TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through November 23, 2017

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: The Good Doctor : Archive through November 23, 2017 users admin

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Thursday, October 26, 2017 - 10:09 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
The writing is a little silly sometimes. I was amused by his inability to lie. Our son is the same. Very honest. But he doesn't talk with that flat tone of voice. In fact, when he's excited about something (ie video games), he's very animated. My husband and I are constantly amazed at how quiet and reserved our son is, until we overhear him playing with his online buddies. Then he's animated and excited, a normal kid. The transformation is amazing!

Jasper

09-14-2000

Thursday, October 26, 2017 - 1:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jasper a private message Print Post    
I find the character's speech pattern has a sing-song quality to it while his other affects are flat. So in my very limited experience of people I know on the autism or Asperger's spectrum, I think Freddie is doing a great job with the portrayal of the character.

I'm still not sure if I will continue to watch it. I'd like a new ER. But I just don't care for the characters.

Legalboxer

11-17-2003

Thursday, October 26, 2017 - 10:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Legalboxer a private message Print Post    
It was the words shock and awe that bothered me. To me, shock and awe relates to using overwhelming force - usually in war but here for entertainment. But to me, having a doctor with autism should not be seen as a shock and awe ploy. Any TV show is about the characters and how we can relate to them. I just want society to get to a point where it’s NOT shock and awe (or unique) for a character to have a disability - just as in the past (and to some degree now) when it was seen as unique or a headliner to have a character who was black or gay etc, instead of just seeing the character as a whole. Another way to say my point, is i want a day where a person is not always automatically defined by one characteristic, or seen as incapable of doing things in real life simply because we have not been exposed to those circumstances, as sadly is still the case in too many circumstances. And actually I can go back to ER as an example of a show where we did see the characters as their whole self. Yes, race lingered with Dr Benton, as did Dr. Weaver’s disability, etc., but those were simply part of who the characters were, and not any “wow” moment. And I am not saying having a doctor who also has autism is not still “new”, I just wish it wasn’t seen as such - which I think IS one of the messages of the show (to look at him as a doctor and person versus what many perceive a person with autism would be like).

To me, his backstory with his brother, and abusive father, defines how I view him as a character, and why I want to learn more about him, just as much as wanting to see some flashbacks in med school, and wanting to see his relationship build with his neighbor. And hopefully they can write in some weekly medical stories that are a similar level as ER was. :-)

One last point, yes I am biased on this because I know too well from both data/studies and real life that the biggest limitation for people with disabilities - or any minority for that matter - is not their disability or race or gender but how society perceives them (and when I say society, I am not indicating that everyone has the same perspective) which is why I do speak out when I interpret some statements as being a bit misguided.

There is a lot of literature online, especially from the U.K. about the medical model (which is still mostly used) vs social model when discussing people with disabilities...I am pasting one of the more simple summaries of the two to show why I wish more approached things from the social model view - which maybe this show can help promote if it sustains viewership. :-)

MEDICAL MODEL
Disability is a deficiency or abnormality.
Being disabled is negative.
Disability resides in the individual.
The remedy for disability-related problems is cure or normalization of the individual.
The agent of remedy is the professional.

MEDICAL MODEL Youth Friendly Version
(How society views people with disabilities)

Disability is seen as something that could hold a person back. It is seen as something that a person should not want, or that it makes people different in a bad way.
Disability is bad.
Disability is a personal problem – the disability is in you, and it’s your problem.
What will make problems better is curing the person or making them seem as least disabled as possible.
Only professionals can help the disabled person fit in and be accepted in society.

SOCIAL MODEL
Disability is a difference.
Being disabled, in itself, is neutral.
Disability derives from interaction between the individual and society.
The remedy for disability-related problems are a change in the interaction between the individual and society.
The agent of remedy can be the individual, an advocate, or anyone who affects the arrangements between the individual and society.

SOCIAL MODEL Youth Friendly Version
(How the disability community sees themselves)

Disability is only a difference, like gender or race.
Being disabled is neither good nor bad, it’s just part of who you are.
Problems come from the disabled person trying to function in an inaccessible society.
What will make the problems and issues that people with disabilities have better is a change in society (like making things accessible for everyone).
That change can come from the person with a disability, an advocate, or anyone who wants people with disabilities to be included equally in society.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Friday, October 27, 2017 - 3:10 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Fascinating Legal. Thanks for aharing.

Jasper

09-14-2000

Friday, October 27, 2017 - 6:31 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jasper a private message Print Post    
Crikey that medical model is antiquated.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Friday, October 27, 2017 - 6:39 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Interesting post Legal. Much to think about.

And I am not saying having a doctor who also has autism is not still “new”, I just wish it wasn’t seen as such - which I think IS one of the messages of the show (to look at him as a doctor and person versus what many perceive a person with autism would be like).

That is a great way to think of it. At the same time though, the main premise of the show is that he has autism. It’s a bit of a tug of war between creating a show that centers on his autism and then normalizing it. Normalizing it in real life would be a great thing but on a show like this it would make it a different show. The show is about his autism and how others perceive it and him (sometimes negatively). As soon as the other characters on the show accept him, the show is over (or a different show).

