TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through May 13, 2019

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: The Handmaid's Tale on Hulu: Archive through May 13, 2019 users admin

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Wednesday, July 11, 2018 - 11:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
CAUTION! Don't read this if you haven't seen the finale!

Kitt, just a theory, but I think that once she saw that the "good guy" (who has comparable power and influence in Gilead as Mr. Waterford does) was the one who came to help her and Emily escape, she decided it was more important to get baby Nicole out of Gilead -- and -- that, during season three, she will work with the good guy (since he's clearly a member of the resistance) to reunite her with Hannah. That will then allow her to reunite with Hannah AND her promise to little Nicole that she (Nicole) will meet her big sister one day will come true.

I can't remember the last time I felt such satisfaction from a TV show as I did when Emily plunged that knife into Aunt Lydia's back. Too, too delicious - off the charts delicious!

Naja

06-28-2003

Thursday, July 12, 2018 - 8:17 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I knew the second June went to get Hannah's photo that she wouldn't be able to leave. And that face! Oh that face! June's facial expression at the very end was terrifying. She's takin' names and kickin' ass!

Kappy

06-28-2002

Thursday, July 12, 2018 - 2:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
I was so hoping that the certain someone, who was first presented in such an ambiguous way, would turn out to be exactly as I hoped. PRAISE BE!!

I agree with Uncle Ricky that June changed her mind the moment she realized she might be able to accomplish more for the resistance by staying. This is probably one of the few times I've felt any hope for their future in this show.

Bye bye Aunt Lydia. Praise be indeed.

Naja

06-28-2003

Thursday, July 12, 2018 - 2:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I said "I" knew she wouldn't leave. I didn't say June knew yet

Sugar

08-15-2000

Thursday, July 12, 2018 - 4:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I literally raced home today is I could watch the season finale. It was wonderful!

I thought June might stay, she has a lot of 'splanin' to do to Rita and the Martha's. I do hope she manages to remain intact and join the resistance. Will she end up back at the Waterford's and how? Will Serena work with June or hate her for not staying with Nicole/Holly? Is Aunt Lydia dead or being kept prisoner? How would Aunt Lydia's absence be explained? Then again high ranking Commanders have power and leeway. Are Emily and Nicole/Holly going to Canada? Will they make it safely? Will they reunite with Oliver and Emily's wife? Find Luke? Stay tuned for the answer to these questions and many more in season 3.

I am in complete agreement with Uncle_ricky re the utter satisfaction of seeing Emily plunge the knife in Aunt Lydia's back, coldcock her, knock her down the stairs and get in a few good kicks. Absolutely loved it! I originally thought Emily was going to stab Joseph, dismissed that idea and decided she was going to commit seppuku then changed her mind. Figured she would wait and see if she would kill Joseph or herself at a later date. Nope. Attacking Aunt Lydia was a grand and glorious surprise.
I wonder if I should be worried about just how satisfying I found that to be. I am anti vigilante.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Thursday, July 12, 2018 - 4:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I was also a bit disturbed that I have found Bradley Whitford rather attractive given the last 2 roles I have seen him in are Get Out and The Handmaids Tale. Although he seems to be trying to rectify his part in creating Gilead. Good thing I can separate the actor from the role so I guess I really don't need to worry.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Thursday, July 12, 2018 - 6:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
I don't know how she can remain in Gilead though. She could hide with Bradley Whitford (who I still think of as "Josh") but that is fraught with dangers. Even if the powers that be don't think she has anything to do with the baby's kidnapping(???) there is no reason to be with the Waterfords now the baby is gone. I suppose if the Waterfords could allow her to stay if she promises to make them another baby but I don't know why they wouldn't cut their losses and start with a new handmaid.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Thursday, July 12, 2018 - 7:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Fred & Serena are integral to the story. There are cracks in Serena's "faith" and possible regret in aiding in the establishment of Gilead. Serena and June have a complicated relationship. June being in the Commander's house is probably her best bet for information. Perhaps the Waterford's will stage something so that it appeared that June and/or Serena were overpowered and the babe kidnapped during the chaos of the neighborhood fires. It would likely be in Fred's best interest to play something like that. Remember Fred and Serena's fear that they could end up on the wall if they lost Offred twice? They need to keep their house in order. Serena embarrassed Fred at the council meeting. She knows he will physically abuse and punish her. She also knows the Fred does not want to loose his position or power. Fred thinking or knowing that his house is against him only makes him frightened of loosing complete control or being discovered as unable to keep the people in his house in line. He can't risk anyone else knowing.

I suspect June will "hide" in plain sight continuing as the Waterford's handmaid. It will be most interesting to see what season 3 brings us

Sugar

08-15-2000

Friday, July 13, 2018 - 1:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Perhaps the resistance can manage to blame the fires and "abduction" of baby Nicole on Aunt Lydia? Be she alive or dead things could certainly be turned against her. Her tongue might need to be removed so that she cannot defend herself, however, it is also possible she would not be given much of a chance to do so.
No, they would have to render her incapable of speech so they couldn't interrogate her. Women are not allowed to read or write... Have a high ranking Commander speak against her...One cooked, drowned, shot, hung goose.

