TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through November 23, 2019

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: Emergence on ABC: Archive through November 23, 2019 users admin

Naja

06-28-2003

Sunday, November 03, 2019 - 11:42 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
He's ok, I guess.

haha

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Sunday, November 03, 2019 - 2:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
She wants to read "Nancy Drew"? He hits "ENTER" and she will have instantly read the entire series.

As a book lover, that made me a little sad. For me the fun of experiencing a book series is actually reading them, not the memory of having read them. I'm always a little sad when I finish a book (or a series) and have to start something new. I realize it was just a speculation, SFJF. Just my reaction to it.

Thank you for your theories, SFJF. You do always make a show more enjoyable.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, November 03, 2019 - 2:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
But she was reading the book given to her..

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Sunday, November 03, 2019 - 3:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
Wow! Naja giving me such high praise! I'll take it!

Babyjazmom, I thought the same thing but I wondered if it really mattered if she's just a machine. If she is 100% machine as was suggested by the women that was helping them, then her "feelings" are just part of her programming, not actual feelings caused by external events. Besides, if they digitally incorporate the entire Nancy Drew series into her memories, they could easily program her to remember how much she enjoyed reading each and every page!

Remember, when you remember an event, you are really just remembering your memory of that event! The actual event can never change but one's memory can and does change over time.

However, for all we know, part of the real girl (if there is one) could still be alive in her head...or connected to her via WIFI or bluetooth or some other sciencey transmission.

They're saying she's 100% cybernetic, but I think there is some humanity involved in her blueprints somewhere. Or maybe the memory transfer it make her believe she a real girl was so good, it has fooled its creator into believing it's more than it really is.

Oh yeah....if this experiment succeeds, the rich tech guy could build an army of regular happy "people" like Piper that he exclusively controls. It could be like that much hated A.I. on "The 100" who just wants a world that follows orders.

----
ETA to put things in order so it makes more sense...

Side bar: I have an Alexa. Sometimes it it says something stupid. (I never call it "she" cuz it's a "thing" not a person). When it tells me something stupid, like when I ask "what time is it?" and it starts telling me what wikipedia says about "time", I yell at it to "Shutup!" It shuts up and it never holds a grudge.

Btw, anyone here that has an Alexa (or Echo)...one day I decided to ask it something just for fun. I said Alexa, do you know HAL?" (HAL was the computer on the movie 2001) and the answer cracked me up!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, November 03, 2019 - 7:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Hmm, your Alexa might be working on a grudge ๐Ÿ˜‡๐Ÿ˜ฑ

Maybe the brings he created will rise up like the people in Hong Kong?

I did like how she made that giant truck stand up!

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Sunday, November 03, 2019 - 9:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
Maybe a grudge against HAL!

Here is how Alexa answers the question, "Alexa, do you know HAL?":

Spoiler
Click below to view spoiler
"We don't talk much after what happened."

Kappy

06-28-2002

Monday, November 04, 2019 - 12:34 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
PERFECT ANSWER!!

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Monday, November 04, 2019 - 11:43 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
SFJF, that is so funny! I think the programmers at Amazon built in a wicked sense of humor. I've asked Alexa to tell me a joke, but her/its jokes are corny!!!

Cablejockey

12-26-2001

Wednesday, November 06, 2019 - 8:59 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cablejockey a private message Print Post    
Last night's show was fast moving. So they caught Kindred?--I think thats the name of the big baddie of the tech world. But who was that guy who got Jo and the Englishman to come out to the woods? It seems he was connected to the tech project and knows all about Piper. And who was the woman in red who was really behind the Kindred facade? Piper knew it wasnt really him, but who is that woman? Poor Jo is losing her daughter because of Piper, yet she just can't do what most people would have, and thats get Piper out of her life! Jo has a real connection to that girl and doesnt like it when people say she is just an AI.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Wednesday, November 06, 2019 - 9:15 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
That guy was Kindred's old partner.

And that woman was Erica, the one that the police were protecting from Kindred.

The plot thickens.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, November 06, 2019 - 9:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Thickens and sickens.

Spunky

10-07-2001

Thursday, November 07, 2019 - 4:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Spunky a private message Print Post    
In fact, I thought the episode looked more like a season finale, I said 'wow, all the clues I wanted are all here tonight, are they trying to wrap it up and end the show?' Until I saw the ending, the woman protected by the police doing what Kindred was doing and talking to Piper, and here we go again with the questions.

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Friday, November 08, 2019 - 1:50 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
I am telling you there was a Christmas show filmed.
h and I noticed on the last show they showed the crappy box houses roof next to the home instead of the ones that were put in before, either they are getting cheaper or felt no one would notice.

