TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through January 09, 2018

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: Golden Globe Awards: Archive through January 09, 2018 users admin

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Wednesday, January 11, 2017 - 12:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
"If more people cared what celebrities think, then Trump wouldn't be President."

That goes both ways. If more people didn't care what celebrities think, then Trump wouldn't be President. After all, Trump is a reality TV celebrity.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Wednesday, January 11, 2017 - 12:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
LOL - True but he is only one celebrity.

And Meryl Streep had the right to speak her opinion as well.

Of course. I've said that all along. I certainly have no problem that she spoke her opinion or with what she said. :-)

Roteach

06-01-2003

Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 12:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roteach a private message Print Post    
I am so happy for the wins for The Crown and The Night Manager. Night Manager was very intense and I loved it. I'm looking forward to the next season of The Crown.

Spunky

10-07-2001

Sunday, January 07, 2018 - 5:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Spunky a private message Print Post    
We are so selective that we have the option to skip Meryl Streep if we want (I used to love the actress, now not so much), I did it last year and will do so again this year.

The circus is about to start.

Texannie

07-15-2001

Sunday, January 07, 2018 - 6:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
I thought Seth did a great monologue!! And I quite liked not having the ‘what are you wearing’ question on the pre show.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Sunday, January 07, 2018 - 9:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
And I quite liked not having the ‘what are you wearing’ question on the pre show.

I agree.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Sunday, January 07, 2018 - 9:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
I skipped the pre-show. Seth did a great opening. I love him. I enjoyed the show.

I was glad to see some awards go to LAdy Bird, also best director for Shape of WAter (my personal fave). I'm not surprised by the awards for Three Billboards, which is very, very good.

It was a good show. Bring on the Oscars!

Naja

06-28-2003

Sunday, January 07, 2018 - 10:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I was happy to see Aziz Ansari win. I really enjoy his show "Master on None".

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Sunday, January 07, 2018 - 10:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
My favorite moment was Natalie Portman's "here are the all-male nominees for Best Director" to underscore the snubbing of Greta Gerwig for directing Lady Bird which of course went on to win Best Picture. Love Portman!

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Monday, January 08, 2018 - 7:52 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I didn’t find it as fun and entertaining this year (and show business is about entertainment). However, I understand that they were addressing an important issue and that dominated the evening.

Appalling that the director of the Best Picture winner wasn’t even nominated.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Monday, January 08, 2018 - 8:05 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Those categories are ridiculous anyway. How is “Get Out” nominated for Best Musical or Comedy?

Mizinvanccouver

02-21-2003

Monday, January 08, 2018 - 8:06 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mizinvanccouver a private message Print Post    
I thought Seth handled the show beautifully. So now I have a list of movies I would like to watch; Lady Bird, I Tonya, The Greatest Show Man, The Shape of Water.

Uncle Ricky, I too like Natalie Portman's comment! Good for her!

It was a good turn out, I mean I was wondering to myself when was the last time we saw Angelina and Jennifer at the same event?!!

Also, what was that weird exchange Jennifer had with Carol Burnette? When Jen asked to 'can I pull your ear'? And Carol was saying how she was 'kinky'.

So that's what 101 can look like aka Kirk Douglas. If anything the audience looked sad. I thought he seemed great, fiesty even. I hope if I live that long I am with it as he seemed to be.
They didn't show Michael Douglas or did I miss it? Catherine Zeta Jones looked great.

Speaking of looking great both Geena Davis and Susan Sarandon; they don't seem to age! Love those ladies.

I was happy for This is Us Winner Sterling K. Brown; he made a nice speech.

Speaking of speeches, I thought Nicole Kidman's speech was very moving and sweet what she said about 'love' and her husband Keith Urban.

Last but definitely not least, was Oprah's tribute and her speech. Wow...she is such a brilliant public speaker. She really should run for presidency.

I'm wondering who provided all those pins that said "Times Up"? Was it Oprah? I'm still stunned that man remains president and hasn't been impeached yet.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Monday, January 08, 2018 - 10:05 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Oddly enough, I never even heard of the movie that I won and I read the entertainment section EVERY day.....

