TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through November 27, 2018

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: This Is Us: ARCHIVES: Archive through November 27, 2018 users admin

Carlpsmom

01-03-2004

Thursday, November 01, 2018 - 8:51 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Carlpsmom a private message Print Post    
I am glad I missed that episode. It sounds like it would have bothered me all over the place.

Snoopsmom

02-19-2003

Thursday, November 01, 2018 - 8:54 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Snoopsmom a private message Print Post    
This show is losing credibility with me.
I want to know how Randall and Beth support themselves. Neither currently has a job, but they live in a mansion, with 3 kids to support and can afford to buy a multi unit apartment building. Now Randall is running for office (on what money?) so doesn't have time for a job and wants Beth to work on his campaign!
Then there's Kate and Toby. She occasionally works singing, or doing an Adele-a-gram, and he lays in bed all day and night being depressed. Since his depression no one has voiced concern over his job. Where are they getting the money for medical insurance that covers IVF and childbirth and how do they plan to afford to raise a baby? I'm surprised they aren't losing weight from not being able to afford food!
At this point, the only storylines I enjoy are Kevin's and the flashbacks to young Jack and Rebecca.

Marameko

07-14-2002

Thursday, November 01, 2018 - 9:11 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Marameko a private message Print Post    
It actually took me all summer to actually watch the last episode from last season.Now I am 3 weeks behind and I may bail.I have already cut off 2 new tv shows that I taped and did not watch.Manifest is gone already.
I am about to binge on "House of Cards"and I want to watch some Hallmark movies and several things on Netflix. So something has to go . Glad I have a conscience about making better use of my down time.
I don't for some reason like the story line with the foster soon to be adopted kid but I do like that they are Steeler fans. Maybe I can watch again via On Demand next Summer.Dropping this show today.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, November 01, 2018 - 12:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I still like it. Randall and Beth had very high paying jobs. Could be they stashed money away like crazy. Who knows.

She may have gotten great severance pay.

Kate and Toby, yeah, that is tougher to figure out, for sure.

I like Kevin and his girlfriend.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Thursday, November 01, 2018 - 12:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Snoops, thanks for listing out all those details! I couldn't put my finger on what was bugging me about this season and you nailed it → How in the world are these people affording all of these big-ticket expenses without any visible means of income??? They should rename the show "This Is Us Fantasizing"

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, November 01, 2018 - 1:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
That would be true of many tv shows where one has to wonder where they work and how on earth do they afford their home in the first place?

But there are real life people making choices that make me wonder similar things.

We had a woman who managed a Curves (and had another job) and she bought a horse. She had always wanted a horse. Cool. It cost a bunch and of course she didn't live where she could actually have a horse so she had to rent at a stable. But it was great and she was happy.

Later she mentioned that she didn't have health insurance at all, couldn't afford it... (this was pre-Obamacare). At that time I was paying $1200 a month for insurance which was horrible, but when I was Dx with cancer I'd have been in a world of hurt without insurance. No horse for me.

They should have had Toby and Kate setting up a GoFundMe page

I will say their dog has a very cute face!

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Thursday, November 01, 2018 - 2:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
She had a high paying job, she had been there a long time and she was dismissed without cause. Her severance must have been huge (easily in the 100k's).

Kate and Toby are a bigger question mark.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Thursday, November 01, 2018 - 2:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
In the real world, Beth's severance would have been substantial if she had worked at the firm for a number of years. I figure that Randall and Beth would be very cautious about their money.

It's Toby and Kate's finances that have really thrown me for a loop. They appear to live in a modest apt... that is probably over $3k a month in CA. She did work as Kevin's assistant, so perhaps he's still paying her way.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Thursday, November 01, 2018 - 3:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Sea and Dogdoc, I totally agree with you about the dog storyline! It worried me that they sat down on the bench, unhooked the dog's leash and said, "Go play," without watching him! To me a dog is like having a toddler. You have to watch them all the time or they can get in trouble. Unless they were in a fenced dog park (which occurred to me), they should have been watching him. Ugh. And don't get me started about the rock. Just a very poorly written storyline.

And yes, I've also wondered about Kate and Toby's finances. Last I heard, IVF is at least $20k a pop (with no guarantee of success). Some insurance companies will cover it, but a lot do not. And neither Kate nor Toby seems to even have a job. How are they paying for Toby's treatment? As someone who lives in California (not cheap) on a fixed income, I think about these things when I'm watching a TV show. Just doesn't ring true to me.

