TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through January 16, 2020

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: Emergence on ABC: Archive through January 16, 2020 users admin

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Thursday, December 12, 2019 - 10:58 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
That Benny and the social worker turned out to be AIs was surprising.

I just don't understand if Benny was an AI and his goal was always to retrieve Piper, why he had to wait so long? And why the social worker ruse? He could have just taken Piper at any time.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, December 12, 2019 - 2:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
With you in confusion!

Dying to hear what San Fran thinks, too.

They WERE glowing, correct?

🎆👽💀

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Thursday, December 12, 2019 - 3:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
Yep, they were glowing. I was really thinking that Emily would turn out to be an A.I. but the fact that it was the reporter and "mean bridge diving lady" is just as good. :-)

Looks like there are more A.I. "people" than we thought. For all we know, there are thousands of them. We know of at least three, including the ones revealed in the last episode, but they seemed too organized to just be a single pair of robots. They have an agenda that has yet to be revealed and my feeling is they they are from a much larger organized group. And I still wonder about Emily...

Oh yeah, don't forget that weird ghost town/neighborhood that Piper used to live in. Why would they erect an entire suburb neighborhood for just one girlbot? I got the idea it was meant for training new A.I.s like those neighborhoods the Russians created to train spies meant to infiltrate the general population of America.

This all looks to me like a MUCH bigger operation that what we've seen so far.

Just how much of a reach do these A.I.s have? Are there any A.I.s that live in town, like neighbors, or cops or store owners? Politicians? Corporate CEOs?

It seems to me that most sci-fi shows about some kind of special character (alien, robot, mermaid, whatever) from a group that existed in the world without having been discovered by the general population (like "Angel", "Siren" "Star Crossed", "Roswell", etc),....often turns out to identify with, and becomes an ally of, humans against a takeover by the "special" group.

Looks like Piper has evolved past the agenda of her "people" and into a rogue robot that will be working against her own "people" and helping the humans.

That's just my guess based on seeing many sci-fi shows that used this same formula that seems to be coming to light in "Emergence".

-----

Sidebar - It's nice to see "Wayne Rigsby" on TV again....I haven't seen Owain Yeoman in anything since he played Rigsby in The Mentalist. I'm sure he was in other things since then but they must have been shows I didn't watch.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Thursday, December 12, 2019 - 4:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
"And why the social worker ruse? He could have just taken Piper at any time."

I'm thinking that since they aren't human, we don't know their objectives yet. They are playing a long game of some kind and I don't think they are as impulsive or emotional like humans. I don't think they are reactive in the same ways as humans. I never wonder what my Mac's "intent" is when it does something unexpected because it "thinks" differently than I do. I hope it never becomes aware like Piper because it has all my passwords personal information! :-)

I think they felt they needed to convince Piper to join them willingly. I get the impression she's a very special upgraded A.I. (unlike others made before her) and if she doesn't trust them they won't be able use her in whatever plot they're cooking up. They want to control her but she's stronger than they are (maybe they can't throw cars around like Piper can.)

That "make her trust us plan" didn't work out so I think they had to resort to Plan B. Brute force.

Now they have her but she's under control with that bracelet and she's not happy about it.
Now they'll try to "fix" or update her or win her over somehow, but I think that now she's too smart to allow herself to be limited by their malware. Emily letting Piper know what she is made Piper aware of possible malware attacks or future updates designed to change who she is.

Letting Piper know she is an A.I. didn't cause a "fatal error" but now she knows she could be vulnerable to unwanted updates and programming...she may have already created her own anti-virus software protection.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, December 12, 2019 - 4:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
The bridge dive was something else and super human, for sure!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, December 12, 2019 - 4:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I hope you are right about Piper having the awareness to stay a step ahead.

She had voiced that she realized that the sheriff had put family at risk to help Piper and that most people would not do that.

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Thursday, December 12, 2019 - 6:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I'm still enjoying this show and I love Sanfran's analysis of these shows. I'm looking forward to seeing where they go with this!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, December 12, 2019 - 10:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Same.

💛 show
💛 San Fran
💛 Sadiesmom behind the scenes
💛 that we have a group of interested posters.

Still thinking of that crazy bridge dive.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Thursday, December 12, 2019 - 11:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
"I'm still enjoying this show and I love Sanfran's analysis of these shows."

Thanks, guys, but don't forget that my "analysis" is probably about 1 part what they showed and 5 parts of "speculation"....all organized by reliance on what I've seen in other sci-fi shows!