Kappy

06-28-2002

Monday, January 08, 2018 - 10:15 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
I heard Carol Burnette tell the story recently about how the "ear tug" that she did at the beginning of each show started. She was very close to her grandmother and had told her ahead of time that she would pull on her ear during her opening monologue to let her grandmother know that she was okay and that she loved her. She originally only intended to do it once but it became a part of her opening from then on.

Anyways, I figured Jennifer thought it would be cute but it did come across as very awkward.

I really enjoyed the Globes last night and Seth nailed it as host!

Mizinvanccouver

02-21-2003

Monday, January 08, 2018 - 10:21 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mizinvanccouver a private message Print Post    
Kappy...thank you for the information regarding Carol Burnette pulling on her own ear at each opening monologue to her shows. I should have known that as my mom and I used to watch her show religiously. It came off as very weird/awkward. I even wondered if Jen had had a few drinks. LOL

Spunky

10-07-2001

Monday, January 08, 2018 - 10:25 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Spunky a private message Print Post    
The 'black dress' theme was all wrong, instead of a funeral it should have been a display of the most gorgeous fashion and be proud to be beautiful women. The "Time's up" doesn't mean to wear black and be mournful, it was time to rejoice and be playful with the most gorgeous gowns, this black parade was really depressing. And why black, if you have to go monochrome, use 'white', the purity and innocence.... oops, I'm talking about Hollywood here.

Kappy

06-28-2002

Monday, January 08, 2018 - 10:36 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
When I first heard about the all black dress theme, I too thought of funerals. But then last night, I was constantly amazed at how many different beautiful black dresses had been found! Wow, they were gorgeous!

And then my next thought was, I hope they all decide to wear as much color as possible at the Oscars to show they are celebrating their strength. I guess we'll see but I did think it ended up being very effective last night to see them all in black.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Monday, January 08, 2018 - 10:52 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
As I understand it, the symbolism was to draw a "strong black line" between how things were and how they will be.

Cinnamongirl

01-10-2001

Monday, January 08, 2018 - 11:12 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cinnamongirl a private message Print Post    
I thought the ear tug was always at the end of her show as she was signing off and saying goodbye... no matter. It was awkward on stage and I felt bad for both of them. They probably even rehearsed it beforehand.. LOL

I didn't even think twice about both Jennifer and Angelina being there til now. Maybe next year Brad will even show up! :D

I thought Seth did great. and Oprah was amazing. SO amazing. and did she ever look great!!

I actually really liked the black theme. I was wondering how it would all look but it SO worked. I loved the all black tux and shirts... and some of those dresses beyond beautiful..

Mizinvanccouver

02-21-2003

Monday, January 08, 2018 - 12:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mizinvanccouver a private message Print Post    
Cinnamongirl...maybe Jen and Angie were ok with both being there at the same time because so much time has passed as well Angie isn't with Brad anymore. There was rumour Jen was seen with Brad.

Yes, Oprah looking stunning! She is so beautiful! I didn't realize how much acting she had done.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Monday, January 08, 2018 - 12:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Yes, Oprah is a force of nature. It's really amazing how far she's come and all she's done with her life, when you look at where she started. She had a lot of obstacles to overcome. Love her.

Cinnamongirl, you are correct. Carol always tugged on her ear at the end of every show as a tribute to her grandma who raised her. She would always come onstage with her guest stars and say good night, then go around with a guest book to get everyone's signature. It was sweet. Always loved Carol Burnett.

I thought Angelina looked like a bobblehead doll. Not to be mean, but she looks like she's lost a lot of weight. I wonder if she's ill or just stressed. It was a bit concerning.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Tuesday, January 09, 2018 - 9:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
I loved all of the black dresses. Black is so easy to wear and slimming too!

Karuuna, which movie is it that you haven't heard of?

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Tuesday, January 09, 2018 - 9:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Three billboards in (somewhere). See, I can't even remember the name!

It won Best Picture at the Globes.

Naja

06-28-2003

Tuesday, January 09, 2018 - 10:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Same here. Never heard of the 3 billboards movie until I heard it listed on awards night.

And to go a step further, I live in Missouri and have never heard of that town Ebbing, MO, where the 3 billboard were.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Tuesday, January 09, 2018 - 11:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
That’s so interesting because Three Billboards has been playing for s while all over. Not just art house. I saw it Thansgiving weekend.