TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through July 24, 2020

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: Netflix Series Recommendations : ARCHIVES: Archive through July 24, 2020 users admin

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Friday, July 03, 2020 - 5:16 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
What a rip the ending of RECKONING was. 9 good episodes and then the big reveal which wasn't. Don't bother with this mess.

Strategist

07-01-2014

Friday, July 03, 2020 - 6:08 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Strategist a private message Print Post    
Exactly! We got more and more frustrated with the last few episodes.

Naja

06-28-2003

Friday, July 03, 2020 - 7:05 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I thought Reckoning was "ok", but that darn show didn't have a single likeable character.

Rieann

08-26-2006

Friday, July 03, 2020 - 9:47 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
I got frustrated with Reckoning and skipped to the last episode to see what happens.

I really enjoyed Russian Doll. I love Natasha Lyonne.

Rissa

03-19-2006

Monday, July 13, 2020 - 5:59 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
Waited three days until hubby was home to watch THE OLD GUARD with Charlize Theron and it was so worth the wait!! I really enjoyed it. The storyline is right up my alley, and the best kick ass action movie so far this year being headed by two women is a long time coming. I am psyched that the ending hinted (And not subtly) at a sequel !!

Trailer for The Old Guard

Article at EW about The Old Guard

There are no cheap nods to feminism but a male saves the day. No adding a lgbtq character but making it a nod and a wink away from main story. The choreography is perfection. Comic book characters brought fully dimensional by great casting.

Can you tell I enjoyed it? Lol

Eta!!! How could I forget? The villain is played by Harry Melling who played Harry Potter’s cousin Dudley. I know he had to wear a fat suit in the last few Harry Potter films but this is the first time I have seen him since then. He is a great baddie.

Tvwatcher

04-16-2004

Monday, July 13, 2020 - 11:50 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tvwatcher a private message Print Post    
has anyone watched The Money Heist? I watched seasons 1 & 2 and enjoyed them. I just watched the first episode of season 3 and it seems like it's just going to be a rinse and repeat of the first 2 seasons - just wondering if it's worth continuing with it?

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Monday, July 13, 2020 - 2:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
Yes, I watched Money Heist. I think the first season is the best. But I've watched all seasons available and really hope we get another one! I think you continue to learn background info on the characters, but I can't exactly recall.

Tvwatcher

04-16-2004

Monday, July 13, 2020 - 2:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tvwatcher a private message Print Post    
thanks, I'll continue on with it and see where it goes!

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Tuesday, July 14, 2020 - 5:19 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
Love Money Heist. Can't wait to see how they get out of the last place they were.

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Wednesday, July 15, 2020 - 8:14 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
Is Money Heist dubbed? I know there is a better synonym but I can think for the life of me what the word is.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Wednesday, July 15, 2020 - 11:12 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
Yes, it is dubbed. I believe you can watch in Spanish with subtitles if you desire -- but I didn't try it to know for sure. I watched the dubbed versions and I found them to be okay. I normally don't enjoy dubbed, but I miss a lot when I have to read the TV -- can't crochet or do crafts when I can't look down. :-)

Kappy

06-28-2002

Wednesday, July 15, 2020 - 1:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
Lol, Brenda - I was complaining the other night about a show with subtitles because it meant I had to be looking at the screen at all times!

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Wednesday, July 15, 2020 - 1:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
Yeah, I find subtitles to be tiring. Narcos -- excellent show but I had to take a break because I can't multitask at all when watching because it requires so much reading. :-) And I noticed netflix through my cable (comcast) drops subtitles some times. So I have to watch Narcos through netflix on my firestick!

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Wednesday, July 15, 2020 - 3:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
Subtitles was the word I was looking for.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Wednesday, July 15, 2020 - 3:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
dubbed is different than subtitles. I watched money Heist dubbed, so English speaking actors speaking the words, not the original actor's voices. I also watched Dark dubbed. It's a bit distracting. I watch PEaky Blinders with subtitles, because I can't decipher those strong accents sometimes, even though they are speaking English! :-)

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Thursday, July 16, 2020 - 5:46 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
I always use subtitles with British and Australian shows otherwise I'd be lost.

Vickie

07-16-2004

Thursday, July 16, 2020 - 6:06 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Vickie a private message Print Post    
Rissa my husband & I both enjoyed the old guard. We both noticed it did end with the possibility of either another movie or made to be a series. I will be thrilled with either. I am not familiar with the comics so this was all new to me.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Thursday, July 16, 2020 - 12:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
We just started watching Broadchurch last night. It's a show about detectives solving the murder of an 11 year old boy (very tough to watch at times). It stars Oliva Colman (the most recent Queen in The Crown). We are definitely using the CC on this one. The English/Scottish accents are very strong for our American ears! So far we're loving it.

Also on the Netflix list is Alias Grace, which I already watched a couple of years ago, but hubby never saw it. Loved that one too. It starred Anna Paquin.

Vickie

07-16-2004

Thursday, July 16, 2020 - 3:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Vickie a private message Print Post    
Babyjaxmom here is the Broadchurch folder. Just in case you want to see what was talked about. Would of liked it to of gone on.

https://tvclubhouse.com/forum/read.php?file=/6465/16948157.html&lm=1425843636

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Friday, July 17, 2020 - 5:17 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
BROADCHURCH is great. I'd walk on hot coals to watch anything that Olivia Colman is in. I adore her.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Friday, July 17, 2020 - 11:33 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Thanks, Vickie! I'll take a look at that.

Akwarlord47

06-26-2007

Saturday, July 18, 2020 - 6:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Akwarlord47 a private message Print Post    
I loved the old guard and really hope for a sequel or better a series

Maris

03-27-2002

Thursday, July 23, 2020 - 5:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Maris a private message Print Post    
Indian Matchmaker is fascinating to watch. A little anecdote, forty years ago one of my dearest friends was an Indian girl that I had known since 2nd grade. She came from an affluent and influential family and it was expected tht a marriage would be arranged for her and she was all in. So we met at a bar one night and she had about a dozen pictures with stories on each of the men. One guy, handsome, she thought was promising, officer with the Indian navy. Now officers in the Indian Navy can travel with their wives. I said what are you going to do stuck in the middle of the ocean somewhere and you find out that your husband likes to slap you around????? She was like yep ditch him. She married a guy, who ended up being a jerk. He cheated on her, used her money, left her and her kids to shack up with someone else. She divorced him and then he came back when she inherited millions, declaring his undying devotion. So as positive they make this show out, matchmakers were not always successful.

Rvon

12-11-2003

Friday, July 24, 2020 - 11:46 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rvon a private message Print Post    
Maris, I just started watching Indian Matchmaker the other day. Yes, it is absolutely fascinating to see how they go about this tradition.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Friday, July 24, 2020 - 12:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
I know of a couple of Indian (and Pakistani) families in our area. I was talking to one of the Pakistani moms from my son's class (really sweet lady, we had play dates at their house) and mentioned that I knew someone who'd had an arranged marriage. She said, "My marriage was arranged." She said they like to pick someone who's close to the family and that you know well, cause you're gonna spend a lot of time with your MIL (sometimes they even go on the honeymoon!). In her case, she got lucky. Her husband was a really smart, professional man who brought her to America. They had two beautiful kids, who are super smart and really driven to do well in school. Just like our non-arranged marriages, sometimes they work out well and sometimes not.