TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through February 09, 2020

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: Oscars 2020: Archive through February 09, 2020 users admin

Sugar

08-15-2000

Saturday, February 08, 2020 - 10:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Just got home from day 2 of the AMC Oscar Best Picture Showcase. Most of the movies this year were pretty average IMO.

Ford V Ferrari:
It was ok, nothing spectacular. The performances were fine and the story OK.

Joker:
Absolutely hated it. Long, dull, boring. Joaquin Phoenix's performance is quite overrated. Very flat and one level except for a bit towards the end.

Little Women:
It was fine, don't think we really needed yet another version of this movie. I don't get all the Greta Gerwig love...

JoJo Rabbit:
Hands down, my favorite. I found it rather witty and enjoyed the performances. Wouldn't mind Scarlett Johansson getting the Best Supporting Actress Oscar for this movie.

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood:
I found it to be a bit dull and plodding, could have easily cut 30 or more minutes. Some nice scenes well acted but boring.

Parasite:
Probably my 2nd favorite film. I had read to go into the movie knowing nothing about it so I did. I was surprised since I thought it was going to be a pandemic theme. I was wrong. A dark comedy. Well done.

1917:
Snore. It was very underwhelming. Nicely filmed but just another war movie.

Marriage Story:
Well done. May have a wee crush on Adam Driver. Scarlett Johansson is a better actress than I ever gave her credit for being.

The Irishman:
Have not seen this yet, may watch it tomorrow although it doesn't really appeal to me.

I haven't seen all the acting nominated movies which is unusual for me. I do not understand the Laura Dern nomination for Marriage Story it is the same thing she does in every role. As I said, I hope Scarlett wins in the Supporting Category and Adam Driver for Leading Actor.

I had way too much popcorn today.

Pamy

01-01-2002

Saturday, February 08, 2020 - 10:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
ty for the reviews!!

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Sunday, February 09, 2020 - 8:22 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
Thanks for the insight. I could not agree with you more on Joker if I had posted it myself. Isn’t Marraige Story on Netflix? Ive loved Adam Driver since “Girls”. I also agreed with you on Once Upon A Time In Hollywood. Makes me take pause with wanting to see 1917.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Sunday, February 09, 2020 - 8:48 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Thank you Sugar. I have to day I never did understand all the hype for Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. Every time I saw a clip it seemed boring to me.

And I have to admit I haven't even heard of half of the other movies!

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Sunday, February 09, 2020 - 11:28 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Thanks Sugar. I don't always agree with your reviews but I enjoy reading them!

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Sunday, February 09, 2020 - 12:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
I guess I thought Marriage Story was made by Netflix and therefore didn’t qualify for an Oscar.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Sunday, February 09, 2020 - 12:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Both Marriage Story & The Irishman are on Netflix.

I would like to see some surprise winners tonight. I get a bit tired when the same things sweep all the various awards, especially when they are not the winners I would choose.
I think Olivia Coleman is a good actress and did a nice job in the horrible movie, The Favorite, but last years Best Actress really should have gone to Melissa McCarthy for Can You Ever Forgive Me. Best Supporting Actor should have gone to either Richard E Grant for Could You Ever Forgive Me or Adam Driver for Blackkklansman which also should have won Best Picture.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Sunday, February 09, 2020 - 12:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Lakecat, last year was the 1st time a Netflix movie was nominated, Roma. It caused quite an uproar so I was a bit surprised to see 2 Netflix films nominated this year. I believe there is some talk about not allowing streaming service movies and rather expect them to be ineligible in the near future.
BTW, Roma was dull and not the least bit interesting to me. I kept falling asleep.

Naja

06-28-2003

Sunday, February 09, 2020 - 2:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I really enjoyed all of the nominees except "Ford v Ferrari". Since it had racing in it, I thought DH would like it, but he didn't even make it halfway through out of boredom.

My favs are:
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
JoJo Rabbit
Marriage Story
Parasite

Enjoyed but not as much:
The Irishman
Joker
Little Women

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Sunday, February 09, 2020 - 4:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
Billy Elish is so pretty too bad she’s concerned about trying to be edgy and getting attention,I would love to see her in a pretty gown with normal hair. Seems like if not at the Oscars,then when?

Sugar

08-15-2000

Sunday, February 09, 2020 - 5:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Billie Eilish looks like a young gothy Cruella DeVille, gawdawful. Sure, it's her thing, but that don't make it anything but ugly.

Rieann

08-26-2006

Sunday, February 09, 2020 - 5:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
I don't understand how Renee Zellweger has been winning for Judy. I couldn't get past seeing anyone but Renee. I first felt that when I saw the trailer. I thought I would give the movie a shot as she was going for capturing the essence of Judy. Nope. Didn't work for me.

I've only seen Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, Parasite, and JoJo Rabbit. Enjoyed all, but thought Parasite was the best.

Texannie

07-15-2001

Sunday, February 09, 2020 - 6:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
Who was the woman who opened the show? She was great!

Sugar

08-15-2000

Sunday, February 09, 2020 - 6:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
From the clips I've seen, I thought Renee did a pretty good Judy but I have not seen the movie. Not a big Renee Z fan. Scarlett J might pull the win for leading actress.

Bluejaxrock

04-23-2004

Sunday, February 09, 2020 - 6:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Bluejaxrock a private message Print Post    
Texannie, that was Janelle Monae. She's a singer and actress and was in Hidden Figures and the Steve Carrell film who's name escapes me.

Keldogg

08-12-2005

Sunday, February 09, 2020 - 6:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Keldogg a private message Print Post    
So happy Hair Love won the Oscar!

Only nomination I cared about this year!

Dipo

04-23-2002

Sunday, February 09, 2020 - 6:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Not watching but saw this on twitter.
The Academy @TheAcademy· 10m
#Oscars Moment: Brad Pitt wins Best Supporting Actor for @OnceInHollywood

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Sunday, February 09, 2020 - 7:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Is that the actress from This is Us singing?

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Sunday, February 09, 2020 - 7:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
I love Renee and liked her in this role. Renee has a distinct voice and sometimes it would come out while she was portraying Judy, but she did get her mannerisms down and did all her own singing. I’m not watching but really wanted to see Brad win, I’m sorry I missed it.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Sunday, February 09, 2020 - 7:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Yes, that is Chrissy Metz singing.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Sunday, February 09, 2020 - 7:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Thank you Sugar!

Rieann

08-26-2006

Sunday, February 09, 2020 - 7:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
It was weird that they didn't introduce her. She has a good voice.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Sunday, February 09, 2020 - 7:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I was a bit embarrassed for Janelle Mornae during her opening number. They definetly needed another rehearsal. She couldn't get her jacket off or hung up, then had trouble putting on the sweater. Who let her go out with her blouse unbuttoned?

Sugar

08-15-2000

Sunday, February 09, 2020 - 7:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Who is singing right now and why allow a song you have to keep silencing the naughty bits. Was this a nominated song?

Snoopsmom

02-19-2003

Sunday, February 09, 2020 - 7:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Snoopsmom a private message Print Post    
It was Eminem. From what I found on twitter the name of the song is Lose Yourself and it won the best song Oscar in 2003. No idea why he was on to sing it 17 years later.