TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through February 16, 2020

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: Star Trek Picard: Archive through February 16, 2020 users admin

Dipo

04-23-2002

Thursday, January 30, 2020 - 8:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Wil Wheaton is doing a show about this series... it has spoilers.... https://www.instagram.com/tv/B78rO3vIn_4/?igshid=1ea787mb0be4c

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Thursday, January 30, 2020 - 11:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
I paid attention to the opening credits this time.

It starts with little sliver of something that comes out of what looks like a crack in the sky above a vineyard. It floats out and drifts in the wind like a small feather, but it appears to be similar to a shard of glass that's light and floaty. It drifts up and into space to the borg ship that's being reclaimed by the Romulans. It drifted through much of the cube and passed through some tiny little dots floating in the air (or space) and it seemed as if the dots started building something as the shard brushed through them.....you can see a ring formed by them and it grew and then became an eye...also there's a close-up of tiny crystalline looking bits that the shard seemed to leave in it's wake. The little bits made me think of cells splitting to make two.

Then the shard drifted on until it landed on the right side of what seemed to be a synthetic's face that was kind of messed up. It made me think it was possibly a piece of a synthetic's "skin" and was helping to fix the synthetic's face, and then it attached to the face were it fit like a jigsaw puzzle piece. Then, as the angle started started to change, we suddenly see Picard's! I was expecting to see Data's.

Oooooh what does it all mean?

At the start of those credits I was thinking it was a tiny piece of Data that had some of his neural cells in or with it.

The "previously on..." clip had made a point to remind us of something *I* had certainly forgotten. Allison Pill (I forget her character name, she's the blonde researcher who's working with Picard) said that even a single one of Data's neural cells contained ALL of what Data was. I'm thinking she meant what Data was at the start of his "life"....just a basic Data with no personality to speak of and no life experiences yet. All the new synthetics could've started out as the same basic Data model and then been programmed with their own unique identities/ If they found a way to recreate Data's head hardware, they may have also found a way to give them each an emotion chip without any of the issues Data had with his.

When I heard the researcher say that about a single neural cell" I realized that was a way to possibly bring Data back and/or how to explain how all the super human-realistic synthetics were created.

It made me think that each set of twin synthetics were "seeded" by one of Data's neural cells or something along those lines.

When the little shard of "skin" landed on a face and then we saw Picard's face, it made me wonder if Picard is a synthetic but doesn't know it.

It's sci-fi so the possibilities are only limited by one's imagination. :-)

Of course the "story" shown in those opening credits could all just be symbolism that means something entirely different.

--------

Dang, after all that, I just checked youtube and there there were the opening credits...below is a link, so you can all draw your own conclusions as to what it means, if anything. :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBF_7bMlqNk

Kitt

09-05-2000

Friday, January 31, 2020 - 6:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
This is a nice little article on the link between Picard Ep 1 and the Chris Pine Star Trek.

I should watch ep 2 tonight or tomorrow!

https://nerdist.com/article/picard-fixes-star-trek-09-problem/

Weinermr

08-18-2001

Sunday, February 02, 2020 - 9:58 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Weinermr a private message Print Post    
So far I'm enjoying this show, two episodes in. I'm glad it's already renewed for a second season. So far it's a little confusing but as they reveal bits and pieces of what happened leading up to this point, it becomes clearer.

I like Allison Pill's character, and I'm eagerly awaiting seeing Riker and Seven.

They used to use the term androids, and now they're calling them synths. I'm not sure why the change in nomenclature but I can deal with it.

The synths who were part of the betrayal that led to the ban of synths seemed to behave more like the Borg than anything. I hope we learn why that happened sooner rather than later.

