TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through November 14, 2019

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: This Is Us: ARCHIVES: Archive through November 14, 2019 users admin

Pamy

01-01-2002

Wednesday, October 30, 2019 - 8:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
did it seem like Kevin regrets sleeping with her? The way he was looking at the frig seemed off

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Wednesday, October 30, 2019 - 8:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
I think he may have had some regrets. Remember he was trying to help her get back with her husband. I’m wondering if she gets pregnant from this.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Thursday, October 31, 2019 - 10:18 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
She didn't look too happy about it either when he came back from the kitchen. Hmmmmm . . . we'll have to see how this plays out.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Thursday, October 31, 2019 - 10:27 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
I think it might have something to do with the understanding among people in AA that you're not supposed to get into a relationship with someone (especially with someone who is also in AA) for at least a year of being in the AA program. Anyone who is more familiar with AA can (and probably will) correct me about this.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Friday, November 01, 2019 - 4:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
From my experience (I have several friends and family members who've been in AA), they discourage starting a new relationship within the first year of sobriety, especially with someone else in the program. People in the first stages of sobriety need to focus on their own health and well being. The drama of a new relationship can be hazardous to the fragile state of new sobriety.

With that said, I think they were both thinking they acted in the moment and got carried away. I think they're both wondering if they made a mistake, aside from the whole sobriety thing. (We all know that they were meant to be, though!)

Julieboo

02-05-2002

Tuesday, November 12, 2019 - 10:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Julieboo a private message Print Post    
So they seem to be making Rebecca have dementia really quickly.
I know they stated that she actually lost her phone but the scene where she misplaced her phone, come on I do that all the time.
And they always start babies off on rice cereal. That whole feeding scenario seemed strange. Why the intense guilt? No harm no foul to not tell Toby that Jack had a bite of avocado earlier in the day.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, November 13, 2019 - 12:23 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
But then we find out that this has been going on for awhile and Rebecca did lose a phone.

They are not showing the classic first signs where someone gets lost, or where someone repeatedly asks the same question over and over.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Wednesday, November 13, 2019 - 9:28 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
So, my experience with dementia (my dad), is very similar to what they are showing. I recall that, when they were talking with the doctor about Kate's baby, she kept writing down lots of stuff and focusing on some small details (a bit OCD). This is absolutely true for some dementia patients in the early stages. Also, the people who are closest to Rebecca and see her all the time, tend to minimize what is happening as 'that's the way she is' or like Miguel said 'senior moments'. I believe this is done to avoid the dreaded diagnosis of dementia or Alzheimer's. Randall, not being around her in person as much, sees it more clearly when he is one on one with her for the day. So, it rings true to me, although I'm hoping for something curable, like a brain tumor or something.

Loved the Nicky-Kevin storyline. I teared up when he started seeing Jack when Nicky scolded him after sleeping with Jennifer Morrison. The end of that scene, when Nicky told Kevin that he was a good kid..... teary eyed. I want her to have Kevin's baby. I was thinking this morning that the entire show could be the Kevin and Nicky relationship and I'd be engrossed. Nicky at the hearing..... LOVE THAT ACTOR!!

While I love me some Gregory (he is so refreshing to their storyline), I just want to smack Kate upside the head.... I'll leave it at that.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Wednesday, November 13, 2019 - 9:28 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
Oh and the previews for next week appear to show her getting lost on Thanksgiving.

Katycat74

07-17-2014

Wednesday, November 13, 2019 - 10:04 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Katycat74 a private message Print Post    
Yes, Rebecca was taking pictures of every angle of the room, not really a normal thing to do. Almost as if she wanted the pics so she wouldn't forget the smallest thing. Maybe she's been aware of more than she's letting on that's something's wrong.

Also--Randall was a bit taken aback when she called him a new "Congressman". When in fact he's a Councilman. On one hand, maybe a mis-spoken word, but on the other hand, another clue.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, November 13, 2019 - 10:37 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Kooklie, yes! All the documentation stuff! I noticed that but they had teased about Rebecca on a prior flash forward.. About visiting "her" and all the speculation and then it was a future Rebecca who appeared to have to be introduced to her son..

Lots of clues.

Miguel may be in denial of simply not get it. I have many friends who are even older (80-90) than I am and several who went through the caregiver role, plus lots of reading and lectures, so I am one of many who kind of look for those signs...

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Wednesday, November 13, 2019 - 10:46 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Much to my amazement, the story line that I'm enjoying the most is the one with Nicky, Kevin and Cassidy.

With respect to Rebecca, is an earlier diagnosis of dementia (if that's what she has), helpful?

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, November 13, 2019 - 11:03 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Yes it is, in terms of safety and planning. Also they are seeing that lifestyle changes can be made to hold off on symptoms.

Anything that is heart healthy tends to be brain healthy, diet, exercise, weight, not smoking, not excessive drinking, avoiding head injury...

As one doctor says in his lectures awareness and lifestyle can help push off the time when someone requires total caregiving.

Meanwhile the search for a cure, or prevention goes on.

And this does not mean that there is not a huge problem and heartbreak as our population ages and more people are diagnosed with various types of dementia.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Wednesday, November 13, 2019 - 11:06 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
Not really. There's some medication that "may" slow the process, but not everyone responds to it. My dad didn't respond to medication. IMO, I think it's more about being aware and taking steps to keep the person safe.

