TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through January 08, 2018

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: The Handmaid's Tale on Hulu: Archive through January 08, 2018 users admin

Puttergirl

08-11-2000

Sunday, June 18, 2017 - 12:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Puttergirl a private message Print Post    
They weren't necessarily high society before Gilead. But they were members of the organization that overthrew the government and thus were automatically high up in the new beurocracy. Very reminiscent of Hitler's Germany and nazism in the 30's before the war. Many high ranking nazis came from mundane backgrounds, just Like hitler himself.

Puttergirl

08-11-2000

Sunday, June 18, 2017 - 12:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Puttergirl a private message Print Post    
For example, the man in charge of the local chapter who became the highest ranked was an employee at an employment agency.

Puttergirl

08-11-2000

Sunday, June 18, 2017 - 12:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Puttergirl a private message Print Post    
For those of you who watch Orange is the new black, I enjoyed seeing "Poussey" again. I hope her role is larger next year. Actress Sakira Wiley, plays Moira

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Wednesday, June 21, 2017 - 4:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Several times today I'd stop and think, "Hey, it's Wednesday! New episode of The Handmaid's Tale!" Then I remembered the season is over. Sadness.

Strategist

07-01-2014

Monday, June 26, 2017 - 12:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Strategist a private message Print Post    
Wow! What a great ending to the first season. I don't know if I can wait until 2018!

Shelb724

10-20-2002

Tuesday, June 27, 2017 - 12:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Shelb724 a private message Print Post    
I have the book on my Ipad and I'm not sure I want to continue reading it until the whole series is on! My daughter has read the book and said the series was better than the book! Does anyone know where the movie from 1990 is? Is it on Netflix or wherever? Thanks!

Strategist

07-01-2014

Tuesday, June 27, 2017 - 12:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Strategist a private message Print Post    
I think Naja found it (1990 version) on one of the torrent sites. I think you can purchase it online, but I have not done that yet.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Wednesday, September 06, 2017 - 9:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I binged The Handmaids Tale a few weeks ago and thought it brilliant! Quite possibly the best series of TV I have seen in the last year and that includes This Is Us which was wonderful tv. I remember reading the book in 1 sitting. My dad was annoyed that I had stayed up all night reading. As I recall, the old movie with Natasha Richardson was ok but nothing like this show. Absolutely Outstanding across the board, writing, acting, directing, costumes, sound...
If Elizabeth Moss does not win an Emmy, all is not right in the entertainment world. Wouldn't mind seeing Alexis Bledel take home an Emmy either.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Thursday, September 07, 2017 - 4:35 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Can't wait to see what they do with season 2.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Thursday, September 07, 2017 - 6:31 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Me either Mame and I have no patience, I want to watch now!

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Thursday, September 07, 2017 - 8:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Lol I hear ya. As for me, it gave me such anxiety that I had to go to wiki and read ahead about all the episodes for Season 1. Hope I can do the same with season 2. I'm thinking I should be able to because I think it airs earlier in the States than Canada.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Monday, September 11, 2017 - 1:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Huzzah!!!! Congratulations to Alexis Bledel for her very much deserved Emmy win for creating and playing Ofglen in The Handmaids Tale.
Alexis Has been promoted to a series regular for season two. I believe the show will start to deviate from the book in season two.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Monday, September 11, 2017 - 5:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Yay for Alexis!!!

Spunky

10-07-2001

Friday, January 05, 2018 - 8:36 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Spunky a private message Print Post    
This is the type of fiction I'd avoid if not for my curiosity that made me watch the last 3 episode, thankfully with fast forward, the second series is starting in April on Bravo (Canada), I'll record it just because of the fast forward (if not for this option I wonder how much less tv I'd watch).
The book and the first movie I saw didn't seem this 'dark', the channel gives warning "Could be offensive to some adult viewers", I did find it offensive but maybe for a different reason than the obvious one. I simply cannot stomach any story of 'women subjugation' in this day and age and avoid watching the news showing women covered from head to toe making me feel reality is worse than fiction.
The main actress may have won Oscars, but I would have preferred a younger woman or better looking.

The fast forward will come in handy... again.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Friday, January 05, 2018 - 1:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Wow. You can't stand a story of "women subjugation" and yet the main actress was neither young enough or pretty enough!?!? I find myself quite perplexed by your post.

