TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through January 11, 2020

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: Brit shows - acorn TV, Amazon Prime: Archive through January 11, 2020 users admin

Jasper

09-14-2000

Tuesday, October 31, 2017 - 1:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jasper a private message Print Post    
Whoever recommended Line of Duty. Thank you! I've watched the first 3 seasons and it was so very good!

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Tuesday, October 31, 2017 - 6:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Maris mentioned it first, and I seconded. :-) Loving Janet King on Acron, too.

Irsnappy

01-13-2009

Thursday, November 02, 2017 - 9:10 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Irsnappy a private message Print Post    
Oh I absolutely loved Monarch of the Glen, such funny characters. Was very sorry when it ended.

Jasper

09-14-2000

Tuesday, November 14, 2017 - 9:48 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jasper a private message Print Post    
I don't think I've seen this mentioned and don't know if it is available on Acorn. But if you get a chance, I've been watching Rose and Maloney on a nameless station and it is very good. Sarah Lancashire and Phil Davis. I think the stories are very gripping. They work for the judicial review and review questionable convictions.

Grooch

06-16-2006

Tuesday, December 12, 2017 - 9:18 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
If you like old English type series, I started watching Cranford on Amazon last night. It stars Judy Dench as one of the spinster sisters.

It takes place in 1842 when a new, young doctor comes to a small town. For a town where nothing ever happens, there sure seems to be a lot happening.

I really enjoyed the first episode and learning about the customs at that time. I'm also enjoying the vocabulary, but I'm peculiar. :-)

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Tuesday, December 12, 2017 - 9:59 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
I love Cranford.

Jasper

09-14-2000

Tuesday, December 12, 2017 - 12:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jasper a private message Print Post    
FYI Rose and Maloney is on YouTube in its entirety and was put there free to view by its production company for anyone interested.

Grooch

06-16-2006

Sunday, December 17, 2017 - 6:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
Last Tango in Halifax - A Christmas Special is on PBS right now!

What a nice surprise! To bad I missed the first 20 minutes.

Scout

01-19-2005

Monday, December 18, 2017 - 10:53 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scout a private message Print Post    
Amazon Prime has a really sweet British Christmas movie called, "Lost Christmas". It's very touching.

I loved the Cranford series, too!

Boberg

10-04-2002

Sunday, January 07, 2018 - 3:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Boberg a private message Print Post    
Uncle_ricky have you seen "Happy Valley"...the Vicar is also a lead character in that show only in this show he is evil personified. It really took me some time to adapt to this abrupt change...but actually "Happy Valley" was done before "Granchester"
Check it out and let me know what you think.

Rieann

08-26-2006

Monday, May 13, 2019 - 6:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
Just found out season 5 of Line of Duty is out today on Acorn. Yay!

Also noticed they have a new show called Ms. Fisher's Murder Mysteries which is a spin-off of Miss Fisher's. This has Phryne's niece solving mysteries in 1960's Melbourne. Haven't watched this one yet.

And season 2 of Fleabag will be available on Amazon Prime this Friday.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Saturday, May 18, 2019 - 1:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Yay to all of the above!

Boberg

10-04-2002

Wednesday, August 07, 2019 - 3:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Boberg a private message Print Post    
Line of Duty is excellent and very suspenseful.

another great one from ACORN is "A Place to Call Home" great series.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Wednesday, August 07, 2019 - 4:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Boberg! I just noticed that I never responded to your 1/7/2018 question - please forgive me. Yes, that Peter Norton was divine in both shows and I have to say I much preferred him in "Happy Valley" -- so creepy (but STILL gorgeous)!

Rieann, I just finished both seasons of "Fleabag" -- oh my goodness, SO DELICIOUS!!!

Rieann

08-26-2006

Thursday, August 08, 2019 - 3:52 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
Hey Ricky, so glad you enjoyed Fleabag. It is such a great show. Ending the series that way was perfect.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Thursday, August 08, 2019 - 1:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
I agree completely, Rieann - I was really afraid they wouldn't give us such a satisfying ending. A comedy as profoundly dark as this one is so difficult to pull off successfully. Every scene, every line of dialogue, every cast member -- all of them were first-rate all the way. The episode when we see Fleabag's sister Claire reveal her new hairdo, followed by the two of them storming into the beauty parlor to confront the hairdresser who gave Claire the hairdo was absolutely hysterical; I was peeing my pants!

That Phoebe Waller-Bridge is such a prodigy! Not only playing "Fleabag" but also writing every episode PLUS writing the "Killing Eve" series. She's also one of the screenplay writers on the next James Bond film. And she's only 34 years old. Amazing!

Boberg

10-04-2002

Thursday, August 08, 2019 - 5:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Boberg a private message Print Post    
No problems Uncle_ricky, glad you were able to enjoy Happy Valley.

You guys talk so positively about "Fleabag" I will have to give it a second chance...awhile back I tried the first episode and thought it was silly or slapstick like...but I am gonna give it another try

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Thursday, August 08, 2019 - 7:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I binged Fleabag finally and loved it! She is a treasure and I have never wanted a priest to leave the church so badly.

Rieann

08-26-2006

Friday, August 09, 2019 - 10:43 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
I agree, Mamie! Andrew Scott was a great choice for the priest.

Boberg, try it again. It definitely has dramatic threads intertwined with the comedy. Her relationship with her sister is complex, messy, and wonderful. So happy the actress who plays her sister was nominated as well. And Olivia Coleman is perfect as her stepmother (monster).

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Friday, August 09, 2019 - 10:59 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Olivia Coleman was spot on!

Andrew Scott completely made me forget he was Moriarty.

Cablejockey

12-26-2001

Monday, November 18, 2019 - 3:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cablejockey a private message Print Post    
I have just found a new tv show Dublin Murders on Startz based on Tana French's characters Cassie Maddox and Rob Reilly! So excited!

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Sunday, November 24, 2019 - 9:12 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
I adore the Tana French novels. Waiting for next weekend's free preview of all premium channels on DirecTV and hoping to record what's been shown so far at least.

Boberg

10-04-2002

Saturday, December 14, 2019 - 9:38 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Boberg a private message Print Post    
Rieann I tried Fleabag again and still could not get into it.

Just finished Season 9 of Doc Martin...disappointed in this season...seemed very shallow and lacking any real interest.

Maybe I am just in a bad mood...lol

Rieann

08-26-2006

Sunday, December 15, 2019 - 9:33 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
I get it, Boberg. I feel that way sometimes too. :-)

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Saturday, January 11, 2020 - 4:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I started watching Miranda on Hulu today and I absolutely love it! I was cracking up throughout. Miranda Hart is a gem and Tom Ellis is super yummy.