TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through November 05, 2017

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: Outlander: Outlander - A Starz Original Series: Archive through November 05, 2017 users admin

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Sunday, September 17, 2017 - 9:28 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
:-) I felt bad for him until his racist comments about Joe's son and his plan to take Bree away. From then on....nada.

I also think their love was so different from the true love that Claire found that there was no conceivable way to go back to the lesser. No fault of Frank...he simply doesn't have the passion Jamie does. He acknowledges that Claire has a calling, he doesn't. Jamie does as well...and I think that is the key. Claire's love for Frank was a girl. Her love for Jamie is as a fully-realized woman. Again, not Frank's fault, but he falls short. Add that to his real faults (racism, lying to Claire about Jamie, etc.) and I just don't like the dude! LOL

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Sunday, September 17, 2017 - 11:43 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
I don't remember the racism. It's been along time ago that I read those books. But I'm thinking that it came out of jealousy that Claire was such close friends with a co-worker.

I still feel sorry for Frank. They were on their second honeymoon, following being separated by the war. All was good until she disappeared and came back pregnant two and a half years later. I know Jamie is far superior to Frank in every way, but I still feel sorry for Frank. He didn't do anything wrong.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Monday, September 18, 2017 - 6:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
He accuses Claire of having an affair with Joe, but then he makes a comment about not allowing his daughter to go out with a black man's son where she'd be exposed to "those people." It's right before he threatens to take Bree to England, and at that point...I was no longer even sympathetic to him.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Tuesday, September 19, 2017 - 2:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Frank was a product of his time, Teach. My own dad had racist views in his younger days, but he became more educated as he grew older and experienced black co-workers and church members, some of whom became close friends. I'm not saying it was right, but I think most of us are more open-minded these days. I still feel bad for Frank. He got a raw deal. Besides that was in the book and we haven't even seen that yet.

Denecee

09-05-2002

Tuesday, September 19, 2017 - 2:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Denecee a private message Print Post    
talking about a product of the times, what about how Claire was treated when she was having her baby? Argh! I would have been killed had I lived in those times.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Tuesday, September 19, 2017 - 4:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Amen to that Denecee!!! I wish Claire had punched that man!

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Sunday, September 24, 2017 - 2:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
I sometimes have a hard time understanding what they are saying. What did Claire say to Frank at the very end? She said she did love him and he was her ???

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Sunday, September 24, 2017 - 4:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
She said he was her first love.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Sunday, September 24, 2017 - 4:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
As long as I'm here I need to CHEER!

I loved, loved, loved all the LJG and Jamie scenes...most were verbatim from the book, and I adored that Matt B Roberts (the writer - and one of my favorites as he is a long-time book fan and now an executive producer) put in the line about the vin de burgonge line - a call back to Jamie's wine business knowledge.

Sam and Cait are knocking this season out of the park. Their eyes in every episode communicate sooooo much - their pain, the little joys they sometimes stumble across, their loneliness, their love of family....they are incredible!

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Sunday, September 24, 2017 - 8:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
Thanks, Teach! It's been so long since I've read the books, it's hard to remember. I am enjoying it.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Monday, September 25, 2017 - 4:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
That's why I always have the CC on when I watch this show. My ears aren't as sharp as they used to be and everybody seems to mumble on TV these days, plus the accents sometimes make things more difficult.

Can't wait till Jamie and Claire are back together!!!

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Tuesday, October 03, 2017 - 5:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Okay, did I miss something? When I started watching this week's episode and they were already in Scotland and Brie was helping Claire research records for any info on Jamie? Last I remember Frank had just died. I don't even remember Claire telling Brie anything about Jamie or that he was her father. In the books (as it would be in real life) that was a really big deal. Brie took some convincing to accept that Frank was not her biological father.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Wednesday, October 04, 2017 - 5:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Roger and Bree found out about Jamie in Season 2 - remembering Claire telling Bree when she found the article saying Claire had been captured by the faeries. Bree and Roger were the ones in ep 213 finale that tell Claire Jamie didn't die at Culloden.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Sunday, October 08, 2017 - 5:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
Loved the ending today.

