TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through October 04, 2018

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: Manifest: Archive through October 04, 2018 users admin

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Tuesday, October 02, 2018 - 1:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Dipo, I thought it was the woman who came up to the boy with leukemia (Cal) earlier and said something like "he is risen, he is not here."

Or it was the woman plane passenger who was on the news broadcast.

I'm a little confused.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Tuesday, October 02, 2018 - 2:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
It would make sense if it was the woman who was talking about everything, saying the government told them not to talk..... and then she was killed.

So now we can have government conspiracy, LOL.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, October 02, 2018 - 2:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
It was not a suicide.. There were shadows in back of her and she was being stalked in the garage. The blood on the screen indicates she was shot from behind, unless she whirled around and shot herself ..

I thought the woman who grabbed the kid on the street had less dark hair.

Alas,I deleted before reading..

Lostfan

03-10-2010

Tuesday, October 02, 2018 - 4:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lostfan a private message Print Post    
It wasn’t the woman from the street

It was that Asian woman from the flight who was being interviewed on the news ... being she spoke about the government being involved the shadowy figure followed her all the way back to her car after her interview

The little boy must be able to see these shadowy figures being he drew it next to his mom in his drawing

I kind of like this show, but I’m afraid it might have the same fate of the one similar to the airplane one last season (can’t think of name.....

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, October 02, 2018 - 5:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Hmm, wouldn't the shadowy figure be stalking the boy's father? Or him?

I thought that shadowy shape was his sense that there was another man in his mom's life..

But maybe not.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Tuesday, October 02, 2018 - 5:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
That was my thought as well. But maybe not?

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Tuesday, October 02, 2018 - 7:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
The shadowy shape was definitely at the scene of the woman who died.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Wednesday, October 03, 2018 - 12:49 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
I'm guessing that the shadowy figure the boy drew represents a presence that he feels and is with the passengers.

When I saw the woman in the parking garage and then the shadow and then her apparent murder, I thought the shadow just belonged to someone from the government who was sent to kill her to shut her up.

I did not get the impression that the shadow was connected to the boy's drawing....but I think maybe that's what they wanted the viewers to think. I believe the shadow in the parking lot was just a misdirection.

They presented us with the mysterious, spooky idea of a shadowed figure lurking behind the family in the boy's drawing....but hey, everyone has a shadow! This show doesn't feel like a linear story, it feels like it is more complex than it appears.

I'll be very disappointed if the shadow starts killing the passengers. So far, they've been prodded to do good things by whatever is guiding them with music and words, so, to me, it seems counterintuitive that it would also be murdering them.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Wednesday, October 03, 2018 - 6:28 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Or there are two forces at work here.

It’s a good series so far. I hope they keep it interesting.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Wednesday, October 03, 2018 - 8:44 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
I thought there were similarities in the odd shape of the shadow, the rather elongated head, for example.

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Wednesday, October 03, 2018 - 9:06 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
now I have to rewatch it, good thing it was DVR'd

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, October 03, 2018 - 10:40 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I don't remember a shape at the shooting, but admit I was probably playing Yahtzee and also online at the time I watched.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Wednesday, October 03, 2018 - 10:53 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
I just replayed the end.

They show the boy's drawing with the shape behind the boy. Then they immediately cut to the same shadow/shape moving behind the woman watching herself on tv, and then the shot and the blood on the tv screen.

I think that implies that they are one and the same?

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Wednesday, October 03, 2018 - 11:22 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
I don't think we actually heard a shot, did we? And I was definitely watching for the shadow, since it was in the boy's drawing. I think the shadow is a presence that has to do with the disappearance of the plane (alien?). The woman who was killed was not supposed to talk to the press, but she couldn't resist making herself feel important.

I agree with you, Karuuna. The shadow is not a person. It's the same shadow from the boy's picture. I'm thinking maybe he can see the shadow, but it doesn't really disturb him, maybe cause he's a kid and just takes it for granted. Or maybe he "trusts" the shadow for some reason.

I love this show!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, October 03, 2018 - 12:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Thanks, Kar! Yes, that certainly sounds like a connection.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Wednesday, October 03, 2018 - 1:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
"I think that implies that they are one and the same?"

Yes, it does imply that. But I felt that the writers wrote it that way deliberately to imply that they are one and the same.

When I saw the scene in the parking garage, it reminded me of the big scene in Silence of the Lambs. Jodie Foster was in a house (basement?) with the crazy killer and it was pitch dark....she was just feet away from the killer who has infrared glasses. VERY suspenseful. Meanwhile, the cops were rushing to the house they found from a lead.

They cut back and forth between Jodie/killer and the cops surrounding the house. When the cops finally rushed in, it turned out that the cops were at the wrong house. Jodie/killer were in a totally different house.

It was a great misdirection and it added a good deal to the suspense.

