TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through May 22, 2018

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: Netflix Series Recommendations : ARCHIVES: Archive through May 22, 2018 users admin

Mizinvanccouver

02-21-2003

Sunday, April 15, 2018 - 7:38 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mizinvanccouver a private message Print Post    
Rieann....I am a big fan of Schitt's Creek; watch it every week on CBC. I too love Eugene Levy's son Dan Levy and the fact they co-produce it!

My 11 y/o daughter and I just started watching Lost in Space last night and love it! We are on episode 5 already!! I never watched the original so have nothing to compare it to. Is it based on a book or strictly tv show?

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Sunday, April 15, 2018 - 11:26 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
🤐😇🤐

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Sunday, April 15, 2018 - 11:27 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
I'm hoping I can find lost in space on YouTube since we don't have Netflix.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Sunday, April 15, 2018 - 11:53 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Seriously I can't confirm or deny anything about the film at this point in time, but I will say that it was the most memorable way to spend my birthday! Because we started on Thursday the 5th in the evening and ended on Friday the 6th, the morning of my birthday. Then I went home and slept through the rest of my birthday because I was so fried after filming and freezing for 14 hours. Lol.

As for Lost In Space on YouTube I could only find trailers and interviews. So I'm hoping one of you clever people might be able to find me a link to the whole series online. Thanks in advance.

Strategist

07-01-2014

Sunday, April 15, 2018 - 1:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Strategist a private message Print Post    
I think Lost in Space is a Netflix Original that was just released. It might be hard to find it online...but what do I know?

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Sunday, April 15, 2018 - 4:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
I think you can get a 30 free trial when you sign up at Netflix. That's more than enough time to watch all 10 eps of Lost in Space! :-)

I just finished it yesterday. I enjoyed it a lot. Not as hard and gritty as I'd been led to believe but also not as silly and ridiculous as the original was. I was pleasantly surprised and hope there's a season 2.

Btw, I discovered (after the fact) that Billy Mummy was the actor playing "the real Dr Smith"...but I didn't recognize him in his scene...until I went back and looked closer).

I've also noticed they are kind of playing with names on LIS. Parky Posey plays a woman pretending to be Dr Smith, but a few eps in, we learn that her real (character) name is "June Harris". (June Lockhart played Maureen and Jonathan Harris played Dr Smith on the on the 1965 version of LIS.) One of the survivors from the the crashed fleet of ships on the new LIS turns out to be named "Angela". (Angela Cartwright played Penny Robinson in the 60's version)....and in this new version, Don West rescues a chicken and keeps it as a pet....and he named her "Debby". (On the 60's version, Penny's pet alien chimp creature with the big head and pointy ears...and who could only say "blup, blup" over and over...was named Debby).

I'm wondering if/when we'll be seeing new characters on the new LIS named "Marta" (after Marta Kristen who played Judy in the original), "Mark" (after Mark Goddard on the original), "Guy" (Guy Williams played John Robinson on the original), or"Jonathan" (after Jonathan Harris who played Dr Smith).

Oh yeah...the actor playing Don West is Ignacio Serricchio, who played the sexy "Miguel Maldonado" on Bones.

It's a fun family show....not a lot of violence or sex...but I still enjoyed it! :-)

Strategist

07-01-2014

Sunday, April 15, 2018 - 6:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Strategist a private message Print Post    
Great info, Sanfranjoshfan. We completed episode 1-9 of LIS. Saving 10 for tomorrow evening. We found it quite good. Didn't see the first version, but we liked this quite a bit. Nice clean storyline. Good for the whole family.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Sunday, April 15, 2018 - 7:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
Strategist, here's a little clip compilation of Dr Smith vs the Robot from the 60's version. One would never have known the new version of LIS was based on this hysterically ridiculous show, if not for the title and character names.

Jonathan Harris (Dr Smith) chewed up the scenery on this 1965 series like a man who was starving to death!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfh-YY465HA

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Sunday, April 15, 2018 - 10:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
There was a movie made a few years ago based on Lost in Space and it was disappointing and very dark and not fun at all and I did not enjoy it. I'm hoping this series is more interesting and certainly more light-hearted than the film.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Sunday, April 15, 2018 - 10:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
In my memory, that guy (Dr Smith) was Roddy McDowell! I'm shocked that it wasn't him!