Weinermr

08-18-2001

Sunday, February 02, 2020 - 10:02 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Weinermr a private message Print Post    
I am disappointed by the opening theme music. It's not nearly as memorable as most of the old Star Trek themes. Like the original by Alexander Courage, or like the TNG theme (borrowed from the lugubrious Star Trek: The Motion Picture) written by the great Jerry Goldsmith.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Sunday, February 02, 2020 - 12:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
I like the music, I think dramatic themes like from the previous shows might be too much for a gentler show, like I expect to see with Picard. I also wondered about the images, lots of circles in the retina and what might be a corona around a star. Not sure what the skin is symbolising with Picard, but it is the tiny fragment - like "skin" cells - of Data that could start a whole new race of synths, so it seems curious to point that out with Picard. Possibly a bit of data could cure him, maybe, this "parietal lobe abnormality"?? But probably not.

Re synths/androids. I think they're called synths now because they are made of flesh, whereas androids like Data had metal parts. Somehow her positronic network is made of flesh too, neurons rather than wires I suppose.

And it was 14 years ago the (yes, Borg-like and also I-Robot like) synths started freaking out. Pretty extreme right from the start, yet it was four years before the big event, when they took the armada.

Harsh how the young man at the Starfleet reception desk didn't recognise Picard, and that the new Starfleet top dog basically said he was no one now.

Dahj's sister's first name is Soji. The closed captioning spelled it out for me. And were they suggesting that Dahj had lied to Picard when she said she didn't know she was a twin (because Soji had sent messages to Dahj), or did Dahj not get the messages?

And the Borg on the cube are like zombies? Alive but not? Or are they just killing them to take their parts off? I didn't get that.

So Picard thinks the Romulan secret police were after Dahj, but actually it's either Starfleet, or just that one Starfleet Vulcan and her evil sidekick (and Narek/Treadaway is her brother). The sidekick had morphed away her pointy ears, but I presume she and Narek are actually Romulans, not Vulcans in disguise. Curious.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Monday, February 03, 2020 - 4:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
Interesting and informative video concerning easter eggs in the pilot of ST Picard...even though it totally debunks my interpretation of the opening credits. :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyA_Etw30mM

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Monday, February 03, 2020 - 4:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
oops...double post

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Monday, February 03, 2020 - 4:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
Here's the same guy talking about easter eggs and back story from episode 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2q84RgD96Y

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Tuesday, February 04, 2020 - 10:42 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Thanks! I found the links very helpful. I am still struggling to like this show. I am hopeful for an ep to fully engage me emotionally.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Tuesday, February 04, 2020 - 1:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
I'm thinking about holding back watching this show for the rest f the season until they have all aired and then binging them. I tend to get the most out of complicated shows that way.

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Tuesday, February 04, 2020 - 3:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
From my "selfish" perspective that would be a shame because I love reading your comments about each episode. :-)

Dipo

04-23-2002

Thursday, February 06, 2020 - 7:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Anne Wheaton @AnneWheaton ยท 6h
Fans of #StarTrekPicard! There's a new episode up today (lots of platforms to watch it on so hopefully you've found it by now.) After you watch, check out the new episode of The Ready Room here for all kinds of cool behind-the-scenes stuff and interviews!
https://instagram.com/tv/B8OsysMHf4R/?igshid=1ul3wijef711p

Kitt

09-05-2000

Friday, February 07, 2020 - 1:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
I would miss you too, Sanfran!

I haven't felt like watching The Ready Room shows with Wil Wheaton. I'm using the Big Bang Show as my treadmill tv at the moment, so I've seen a lot of Wil Wheaton being evil, and somehow I always have difficulty shedding other characters. If you find any (non-spoiler) revelations from there though, could you please share them?

The Easter Egg videos were fun. Wow they have good memories! I wonder where his analysis of the opening scene came from, whether it's the official one or something he's worked out.

It also pointed out that the makeup artist for the show Picard interviewed with was a Trill, like Dax, and has the dots. She looks a bit like Picard's Romulan housekeeper, so I wonder if that's why someone above... can't find the post now, but I'm sure someone above thought the Romulan housekeepers had Trill spots, so perhaps that was why they thought that.