Denecee

09-05-2002

Monday, October 09, 2017 - 2:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Denecee a private message Print Post    
I can't wait for the next show.... in two weeks!

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Tuesday, October 10, 2017 - 3:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Omg, Roger's watching Dark Shadows!!!! I loved that show. I used to race home from school every afternoon to watch it. I've actually been watching it on Amazon for the past few weeks. I'd forgotten how slow that show used to move. Lots of talk, talk, talk. Very little action--except maybe on Friday afternoons.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Sunday, October 22, 2017 - 7:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
Loved their reunion! I didn't remember that much from the books, but it's been many years since I read them. In fact, not sure what's going to happen with Claire next.

Loved Fergus reunion with her!

The aftershow with them talking about making them 20 years older was interesting. Especially when they are not!

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Monday, October 23, 2017 - 4:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
I LOVED THE REUNION!! Matthew B. Roberts is one of my favorite writers for the show, and almost every word that happened in that brothel room was straight from the chapter "House of Joy." SUPERBLY done all the way around!!

I have to laugh at making them older -- the characters are only mid 40-s (younger than I am - and I have hardly any gray hair or wrinkles), and they have them looking at least mid 50s! Sam will be 38 in about 6 months, and Cait just turned 38. IRL, they're only about 7-10 years younger...not decades!

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Wednesday, October 25, 2017 - 11:41 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Teach, we have to remember that people aged much faster back in the day. Especially in Jamie's time, and look how much he'd been through at that point in his life. He would certainly look older than we would today. (He still looked pretty good, though!)

I'm always amazed to see stars from 40 or 50 years ago and how old they looked by today's standards. Everybody smoked (which ages you) and drank a lot. Poor Judy Garland looked haggard in her 40s. People didn't take as good care of themselves back then as they do now (for the most part), so we keep our "youthful looks" a lot longer.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Wednesday, October 25, 2017 - 7:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
I agree, but 1) the books make it clear they've not aged much at all because 2) Claire's knowledge of good nutrition, dental hygiene, etc. gave them HUGE advantages over the typical people of the day. (Plus, Jamie's our fantasy book warrior -- and some me DO get better looking with age - Sam is one!)

I'm not talking botox young looking, but people who have eaten greens, potatoes, brushed teeth, etc. will look younger than those who haven't. Good genetics for both of them as well. :-) No lie - my great grandma who died at 95 only had gray hair around her face....not all over. At 48, I've got maybe 6 gray hairs, very few wrinkles, etc.....so I just hope they don't go overboard with this aging thing.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Thursday, October 26, 2017 - 10:18 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
My mother is 94 and her hair is still salt and pepper. She still has three sisters living (all younger than her), and their hair is pure white. I'm 62 (gah!) and have a few gray hairs, but I dye my hair so you can't see them. My nephew is 12 years younger than me (50), and his hair is pure white.

I would buy that Claire hasn't aged much, but Jamie has had a hard, hard life. Seven years in a cave and how many years in prison with terrible nutrition and deprivation? He still looks pretty good though. I don't think they aged him much at all. And it is supposed to be 20 years later. I know I don't look the same as I did 20 years ago.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Sunday, October 29, 2017 - 8:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
Claire wants to save the life of the man who just tried to kill her? Okay.

Love young Ian and young Fergus.

That fire was quite impressive.

Denecee

09-05-2002

Monday, October 30, 2017 - 10:24 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Denecee a private message Print Post    
I can't wait to watch it tonight!

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Tuesday, October 31, 2017 - 4:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Claire wants to save the life of the man who just tried to kill her? Okay.

Claire's funny like that.

Can't wait till they get back to Lallybroch and Claire gets confronted by Jamie's "other" wife.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Sunday, November 05, 2017 - 4:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
Really good episode! Of course, as usual, I didn't remember all that happening. May have to re-read the first few books one day.

Oh great. They promise to take better care of young Ian and the first thing that happens is he gets kidnapped.

The tall ships are beautiful.