TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through November 03, 2017

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: The Orville: Archive through November 03, 2017 users admin

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Thursday, September 28, 2017 - 10:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
Aha! So that's where Max Braverman has been since "Parenthood" ended!

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Friday, September 29, 2017 - 10:34 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Crap my recording didn't work it taped some stupid comedy instead. So therefore I'm going to have to wait till it's on demand. Hopefully I find it before the next episode

Dipo

04-23-2002

Sunday, October 01, 2017 - 1:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Watched my tape....cracked up when the computer was describing "depression food", and then when they discovered a huge artificial mass....I swear I thought it was going to be in the shape of a giant penis.

hahahahahaha, that is just what came to mind based on Seth McFarland.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Sunday, October 01, 2017 - 1:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
And then..."there's a little shop in Soho called Central Perk...my friends are there, please don't hurt the monkey"

I couldn't stop laughing....I love how they throw things in. And the fact the android being thinks he is being complimented when he is told
"You don't have to be a dick about it".

Dipo

04-23-2002

Sunday, October 01, 2017 - 1:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Love this show, it just makes me laugh and be entertained.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Sunday, October 01, 2017 - 4:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Finally saw last week's app today on On Demand. I am crazy about this show and love it to bits. I think it's my favorite new show so far.

Aka

01-02-2007

Monday, October 02, 2017 - 4:18 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Aka a private message Print Post    
If it weren't for this thread, I would not have tried this show.
I've been a Star Trek fan from the start and I agree that this show feels more like Star Trek than the new Discovery.
I found the show in On Demand and have watched the first episode and will watch the other three.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Monday, October 02, 2017 - 6:44 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
:-)

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Friday, October 06, 2017 - 11:40 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
Another fun episode! I was surprised to see Charleze Theron as the guest villain. That gave the show a little extra prestige in my book.

A stolen leg, time travel, and Charleze Theron....what's not to love? That's a combination that always results in a great episode no matter what show it's on! :-)

Dipo

04-23-2002

Friday, October 06, 2017 - 4:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Hahahaha, the stolen leg was the best.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Friday, October 27, 2017 - 11:30 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Last night's show was both excellent and awful.

Excellent take on the facebook like world.

Awful writing to say that the Navigator - someone trusted on the bridge of a (space)ship - who was told to keep a low profile, would cavort around a statue in a world they knew little about, in front of 100s of people. Or that he would be so flippant about trying to make amends. It bugged me so much!

But the show was a nice story on how things might follow on from where we are now, and went nicely from episode 2 of "Wisdom of the Crowd," which we also watched last night. It was aired a couple of weeks ago, so probably not a spoiler but don't read if you haven't watched that show: in the show they use technology to crowdsource data on open crime cases, and also give feedback to their viewers/readers. They'd got info on a suspect, told viewers to stand back and let law enforcement deal with it, but of course they didn't, they all followed the suspect, trying to take photos. Which is exactly what would happen - or worse - in real life, with people wanting to be heroes or wanting to be part of the story. So I just thought the two shows went to together well: the beginning of a potentially slippery slope and its (hopefully exaggerated) conclusion.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Friday, October 27, 2017 - 2:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I agree. It was a great parody and commentary on the mob mentality that we are starting to see more and more on social media today. People aren't imprisoned but we've seen careers ruined or people lose jobs and suffer significant penalties because of a momentary error in judgement.

Very funny (and unfortunate) commentary as well on what gets the general public likes on social media. Plus the side comment that no one bothers to check to see if stories are accurate.

At the same time though, I share your frustration over the character's totally irresponsible behavior and his unwillingness to sincerely apologize for it.

This show is so much like the original Star Trek series (except for the gross humor bits).

Kitt

09-05-2000

Friday, October 27, 2017 - 6:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
It is so much like that! I am still marvelling at how close just about EVERYTHING is to Star Trek and yet no one is suing them! I think Seth Macfarlane has some very connected friends.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Friday, October 27, 2017 - 8:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
"Awful writing to say that the Navigator - someone trusted on the bridge of a (space)ship - who was told to keep a low profile, would cavort around a statue in a world they knew little about, in front of 100s of people. Or that he would be so flippant about trying to make amends. It bugged me so much!"

