TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through March 14, 2019

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: The Good Doctor : Archive through March 14, 2019 users admin

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Tuesday, March 05, 2019 - 10:08 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
I completely agree about that Emmy!!!

Now that Sean's been fired from the hospital, it's going to be interesting to see how he ends up getting his job back. Because in my opinion if he doesn't then there's no show. Lol

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Tuesday, March 05, 2019 - 12:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
Shaun broke my heart last night.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Tuesday, March 05, 2019 - 1:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
I don't normally watch this, but saw it last night. It was a pretty good episode.

Legalboxer

11-17-2003

Tuesday, March 05, 2019 - 6:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Legalboxer a private message Print Post    
I was waiting for an ER moment where Han would called Shawn arrogant for being so forceful - like a good surgeon is supposed to be.

The eye contact was great too - one of Shawn’s biggest traits is avoiding eye contact but as much as it hurt him, he wanted this so much that he kept eye contact.

In real life, there would be a lot the hospital would be in noncompliance for with that termination.

And this definitely was one of most meaningful episodes of any TV for me - switch autism with speech disability, and I totally am in Shawn’s mentality...yes I always have been a superb writer and researcher - it’s how I got into schools and way too many interviews to count. But that is not a reason to keep me in that box - when my passion and real skill is with people/the courtroom/public speaking etc. So yes, Shawn had every right to have all those emotions when he knows what he wants, what he is good at, what makes him thrive. No question we can’t expect to get everything we want in life, but when it’s there and snatched away for no good reason, that’s different.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, March 05, 2019 - 8:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Yes, this was arbitrary, for the most part.

As was pointed out, Shaun has several years to continue to learn.

I wish producers would be aware of the writing of John Elder Robinson, and the clinical trials he has done with brain stimulation and what that has does for his life.

From previews, Shaun was badly beaten and in the hospital, presumably the very place where he no longer works.

Glassman being in remission may allow him to have time to help Shaun.

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Wednesday, March 06, 2019 - 6:12 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
I waiting for Glassman to take on the new president. Oh, he's going to be good and mad. He's going to come out with guns blazing.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Wednesday, March 06, 2019 - 11:55 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Sea and Rvon, I kept saying, "Poor Shaun" all through this episode. It took a lot for him to stand up for himself like that. I see so much of my son in him. Jack has told me that looking in people's eyes makes him feel like he is being stabbed. It's physically painful to him.

It seemed as if Dr. Han had made up his mind against Shaun and wouldn't allow him to plead his case. He won't listen to anyone else. As much as I love Daniel Dae Kim, I don't like Dr. Han.

Why are all the shows doing such short seasons these days? Seems like all my favorites only do 13 or 14 episodes anymore, when they used to do 22. Ugh. It's going to be a long wait till next season.

And I agree, Freddie Highmore deserves an Emmy.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Wednesday, March 06, 2019 - 11:59 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
I don't really like this story line. I know it's acting, but watching people in that much pain isn't for me. I don't really care for the flat character they have created in Dr. Han.

It would be different if they had taken time to develop his character beforehand, but right now he just seems shallow.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, March 06, 2019 - 12:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
The guy who was so happy to be president when Glassman had to go into treatment, and who kept two jobs, had learned to work with Shaun, but then brings in an even more inflexible replacement, who just takes the video of Shaun in fetal position on the floor and runs with it.

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Thursday, March 07, 2019 - 6:12 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
I''m wondering if Dr. Han might have someone close to him who is autistic?

Starr

07-09-2005

Thursday, March 07, 2019 - 6:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Starr a private message Print Post    
I wonder if they didn't develop his character's back story on purpose. It wouldn't surprise me if they wanted viewers to dislike him, then suddenly we find out something that explains why he is so hard.

Like most here, I love Daniel Dae Kim, tho. I was sad when he left Hawaii 5-O. Glad to see him pop up on another show I watch!

Legalboxer

11-17-2003

Monday, March 11, 2019 - 8:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Legalboxer a private message Print Post    
Oh my gosh that ending was so sweet it made me tear up.

And jumping back earlier, when Claire first started to try to think like Shaun, I said you go girl! I knew she would get it.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Monday, March 11, 2019 - 8:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Luved this ep! Chock full of wonderful surprises.

I said to DH that no way in the real world would Dr. Han get fired like that to enable Shaun to get his job back. But it felt great to watch. Lol.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, March 11, 2019 - 11:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
That was SO SPECIAL!!!!! I was hoping it was the pathologist he wanted to ask out. And sweet that she was his celebration.

So cute that he walked away with the real flowers and chocolate.

