TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through September 26, 2018

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: Premieres (Scripted TV Shows): ARCHIVES: Archive through September 26, 2018 users admin

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Monday, September 24, 2018 - 12:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
I absolutely adored Magnum PI, back in the day. My co-workers and I would look forward to it, then drool over Tom Selleck and the new episode the day after. I refuse to watch a watered-down, faded facsimile of the real thing.

Also, I'm still gonna watch Manifest, cause it reminds me of Lost. I'll make up my own mind there, thanks.

Naja

06-28-2003

Monday, September 24, 2018 - 12:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I'll be trying Manifest.
Manifest reminds me of Close Encounters of the Third Kind as far as the not aging.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Monday, September 24, 2018 - 12:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Manifest sounds interesting but it also sounds like it may be too sci-fi for some viewers.

That was kind of a funny review article. Author is a little bitter.

While I love a lot of the Emmy winning/nominated dramas, sometimes I enjoy lighter (dare I say less intellectual) shows. They're easy to watch.

Lexie_girl

07-30-2004

Monday, September 24, 2018 - 1:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lexie_girl a private message Print Post    
I anxiously await your reviews on Manifest. If y'all decide you do like it, I can always catch it On Demand.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, September 24, 2018 - 3:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I have Manifest set to recored, but have some doubts.

I have seen several thumbs down on New Amsterdam, but will see.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Monday, September 24, 2018 - 3:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
The previews for New Amsterdam looked so good. A doctor that cares about the patients. :-)

Dipo

04-23-2002

Monday, September 24, 2018 - 3:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
the new Magnum was on The Talk and he seemed pretty cute so I am going to give it a chance.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Monday, September 24, 2018 - 3:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
It looks like it could be fun. Like I said, I'm not looking for Emmy winning drama when I watch it. I think it is a mistake to use the same yardstick to measure every show.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Monday, September 24, 2018 - 3:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
"Manifest sounds interesting but it also sounds like it may be too sci-fi for some viewers."

Maybe "too formula", I think. I was looking forward to this when I knew it was about a missing plane and its passengers turning up out of the blue after 5 years....but that review said those passengers start to develop super powers.

ARRRGGGGH! I am so sick of superpowers. I do watch some shows that feature characters with superpowers but this is at the point of total overkill.

The last network sci-fi show I looked forward to was The Crossing, where hundreds of people just appeared in the ocean and many drowned in the ocean. OK... Then we learned they were from the future. Still OK... Then one of them turned out to have superpowers. Then I was out.

Superpowers are just a tool for producers to avoid having to come up with good writers to create complex and interesting characters.

I'll still check it out, but I have little hope that it fare better than the aforementioned (and already canceled, btw) show, The Crossing.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Monday, September 24, 2018 - 3:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I have to agree with you there. Superpowers was a really fun concept when Heroes did it for the first time but it has become very old and tired. Same old re-worked plots over and over again.

Kappy

06-28-2002

Monday, September 24, 2018 - 7:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
I'm expecting Magnum to be like Hawaii Five-0. A not-so-great show that I will end up watching faithfully for those rare glimpses of beautiful scenery.

Whrlwnd

10-13-2006

Tuesday, September 25, 2018 - 5:54 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Whrlwnd a private message Print Post    
I very much enjoyed Manifest last night. The premier ep was presented in a way that certainly hooked me immediately. I'm intrigued to see where it goes, hopefully the future eps will continue to keep me interested.

Iluvreality

05-08-2011

Tuesday, September 25, 2018 - 6:57 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Iluvreality a private message Print Post    
Manifest is just a ripoff of the 4400 from several years ago. I suspect the little boy has something to do with the whole show.. They definitely focused on the same characters this episode.

Iluvreality

05-08-2011

Tuesday, September 25, 2018 - 6:59 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Iluvreality a private message Print Post    
Didn’t watch, there were only 2 celebrities that I even heard of.

Naja

06-28-2003

Tuesday, September 25, 2018 - 7:01 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Whrlwnd, I enjoyed it, too. Pleasant, uncomplicated, easy to watch.

Whrlwnd

10-13-2006

Tuesday, September 25, 2018 - 8:39 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Whrlwnd a private message Print Post    
It did take a little getting used to "Charming" (Josh Dallas) being married to someone other than his real life wife (Snow White/Ginnifer Goodwin), though. :-)

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, September 25, 2018 - 9:13 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I thought it was ok..

Dipo

04-23-2002

Tuesday, September 25, 2018 - 6:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Has anyone seen God Friended Me? I don't even know if it has aired yet, I accidentally saw it online and WOW, it is good.

I missed the Big Bang Theory so was watching it, and after it was over then God Friended Me came on. It is really good.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Tuesday, September 25, 2018 - 7:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
Well, dang it, I really liked this premiere! I kind of expect it to disappoint me now. Really good sci-fi shows don't really come along that often, but bad ones do.

I was happy that no one was flying or had super strength or any other "normal" overdone superpowers. This hearing their own thoughts telling them to do things and revealing unexpected results could get even more interesting.

I get the impression that they are trying to set something right because they have somehow tapped into prescience, so they can fix something one piece at a time. Of course it makes me think "time travel"....but when you think about it, they did defy time already. I could be totally off base, but time travel is what it feels like to me.

So far, we know the boy now has a chance to be cured. And they made it a point to let us know that the boy seems to be smarter than he was before. (Winning that game they were playing again seemed to surprise the others.)

Makes me wonder if the kid is destined to grow up and do something great (like invent a way to capture a plane from the past and then put it back at the perfect moment time to do...something.

In any case, as long as this doesn't follow the trending superhero model of people with superpowers running and hiding from an evil government that's trying to track them down, I think I could like this show for the long run.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Tuesday, September 25, 2018 - 9:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Sanfranjoshfan, what show are you talking about, LOL...

I watched the new Magnum, and it has some possibilities, can't believe they blew up 2 Ferrari's.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Tuesday, September 25, 2018 - 10:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Manifest.

I was mixed on it. Going to give it a chance but I'm not sure yet.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Tuesday, September 25, 2018 - 11:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
"Sanfranjoshfan, what show are you talking about, LOL... "

Oops. Uh...Manifest. :-)

Mack

07-22-2002

Wednesday, September 26, 2018 - 3:39 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
Sanfranjoshfan read my mind! Exactly where I’m at with Manifest. Jury still out but we left it on the DVR recording schedule.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Wednesday, September 26, 2018 - 7:26 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I have similar thoughts. It was much better than I thought it would be and as Sanfran said, if they stay away from the now standard superhero plot (as long as this doesn't follow the trending superhero model of people with superpowers running and hiding from an evil government that's trying to track them down) then I'm more than ready to give it a chance.

Manifest now has its own thread here:

Link

Spunky

10-07-2001

Wednesday, September 26, 2018 - 7:49 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Spunky a private message Print Post    
Manifest is okay, old theme but still better than other new shows, nice to see a thread on it.

Magnum is okay if you like to see a Ferrari smashed, but the actor doesn't really look like a Magnum to me, I may drop this one.

New Amsterdam is trying to be interesting but cannot keep my attention and I often had to fast forward and I find the acting very bad and the dialogue even worse, I may drop this as well.

FBI, same old, same old. I notice all these new actors in the new shows are not charismatic, I've watched other shows not better than these new ones but the actors were fun to watch.

I'm waiting to see a Million Little Things, there I noticed some actors I liked before.