Kitt, did you forget that this is a comedy? :-) It's so much like previous STs that it's easy for me to forget that until something like the Navigator humping a statue pops up to remind me it's a Seth McFarland show!.

imdb1
image from :http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5691552/?ref_=nv_sr_1

"This show is so much like the original Star Trek series (except for the gross humor bits)."

Jimmer, by the 3rd ep I stopped seeing very much in common with the original Star Trek because it's so much like ST The Next Generation....with the Worf-like character, the Data-like character and the storylines. This episode reminded me a lot of the TNG episode where Wesley was running across a lawn without watching where he was going and he ran into a small greenhouse or something like that and destroyed it. He was arrested and the punishment was death for breaking ANY law on that planet. The episode with Charlize Theron had a plot pretty similar to one on TNG where a time traveler came from the future (the Max Headroom guy) who turned out to be a tech stealing bad guy...only he was stealing small stuff and Charlize was stealing the whole ship.

I'm liking Orville as much or maybe a little bit more, than Star Trek Discovery now....probably because of the nostalgia it invokes and it's a much more light hearted. The new ST Discovery is a great show, but mostly dark and serious, although there are some fun quirky characters. Still, it feels darker than any other ST....more like the more recent movies than any of the TV series.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Saturday, October 28, 2017 - 11:04 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
I know it's a comedy, but the centre of comedy (or the comedy I like) is finding the humour in real things. To me the lieutenant doing that was so unrealistic I couldn't find it funny. But there's a lot of American humour I don't "get," so it might be part of that.

That's the only thing that's bugged me so far though, so imo the show's doing really well.

I haven't bitten the bullet on CBS All Access so I can't compare it to ST Discovery. I did watch the second episode so saw that starting arc, and to me it seemed more like a movie than tv. The Orville is really tv.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Saturday, October 28, 2017 - 2:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
"I know it's a comedy, but the centre of comedy (or the comedy I like) is finding the humour in real things."

When you put it that way I know exactly what you mean.

For a sci-fi example, the first thing that popped into my mind was "Brain Dead". The characters were seriously investigating an alien takeover, but not acting silly and out of character for political figures.....but still over the top enough to be hysterically funny.

I love the comedy of the main characters on Orville, complaining about their jobs or unsuccessful dating or when they're watching old Earth TV shows on the Brig's view screen during their breaks! They just aren't as professional as the TNG crew, but a lot more relatable, to me anyhow.

The humping incident was a surprise but mainly because it reminded me it's NOT an actual ST show! These crew members are like employees you might find in any business on earth today. There have been misfits, alcoholics, class clowns, and co-workers with dialy dating/relationship crises in most places I've worked.

Also, I do have a fairly twisted sense of humor. :-)

Mizinvanccouver

02-21-2003

Monday, October 30, 2017 - 6:15 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mizinvanccouver a private message Print Post    
I too have been enjoying this show and it does remind me of TNG!!! I love that! It's so quirky and funny and I the robot Issac, I had to look up to see if Brent Spiner was the voice it sounded just like like him when he was Data; turns out it is not!!!lol

Zeyna

07-15-2001

Monday, October 30, 2017 - 8:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Zeyna a private message Print Post    
Me too! I thought it was Brent Spiner's voice for sure. I loved TNG and this show definity reminds me of it.

Gurliegirl

06-20-2006

Tuesday, October 31, 2017 - 7:33 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Gurliegirl a private message Print Post    
I don't even like Sci-fi and I love this show.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Thursday, November 02, 2017 - 12:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
The Orville‏Verified account @TheOrville 2h2 hours ago
More
BOOM! 💥 Thanks to you, #TheOrville has been renewed for Season 2! 🚀

Mizinvanccouver

02-21-2003

Thursday, November 02, 2017 - 2:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mizinvanccouver a private message Print Post    
Yay!!! I'm so happy it's renewed!!!

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Thursday, November 02, 2017 - 2:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
As I said in the renewal thread .... yay!!!

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Thursday, November 02, 2017 - 8:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Ditto YAY!

Zeyna

07-15-2001

Thursday, November 02, 2017 - 8:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Zeyna a private message Print Post    
Great news!!!

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Friday, November 03, 2017 - 7:55 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Once again, I’m thrilled it’s renewed.

I didn’t enjoy the most recent episode as much as the others. I like the Doctor but I didn’t think the episode had the same level of humor and I missed the other characters. Even so, it was a pretty solid episode.