The husband of a friend of mine, was diagnosed with Alzheimer's. She cared for him in her house for a couple of years as the decline progressed, keeping him engaged in life but also keeping an eye on him round the clock. Then, one day, she took a quick shower, like she had done many times before, no more than 15 minutes she said.... In that short time, he had left the house and was gone for about 8 hours before they found him. After that, she found a place for him (I.e. locked) because it was clear she could no longer care for him at home.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Wednesday, November 13, 2019 - 11:11 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
Having lived through dementia with my dad, thereby becoming kind of focused on treatment or a cure that can't seem to be found, I am hopeful that one day they will find the cause and be able to develop a realistic treatment plan for dementia patients.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, November 13, 2019 - 11:36 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Yes, for sure. At the recent conference, speakers suggest that living a heart healthy lifestyle is the best prevention, with the hope that better drug treatment will be there in time for many more people.

And for sure, being aware of what to look for, cognitive testing, and knowing how to manage are all critical.. And when you need more security..

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, November 13, 2019 - 12:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
We are fortunate in our area to have quite a community of support (which still is not enough) in that we have a chapter of the national Alzheimer's association, but also a local 10 year old spinoff Alzheimer's Orange County, which is where I get the most info, plus programs at universities such as UCI MIND, also local hospitals a d USC and UCLA.

The annual conference brings is experts from all over. The conference is for professionals, caregivers, and anyone interested.

I am waiting right now for an online webinar "Enhancing Everyday Activities in Dementia. Free and right in my living room. Alz.oc does these monthly.

I think this plotline is a good one, especially as they so far are writing it realistically.

Julieboo

02-05-2002

Wednesday, November 13, 2019 - 1:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Julieboo a private message Print Post    
Why do they never show or mention current day Rebecca parents or Nicky/Jack parents? Did they all die?
And don't show Toby parents at all? Wouldn't they also be all over their grandson?

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Wednesday, November 13, 2019 - 1:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
With respect to Rebecca and Jack’s parents, they didn’t get along with any of them. They stopped seeing Rebecca’s parents when the kids were still young. I don’t think Rebecca and the kids ever met Jack’s father (who drank heavily and was abusive) and I think his mother died years ago. Don’t know about Toby’s.

Katycat74

07-17-2014

Wednesday, November 13, 2019 - 2:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Katycat74 a private message Print Post    
Toby's parents appeared on the episode where Toby and Kate got married..

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Wednesday, November 13, 2019 - 5:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
I think the depiction of Rebecca's dementia (that's obviously what they're heading for) is very, very realistic. My mother has dementia. She has vascular dementia, which causes mini brain bleeds/mini strokes. There are many, many kinds of dementia (Alzheimers is only one), so finding a "cure" is not easy when you're dealing with so many different illnesses.

My mom lived with us for 7 1/2 years. She started being unable to find her way around our new neighborhood and blamed it on everything being new, but if she missed a turn while driving, rather than figure out how to correct herself, she'd just drive back to her old neighborhood and go to the places she was familiar (ie Target across down rather than the one close to us). She left things in odd places (like her phone in the pantry--and she was constantly losing her phone). We moved her into memory care over 5 years ago. She's now to the point that she can't remember who anybody is, can't carry on a conversation, but she talks incessantly about being in college and thinks she still takes classes. On the other hand, she's patient and sweet, and everybody loves her where she lives. Many people who have Alzheimer start to get irritable and argumentative.

Also the thing about the baby not wanting to eat the banana. I wanted to smack Toby when he said, "Everybody likes bananas!" Totally not true. Our son had super sensitive tastebuds and would hardly eat anything till he was 3 or 4. I thought I was going to have to send him to school with formula! He's 19 now and is much better about trying new foods, but when he was small he was very suspicious of anything new.

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Wednesday, November 13, 2019 - 6:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
On the other hand, she's patient and sweet, and everybody loves her where she lives.

That is so wonderful. One of my greatest fears of growing old is that I’ll somehow become one of those people who yells at kids to get off of the grass.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Wednesday, November 13, 2019 - 9:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
My mom was the sweetest Alzheimer's patient in the world. Was never mean or cross.

My husband has it now. He's only 56. We are dealing with it.

Will be interested to see how the show deals with it, and everything else.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, November 14, 2019 - 12:38 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Alzheimer's is 70% of dementia, but with more brain autopsies, they are finding that there can be multiple types in one person.. Just to make things more complicated.

There are some very sweet Dementia patients. We sing at a number of facilities, and some are just for memory care. A member of our singing group now lives in memory care. He is still able to be driven to our practices and gigs, still playing his guitar well.. And still very sweet.

I agree about 🍌🍌🍌 bananas. I haven't liked them for as long as I can remember. Too late to ask my mom if I ate baby food bananas. She would have been 105 today.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Thursday, November 14, 2019 - 4:19 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
I am so sorry to hear about your husband, Heckagirl. That's tough, especially as he is relatively young. I hope you have a lot of support and remember to take care of yourself. Being a caregiver is hard!

Sea, that's sweet about the member of your singing group. If you get the chance, watch "I'll Be Me," the documentary about Glen Campbell's journey with Alzheimers. He went out on tour after he was diagnosed. He was still an amazing musician, but had trouble with the words to his songs, so he used a teleprompter. He would sometimes sing the same song twice, but most of his audience was aware that he had Alzheimers and were patient with him. My whole family used to watch him when I was a teenager.

I went to pick my mom up one day to take her to lunch. When I came in, they were all watching some old country music videos on the big screen. There were ladies there who still knew every word to every song. Music is one of the last things to go.