TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through September 17, 2018

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: Emmy Awards: Archive through September 17, 2018 users admin

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Monday, September 18, 2017 - 10:43 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
I have never even heard of Last Week Tonight, what channel is it on? But I liked John Oliver on Comedy Central, at least I think he was on The Jon Stewart Show.

Dipo, Last Week Tonight with Jon Oliver is on HBO. It's great and so much more than a comedy show. Because there are no commercials, he can spend a solid 20 minutes on one subject, rather than just a couple of lines like most news shows do. He really teaches you about the subject. His writers are fabulous. They all deserve every award they were nominated for!

I really wanted Jackie Hoffman (Mamacita) to win for Feud. She stole every scene she was in! But I'm happy with Ann Dowd for Handmaid's Tale. She was so mean and creepy in that role, but every once in a while she'd show a little human side. Job well done!

Spear

08-05-2001

Monday, September 18, 2017 - 10:44 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Spear a private message Print Post    
I have never even heard of Last Week Tonight, what channel is it on? But I liked John Oliver on Comedy Central, at least I think he was on The Jon Stewart Show.

Yes, John Oliver is a TDS alum. His show is on HBO, about once a week. It's a similar type of show, but it goes more in depth into one topic every episode.

They release a lot of clips on YouTube, even for their longer stories:
https://www.youtube.com/user/LastWeekTonight

(Oops -- came in a bit late.)

Kappy

06-28-2002

Monday, September 18, 2017 - 11:16 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
There were so many strong actors in each category that even though I had favorites, I was okay with any of them winning.

I agree about Jackie Hoffman! She was my favorite character in Feud due to the great job she did as an actress.

I gave up cable a while back and now I only have my mohu leaf antenna along with Netflix and HBO. That means I have been able to enjoy many of the shows that won last night. I understand the frustration in not having seen any of these shows but trust me when I say that each and every nominee deserved to be there. I never used to watch the Emmys because for so many years they seemed to be just a vehicle for the main networks to push their shows. Last night was the first time in a long time that I felt like all nominees deserved to be there.

I also enjoyed the surprise appearance of Sean Spicer and was disappointed to find out this morning that so many were upset by it.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Monday, September 18, 2017 - 11:44 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
For anyone who is interested, we've been discussing Spicer's appearance on the Emmys in the Media thread in the N & V area. We should try to keep the discussion of Spicer in there if possible.

https://tvclubhouse.com/forum/read.php?file=/1071053/2158318.html&lm=1505759458#POST6190705

Sugar

08-15-2000

Monday, September 18, 2017 - 12:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I was thrilled with Elizabeth Moss and The Handmaids Tale winning Outstanding Drama Series and acting in same. I was hoping that Matthew Rays would win and probably should have won vs Sterling K Brown. Both are very fine actors indeed. Rhys showed more depth & range than Brown. I very much wanted Ron C Jones to win vs John Lithgow. I thought Mr. Jones had a beautifully crafted and exceptionally acted character and story and frankly, he out acted the pants off Lithgow as Churchill.

Kappy

06-28-2002

Monday, September 18, 2017 - 1:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
Message received Jimmer, loud and clear.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Monday, September 18, 2017 - 2:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
That's cool that you use an over the air antenna plus internet. Our cable bill is huge.

I like the Emmys because whether or not we agree with the winners, it gives us incentive to discuss the shows that we like.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Monday, September 18, 2017 - 2:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
I've never had cable or satellite. For years only OTA and Netflix DVDs. Still have OTA (good rooftop antenna on condo building) and stream stream stream.

Starr

07-09-2005

Tuesday, September 19, 2017 - 2:47 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Starr a private message Print Post    
LOL'd at Sterling K Brown RE: This is Us - having the best white family on tv... haha

And I think Stephen Colbert hit it on the head when he said there's just too many shows. I've never seen most of them either.

I wonder what the woman was whispering to Cicilly Tyson. It always kinda surprises me when a legend gets nervous. It shouldn't, they're just people, but it does.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Tuesday, September 19, 2017 - 3:43 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
I agree. There is too much on TV -- but I'm not complaining.

I thought it was more that Cicely was confused (due to age).

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Tuesday, September 19, 2017 - 8:23 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
She looked gorgeous though. The dress was just beautiful.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Tuesday, September 19, 2017 - 8:58 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
Yes, it was beeeautiful. No plunging neckline needed.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Tuesday, September 19, 2017 - 1:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
I very much wanted Ron C Jones to win vs John Lithgow. I thought Mr. Jones had a beautifully crafted and exceptionally acted character and story and frankly, he out acted the pants off Lithgow as Churchill.

Although I do love Ron C. on This is Us and agree he did a great job in his part, I totally disagree about John Lithgow. John was absolutely fabulous as Winston Churchill in The Crown and I remember pausing my TV when I was watching it months ago and calling my hubby in to see him, even though he wasn't watching The Crown. I told him, "This man will win so many awards for this part. He's wonderful!" And I was right!

Sugar

08-15-2000

Tuesday, September 19, 2017 - 2:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Yes you were Babyjaxmom.

I like John Lithgow and thought his Churchill to be very well done, acting class worthy. However, I still believe that Ron C Jones as William was Master Class Acting. If I were still in college, I'm pretty sure our Acting teachers would have raved about the performance given by Mr. Jones and probably devoted a class or two to his work.

Now that I think of it, it would be fun to go to class and discuss some of the performances over the last few years. Would really like to go over the previous season of
The Americans with Matthew Rhys, Allison Wright and Keri Russell. Sad that Allison was nominated for the wrong season.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Tuesday, September 19, 2017 - 4:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
I can't believe no one has mentioned Jackie Hoffman's faux outrage over losing to Laura Dern. It was unquestionably the funniest scene of the whole show. I rewound it over and over again - utterly hysterical. But even funnier was the number of people who thought she was being serious.

You can read all about it in this article:

http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/jackie-hoffman-screams-damn-it-slams-laura-dern-emmys-1202562654/

Dipo

04-23-2002

Tuesday, September 19, 2017 - 5:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
I forgot about that, it was very funny.

Pamy

01-01-2002

Tuesday, September 19, 2017 - 7:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
LMAO!!!

Spunky

10-07-2001

Monday, September 17, 2018 - 4:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Spunky a private message Print Post    
I'm taping it and fast forward... is this the show where all the HOB and Netflix programs win the award. Just like to see the fashion.

Kappy

06-28-2002

Monday, September 17, 2018 - 5:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
YES Henry Winkler!! It only took 47 years!

Kappy

06-28-2002

Monday, September 17, 2018 - 5:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
I noticed that last year I commented that there were so many strong actors in one category. That's how I felt about "co-star in a comedy". Any one of them could have won.

Great opening to the show!

Kappy

06-28-2002

Monday, September 17, 2018 - 5:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
So far, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel is winning strong. So happy for Alex Bornstein! I haven't seen this show but loved her on Getting On.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Monday, September 17, 2018 - 5:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
LOL, Merrit Weber mouthed the F word, before she went up on the stage.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Monday, September 17, 2018 - 6:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
OMG, Betty White!!!!! She looks great.

Kappy

06-28-2002

Monday, September 17, 2018 - 6:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
OMG - A marriage proposal - How beautiful was that?!

Dipo

04-23-2002

Monday, September 17, 2018 - 6:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
So are they doing one award and then a bunch of commercials, LOL