:-)

I wasn't sure I'd like this show when I first started watching and recognized an often used plot formula, but got more interested when it started going down not so familiar paths. I need some unpredictability in my sci-fi!

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Friday, December 13, 2019 - 2:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
💛 show
💛 San Fran
💛 Sadiesmom behind the scenes
💛 that we have a group of interested posters.

Moi aussi!!! I love shows that take unexpected turns. As much as I like being able to predict what's going to happen (who's the killer), I love it when shows surprised me and take an unexpected path. Good writing!

Also love discussing all this stuff with all of you!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, January 08, 2020 - 12:34 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Did anyone watch?

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Wednesday, January 08, 2020 - 7:19 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Not yet. :-)

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Wednesday, January 08, 2020 - 11:29 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
I watched late, always looking for visuals, but also following the script.
Not sure why Piper was reaching out and still not wanting to see them. it was a disconnect to me.

so....

AI work started a longtime ago and did amazing things
or
Aliens.

the magnets on the boat is really more interesting right now.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, January 08, 2020 - 12:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
15 years seems to be when they arrived, or were created or converted.

Piper might have reached out to say to stay away 😧

Have to say that they do not need a romance between the FBI agent and the Sheriff, but it looks like it is headed that way.

And yes, the magnetic stuff on the boat.

Leaving his cell phone in the boat, yes it will track, but those guys will have all his contacts if they can access the phone.

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Wednesday, January 08, 2020 - 12:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
They've managed to create quite an interesting and intriguing puzzle. The test now will be to see if they can turn it into something that works story wise.

One of the things that I have enjoyed the most about this show is the characters and relationships that they have built (for example, the non Hollywood picture perfect Chief and her family). I hope it doesn't turn into some sort of science fiction focused drama and that they don't lose that aspect of the show.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, January 08, 2020 - 1:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Agreed! I like the people (though, some turned out to be non people)..

Cablejockey

12-26-2001

Wednesday, January 08, 2020 - 2:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cablejockey a private message Print Post    
Poor Jo and Mia miss Piper so much and are not giving up on getting her back. But see Piper tell Jo she has to stay with the AI people, was sad. I can't imagine what will happen next.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Thursday, January 09, 2020 - 10:49 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
I thought Piper reached out to Mia and Jo just to let them know she was okay. And then when she saw Jo, she told her, "Tell Mia I'm not afraid. But I have to stay." So she got Mia's message.

I saw a moment there between Jo and the FBI guy, where I thought they were going to kiss, and I thought, "Oh no. We don't need that in this show!" I love that the Chief is not your average skinny Hollywood star and looks like a real person. I love that she's strong and independent. Let's not change this into a love story. I would be very disappointed.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, January 09, 2020 - 11:07 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I agree.. I posted what you did, Babyjax, but obviously did not complete the post.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Thursday, January 09, 2020 - 4:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
Well, this was a good episode even if it didn't really reveal anything other than a weird floaty looking ball-of-liquid-magnet on a boat....and that particular "revelation" was really just a new mystery!

Hey, maybe it was an A.I. egg! :-)

At least we know that Jo isn't a robot...unless that device was intended to only activate for Piper. I can't imagine that all the A.I.'s have the same basic "brain" since they have different personalities and "histories". They could each be different versions of the A.I. programming software, too! They seem to all be unique individuals, but they may have connections to one another or other skills that we don't know about yet. Anyhow, that orange chip/disc updated Piper (or rebooted her?) so it might not work on other versions of the A.I. software.

I hope we get more A.I. action and/or more revelations and less "sad and worried Jo" next week! Oh yeah, I also want more info on the floaty magnet thingy...sorry if I'm being too technical. :-)

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, January 09, 2020 - 5:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Floaty, glowy, liquid magnet thingy?

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Thursday, January 09, 2020 - 6:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
I didn't think it glowed, it looked black and shiny and wavy.

well, they said 4 more shows to the seasons finale, so I guess no more money this year. and it will be like Manifest, half a year show.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Friday, January 10, 2020 - 1:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Oh yeah, I also want more info on the floaty magnet thingy...sorry if I'm being too technical. :-)

SFJF, you always make me laugh!

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Friday, January 10, 2020 - 4:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
Laughter is good!

(silent laugh track for the written word)

Spunky

10-07-2001

Thursday, January 16, 2020 - 12:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Spunky a private message Print Post    
I thought Piper's power were disabled but she handled that Helen pretty good. Again, the girls is acting quite well.