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
I know many of you watch Call the Midwife. I saw there is a special airing on Christmas Day. Just thought I would pass it on. Here is the trailer...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=w1DGhGLNU8I

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, December 23, 2019 - 10:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I have it on my to record list!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, December 24, 2019 - 2:00 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KQ5blXwFJnM
To get in the mood..

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Monday, January 20, 2020 - 12:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Does anybody know when Call the Midwife starts showing season 9 here in the US? I think it already started in the UK, but not sure when it starts here. We just went to streaming TV, so it's a little trickier finding all my shows.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Monday, January 20, 2020 - 12:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I believe Call the Midwife is due to air at the end of March 2020 on PBS.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, January 20, 2020 - 6:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
That sounds right.

Mak1

08-11-2002

Monday, February 24, 2020 - 8:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mak1 a private message Print Post    
Did anyone watch the Sanditon series? I was disappointed in the finale. I've read there "could be" a second season in the works.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Tuesday, February 25, 2020 - 10:53 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Yes, Mak1. I loved Sanditon, but I was also disappointed in the finale. I've read just about everything by Jane Austen (English Lit major in college and did my senior thesis on Austen). I understand that this was an unfinished work discovered after her death, but whoever finished it really screwed up. It was the most un-Austen finale ever! Nearly all her other books end up with the heroine getting married. I was super disappointed that Charlotte and Sydney didn't end up together. Otherwise I enjoyed it, but the ending really sucked.

If they do a season 2, maybe they'll kill off Mrs. Cameron (or whatever her name was) so Sydney can marry Charlotte!

Rieann

08-26-2006

Tuesday, February 25, 2020 - 12:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
I didn't like the end either. Andrew Davies who wrote the wonderful 1995 Pride and Prejudice did this as well. Methinks he was too cocky about assuming this would be a series. I know that they passed on a second season in Britain, so the only hope is that PBS pulls through for the U.S.

It was nice to see the love story for Esther and Babington. I didn't like her at all to start and then became fond of her.

Rieann

08-26-2006

Tuesday, February 25, 2020 - 12:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
Here is a good article I recently read about Sanditon.

Sanditon’s Creators Know You’re Devastated About That Ending

https://www.vulture.com/2020/02/sanditon-series-finale-charlotte-sidney-ending.html

Spunky

10-07-2001

Tuesday, February 25, 2020 - 2:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Spunky a private message Print Post    
I had the same disappointment, usually they don't end this sadly, even though there was a happy ending for Esther and Babington. To me it felt almost like they left it for a sequel but I hear that's the end of the series. Bummer...

Mak1

08-11-2002

Tuesday, February 25, 2020 - 5:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mak1 a private message Print Post    
I read that article too, Rieann, and it gave me hope. It was awful to feel so bummed at the end of a fictional story.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Friday, March 06, 2020 - 10:41 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Call the Midwife season 9 is to start on Sunday, March 29, 2020.

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Sunday, March 29, 2020 - 11:52 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
Popped in to say the same thing, Sugar. I recommend watching it from the beginning on Netflix.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, March 29, 2020 - 1:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Happy dancing!

Spunky

10-07-2001

Thursday, June 18, 2020 - 8:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Spunky a private message Print Post    
I saw the first ep of Beecham House on Masterpiece, I liked the exotic location of Delhi, India and among those beautiful Indian costumes Beecham's clothes look to me more American than British. The actress playing the British governess doesn't have great looks for the role, or maybe there will be a more sensual woman for Beecham later on, but I'll watch.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Friday, June 19, 2020 - 12:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
I loved Beecham House, but apparently PBS decided not to pick it up for a second season. There's still some hope that one of the streaming services will pick it up. I hope it continues, cause they kind of ended on a cliffhanger. I really enjoy the period pieces. I also enjoyed "Indian Summers" on PBS, which was about the last days of British colonialism in India.

Spunky

10-07-2001

Friday, June 19, 2020 - 2:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Spunky a private message Print Post    
Thanks Baby, I thought it was a premiere but you already saw it. A cliffhanger and not a second season? Too bad, maybe the filming location made it too expensive for a tv show, but it's beautiful. I'll check Indian Summers, I saw the movie The Last Viceroy and it was a good one, and I loved A Passage to India.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Monday, June 29, 2020 - 10:43 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
PBS has been airing a Downton Abbey marathon for days. Keep repeatedly running the whole series for days. Later yesterday they started the last run. Then Downton Abbey will be gone from PBS.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Monday, June 29, 2020 - 11:13 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
I re-watched Downton Abbey on Amazon a couple of years ago. If you have Prime, it was free. Not sure if it's still there. Ack! I just checked and it says, "Leaving Prime on July 1, 2020." Maybe someone else will have it. I also watched the DA movie, but I think I had to pay for it. Worth it!!!

Grooch

06-16-2006

Monday, June 29, 2020 - 12:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
Oh, how I wished I had known about the marathon.

Roteach

06-01-2003

Tuesday, June 30, 2020 - 6:23 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roteach a private message Print Post    
Downton is also on HBO Max now.