Mame, I think there was a really bad movie with Matt Le Blanc in it. I think I gave up after a short time with it.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Monday, April 16, 2018 - 12:10 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
Mameblanche, yes there was a LIS movie but what you referred to as "a few years" ago was actually two whole decades ago, in 1998! In that one, I believe Gary Oldman played Dr Smith.

Kitt, yeah that film is still hated to this day! I don't know why unless people just expected it to be as wacky as the original series. I thought the '98 film was okay but it wasn't great by any stretch of the imagination. To me, it was just a watchable standalone sci-fi movie but it was "Lost in Space" in name and marketing only.

Strategist

07-01-2014

Monday, April 16, 2018 - 5:07 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Strategist a private message Print Post    
Thanks for the compilation, Sanfranjoshfan. I didn't even know that Dr. Smith was a man until I came to this thread!

Naja

06-28-2003

Tuesday, April 17, 2018 - 7:24 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I have no idea if this includes all tv providers, but this week on comcast X1 boxes, you can watch anything on netflix for free without having to sign up for the free trial. (plus its free premium channel week as well. You can watch all the premium channel on-demand content this week for free)

Irsnappy

01-13-2009

Sunday, April 22, 2018 - 8:59 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Irsnappy a private message Print Post    
Yesterday I found the Series Vexed on Netflix. My DD were laughing out loud. After just a few episodes and with no explanation they changed the female lead and then the personality of the male lead and geez it is no drop dead boring...was so looking forward to entire 2 seasons...

Rieann

08-26-2006

Sunday, April 22, 2018 - 12:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
Irsnappy, you moved into season two. Lucy Punch was his partner for the first season which only had 3 episodes. Such a bummer as I found her with Toby Stephens character much funnier too.

Eta... I think they had her character move out of town.

Irsnappy

01-13-2009

Monday, April 23, 2018 - 7:42 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Irsnappy a private message Print Post    
Rieann, yes I googled Lucy Punch and she has moved across the pond to LA. What a shame they were such a fun duo.

Irsnappy

01-13-2009

Monday, April 23, 2018 - 7:44 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Irsnappy a private message Print Post    
Mrs Maisel allert!!!! I just read that Tony Shalhoub is now filming Series 2 of this wonderful show...I am so excited and can't wait to see it. Loved this show....

Kitt

09-05-2000

Tuesday, April 24, 2018 - 3:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
The two hour Sense8 series finale will be released June 8th!

Akwarlord47

06-26-2007

Thursday, April 26, 2018 - 12:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Akwarlord47 a private message Print Post    
I really enjoyed Netflix version of Lost in Space so different from the TV show or the Movie.

Vickie

07-16-2004

Friday, April 27, 2018 - 2:58 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Vickie a private message Print Post    
Thanks Kitt marking it down in the calendar! Sad to see the show go I was enjoying it.

Whrlwnd

10-13-2006

Sunday, May 13, 2018 - 7:11 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Whrlwnd a private message Print Post    
Some of you might want to check out the new Netflix series called Safe starring Michael C Hall (Dexter). I watched it this weekend, and I ended up liking it much better than I first thought I would.

Naja

06-28-2003

Monday, May 14, 2018 - 7:44 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
We started "Safe" last night and while it's a good story, I am so uncomfortable listening to Michael C. Hall with an English accent. It's unnatural and he's not very good at it.

Whrlwnd

10-13-2006

Monday, May 14, 2018 - 3:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Whrlwnd a private message Print Post    
I know what you mean, Naja. That's why I didn't think I was going to like it at first. However, if you're like me, then you'll become so engrossed in the story that you'll ignore his accent. :-)

Bluejaxrock

04-23-2004

Tuesday, May 22, 2018 - 9:42 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Bluejaxrock a private message Print Post    
I got an Amazon Fire Stick for Mother's Day and have binge watched "13 Reasons Why". So far I've got a love/hate feeling about binge watching but that's a post for another day...lol
Recommendations? I started "The Crown", but I'm struggling with it.
What about "Mrs. Maisel"? It looks fun.
Thanks, all!

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Tuesday, May 22, 2018 - 10:41 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
I'm struggling with the Crown as well. I like it, but sometimes I get bored.

Are you watching Amazon Prime, Netflix? Is your firestick jailbroke?

Some shows I've liked: Goliath, Sneaky Pete (season 1 is better than 2); The Killing season 1 and 2. Bloodline (first seasons), Stranger Things. Top of the Lake. Halt and Catch Fire.