TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through January 27, 2019

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: This Is Us: ARCHIVES: Archive through January 27, 2019 users admin

Texannie

07-15-2001

Thursday, January 24, 2019 - 5:58 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
I really like the episode. The camera work and how they integrated the past and future conversations was great.
Just watching the 3 of them on the couch reminded me of earlier scenes when they were little getting bad news on the couch. Kate, who generally annoys me, made me so proud when she stood up to Nicky and said they weren’t leaving!

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Thursday, January 24, 2019 - 6:12 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
I too was impressed with how they quickly and easily switched between scenes from the past with Nick & Jack and scenes in the current with Nick & Kevin & Randall & Kate. Almost seamless.

It did seem awkward to me with the three adult kids addressing Nick as "sir". Nick was old/er and they didn't know him, but "sir" was too formal.

I expect there will be another / more seasons? The show got the go-ahead for two more seasons after only 2 or 3 episodes into the first season which was very unusual. So more? How many?

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Thursday, January 24, 2019 - 8:41 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I think saying sir was just how respectful they were raised.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Thursday, January 24, 2019 - 10:30 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
We have to wait two weeks to get the conclusion. I hope they take him home with them.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Thursday, January 24, 2019 - 1:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
I agree with you, Texannie. I really enjoyed the episode. Finding an uncle they had always believed was dead is like finding a piece of their dad. I don't blame them for wanting to get to know him a little. It sounds like he's had a very sad life. I couldn't believe Jack was so harsh with him. He was so protective of him when they were younger, and Nicky was his only sibling. Just sad.

Texannie

07-15-2001

Thursday, January 24, 2019 - 5:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
Color, maybe it’s a southern thang, but I was so impressed with their ‘sir’ LOL

Babyjaxmom, I thought he was harsh too but then I remembered he thought he killed that boy. I think after dealing with his alcoholic father, and his brother’s drug addiction in Vietnam taught him you can’t always save people and you have to let go when they do horrible things.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Thursday, January 24, 2019 - 7:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Jack didn't even ask what happened though. He assumed his brother was such a mess of a human being that he did it on purpose. That's what seemed to be hurting the brother so much, that he never got to tell Jack it was an accident, because Jack never let him explain.

Snoopsmom

02-19-2003

Thursday, January 24, 2019 - 7:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Snoopsmom a private message Print Post    
Loved this episode. I had no interest in the Nick storyline, or Kevin's search while it was going on, but thought this was one of the shows best episodes.
Had me in tears and hoping for a good outcome and future for the Nick character.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, January 25, 2019 - 1:44 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I though it was a good episode.

I think he will come back with them.. At least the preview showed Rebecca talking to him.

Texannie

07-15-2001

Friday, January 25, 2019 - 5:38 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
Instead of sending a series a cryptic postcards, he could have send something along the lines of ‘please let me tell you what happened”.
In his addiction, Nicky was self absorbed and wasn’t a very nice person in general an wasn’t nice to Jack. I think Jack was just done. When you are dealing with an addict, there comes a point where you just can’t listen to their excuses anymore. I am sure he thought it was going to be more of the same.
Nicky did not seem to care about how this efffected Jack.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Friday, January 25, 2019 - 9:13 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Very memorable ep. Good one.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, January 25, 2019 - 2:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I thought Nicky had a mental health issue and undoubtedly PTSD.

And when guys came back from Vietnam, they weren't exactly welcomed back with open arms.

Jack could have told Nicky to get lost after the first card.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Friday, January 25, 2019 - 3:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
I didn't see the episode, but it makes you wonder if this is one of the reasons why Jack started drinking.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Friday, January 25, 2019 - 3:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
I think it was in his genes, Kooklie.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Friday, January 25, 2019 - 3:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
It was a very good episode. Best so far this season. The Nicky storyline is finally starting to become entertaining.