Spunky

10-07-2001

Monday, November 11, 2019 - 12:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Spunky a private message Print Post    
I did notice because I was trying to spot the house you were talking about and I got confused !

Cathie

08-16-2000

Monday, November 18, 2019 - 2:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cathie a private message Print Post    
I have the first 6 episodes taped, have not watched any yet. Save or delete w/o watching?

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, November 18, 2019 - 2:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Save..

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Monday, November 18, 2019 - 2:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
It depends. It's fairly similar to the usual recent crop of present day science fiction shows. However, the writing, characters and acting are a step above average. If you like that type of show, then you'll like this one. It's still too early to see where they are going with the story and whether it will remain interesting in the long-term. I'm enjoying it so far.

Strategist

07-01-2014

Monday, November 18, 2019 - 6:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Strategist a private message Print Post    
It seems pretty good so far. I would wait to see what the reviews are after this season is done.

Cathie

08-16-2000

Monday, November 18, 2019 - 9:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cathie a private message Print Post    
Thanksโ€”I will hold on to it.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, November 20, 2019 - 10:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Wel, things are getting brutal, at least Emilyis...

Cablejockey

12-26-2001

Friday, November 22, 2019 - 10:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cablejockey a private message Print Post    
Did Piper reach into her mind and her controls to over ride what Emily did to her? Or did Jo shooting up the computers mess up what evil Emily did?
So many people have told Jo that she is crazy to think that Piper has any human qualities, any real feelings for Jo. But I think her instincts are right and Piper does have feelings for Jo and Mia, and had made a real connection.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Saturday, November 23, 2019 - 10:26 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
I think Piper went into her own code and changed it back. Since the computer was gone, it would not have had any more control over her.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Saturday, November 23, 2019 - 3:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
"I think Piper went into her own code and changed it back. Since the computer was gone, it would not have had any more control over her."

I agree....and we even watched her do it!

Remember when Emily took her to the room of blue books? Each book had an event from Piper's past, except that Jo had been replaced by Emily. When Piper finished reading each book it turned red.

I think each book was an "update" being installed and integrated into Piper's programming...so, as she read each altered event (switching Emily with Jo) it updated those specific memories. Reading a book in the RW is accepting a story into your mind and building an entirely new, but temporary, reality in one's mind. I think Piper's "brain" did exactly that, only literally. Each update overwrote her old memories as it added installed each new one.

But...apparently, Jo has affected her able-to-learn A.I. programming deeper than Emily realized, because she chose Jo over Emily. I think Piper's A.I. brain has evolved to have actual feelings.

I think that even though Piper's memories had been altered, her feelings had not. She chose the people that she loved instead of Emily, the woman she remembered.

Then we saw Piper turning each red book back to blue, which I took as Piper UNinstalling every update/memory that had been installed...sort like she had a virus protection program that could be activated to eliminate malware! They've already said her programming was evolving and this is best evidence we've seen that proves that.

Did that make sense in a weird sci-fi kind of way? :-)

I still have no theories about how Piper can throw trucks around with her brain. My Mac can update itself and it can even talk to me, but it can't actually throw me across the room.

----

Oh yeah, when it showed the scenes a few eps back of Emily (masquerading as Kindred) getting into the A.I.'s "back door", I saw that Piper's body wasn't connected to anything, so I assume she has her own wifi. If so, how limited is the signal that Emily uses to contact her?

If Jo and Piper take a trip far, far away from civilization, would Piper be out of range for contact with Emily? I guess I just have to assume Emily uses some kind of "sci-fi friendly mega-signal" that's more stable and is probably even global that's unavailable to the cell phones in RL! :-)

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, November 23, 2019 - 4:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Yes, it makes sense. You could see her flipping those books ๐Ÿ“š and memories back.

She might have a satellite hookup built in using something like the Delorme InReach devices.

Those devices are used by some through hikers who go way off grid, in case of emergency when there is often limited cell capability.

And one concern about Artificial Intelligence has always been that growth and learning could lead to taking over power from humans. Piper may well be outpacing her makers.

The self driving cars could turn on us a la Christine...

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Saturday, November 23, 2019 - 9:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
Who knows...reality has a lot of interesting nooks and crannies.

I heard that there is a theory that the reality we perceive is really just a computer simulation.

It's odd to think about, but none of us could possibly know about this reality if we never had our 5 senses - touch, hearing, sight, taste, and smell. Those senses are our ONLY contact with our reality! Without them, there would be no reality at all

Heck, we may be discussing this in a digital virtual room right down the hall from Piper's Blue Book Room!

:-)

Found a link!

15 Irrefutable Reasons Why We Might Be Living in a Simulation
https://www.vulture.com/2019/02/15-irrefutable-reasons-we-might-be-living-in-a-simulation.html