If Aunt Lydia is alive, my oh my, what will be in store for us?

Kitt

09-05-2000

Friday, July 13, 2018 - 1:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Serena agreed to let the baby go, so although she might be upset about June entrusting her to the other handmaid, I suppose she should have no major issues with June herself coming back, or hiding that June had a part in it.

And maybe Fred didn't particularly want the baby, especially because he's pretty certain the baby is Nick's. And he wants a boy. Maybe this works for him.

I'd forgotten they were concerned about their reputation over June, that's a good point. So that is another reason for them to play along.

I hope they haven't lost Aunt Lydia. I mean obviously the character is awful, but so perfectly performed it would be a shame to lose the actress. I'm guessing she's alive, and that family will say the handmaid ran off while they were trying to save her (Aunt Lydia's) life.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Friday, July 13, 2018 - 2:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Spoiler
Click below to view spoiler
I read that Aunt Lydia survives.

<added spoiler box>

Naja

06-28-2003

Friday, July 13, 2018 - 2:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I asked a mod to put your post in spoiler tags, Sugar.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Friday, July 13, 2018 - 5:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
It is all over the internet so hardly a spoiler.

Naja

06-28-2003

Friday, July 13, 2018 - 5:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
It's a spoiler.

06-29-2002

Friday, July 13, 2018 - 6:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Moderator a private message Print Post    
The showrunner has revealed this in several interviews, so technically per the TVCH definition, it's not a spoiler if the network/producer reveals it.

However, all the articles containing this also say that they include spoilers.

We could create a separate thread, if you'd like. But I think given that the showrunner and stars of the show are already talking about it, it's going to be difficult to continue to call it a spoiler.

Naja

06-28-2003

Friday, July 13, 2018 - 6:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I was angry I ran across that info in THIS thread. It's a big part of the story and I am pretty sure most people considered it a cliffhanger.

06-29-2002

Friday, July 13, 2018 - 7:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Moderator a private message Print Post    
As we noted, it is all over the internet, and it was put out there by people from the show.

By TVCH's definition, it's not a spoiler if it's been released by the show & company itself. Since multiple people from the show have revealed it, they apparently don't consider it a big cliffhanger.

So, we're sorry you were upset, but no one broke any rules.

It's a weird situation, unfortunately. Sometimes that kind of thing happens, and we're sorry you saw something you didn't want to see, but TVCHers aren't to blame. No rules were broken, and the show put it out for people to know.

We'd like suggestions on how to move FORWARD, and no more discussions of what happened. Thank you.

Roteach

06-01-2003

Saturday, July 14, 2018 - 5:52 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roteach a private message Print Post    
Wow. Glad to read that about Aunt Lydia. The actress is from Massachusetts so I always root for her to win an Emmy. I first found her on The Leftovers.

06-29-2002

Saturday, July 14, 2018 - 12:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Moderator a private message Print Post    
Again, *respectful* suggestions about how to handle this information from folks who watch the show would be appreciated. We haven't yet made a decision, and were hoping for constructive input.

Kappy

06-28-2002

Sunday, July 15, 2018 - 9:06 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
Naja ~ I understand how you feel but take heart in the fact that there's still so much to speculate about before the next season! :0)

I honestly wanted Aunt Lydia dead but now that I know she's coming back, I just wonder if or how she might change. Will she be softened by her near death or as I predict, even more hardened?

Some characters are repulsed at witnessing torture in person (Serena watching Eden's death) while others have no problem with it (Fred). Will the torture practices become one of the last straws for more characters next season?

I also hope they give us more information as to how this group managed to take over the country in the first place. I'm assuming they had help from outside countries such as Russia and North Korea.

Strategist

07-01-2014

Tuesday, July 17, 2018 - 8:42 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Strategist a private message Print Post    
I think that if something is out there on the internet, it should be open for discussion. But, I can also see that some people may not want to know about it. So maybe when we learn of something key to an upcoming season, put it in a "spoiler" box. The only problem is the ensuing discussion would uncover the spoiler. So what do I know?

Pamy

01-01-2002

Wednesday, September 05, 2018 - 7:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
I binged this over the last 2 weeks. It is soooo good!!! going back and reading all the posts here now :-)

Pamy

01-01-2002

Wednesday, September 05, 2018 - 7:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
I figure she will go live with good commander but reading Sugar and other posts have shown that there is a possibility that she could go back to waterfords. I just wish she would have told Emily to look up her hubby.

Serena, the actress that plays her is soooo good. I root for her to change and then I hate her LOL I root for her and June to become a team and take down the men.

Heartbreaking when Eden's dad said he turned her in, knowing they would kill her. I think that was a turning point for Serena. That and the ass whippin and loss of a finger LOL

Kitt

09-05-2000

Thursday, September 06, 2018 - 9:54 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
I think she will go back to the Waterfords because they're now kind of complicit in all this. I think Fred didn't particularly want the child that wasn't his, and Serena realised it was better for a daughter to let her live outside. So perhaps getting June back, pretending all is well except some evil outsider stole the baby will be politically expedient for them.

Naja

06-28-2003

Monday, May 13, 2019 - 11:02 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I just read that season 3 starts June 5! 3 weeks and 2 days :-)