I did see the show last night, but I might have to watch it again before I say much. But Hugh Borg actor was the ex-Borg with Soji, but I don't think he was meant to be Hugh, just a borg... did anyone catch whether he was meant to be the same person?

Also I might have a crush on Narek (Treadaway).

Sanfran, for shows with a lot of detail I watch the show when it airs, then watch it again directly before the next episode. That way everything's sunk in a bit and it's much easier to understand, and makes the next episode easier to follow too. Depends if you have the time though.

Roteach

06-01-2003

Friday, February 07, 2020 - 3:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roteach a private message Print Post    
The Trill post was from me Kitt but now I can't see the dots on the housekeeper. Maybe they were just freckles.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Friday, February 07, 2020 - 5:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Yeah, I've been a bit obsessed with looking at the Romulan foreheads since you or someone mentioned ridges. It seems like Romulan women don't have any, and Romulan men vary from none (Narek) to kind of little bumps at the outside of the eyebrows, to more of a sweeping ridge across the entire low forehead. I wonder if the differences will eventually mean something.

Oh, and accent watchers (possibly just me), I was amused that the female Housekeeper described another Romulan as a "northerner, like you" when talking to the male Housekeeper. If he were a human, Brits would describe him as a Northerner (from his accent) but the female Housekeeper is Irish so to her geographically wouldn't he be a southerner...?

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Friday, February 07, 2020 - 7:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Have to admit, the last few moments of the latest ep got to me.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Saturday, February 15, 2020 - 2:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
"Oh, and accent watchers (possibly just me), I was amused that the female Housekeeper described another Romulan as a "northerner, like you" when talking to the male Housekeeper."

Maybe she was referring to where on Romulus he came from. It was destroyed just 20 years before, right? The housekeepers were Romulus residents that were saved in the evacuation. I'm sure there were various areas with a range of beliefs in different areas.

I have a friend from Alabama. He still has a little bit of racism in him that comes out once in awhile. I always make a remark about it when he says something racist that he didn't think of as being racist. And I think "Oh yeah, he's from Alabama"....even though he has lived here in SF for 40 years.

Romulus probably has regions with different beliefs and attitudes, too.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Saturday, February 15, 2020 - 2:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
Something I noticed in the latest episode...

Narek said something about needing to understand why so many Romulans they had "reclaimed" from the Borg ship had gone insane.

My first thought was that maybe it was due to Hugh. Hugh had some bit of code that he thought might start a change away from the hive mentailty. He got it from Geordi when he (Hugh) was on the Enterprise I think. He went back to the cube and when he reconnected to the hive brain, that code was disiminated to all the borg on that ship.

Anyhow, I'd assume some species of humanoids that had been assimilated had brains that work differently and their brains just couldn't handle the new code without "crashing". Maybe the borg nanobots were incompatible with some individuals in a different species.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Saturday, February 15, 2020 - 3:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Yes, re: the accents, I think that's what they were saying about the accents, that he came from the Northern part of Romulus where, presumably, they all talk like him. But as he would by his accent be instantly labelled with the same exact phrase, a Northerner, were he to open his mouth in England, it amused me.

I'm had to check to see if this was filmed in the UK - it wasn't - because of the UK characters. Treadaway is British, and I presume his sister in the show is too (if not, her British accent is good). And this week, the Romulan boy, now grown, who was living with the women is an obvious Kiwi, although he seems to mostly try to hide it.

I need to watch again about the Borg-Romulans. Was it originally Hugh's ship or is Hugh just there to help them? I missed that. If it was Hugh's ship it would make sense the assimilated Borg acted differently to others they had encountered.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Saturday, February 15, 2020 - 5:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
Was it originally Hugh's ship or is Hugh just there to help them?"

I don't think that's been revealed yet (I could be wrong), but it is a dead ship and a "reclaimed" Hugh is there so who knows? The last we saw him he was still Borg, but had some or all(?) of his individuality back.

I just assumed it was likely that this ship was the one he shared the code with.

Do you remember what that code was? I seem to recall it was a simple command/thought like "I am an individual" or something like that?

