TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through June 18, 2018

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: The Handmaid's Tale on Hulu: Archive through June 18, 2018 users admin

Spunky

10-07-2001

Tuesday, January 09, 2018 - 9:07 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Spunky a private message Print Post    
.... unlike the world of 'The Handmaid's Tale', I should add 'the fear mongering' the author is trying to instill in the minds of the readers, or the viewers. If you really want to talk about 'cautionary' you don't have to rely on that kind of fiction, just look at what happened in Iran when that poor girl took her veil off during the demonstration, or the repression against demonstrators in Venezuela, and in other countries where they really suffer for lack of freedom. In the United States, although there is a very unpopular president, you still have your constitutional rights and freedoms, during the Trump administration you managed to create the 'Time's up' movment, and you're still free to call the president a monster whenever you felt like.

I like the 'time's up' initiative, but Oprah should take a good look at the nice photos of her and Weinstein being chummy and giving him a big kiss on the cheek. She's not so credible to me...

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Tuesday, January 09, 2018 - 9:28 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
It's interesting to me that many of the things you named are now occurring in the US just on a lesser scale. Constitutional rights are being threatened, demonstrators are faced with military equipment, and one woman who accused Roy Moore had her house burned down.

As for Oprah, at the time, she may not have known what it was like. Predators don't prey on women they don't have power over and so can't manipulate.

But if we are going to hold people accountable for everything, then certainly Trump should have been held accountable for his Access Hollywood tape. Right?

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Tuesday, January 09, 2018 - 9:48 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
The people who showed a lot of courage were the ones who fought for their rights and others rights and for justice before this became a popular issue.

Strategist

07-01-2014

Tuesday, January 09, 2018 - 10:18 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Strategist a private message Print Post    
Oprah likely did not know anything about what Weinstein did. But men like Weinstein and trump are exactly the type who would fit right in on "The Handmaid's Tale."

Jasper

09-14-2000

Monday, April 16, 2018 - 4:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jasper a private message Print Post    
Canadians this will be back on Bravo on April 29,

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Monday, April 16, 2018 - 7:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Yay! Thanks Jasper. ♡

Naja

06-28-2003

Monday, April 16, 2018 - 7:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Hulu people, the first 2 eps will be out April 25.

Naja

06-28-2003

Monday, April 30, 2018 - 10:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Episode 2 is gut wrenching. Bring your hanky. It tells Emily's backstory. (Alexis Bledel)

Spunky

10-07-2001

Tuesday, May 01, 2018 - 7:51 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Spunky a private message Print Post    
I watched (out of curiosity) the two new episodes but I still find the story too depressing and not credible enough, you can't change society almost over night, it takes decades and lots lots of revolts, not meekly submit... no way!! It goes too much against my free spirit and I can't take this c.rap for very long...

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Tuesday, May 01, 2018 - 8:15 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
I removed it from my taping schedule for my peace of mind and my nerves. It caused me so much anxiety, that I had to check Wikipedia for the storylines before each and every episode so I was at least somewhat emotionally prepared for what was going to happen that night. I can't deal with that stress anymore. It's an excellent show so enjoy it on my behalf cuz I'm out of here. :-)
I'm still hoping though that there's a chance that I will be in an episode as a background extra because it's made here in Toronto. And if that does happen, lol, I will certainly watch that episode.

Strategist

07-01-2014

Tuesday, May 01, 2018 - 8:20 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Strategist a private message Print Post    
I didn't know it was taped in Toronto. It's pretty disturbing for sure. But, I have been keeping up.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Tuesday, May 01, 2018 - 8:23 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Hi Strategist! Part of it may be because Margaret Atwood lives in Ontario.

Strategist

07-01-2014

Tuesday, May 01, 2018 - 8:28 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Strategist a private message Print Post    
Oh. It makes sense now why they crossed the border to beautiful, safe Ontario.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Tuesday, May 01, 2018 - 8:50 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Society in The Handmaids Tale did not change overnight, it was a series of incremental changes over a bit of time. The big overthrow of the government did happen relatively quickly as did things in 1933 Germany. It may be that not the entire USA government was dissolved to form Gilead but certainly the East Coast and at least part of the Midwest. Review history for a refresher on how this sort of thing can happen. Start with Nazi Germany.

Also, this is a fictional story. At least for now. Were it one of Aesop's Fables, the moral of the tale is pay attention to your government and don't allow the dismissal of basic human rights and/or the subjugation of people, especially under the guise of religion.

Naja

06-28-2003

Tuesday, May 01, 2018 - 10:26 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Just from all the backstories you can see how slow it changed. Each time they go back to someone's backstory, it seems to show a new incremental change toward overthrow. I don't think is gives the impression of some sort of overnight change at all.

Strategist

07-01-2014

Tuesday, May 01, 2018 - 10:46 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Strategist a private message Print Post    
Yes, people just got used to tiny little changes. For example, the husband needs to sign off for the wife to get medication.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Tuesday, May 01, 2018 - 1:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
The husband had to sign for her birth control, not sure if all medication but would surmise that is likely.

Marameko

07-14-2002

Thursday, May 24, 2018 - 5:42 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Marameko a private message Print Post    
An explosive episode...........

Knightpatti

12-05-2001

Thursday, May 24, 2018 - 8:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Knightpatti a private message Print Post    
Yeah!

Naja

06-28-2003

Sunday, June 03, 2018 - 7:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I was actually relieved Red didn't die in the explosion because I would be afraid of where June would end up after the baby.

I am betting Rory Gilmore is pretty much on the brink of all kinds of cancers after all those months working in chemical waste. I'm so happy she's out of there, though. I'm not sure how they expect her to produce healthy babies after all that.

Marameko

07-14-2002

Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - 4:46 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Marameko a private message Print Post    
Last week I was so busy with a conference at work that I actually forgot to watch. It seemed so long since I last watched that I was afraid I had missed 2 episodes but alas it was only one.
The Driver who was forced to marry and wants out of the house where June is seems to now be stuck and not able to leave.

Saggkl

07-16-2002

Saturday, June 16, 2018 - 10:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Saggkl a private message Print Post    
I remember reading the book. Would like to see the series, but not going to join another pay station.

Strategist

07-01-2014

Sunday, June 17, 2018 - 4:47 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Strategist a private message Print Post    
Saggkl, you'll love the series. It very much parallels today's America in a most scary way.

Mizinvanccouver

02-21-2003

Monday, June 18, 2018 - 9:53 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mizinvanccouver a private message Print Post    
Finally some hope!!! I liked last nights episode; she finally has hope. Mrs. Waterford sure seemed to be realizing what she has become and not seeming to like it. When the woman said to her,"I heard you like to knit?" We know she said she hated it and how she had to lie. Then when she saw the Handmaids husband yelling how he raped his wife, I think it finally dawned on her that it is 'rape'.

Kappy

06-28-2002

Monday, June 18, 2018 - 10:47 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
I agree with strategist. When you have a US government official just days ago reading passages from the bible while doing a press conference at a podium, it is beyond scary at some of the parallels to what is going on today. And yes, last week's episode held a seed of hope!