TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through August 17, 2019

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: Netflix Series Recommendations : ARCHIVES: Archive through August 17, 2019 users admin

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Tuesday, August 13, 2019 - 2:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
SciFi is definitely not my genre. People tend to like Stranger Things. I tried it the first season but it was a little out there for me. You’d probably enjoy it.

Naja

06-28-2003

Tuesday, August 13, 2019 - 2:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
If you peruse just a few of the archived pages above, you'll find enough good ones to last awhile.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Tuesday, August 13, 2019 - 2:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
I could do that Naja, but I was just hoping that a few people could name their very favorites. :-)

Thank you for the suggestion, Lakecat!

Naja

06-28-2003

Tuesday, August 13, 2019 - 3:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I think "House of Cards" is the must see series to knock out first.

Whrlwnd

10-13-2006

Tuesday, August 13, 2019 - 3:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Whrlwnd a private message Print Post    
Karuuna, Sci-fi-wise, I'd have to say my favorite Netflix Original has been "Stranger Things".

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Tuesday, August 13, 2019 - 5:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
If you’re a Sci-fi fan it would be tough to go wrong with Stranger Things. Plus it’s a fun trip back to the 80’s.

House of Cards is very good.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Tuesday, August 13, 2019 - 6:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
I never could understand all the Stranger Things love...it felt dated and weird to me, I watched season 1 but never had the enthusiasm to try 2 or 3.

However, if you haven't seen it yet, a show called Sense8 is GREAT! 8 strangers across the world suddenly discover they can share their emotions and senses with one another:
https://www.netflix.com/title/80025744

Another one I loved was "Altered Carbon":
https://www.netflix.com/title/80097140

Anyhow, those tow are the ones that popped into my head first.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Tuesday, August 13, 2019 - 6:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
House of Cards isn't sci fi, is it?

Thank you for all the suggestions! Much appreciated!

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Tuesday, August 13, 2019 - 6:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
Just wanted to add a note about "Sense8". The first episode was confusing for me but all the pieces soon fell together into a wonderful intricately amazing puzzle that fit together perfectly. It all makes perfect sense even though it might look that way in the first hour.

Oh yeah....it has a very diverse cast who come from different countries, speak different languages, live in different cultures with diverse sexual identities.

One more thing - this was made by the Wachowski siblings, who also created the Matrix films.

Bringing this series up makes me want to see it for the 4th time! I saw it alone, then watched with my friend David and then rewatched it with my friend Steve and then rewatched again for me.

There were 2 seasons...the finale for season 2 was done a year later and it was a finale movie for the series.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Tuesday, August 13, 2019 - 7:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
I liked The OA season 1. I just discovered there is a season 2 and have slowly started it. It's a weird one.

I started Sense8 with my teen and it was pretty graphic and we stopped and I never went back, but I was intrigued. Stranger things is just silly fun.

I don't watch a lot of sci-fi so nothing else really comes to mind in that genre. In the drama, crime area I really liked Halt and Catch Fire, Ozark, Bloodline (first seasons), and Orange is the New Black.

Naja

06-28-2003

Tuesday, August 13, 2019 - 7:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
If you want a great sci-fi Netflix original movie, you might try
"The Cloverfield Paradox (2018)". The earth has almost run out of energy, and scientists are about to test a way to have unlimited energy, but of course it has dire consequences.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Tuesday, August 13, 2019 - 8:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
"If you want a great sci-fi Netflix original movie"

Actually, Naja, it's the third in a series of 3 movies!

There was Cloverfield where some unexplained creatures invade NYC from the POV of a group of friends in the city....that was supposedly filmed by these friends on the iPhones.

Then there was Cloverfield Lane starring John Good man, a guy who built a bomb shelter and took a young woman there against her will.

And then there was Cloverfield Paradox that was the explanation of the mysterious event was actually happening in the first and second film!

Cloverfield (franchise)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloverfield_(franchise)

-----

Each movie had different characters and a unique setting, but they all center around the same event (unexplained until the the third movie).

Naja

06-28-2003

Tuesday, August 13, 2019 - 8:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
SFJ, I know :-) But only this last one, Paradox, is a Netflix original. The first two were released in theatres.

eta: also, none of the movies need the others to make sense. They can all stand alone as their own story.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Tuesday, August 13, 2019 - 9:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
Of course, you already knew! I should've known better. :-)

It took me awhile to realize it was a trilogy. The first was made in 2008 but the second one didn't come out until 2016 and it wasn't until awhile after seeing #2 that I read something about it being a trilogy.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Tuesday, August 13, 2019 - 9:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Several episodes of Black Mirror are Sci-Fi-centric (or at least futuristic) and are excellent. I agree about "sense8" - it's magnificent!

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Wednesday, August 14, 2019 - 10:45 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Although I liked it, Black Mirror can be very disturbing (especially the first episode). The series has a very interesting look at society in general though.

Altered Carbon was a very good (although grim) piece of Science Fiction.

I’ll have to have a look at Sense8!

Sunnyday

08-07-2014

Wednesday, August 14, 2019 - 11:17 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sunnyday a private message Print Post    
If you like British mysteries then Midsomer Murders and Father Brown are good ones. Netflix also has the Great British Baking Show. I also like Skin Wars it's about body painting, it's an older show.

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Wednesday, August 14, 2019 - 2:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Stranger Things reminds me so much of my youth I end up watching it with a combination of nostalgia and slight embarrassment.

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Thursday, August 15, 2019 - 7:50 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
Sunnyday, I too loved those British mysteries. I was so sorry when they were over.

Sunnyday

08-07-2014

Friday, August 16, 2019 - 12:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sunnyday a private message Print Post    
Ophillasgrandma, Midsomer is still filming new episodes. Have you ever watched Vera, it's on Acorn and Britbox.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Friday, August 16, 2019 - 1:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Wallander is another fantastic British detective series, too - just be sure it's the one starring Kenneth Brannaugh as there are two versions out there.

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Saturday, August 17, 2019 - 7:48 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
No, Sunny, but thanks for letting me know that eventually new episodes of Midsomer might be on Netflix.

Teach. I watched all of Wallender. Such a sad ending. I'd walk over coals to see Brannnaugh do anything. Did you ever see him as Hamlet?

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Saturday, August 17, 2019 - 8:34 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
Sunny, I've watched through the 20th series. There is a 21 but it hasn't been shown yet.

Dee

08-08-2000

Saturday, August 17, 2019 - 11:50 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dee a private message Print Post    
If anyone is interested in the E! show, "Botched", Netflix has "Botched Up Bodies". It shows parts of actual surgeries to correct previous surgeries. No blurring of anything. At first, I was grossed out but now I'm fascinated. I love when the victims are made whole again.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Saturday, August 17, 2019 - 6:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Ophilia - the movie version