That said, I'm still mostly enjoying the show, despite a few plot holes.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Thursday, November 01, 2018 - 7:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
I'm loving it. Great ep for me, except the part about Audio swallowing that stone. Glad he pooped it out!

Just_gail

08-25-2007

Thursday, November 01, 2018 - 11:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Just_gail a private message Print Post    
Maybe Jack had life insurance and Rebecca shared the benefit with the kids. Randall and Beth probably have a big investment portfolio since he was a commodities trader or something. Kate and Toby are the only ones who don't seem to have a lot of money, but can afford IVF.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Friday, November 02, 2018 - 6:12 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I agree that Kate and Toby are the real financial mystery. Neither seem to have any sort of steady income.

Then again, a lot of characters in TV and the movies have an unrealistically high lifestyle.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Friday, November 02, 2018 - 1:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
Remember Ozzie & Harriet?

Ozzie's career was never mentioned on the show....and some people used to say the only time he left the house was to get ice cream!

https://www.littlethings.com/ozzie-and-harriet-facts/

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Friday, November 02, 2018 - 1:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
I always thought they were a tv family, and the show was about their home life.

Thorny, the neighbor, became Mr. Baxter on Hazel.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Friday, November 02, 2018 - 4:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
That was a fun article, Sanfran. I’ve only watched a couple of episodes (it was a bit before my time) but it’s so cool how it was modeled after their real life family.

When I think of Ricky, I think of Garden Party.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, November 02, 2018 - 5:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I think of Poor Little Fool and the controversy surrounding the plane crash which killed him.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ricky_Nelson

I remember Harriet always wearing a dress.

Now my mom and grandmothers wore "house dresses" but on tv the women wore more stylish dresses and earrings and pearls around the house and didn't seem to do much housework.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Saturday, November 03, 2018 - 9:39 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
I read years ago that Mrs. Cleaver (on Leave It to Beaver) wore pearls to hide a scar on her neck/throat from a surgical procedure. My mom never wore pearls around the house. And she often wore jeans. And yes, I grew up in the 60s.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Saturday, November 03, 2018 - 9:46 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Thanks for sharing that article, SFJF! I was a little young to watch much Ozzie and Harriet when it was on (I have only a vague memory of some of the later episodes), but I did watch quite a few of them in reruns somewhere. It was a sweet show, and it always cracked me up that they managed to get Ricky to sing a song at the end of each show, when he got a little older. It kept the teenagers tuning in for a long time!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, November 03, 2018 - 9:55 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
My mom's house dresses were more 50s than 60s, but she never wore jeans. She wouldn't let my brother wear jeans to school when we moved out here until I told her he would stand out in wash pants at school, so she got jeans that were not blue. Stubborn! She really had it in for jeans

But she did start wearing pants at some point. Polyester 😮

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Wednesday, November 14, 2018 - 9:30 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
Another good episode... man, the part when Jack rode on the Vietnamese motor bike gave me chills. I could hardly watch it. Then, the comparison to Kevin taking some of the same roads... well, I hated and enjoyed this episode at the same time. In the past, I said that the Vietnam war parts were difficult to watch. They still are, even though I know Jack lives.

Touching that Jack went to the soldier's parents... it sounded like he was trying to save everyone in the war. Then, when Rebecca sang her song and he finally cried... well, I did too. So, maybe her singing gift was to heal Jack, not become famous. "Let's go home"... tears.

So, I can't remember, do we know for sure that Jack's brother is really dead? I was sort of wondering if maybe he went nuts in Vietnam and they 'lost' him or he was reported missing in action. It sounded like the brother already tried to leave once and was reprimanded for it.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Friday, November 16, 2018 - 3:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Pretty sure he's dead. This was a good episode. I would have been around the same age as Rebecca in this timeline. Reminded me of some of the road trips I took with my college boyfriend. How young and innocent we were!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, November 16, 2018 - 5:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Dolly Parton recorded the song they played when Jack and Rebecca went into the first motel room with the twin beds in 1972. So it went with the time. I had to look it uo.. Never heard the song, but Dolly's voice is unmistakable.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Friday, November 16, 2018 - 7:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
I would have been a few years younger than Rebecca at that time.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Friday, November 16, 2018 - 8:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
Yeah, I could tell it was Dolly.

Naja

06-28-2003

Tuesday, November 27, 2018 - 7:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I was NOT expecting that ending! I can't believe we have to wait until January for the next ep