Claire really did it,

Dr Han wasn't fired just for Shaun, but for everyone under him, and his boss, who couldn't get him to listen.

His roomie looked a bit did that it wasn't her.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Tuesday, March 12, 2019 - 8:46 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
The ending had me in tears. I love how he walked away still holding the candy and flowers. I love him asking her out and not Lea.

I am so happy Dr. Han is gone.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Tuesday, March 12, 2019 - 9:18 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Shoot, I was hoping they would rehabilitate Dr. Han 'cause I like the actor. :-)

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Tuesday, March 12, 2019 - 10:02 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
I don't know , the joyful affect did not seem characteristic.

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Tuesday, March 12, 2019 - 12:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
it was a perfect episode. Loved it.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, March 12, 2019 - 4:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
That was the point. He has worked hard to learn, baby steps at times, but he worked on his approach with the flowers and the chocolate, he looked her in the eye, which is difficult, and it worked!!

She said she would love to go on a date.

Nevermind that he then whirled and left, taking the flowers and chocolates with him, and not setting up a date, but he felt accomplishment, he felt joy.

I loved it!

Freddy was on Jimmy Kimmel briefly last night. Being that he is involved in production (directing?) he says he is always watching the other actors to see how they are doing but he has to be careful, since he is also acting as Shaun and most of the time cannot look directly at anyone.

He says they are in a bubble where they work in BC .. Jimmy said well isn't there wifi? Freddy said actually, in the place they film and work, the wifi is terrible.

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Wednesday, March 13, 2019 - 5:10 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
First time I had heard his British accent.

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Wednesday, March 13, 2019 - 9:35 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
well don't say television is not educational. spent a lot of time last night, when I could not sleep because of this darn hacking cough, looking up joy love and autism. I know people with Asperger, so I understand that part of the spectrum, I was curious about other parts.

It made me think of this one math teacher I had in college who always seemed to be dreaming off in space, sometimes we would have to remind him he was in class, he would just look off in the distance and forget about us. His wife was a complete opposite of him in every way. She kept a tight reign on him in college parties i.e. Dean's teas and such. She was always in his office when you went to talk to him. Then there was his walk between classes - 20 steps and skip, 20 steps and skip ...... always. students would talk and say he was odd. Yes our major insult, he was odd. I think we decided he loved math more than anything and was always lost in some math theory. And now I wonder if he was on the spectrum.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Wednesday, March 13, 2019 - 10:53 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Sadiesmom, it sounds very much like he was on the spectrum. As I've said before, my 18 year old son also has ASD. His passion is computers and video games. He also loves our dogs very much. Whenever we go anywhere, he'll always repeat, "I wonder how the dogs are doing." If we're away for several days, it becomes, "I miss the dogs," multiple times a day. He has a quirky sense of humor and will laugh and make us laugh often. He literally falls down laughing at times. He does exhibit joy over a new video game or a new Star Wars or Marvel movie.

Shaun reminds us so much of our boy. Freddie does an awesome job playing him.

I knew Dr. Han would go, because I understood he was only a short-term character. Daniel's a producer on the show and had said he would play a character if there was one that interested him, but I don't think he wanted to act long-term.

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Wednesday, March 13, 2019 - 12:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
well keep in mind no one was talking Autism 50 years ago. I think they grouped people as "retarded" only no matter what their issue and shunted them away in buildings where they were neglected.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Thursday, March 14, 2019 - 9:54 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
But so many people on the spectrum are very smart, just socially and emotionally awkward. We all knew people in school who were "misfits," always getting in trouble cause they couldn't follow the rules and many of them dropped out. A lot of those people were most likely on the spectrum.

My own brother is very smart, but as my mother always said, "Lived in his own world." He was passionate about his own interests (at that time, airplanes and dinosaurs), but not so much about school. He did okay, but he was always picked on because he was "odd." He is most likely on the spectrum, but was never diagnosed.

And I really hate that word "retarded." I remember a couple of years ago DL Hughley referred to his own son who has ASD as a "retard." There was a huge outcry against him. My son is not retarded. He's just different.

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Thursday, March 14, 2019 - 5:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
well, words change with the times. when I was a child of 5-8 my mother would bring me to play with her friends 2 nonverbal children. I hated it. mostly they threw toys around, they never acknowledged I was there and I would have to duck flying objects. I any way they called their children retarded, I don't think they had other words or maybe that we would understand the other words. I was brat though, I hated playing with my cousin with down syndrome too. she always wanted to hug and kiss me. I always wanted to go home. I have grown and learned though which I why I volunteer now to fund raise for inclusion.