TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through October 18, 2017

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: Netflix Series Recommendations : ARCHIVES: Archive through October 18, 2017 users admin

Sugar

08-15-2000

Friday, September 29, 2017 - 12:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I have started a new series, Shetland. So far I like it. The first series was only 2 episodes and the second series has more, at least 6 I think. It is based on some books by Ann Cleeves, who also wrote the books upon which the series Vera is based.

I have not read any of her books and only watched a bit of Vera.

Irsnappy

01-13-2009

Saturday, September 30, 2017 - 6:18 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Irsnappy a private message Print Post    
Has anyone seen Travelling with my Father? I just found it last night and found it very amusing. It real story of a young british Actor travelling to Thailand etc. with his elderly father who is a very upright (uptight) british gentleman. Some of the predicaments that the son gets the father involved in and the father's reactions are just priceless.

Jasper

09-14-2000

Saturday, September 30, 2017 - 7:11 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jasper a private message Print Post    
Sugar I reallly like the Vera series, and Shetland. I do find it a little more dreary but no one does a mystery like the Brits imo.

Boberg

10-04-2002

Saturday, September 30, 2017 - 5:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Boberg a private message Print Post    
"Manhunt" on Netflix. I don't know how old or new this is but it was very good and very interesting. All about the FBI, the young agent who did the linguistics forensics at the BAU, and Ted Kazinsky. It goes into the Unabombers childhood, his time at Harvard, and why he secluded himself. Very interesting psychological profile. Made me think about "Sheldon Cooper from Big Bang Theory" I wonder if his personality and quirks were partly based on Ted Kazinsky.

I also find it interesting to learn of the horrific experiments some of these IVY league universities have done in the past without a review board or full knowledge and understanding of the experiments and without help for the participants...this one at Harvard that had an affect on the Unabomber...and the Stanford experiment.......both very inhumane.

Anyway I highly recommend "Manhunt" if you haven't seen it.

Naja

06-28-2003

Monday, October 02, 2017 - 10:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
There is a new documentary on Netflix that you just have to see. It's nice and short, only 40 minutes.

"Long Shot"

It's the story of how some footage from Larry David's show, "Curb You Enthusiasm" on HBO, saved a young man from the death penalty.

I remember hearing this story over the years, but it was interesting actually seeing the footage and people involved.

Rieann

08-26-2006

Monday, October 02, 2017 - 10:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
Get out! I have to watch that. Thanks, Naja.

Rieann

08-26-2006

Tuesday, October 03, 2017 - 12:29 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
That was good, Naja. I don't remember hearing that story before. I almost turned it off, to watch later, as I felt sick to my stomach from the horror in LV and I had just heard about Tom Petty (I was down sick all day). I'm glad I stuck with it as it brought me some happy tears.

Irsnappy, I have Travels with My Father on my list. I have always found Jack Whitehall very funny during his appearances on The Graham Norton Show.

Boberg, I also have Manhunt on my list.

Marameko

07-14-2002

Tuesday, October 03, 2017 - 4:36 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Marameko a private message Print Post    
The movie with Jane Fonda and Robert Redford "Our Souls at Night" was a nice feel good movie. The little boy who plays " Young Sheldon" was also in this flick.

Mizinvanccouver

02-21-2003

Tuesday, October 10, 2017 - 9:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mizinvanccouver a private message Print Post    
Anyone check out GLOW? I just watched the first season, it's about the first women's wrestlers based I think in the 1980's. I took me about 4 episodes to be completely invested but by episode 10 I was cheering them on! And I have never been a wrestling fan. Lol

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Wednesday, October 11, 2017 - 5:22 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
I agree, Miz!

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Wednesday, October 11, 2017 - 10:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Naja is totally right about "Long Shot" - miracles happen practically every day, but we rarely get an up-close look at one via a documentary. That young man needed a miracle to prove his innocence and thanks to "Curb Your Enthusiasm" (one of the greatest TV shows of all time), that's exactly what he got. He also lucked out by having a tenacious defense attorney - it was nearly as miraculous to have secured the attorney's services.

Vickie

07-16-2004

Thursday, October 12, 2017 - 2:40 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Vickie a private message Print Post    
My husband was watching Traveling with my father. I caught the last half of the show. It was amusing and I did enjoy it. The father always looked grumpy but there is quite the age difference. The father made it all the way through the trip and was a great sport about it all.

I really enjoyed Happy Valley and have been waiting for the third season. I don't think it was cancelled. Shetland is another good one. Wallander is over that was a sad series with his father than Wallander himself.