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Friday, October 27, 2017 - 9:34 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
I think the autism is a bit confused with his horrific childhood. A childhood like that may well cause flatness of affect as well. And it seems like that's how he dealt with it (fictionally) in the flashbacks to his childhood.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Monday, October 30, 2017 - 10:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
I swear I need to pay better attention on this show, I think I should tape it so I can rewind, LOL.

Anyway, were the wedding party on a bus going to the wedding? It just occurred to me that was odd, so maybe they were in several cars that hit the bus, or vice versa.

Landileigh

07-28-2002

Tuesday, October 31, 2017 - 1:12 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Landileigh a private message Print Post    
They were in a party bus. Like how when kids go to prom. Easier to transport the whole wedding party in them, than in a limo. Limo's are old hat now. Party buses are the way to go.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Tuesday, October 31, 2017 - 12:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Thanks, Landileigh, glad to see you posting!! That is too funny, I knew about party buses but just never associated them with wedding parties, LOL.

But wouldn't the bride be in a different car, they don't want the groom to see her dress.

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Tuesday, October 31, 2017 - 2:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
I checked and titanium can be used in a 3 d printer.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, October 31, 2017 - 10:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Kar, Kind of chicken and egg.. His flat affect gave his horrid, abusive father an excuse to be more abusive.

And having not even normal nurturing as a child, and of course nothing to help him deal with his differences.. Just a horrible situation.

I just read Temple Grandin's 1986 bio that was updated by Temple in 2005 and she stresses that you have to build on the strengths that exist. In her case it was arts and crafts.

And reading some things her mom wrote, she acknowledged that it could be difficult, but also so rewarding.

Temple was loved..

This doctor did have love from his brother, but that father 😟

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, October 31, 2017 - 10:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I liked the latest episode best..

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, October 31, 2017 - 10:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Adding that the father would make anyone withdraw.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Sunday, November 05, 2017 - 2:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
We finally watched the last episode last night. I like that they took the focus off Dr. Murphy and highlighted some of his co-workers. His interactions with others really annoy me.

I think they really exaggerate his disability. He is super smart and made it all the way through college and seems to be handling most things in his life really well. It's been my experience that most kids with Autism, especially ones as smart as Sean, learn coping mechanisms to help them fit in. I find it hard to believe that he's done so well with his life the way they depict his lack of social and communication skills.

Jasper

09-14-2000

Sunday, November 05, 2017 - 10:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jasper a private message Print Post    
My recording seemed to skip a bit. what was the doctor told about the patient who was brain dead? The last scene seemed to be "there's something you need to know". As well as it skipped from wiggle your toes and then poof Sean was at the bus stop. Can anyone fill in the blanks for me please?

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Monday, November 06, 2017 - 11:59 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Jasper, the "something you need to know" was that the young doctor incorrectly inserted the breathing tube too far into an injured lung and the patient wasn't getting enough oxygen. She did a perfect bore, but made a mistake on that. The older doctor told her it was something that could've happened to anyone, but he told her he didn't want her to speak to any of the family, including the woman's wife. She probably would've died anyway since she'd been left at the crash site, but it was sad because they thought they'd saved her. He shared with her that it was a learning experience and every doctor has similar stories.

When Sean said "wiggle your toes" and they thought at first that he didn't move, then Sean said, "He moved!" Just took a minute. So that surgery seemed to be a success.

Think that's pretty much what you missed. How odd that your recording skipped over those crucial scenes.

Jasper

09-14-2000

Monday, November 06, 2017 - 12:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jasper a private message Print Post    
Thank you Babyjax. Yes it was odd. It would seem someone was overzealous putting in the commercials! And my on demand option doesn’t let you ff on new items so I would have had to rewatch the whole thing. I will say I’m liking this show more and more.

Legalboxer

11-17-2003

Monday, November 13, 2017 - 9:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Legalboxer a private message Print Post    
Shaun. "I've never met someone with autism."
Claire. "So it must be nice to spend some time with Liam then."
Shaun “Why? Why would that be nice?”

On a personal note, finally recognition on TV of a sentiment I have had my whole life. (Not for autism specifically). Thank you writers for being honest and human.

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Wednesday, November 15, 2017 - 9:42 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
That was a wonderful episode. Funny about that wall of tv sets.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Wednesday, November 15, 2017 - 10:34 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
That was so sweet that they were watching football together. My son has ASD and has absolutely no interest in either sports or TV. He would rather play with his video games and watch YouTube videos. He will come out and watch a movie with us once in a while, and he loves going to the movies, but he's always had zero interest in football. It's a little sad, cause his dad's a fanatic. Oh well. We've learned to accept who he is.

Jasper

09-14-2000

Thursday, November 16, 2017 - 4:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jasper a private message Print Post    
I had a lol moment at the end when Shaun made the comment about the vitamin to the parents. I’m glad I stuck with this show.

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Thursday, November 23, 2017 - 11:00 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
This show just gets better and better.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Thursday, November 23, 2017 - 11:32 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
It's my favorite new show of the Season second favorite is the Orville.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, November 23, 2017 - 2:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
So much improved...