TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through December 20, 2018

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: Doctor Who/Torchwood: Archive through December 20, 2018 users admin

Saggkl

07-16-2002

Friday, September 08, 2017 - 3:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Saggkl a private message Print Post    
Does this rumor mean they might bring back Torchwood?

Kitt

09-05-2000

Friday, September 08, 2017 - 3:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
They already have brought back Torchwood... kind of, there are some AUDIO only episodes that were released last month, with some more to come. But they're very expensive, and of course audio not video makes them less appealing, at least to me.

www.bigfinish.com

If you click on the CD names they give you some info about the episodes. They are official - Jack and Gwen are in them and they were created with help of Russell T.

Roteach

06-01-2003

Friday, September 08, 2017 - 4:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roteach a private message Print Post    
Big Finish has been doing audios with many of the Doctors and now with the Torchwood team. Ianto is alive in this series I believe.

Saggkl

07-16-2002

Tuesday, September 12, 2017 - 3:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Saggkl a private message Print Post    
Wow do they want blood? To much for me.

Calamity

10-18-2001

Wednesday, July 18, 2018 - 7:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Calamity a private message Print Post    
So I was skimming the current EW and there is a feature on the new Doctor. Haven't read it yet but I'll get to it. I don't know when the next season starts - will it be Christmastime?

Her costume reminds me a bit of of Mork's (Robin Williams) which I actually found a bit endearing. I doubt that was the inspiration though.

In other DW news, I see BBCA is airing an animated special tomorrow night. My DirecTv guide doesn't have a synopsis - all it says is that it's titled "The Lost Episode", features Tom Baker, and the story is by Douglas Adams (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy). I will check it out. I tried to watch that animated Daleks mini-series with Dr. 2 but didn't make it past the first episode.

Also in EW is a small spread on Good Omens, my favorite Neil Gaiman book. I had heard it was being filmed but didn't know anything else about it. David Tennant is playing demon Crowley! I think he could be really good in that role. Michael Sheen is not how I pictured angel Aziraphale but that's okay. Problem is it will air on Amazon & I don't even get the Internet at home. (But I will be paying off my mortgage this Friday, also the anniversary of the Moon landing! And Apollo 11 and I are the same age.) Oh and Jon Hamm is in it too.

Wargod

07-16-2001

Wednesday, July 18, 2018 - 9:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wargod a private message Print Post    
The only date for the premiere I've seen so far, Calamity, is this fall. Nothing more specific yet. I saw something on Twitter about a trailer or something being premiered at San Diego Comic Con (this week? next week?) so maybe there will be an announcement then as to the date.

I'm the opposite...I don't have cable, but do have Amazon Prime and Netflix. Unfortunately, it'll be a while before I see this coming season of Doctor Who.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Thursday, July 19, 2018 - 10:40 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
As far as I know, the "Lost Episode" is an animation of an episode Douglas Adams wrote for the actualy show, back in the 70s when Tom Baker was The Doctor. For some reason the original episode didn't get made, hence the "lost."

Ooo yes, found a link about it: https://www.cnet.com/news/douglas-adams-doctor-who-shada-bbc-tom-baker/

It says it's only PARTIALLY animated, and the scenes that were filmed are in there too! That sounds... bizarre!

Kitt

09-05-2000

Thursday, July 19, 2018 - 1:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Here's the trailer:
https://tvline.com/2018/07/19/doctor-who-season-11-trailer-jodie-whittaker-bbc-america-video/

It just says "Fall 2018" for a premiere date. I'm guessing September.

Roteach

06-01-2003

Thursday, July 19, 2018 - 2:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roteach a private message Print Post    
It seems that we get our episodes pretty much on the same day as the UK (or is that only the Christmas episode?) I thought we usually get them around mid-September or early October. Has anyone heard how many episodes there will be this season? Just a thought, this weekend is San Diego Comic Con and the new Doctor Who team is supposed to be attending. I would say that they would mention a start date for the US then. I will keep a lookout for info.

Roteach

06-01-2003

Thursday, July 19, 2018 - 4:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roteach a private message Print Post    
Here's a link to the first full Doctor Who trailer. It is from Radio Times. https://www.radiotimes.com/news/tv/2018-07-19/first-full-doctor-who-trailer-finally-shows-us-jodie-whittaker-in-action/ Hmm. I don't see a link to the trailer. There is a video at the bottom but I think it's only showing what panels will be at the con. Scroll down to the very bottom with what looks like a cover for a 13th Doctor DVD. That's where the trailer is.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Thursday, July 19, 2018 - 6:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Looks like it will be October.

10 episodes.

Unless they change things, they will air the same day as in the UK, almost always Saturdays.