Kitt

09-05-2000

Saturday, February 15, 2020 - 9:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
I think they didn't put the code in him in the end. They wanted to put in an unsolvable maths problem, which would basically keep the Borg preoccupied, but as Hugh became more individual, Dr Crusher and others told Picard it wasn't right to use him to destroy his own species. Picard eventually decided to talk to Hugh, realised he was indeed an individual, and they decided not to put the code in him.

But the Borg were still after Hugh, and Hugh knew he would put the others in danger if he stayed with them, so decided he must leave so the Borg could take him safely. And they all thought he could infect the others anyway, not with the code, but with his individuality.

Which did work, as we saw in later episodes.

I think I'm going to find the Hugh episodes on Netflix tomorrow, replay them.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Sunday, February 16, 2020 - 3:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
I found a good explanation about the story of Hugh....from his first appearance on ST TNG until where he is now on ST Picard. It also explains everything about the "code" that I was referring to (but just had a hazy memory of). It filled in the gaps of what I remembered fairly quickly and easily.

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Hugh

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Sunday, February 16, 2020 - 4:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
"I need to watch again about the Borg-Romulans. Was it originally Hugh's ship or is Hugh just there to help them? I missed that. If it was Hugh's ship it would make sense the assimilated Borg acted differently to others they had encountered."

The link I posted doesn't really answer that....but it may in the future. On TNG Hugh went back to his cube without that "kill code", but the individuality he found in himself while aboard the Enterprise remained a part of him. Apparently it was his memory of his time on the Enterprise, coupled with his own personal individually, that spread to the others in the cube and broke down the hive mind in that cube and it rendered them confused and useless.

Then "Borg Central" just disconnected that cube from the hive mind to keep the rest of the borg from going nuts and understanding individuality.

Some time after the cube was cut off, Lor found it and used it to build his borg army on TNG and Hugh was involved with that.

The article doesn't say whether the Romulans' research cube is the same one that Hugh was originally in and that Lore discovered and used for his own villainous plan.

However, the Roms are now working in a discarded borg cube that had been disconnected from the hive mind (like Hugh's was) and a reclaimed Hugh is now working with the Romulan's reclamation of this cube.
-----
My theory:

*I* think there are way too many "coincidences" for this to be a different cube than the one where Hugh was originally "getting his borg on". :-)

Kitt

09-05-2000

Sunday, February 16, 2020 - 6:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
I watched the episodes, that is basically it for how Hugh infected the others. There were too many "discordant voices" and their Borg cube couldn't decide on the way to do anything. I didn't hear anything about the Borg just releasing Hugh's cube, but presumably that's what happened. In the Borg/Lore episodes Hugh tells Riker that their cube just kind of floated adrift, and Lore found it. And he was mad at them (and at the beginning didn't want to help them) because they hadn't told him they thought his individuality would infect the others, and it was that individuality that made them all susceptible to someone like Lore.

And Lore's promise of making them a perfect mix of their biomechanics and Lore's brains was appealing, so Lore became the leader of Hugh's Borgs. Then a team of Borg led by Hugh split away from Lore and the others when they realised Lore was evil.

One possibly relevant thing is that to join the two species (Borg and Lore/Data) Lore was experimenting on the Borg by removing some of the Borg devices, and all the Borg Lore experimented on (removed devices from) got brain damage just like what is happening on ST:Picard.

In the Lore/Borg episodes the Borg didn't have a Borg cube, they had large Borg ships, that looked more like normal spaceships. But that was probably a production choice, and they could have had their cube "parked" somewhere, and Hugh and his guys later went back to it. The episodes ended with our guys telling Hugh he was the leader now Lore was deactivated, and Hugh said he wanted them to learn to function as individuals as well as in a group.

Given that this was the beginning of season 7 of ST:TNG, and Nemesis was 20 years ago, I'm guessing this was around 30 years ago compared to ST:Picard. So the separated Borg could have really developed and thus we get Hugh as pretty much a normal functioning person now.