TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through December 12, 2019

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: Emergence on ABC: Archive through December 12, 2019 users admin

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Sunday, November 24, 2019 - 11:25 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
feelings, what are they? That can be codified. What differs animal from machine? I think it is fear/stress/anxiety that can over ride logic.
Preferences can be codified, but not sure about breakdowns. Piper never seems to be acting illogically. (quite unlike the always breaking down computers in the original star trek that cannot compute)

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Sunday, November 24, 2019 - 1:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
"feelings, what are they?"

They are chemical reactions in the brain...certain synapses fire and it can make someone sad or happy or scared. If the brain is damaged in some way, it can entirely change the personality and feelings of a person.

I would surmise that with with Piper, it's the same only her brain is manmade. I would guess that if her brain was damaged she could behave differently, too.

It seems to me that, the main difference between Piper and a real girl is just that a real girl is organic and Piper isn't. A real girl learns things though education and life experience. Piper does too, but she can also learn things in other ways such as being "fed" information and experiences via technology.

Star Trek TNG and Star Trek Voyager had major story lines about what is actual life. Data was a manmade machine but he was deemed to be alive and a unique individual. Granted, he did not have emotions, but his brother, Lor, did. Lor's emotions were the result of a chip that its designer deemed to be a failure...but Lor did use it and he become a villain.

The holographic Doctor on Voyager, also non-organic, was also deemed to be alive. He evolved because his programming was running continually for years longer than it was designed to. He even added new programs ("subroutines") to his programming ("brain") so he could sing, play music, cook, ect. He continued to gain new life experiences every day and he became a unique "person" even though he was made of light and not organic. Voyager even had a run-in with an all holographic race.

Were The Doctor's "feelings' less real than a human's? That holo Doctor was certainly stressed, petty, scared, curious, and as he "grew up" he became kind, compassionate, and he even fell in love. Just like organic people.

What are feelings other than charged synaptic connections that affect how the brain functions? Do they have to be made of organic material to function?

Btw, every episode of "Emergence" has me missing both Data and the Doctor. :-)

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, November 24, 2019 - 2:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
We might be Under the Dome 😱

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Monday, November 25, 2019 - 8:06 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Great post, Sanfran.

Scooterrific

07-07-2005

Monday, November 25, 2019 - 8:52 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scooterrific a private message Print Post    
Love the post SFJF!

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Monday, November 25, 2019 - 10:35 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
You are a very good writer, SFJF! Was that your profession, perhaps?

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, November 25, 2019 - 11:27 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I am always happy when SanFran is posting in a thread for a show I watch. 💜

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Monday, November 25, 2019 - 2:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
Thanks, People of Earth. :-)

I just really like sci-fi and when something actually interesting pops up in a show, it can get me going. At first, Emergence seemed pretty run of the mill sc-fi like a lot of current shows...about a girl (robot or alien or superhero, or just a special human in some way, etc...) and the small group of humans who befriend her and try to save her from the government or a corporation or an evil cabal of some kind. yadda yadda (shows like "Believe", "Passage", "Stranger Things", "Whispers", "Firestarter" come to mind)

However, the episode where Emily masqueraded as Kindred and entered Piper's consciousness through the "back door" made me think about the possibilities.

Btw, I sometimes wonder if Emily is also a robot (sort of like Piper's "Lor") but she doesn't yet know it....she could've been programmed to not notice/remember things like a loose wire or that she has to change her batteries all the time! LOL And Piper is robot version 2.0.

Or maybe not. There are a lot of directions they can go with this robot concept.

Anyhow, thank you Babyjaxmom, but nope I'm not a writer...I did really well in English classes in school, but that's as close as I got to actually "writing". I used to read a LOT (mostly sci-fi and horror) and at one point in the mid seventies I sometimes dreamed in prose...whatever the dream happened to be about, it was in text and I was mentally picturing everything (in my dream) as the text scrolled by, just like reading a story in RL. It was weird, but also kind of interesting.

Thanks again....back to show before I get in trouble for being too offtopic!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, November 25, 2019 - 9:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
https://www.elitedaily.com/p/allison-tolman-confirms-the-emergence-mystery-is-only-just-beginning-exclusive-19303850

Cablejockey

12-26-2001

Tuesday, November 26, 2019 - 9:56 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cablejockey a private message Print Post    
That would very interesting if Emily is man made too but doesn't know it. Maybe they decided to keep them from realizing what they really were to keep them from coming after humans!

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Tuesday, November 26, 2019 - 11:09 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
SFJF, you dreamed in words? That made sense? I thought that was supposed to be impossible (per the TV show Evil, it was how she knew she was dreaming: she couldn't read the sign above her bed). I also Googled to see if this were true, and apparently it generally is “because reading is a function of the right side of the brain, while dreams come from the left side.” (https://www.inverse.com/article/38510-can-you-read-in-your-dreams)

I've found this to be true in my own dreams. I can read words, but they never make sense or are just a jumbled pile of words. And I also read a lot when I'm awake (also have a degree in English Lit, so I read quite a bit, but only when awake!). You are special, SFJF!

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Tuesday, November 26, 2019 - 1:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
It only happened a few times, as far as I know....I don't remember all my dreams.

You know how when you're watching a TV show and start to nod off and the audio is still going? I have found myself half asleep but could still hear the show and then I suddenly wake up due to some loud noise on the show. When I look up at the TV I realize that the images in my head (which seemed to be fit the sound I was still dreamily aware of) didn't actually match up with the video at all.