Roteach

06-01-2003

Friday, July 20, 2018 - 6:19 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roteach a private message Print Post    
Kitt. Thanks for the info. I do think you are correct in all that you posted. I think 12's last season had 10 episodes plus the Christmas episode. October had better come quickly.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Friday, July 20, 2018 - 3:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Doctor Who cast Comicon interview with Mike Ausiello:

https://tvline.com/2018/07/20/doctor-who-season-11-spoilers-jodie-whittaker-video/

I haven't watched it yet but I'm guessing it has vague spoilers.

Roteach

06-01-2003

Friday, July 20, 2018 - 3:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roteach a private message Print Post    
Kitt. thank you SO much for posting this.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Friday, July 20, 2018 - 6:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
You're welcome :-)

Calamity

10-18-2001

Tuesday, July 24, 2018 - 7:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Calamity a private message Print Post    
Thanks for the updates & info, everyone.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Wednesday, July 25, 2018 - 2:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Did anyone watch the special episode? It was SOOOO Seventies! I loved it. And quite surreal with it switching in and out of cartoons.

Roteach

06-01-2003

Wednesday, July 25, 2018 - 3:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roteach a private message Print Post    
Here's a YouTube link to the ComicCon panel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGpi2Jmbr4M&feature=youtu.be

Roteach

06-01-2003

Wednesday, July 25, 2018 - 3:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roteach a private message Print Post    
Kitt, I watched and yes it was so old school Doctor Who. He was my first Doctor so it was like going home for me.

Calamity

10-18-2001

Sunday, August 05, 2018 - 7:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Calamity a private message Print Post    
Watched most of the special. I thought it was on for two hours, rather than three, and fell asleep just before the end. The switching between animation and live-action worked fine. The comic book-style animation looked better for the backgrounds than some of the characters though.

Maybe they can adapt the technique for other older works with missing film.

And I finally read the EW article. There wasn't much to it actually. But I am curious about the three new companions and how they will fit with new Doctor. Now that I've looked up which past DW episodes the new show runner has worked on, though, I'm a little concerned. But maybe he will be great! Fingers crossed.

That same issue of EW also had an article about The Magicians. I don't watch much TV anymore but I do look forward to TM, despite its flaws. In some ways the tv series is a winking reference to its source novels just as its own book series winks (and often sneers) at Narnia & Hogwarts. I think the second season was best so far.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Wednesday, September 05, 2018 - 11:25 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
The new series has moved to Sundays from its usual Saturday spot.

Premiere is Sunday October 7th, by the sound of it at around 10am Pacific, as they said it will correspond to the UK premiere time. Then it repeats at the normal evening time slot.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Friday, October 05, 2018 - 1:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
From tvline.com

"This Sunday’s Doctor Who season premiere will now be simulcast coast-to-coast at 1:45 pm ET/10:45 am PT on BBC America. An encore presentation will air at 8 pm ET/PT, featuring bonus interviews with star Jodie Whittaker and footage from New York Comic Con."

Roteach

06-01-2003

Friday, October 05, 2018 - 3:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roteach a private message Print Post    
I have both episodes set on my DVR. I am so happy that we finally have new episodes.

Jasper

09-14-2000

Thursday, December 20, 2018 - 1:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jasper a private message Print Post    
A FYI. There is no Christmas special this year. But there will be a New Years Day special.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Thursday, December 20, 2018 - 5:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
Jodie Whitaker is now at the top of my Favorite Doctor Who List.

I usually have no problem with a newly regenerated Doctor. I started watching DW in 2005 when Christopher Eccles was the Doctor for that one year. It wasn't as jolting as I'd expected it to be when suddenly Eccles was replaced with Tennant. And I didn't see much of a difference between Smith and Tennant....but I especially liked Capaldi because he was a lot different and older.

When I first read that Jodie Whitaker was to be the new Doctor, she came across (in some interview or another) as more a serious, kind of posh actress with a more restrained and elegant personality as opposed to the wackiness of the previous Doctor actors. I was SO wrong...she immediately won me over with her portrayal. It took me all of 2 minutes to realize she's my favorite. Whitaker does indeed have the innate wackiness of the previous Doctors but she also seemed to bring a little more heart to the role.

I loved the whole season but I was a bit irked when I realized it was shorter than most (only 10 episodes plus a holiday special instead of the typical 12 or 13) because mainly I didn't realize the season was over until after I'd seen the finale! And now I hear that the show won't return until 2020. But at least I still have the New Year's Special to look forward to.

So...there, I said it out loud. I think Jodie Whitaker was a much better Doctor than David Tennant!
<bracing for attack by an angry mob of Tennant-loving Whovians> :-)