The book is dark, the 1990 movie was not the best book to screen adaptation. The 2017 Hulu series was very in keeping with the book.

Elizabeth Moss has not been nominated for thus never won an Oscar. Ms. Moss won an Emmy Award for her portrayal of Offred in The Handmaid's Tale. Emmy Awards were also won by Alexis Bledel and Ann Dowd for portraying Ofglenn and Aunt Lydia. The show was also awarded the Outstanding Drama Series Award.

Certainly people have varying taste and like, dislike, appreciate, disdain or are apathetic to the wide variety of television programs offered for viewing for a myriad of reasons. I am curious as to why watch a show that offends in content and didn't cast people who were young and pretty enough for what, more enjoyable watching? I really don't get it. Have I misunderstood what you are saying?

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 10:55 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
This show doesn't subjugate women just cause it's fun. It's a cautionary tale of what can happen if a government has too much power and the people don't stand up against things that are wrong. It portrays the horrors of a totalitarian government. Frightening indeed!

Sugar

08-15-2000

Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 3:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Very well said Babyjaxmom.

Spunky

10-07-2001

Sunday, January 07, 2018 - 5:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Spunky a private message Print Post    
I expected your reaction, it's not only the actress but the story doesn't make sense to me, this regime seems to be involving only a part of the United States and the way it happened was just too ridiculous, it's the United States not some obscure little country with no defense system.

The girl that escaped and made it to Canada was the only thing that made sense to me in this story.

Strategist

07-01-2014

Sunday, January 07, 2018 - 9:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Strategist a private message Print Post    
It's a cautionary tale of what can happen if a government has too much power and the people don't stand up against things that are wrong.

Agree fully. This story is exactly what is called for in this day and age.

I see so many parallels with today's world. trump's administration, the white nationalist movement, and the thousands of women who have come forward in the #MeToo movement are some.

The role does not call for "young or beautiful" it requires someone who can portray what it might feel like to be enslaved and raped. Elizabeth Moss is a magnificent actress and has done a superb job in the role. Most of her scenes only show close ups of her face and with the smallest of expressions she conveys so much.

Spunky

10-07-2001

Monday, January 08, 2018 - 10:19 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Spunky a private message Print Post    
The story is exactly what is called for in this day and age.... really??? The "Time's up" initiative seem to tell us the contrary. Women seem very much in control of their rights and freedoms. Thank goodness!!

Strategist

07-01-2014

Monday, January 08, 2018 - 11:43 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Strategist a private message Print Post    
Thank goodness Time's Up. We are moving in a positive direction, but little has changed for women yet. We have a long way to go. With trump in office, we're taking a lot of steps in the wrong direction.

The story is a science fiction depiction of what the world would look like in a totalitarian society. It's not meant to be taken literally and it does push the envelope. It explores misogyny in a patriarchal society. It deals with the "class system" and how people in the lower rungs are not able to rise above it. It shows that there are strong women fighting for the rights of all. Of course, this is a representation of a fictional world, but there are a lot of parallels to our real world.

Strategist

07-01-2014

Monday, January 08, 2018 - 11:46 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Strategist a private message Print Post    
Here's an interesting article with a video from the book's author and Elizabeth Moss discussing The Handmaid's Tale.

Margaret Atwood on Why Emmy-Winning Handmaid's Tale Resonates in the Trump Era: It's 'No Longer a Fantasy Fiction'

http://people.com/tv/margaret-atwood-emmy-winning-handmaids-tale-trump/

Mizinvanccouver

02-21-2003

Monday, January 08, 2018 - 12:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mizinvanccouver a private message Print Post    
Strategist....thanks for the link; enlightening read.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Monday, January 08, 2018 - 12:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Wow, Strategist! That article put into words what I haven't been able to express. Seriously? A woman was convicted of laughing at Jeff Sessions's confirmation and could spend a year in jail for laughing? What kind of a world do we live in????

Strategist

07-01-2014

Monday, January 08, 2018 - 2:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Strategist a private message Print Post    
That article is a bit dated. It's from 2017. trump's world moves quite fast. I think the Department of Justice dropped the case after public pressure.

Thank goodness we have strong advocates in our world - unlike the world of "The Handmaid's Tale".