TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through September 14, 2019

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: Netflix Series Recommendations : ARCHIVES: Archive through September 14, 2019 users admin

Mizinvanccouver

02-21-2003

Monday, August 19, 2019 - 8:34 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mizinvanccouver a private message Print Post    
I just finished Glow season 2. Did not disappoint! Light summertime fun especially if you want to be reminiscent of the 80's.

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Tuesday, August 20, 2019 - 8:20 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
Happy Valley is a short series that has won many Bafta awards. I knew it was special but didn't know how special. I highly recommend it.

Zeyna

07-15-2001

Wednesday, August 21, 2019 - 7:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Zeyna a private message Print Post    
"Another life" seems good so far. I've only seen a few episodes, but it's interesting. Starbuck from Battlestar Galactica is the main character. She's an astronaut, and along with her crew, is looking for aliens in space to possibly save the world from an alien artifact that's landed on Earth

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Thursday, August 22, 2019 - 5:09 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
Zeyna, I watched it. I was so distracted by the constant use of the 'F' word. Overkill by a country mile. Very incoherent series. Half the time I had no idea what was going on. Splintered!

Zeyna

07-15-2001

Thursday, August 22, 2019 - 9:54 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Zeyna a private message Print Post    
I agree, a lot of unnecessary swearing.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Thursday, August 22, 2019 - 1:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Dee, I love all the Botched shows, mostly because I love Dr. Dubrow and Dr. Nassif. They both seem so nice and really caring about their patients and about making them "whole" again. I love that they don't do gigantic boobs just cause crazy people want them, but will only do what is good for their body and will not cause them problems down the line. I'm not crazy about all the graphic stuff though. I can skip the blood and gore. Don't need to see that.

Mizinvanccouver

02-21-2003

Thursday, September 05, 2019 - 3:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mizinvanccouver a private message Print Post    
If you like futuristic sci-fi, check out the Russian series Better Than Us. It is English dubbed.

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Thursday, September 05, 2019 - 9:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
I have been watching better than us, but got annoyed by the odd language, it is a Russian show and it gets translated a bit weird. the captions do not agree with what they say. Plus it seems a ripoff of Humans. and the translated language of the creatures seems like they learned how to talk from the ones on humans.

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Friday, September 06, 2019 - 5:19 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
I'm loving 'The Last Tango In Halifax'. The show garnered a ton of Bafta Awards.

Marameko

07-14-2002

Friday, September 06, 2019 - 10:21 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Marameko a private message Print Post    
I loved Halifax Ophiliasgrandma.....I wish there were more episodes.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Friday, September 06, 2019 - 1:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
I finished Season 2 of The OA.
Man, I wish they hadn't cancelled this! It did get a bit weird (as compared with season 1), but I still really liked it.

Mizinvanccouver

02-21-2003

Friday, September 06, 2019 - 5:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mizinvanccouver a private message Print Post    
Sadiesmom....I watch it dubbed in englishvwith no subtitles. It took me to epusode 4 to be used to them and invested. It is lije Human's, I like that show too but 5here are sub stories that are good. I dunno, maybe Im just happy to have some sci fi. Lol

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Friday, September 13, 2019 - 4:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
Can someone tell me if Orange Is The New Black spends a lot of time on immigration and vilifying ICE? I don’t want lectures while watching TV. If it’s too preachy,I’ll pass this last season.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Friday, September 13, 2019 - 5:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
You may as well pass on the final season because what to most is "realistic story telling" might be "preachy" to you, depending on your political leanings. Of course, using the term "vilifying ICE" makes it appear you already have an opinion on ANY show you have yet to see that features immigration.

Or you could just watch it and form your own opinion.

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Friday, September 13, 2019 - 5:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Good answer.

Naja

06-28-2003

Friday, September 13, 2019 - 5:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
It's not like someone in prison because of ICE is going to be celebrating them.

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Friday, September 13, 2019 - 5:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
I got to episode three and yes they make ICE look like the cartoon villain. So I don’t have faith it’s “ realistic story telling”, I’ll pass.

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Friday, September 13, 2019 - 5:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Probably for the best considering that’s it’s supposed to be entertainment for you. :-)

Egbok

07-13-2000

Friday, September 13, 2019 - 5:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Egbok a private message Print Post    
Lakecat, I'm sorry to hear that you are going to pass on the season finale. I binged watched it with my hubby and we both thought it was nicely done and left us fully entertained with the conclusion of the series.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Friday, September 13, 2019 - 6:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
"and yes they make ICE look like the cartoon villain."

Uh, how is ICE different here than in real life? Both fictionally and in real life, the ICE agents seem quite uncaring, cruel, and they ship off people without telling them where they're going or if they'll ever come back and they are totally lacking any compassion whatsoever for the people whose lives they are in charge of.

But I guess, the word "preachy" fits. After all, preachers talking about doing the right thing is typically called "preaching".

YES....like it or not, this story arc is realistic story telling. The main difference is ICE didn't allow sick kids to die in their care on OITNB, like the Real Life ICE agents do.

06-29-2002

Friday, September 13, 2019 - 7:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Moderator a private message Print Post    
Let's move the ICE discussion to News & Views if you'd like to continue. Thank you

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Friday, September 13, 2019 - 7:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
Egbok are there some happy endings?

Egbok

07-13-2000

Friday, September 13, 2019 - 9:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Egbok a private message Print Post    
Lakecat, yes, there are some happy endings but there were probably an equal amount of unhappy endings.

Maybe you can google the synopsis of Season 7 and read about all the happenings rather than watching it on TV?

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Saturday, September 14, 2019 - 6:38 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
Thanks. I’m really invested in what happens to Tasty. The first three episodes have been so dark and then the exaggerated story with immigration,I may just do as you suggest.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Saturday, September 14, 2019 - 9:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
OITNB Has always had an element of social commentary in it. I think the final season was quite well done. I think it would be a shame to watch all the prior seasons and then skip this one.