Those dreams weren't just text...it was like my eyes were following lines of text as the dream progressed. It was the text in my mind when I woke up that stuck with me. But I guess it could've been like hearing audio when half asleep. Maybe I was just dreaming about random pages of text from a book I'd been reading all day...I really can't remember if it was directly tied to the dream....but I do remember the text had commas and other punctuation and was written like words in a page in a book...and that it made sense.

Who knows...maybe I'm part alien or just nuts. :-)

Meanwhile, on Emergence, I've also wondered if Jo is digital too? We could be seeing the show of Jo in a digital world, not the real one. That has happened in a few other sci-fi shows I've seen.

Possibilities...

Btw, no predictions, just random speculation how it could go in many directions.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, November 26, 2019 - 9:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I used to have logic and code dreams..

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Wednesday, November 27, 2019 - 4:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
FYI - new check coming, they are still filming shows, so this must be successful.

Cablejockey

12-26-2001

Thursday, November 28, 2019 - 10:00 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cablejockey a private message Print Post    
The latest episode was wild! Did Emily get some gadget to Piper that was supposed to erase her mind??? But didnt? And now she knows all about herself.
And was that the social worker we saw on the first show, killing that tech guy in his motel room? If so, very scary!!

Kitt

09-05-2000

Thursday, November 28, 2019 - 11:16 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Little sidebar on the ~can't read in dreams~ thing. I think it's only the things that are half in/half out of the dream that you can't read. The words that are part of the dream you can read. Last night for instance I dreamt I got a letter from the IRS (I have such fun dreams!) with my 1099s (real, but I don't get them), some 302s (these are to do with fbi interviews, not the IRS!) and a court order (??!?!). My brain was happy with the 1099s and 302s but something must have clicked that the court order didn't make sense (and was troubling) so I tried to read what it was about and couldn't. I think your brain goes along with words that are part of the story, but if you question them it can't produce them.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Friday, November 29, 2019 - 1:11 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
"Did Emily get some gadget to Piper that was supposed to erase her mind??? But didnt?"

That round orange gadget was like the one in an earlier episode that Jo had (I think she got it from that building she broke into with the reporter and the robot dog chased them) and when Jo put it on Piper's arm, Piper got an update. I don't remember knowing what that update did....but we did learn it was an update.

After this latest episode, I believe Piper no longer has that fatal error code in her program.

I think this time it was intended to update Piper's brain to give her the knowledge that she is an A.I. to kill Piper. We saw Emily test it on that A.I. in a cube. After that A.I. went dark ("died") Emily took that chip with her....so I think it was it was the same chip she sent to Piper.

OR...

Emily had a change of heart and decided to give Piper a chance to live her own life and had a different chip that just removed the "fatal error" code from Piper.

Either way, I think Piper is free of the threat of the fatal error. We just don't know who caused it....Piper overriding the fatal error or Emily removing the fatal error code.

That's my takeaway anyhow...

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Friday, November 29, 2019 - 9:50 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
I think it was Piper overriding the fatal error on her own. I don't think Emily would suddenly decide to save Piper and just go on her way. Emily is evil!

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Friday, November 29, 2019 - 4:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
"Emily is evil!"

Well, she could've done it so Piper, with no fatal error to stop her, WOULD evolve and take over the world and enslave humanity to manufacture spare parts!

<always looking for a twist....) :-)

Spunky

10-07-2001

Friday, November 29, 2019 - 5:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Spunky a private message Print Post    
My question is: Does Piper now know what she is? I can't remember if that was the last question on the last show before the Thanksgivings break...

I think the girl's acting is great, the face hardly expresses joy or fear as a human but remains mostly unchanged just like a robot would do...

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Saturday, November 30, 2019 - 11:43 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
She is a great little actress. It’s a risk when your key main character is that young.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Saturday, November 30, 2019 - 1:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
SFJF!

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Wednesday, December 11, 2019 - 4:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
OK sudden emergency filming tonight, Christmas lights up and my house is almost glowing there are so many lights on it. I see a lot of the cast in the other yard, but since they will be filming a little of my house I am not allowed outside the back. they have closed off the other block so can't "walk by". I am really bad with binoculars now, when I used them I didn't wear glasses sigh

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, December 11, 2019 - 7:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
So are the social worker who offered to the car that he could be in a clinical trial and cure his cancer with no side effects (yeah, right) and the payment would be handing over Piper.. Is she human?

And when dad said no, she contacted the ex husband and made a deal to turn over Piper (presumably to protect his daughter).

He set that up, to try to trap her, not to turn over Piper.. But mission aborted and after car chase by police cruiser, so called social worker. leaps way off a bridge, not a call but a super human trajectory.. And she lives.

Meanwhile the reporter is trusted by the car and then No tells him to get both girls and dad to the police station but he takes Piper to the Social Worker, after installing a glowing bracelet to keep her from hurting people (or to take her power. Away.

Is the reporter human?

At the end both reporter and social worker are glowing in spots.

Huh.

At 40-1 minutes interesting close up of two signs "DEAD END" and "TERMINAL". Coincidence?

And nothing until January 7.

Anyone?

Kappy

06-28-2002

Thursday, December 12, 2019 - 10:53 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
I officially give up on this one.

I love the cast and had such high hopes but I'm done. I just feel sorry for the cast at this point.