In Manifest, when the boy drew the shadowy figure and his father asked who it was, he said: I don't know, just someone standing there (paraphrased). He drew a figure he coudn't identify and made it a shadowy silhouette, but he didn't draw a literal shadow because it was a free standing shape standing with his family in that drawing. The shadows we saw later were on a wall just like the regular shadows we all see every day....the shape changes based on the angle of the light hitting the wall.

Do you guys really think there is some kind of a "shadow monster" loose in the world killing passengers? To me, that mean this show is a lot simpler and a lot less interesting that it seems to be.

In any case, I'm not saying it absolutely isn't a murdering shadow monster....I'm just saying that my impression, as I watched the episode, was that a lot more is going on than just some kind of a "shadow monster".

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Wednesday, October 03, 2018 - 5:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Here's why I think it was related.

The family portrait scene where Cal answers Dad about who is in the photo is mid way through the hour. Then we immediately cut to the woman (who is killed later) in the parking lot and the shadow.

In the last five minutes of the show Dad and Cal's mom start peeling off their clothes. Pan over their shoulders to Cal's drawing pinned to the wall, with shadow man.

Immediately cuts to woman watching herself on tv, shadow moving behind her. Gunshot, blood splatter.

So, why flash to the drawing at that point? It has to be related to one of the two scenes, right?

In both cases the drawing immediately comes before the shadow scenes. And it's really not necessary in the rekindling of the romance scene?

Let's recall that there are several religious references, too. The woman mumbling "he is risen, he is not here" (Reference to Christ's empty tomb.)

The sister talking to her brother (Cal's dad), that something miraculous is going on.

And of course there is the seemingly spontaneous combustion of the plane, after the passengers are all drawn to it.

Carlpsmom

01-03-2004

Wednesday, October 03, 2018 - 6:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Carlpsmom a private message Print Post    
I figured someone from the government had killed the passenger because she was talking to the press.

I know the drawing means something but I guess I took it for granted after the government bigwigs were talking.

I am enjoying this show and hope it doesn't fall apart. I like supernatural, sci-fi shows and they don't have to hit me over the head. I like surprises and the unexpected but enjoy a regular drama too. lol

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Wednesday, October 03, 2018 - 9:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
"So, why flash to the drawing at that point? It has to be related to one of the two scenes, right?"

Why? To misdirect us. :-)

The visual editing between the shadow and the drawing doesn't have to be related to the plot at all. It might just be about where the writers want us to look while they're planning some big surprise.

I think part of what has me thinking this way is that the editing was really in-your-face about connecting the drawing and the shadows, but nothing else in this mysterious event has been that heavy handed.

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Thursday, October 04, 2018 - 12:31 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
the shadow in the garage was really hard to see, or my eyesight is getting worse, one or the other, in the house it was vague as well, but definitely there.
many others are getting positive things out of their actions, the boy gets to live, the police solve more cases, man gets reunited with son.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Thursday, October 04, 2018 - 6:49 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Feeling very stupid here. I know I'm not a very observant person, but I swear I never even noticed any freaking Shadows at all in the entire episode, except for the one in the kid's drawing. I forgot that this show is along the lines of Lost and requires brain power and effort on my part to be vigilantly observant while trying to figure things out. LOL
I figured simply that it was the kid sensing that there was someone else in his mom's life.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Thursday, October 04, 2018 - 9:09 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Sorry, I'm sticking with the mysterious force storyline. of course, this mysterious force had to use a gun, so it has to have some physical component too...

As one of the passengers said when they were drawn to the plane and then watched it explode, something like 'whatever it is, it doesn't want us being investigated.'

It was a warning to them. That's my story. :-)

Carlpsmom

01-03-2004

Thursday, October 04, 2018 - 10:00 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Carlpsmom a private message Print Post    
I think it will be a combination. I still think someone, a real someone, killed the woman. It could be someone guided to do so, much as the others were guided to save the girls, and get the son out of prison.
So, it could be that those who are doing "good" are protected. Those who would use the experience for their own gain, for want of a better word, are not.
I did not really watch for the shadows much more than on the drawing and initially thought it was that the boy knew his Mom had a new man in her life. But, reading here, makes me wonder.
I want there to be a really good sci-fi, supernatural component to the show. Crossing fingers.
If another passenger dies this week, from the group, then, I will have to watch more carefully.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Thursday, October 04, 2018 - 11:09 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Mameblanche, that's what I thought too, that it was the man she is currently dating/seeing.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Thursday, October 04, 2018 - 1:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Okay, I found the episode on Hulu (already deleted it from my DVR) and went to the end of the episode. They did play up the shadow thing, so the writers definitely WANT us to believe it's a shadow monster.

But when I rewatched it, I definitely DID hear a gun shot and when the "shadow" was right behind her immediately before the shot "rang out," what was supposed to be a shadow (or the corner of it I could see behind her) looked pretty solid. I think it's the government who is not happy that she was talking to the press, but the writers want us to think it's a shadow.

I'm leaning towards SFJF's theory that the "shadow" is a misdirection. But then again . . . do we really know for sure?

Next episode: Polar Bears!!! (Just kidding.)