It’s wonderful that they made a different decision than their Dad and decided to go back. It’s hard to understand Jack’s complete rejection of his brother. What happened in Vietnam was awful but there was no meanness to it. A lot of horrible things happened there as well as a lot of stupid things. This was stupid but not ill willed. Nicky was obviously fond of the little boy. What happened was irresponsible and sad but not mean.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Friday, January 25, 2019 - 6:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Jack's addiction issue was a genetic thing, his dad was also an alcoholic. In a previous episode they suggested that Kevin's drinking and Kate's eating were also both likely caused by the same genetics.

And presumably Nick's addiction to pills to try to deal with the pain of Vietnam was also part of this genetics. Even if Jack didn't understand at the time, when his own addiction because apparent it should have registered with him about Nick.

Legalboxer

11-17-2003

Friday, January 25, 2019 - 9:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Legalboxer a private message Print Post    
I liked the episode too and as someone born right when the war ended, I enjoy the Vietnam storyline since it’s rare to see those references in shows that were NOT based in Vietnam.

I felt bad that Jack wouldn’t let Nick talk about it. I also never question why others don’t do things I might do - we all have our ways to communicate or express feelings.

Love Randall’s daughter saying he always is bringing people home ...just saying

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Saturday, January 26, 2019 - 12:22 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
Jimmer, didn't Nick say that you couldn't trust any of 'them'?

I think Jack thought Nick lured the boy out on the boat on purpose.

Now we know it was an accident, but Jack never did.

Still, hand grenades are not fishing equipment!

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Saturday, January 26, 2019 - 12:51 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
"It’s hard to understand Jack’s complete rejection of his brother. What happened in Vietnam was awful but there was no meanness to it. A lot of horrible things happened there as well as a lot of stupid things. This was stupid but not ill willed. Nicky was obviously fond of the little boy. What happened was irresponsible and sad but not mean."

Jimmer, from what I saw, it came across that Jack never understood that it was just an accident. Nicky tried to tell him when Jack came to see him, but Jack shut him down and refused to talk or even just listen to what Nick wanted to say.

In previous episodes set in Vietnam, Nick had always been high or drunk and was always saying stuff about how no locals could be trusted and he'd even hold his hand up like it was a gun and pretend to shoot the villagers in the area where they were staying and living with. I think Jack figured he was too far gone. Remember, Nick was always totally uncooperative and angry, so after the kid was killed, I think Jack just blamed him and refused to talk to him anymore. I got the impression that Nick was sent away that very day...and was too much in shock and maybe too high to talk about it. Jack kept his back to the helicopter as it took off with Nick, refusing to even look at his brother at all. He definitely blamed Nick and didn't seem to consider it could've been an accident. Remember also, Nick also told the Big Three that Jack saw everything in black and white.

At the end of the episode Nick was lamenting that he never got to explain it to Jack, finally saying the important part..."It was just an accident".

That's my take on it anyhow.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, January 26, 2019 - 3:12 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Well Nick had no trust of the Vietnamese and he was extremely careless with a child but meant no harm.

Jack had heard and seen alarming things from his brother whob was already a ticking time bomb.

But Jack never asked... and then declared his brother to be dead.

Starr

07-09-2005

Sunday, January 27, 2019 - 10:05 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Starr a private message Print Post    
 》I hope they take him home with them.

How difficult that will be... who would Nicky go with? Kevin is dealing with his new roommate's boxes everywhere. Kate and Toby are expecting. Randall is in the early stages of his marriage crumbling, because politics is going to take up all his time and attention. Who would bring a dead uncle with past (?) addictions, PTSD, 50 yrs of living as a recluse, and a gun into their family home? Yikes

I'm not saying leave him there, turn your back on him. But maybe move his trailer closer to the family somewhere?

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Sunday, January 27, 2019 - 10:55 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Maybe move in or near mom and step-dad?

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Sunday, January 27, 2019 - 12:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Meant he could move in or near Rebecca and Miguel. Since he's their contemporary.

Pamy

01-01-2002

Sunday, January 27, 2019 - 2:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
please let him not be Randall's next project to fix.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Sunday, January 27, 2019 - 2:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Well they could at least have him for a weekend! Then hopefully if all goes well see him more often. It doesn't have to be all or nothing right from the outset.