Midsommer Murder also has some seasons that need to be released and Death in Paradise. The list grows...

Kappy

06-28-2002

Thursday, October 12, 2017 - 8:39 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
If you like the lead actress in Happy Valley, try watching Last Tango in Halifax. It's truly charming about three generations within two families and all the changes that can happen in their lives.

I enjoyed Glow but it took me at least 4 episodes to get into it. I only continued watching because I like the lead actress so much.

Mizinvanccouver

02-21-2003

Friday, October 13, 2017 - 6:01 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mizinvanccouver a private message Print Post    
Kappy, my sentiments exactly re: GLOW. I also like seeing all the 80's memorabilia.

I too enjoyed Last Tango in Halifax.

Whrlwnd

10-13-2006

Friday, October 13, 2017 - 11:00 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Whrlwnd a private message Print Post    
Regarding Happy Valley: This is written in Wikipedia about the 3rd season:

"Sarah Lancashire initially said that she would not return for a third series, but later confirmed to the news media that she will return. However, no date has been set because Sally Wainwright has previous commitments to work on other projects. "Sally has told us she wants to write another series, which will be the final one. We don't know when it will happen," Sarah Lancashire said in September 2016. Producer Nicola Shindler has confirmed that the series would not be broadcast until 2018 at the earliest"

So, it sounds like it'll be a long time before Netflix will have the 3rd season for us to see. :-( But on the positive side, something to look forward to. :-)

Meanwhile, thanks so much for tipping me to another show starring Sarah Lancashire. I look forward to watching it.

Grooch

06-16-2006

Friday, October 13, 2017 - 1:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
Kappy, I've been after my cousin for forever to watch Last Tango, but she never did. She broke her arm last week and was stuck in the house, bored. She ended up watching the whole series in one sitting. Needless to say, she loved it! Lol!

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Saturday, October 14, 2017 - 4:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
Thanks to Naja and others for recommending Long Shot -- what a great documentary! And only 40 minutes, so a good thing to watch when you have less than an hour. What a great story. And told so well.

I also watched Gerald's Game, the Netflix film from the STeven King story. Hmmm.... in many ways it works. It actually made me feel claustrophobic at first. But I think it has some faults. **** possible spoilers *** I wish the ending was more of an aha moment, where you could look back at previous events and see that it fit in. I didn't think it really did. Not a great film, but okay for a psychological thrill.

Naja

06-28-2003

Saturday, October 14, 2017 - 8:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
If anybody is looking for something for the Halloween season, last night I binged until wee hours on "Lore".

It's an anthology of 6 sort of documentary/drama style episodes. It's about the origins of scary lore that has been passed down through the ages. I loved all the episodes except the 5th one. It was about werewolves and it was a little less interesting than the rest of them. Oh, it's on Amazon.

Rieann

08-26-2006

Wednesday, October 18, 2017 - 4:07 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
I'm currently on episode 6 of Mindhunter and I'm enjoying it. It is set in 1977 during the early days of criminal psychology and criminal profiling at the FBI. Jonathan Groff plays one of the agents who interview imprisoned serial killers in order to understand how they think.

I also just watched Patton Oswalt's new stand up special Annihilation. Love him!

Vickie

07-16-2004

Wednesday, October 18, 2017 - 6:33 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Vickie a private message Print Post    
Last Tango in Halifax was such a hoot. If something could go wrong with a family you could count on it.

Vera was a another show I miss. They had it on hulu and I don't have that anymore. Amazon was charging an arm & a leg to watch. I don't have Prime any more. I hope they bring that show over to netflix. They brought all the Saw movies that weren't prime so my fingers are crossed.

Scooterrific

07-08-2005

Wednesday, October 18, 2017 - 8:09 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scooterrific a private message Print Post    
Rieann...I put Mindhunter on my list. I saw it listed and thought that's something I would enjoy. Of course, with all of the fall shows back, Lord knows when I'll get to it...might be summer LOL.

Rieann

08-26-2006

Wednesday, October 18, 2017 - 10:37 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
I hear ya, Scoot. I have so many to watch myself. I keep bouncing around to different shows like a fart in a skillet. I must look up the origin of that phrase... I use it far too often. LOL

-----------------------------

Glad so many have enjoyed Last Tango in Halifax. It is a great show.

Vickie, you can get Vera through Acorn TV. I love that show too. Acorn costs around $5 a month though.

Strategist

07-01-2014

Wednesday, October 18, 2017 - 11:54 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Strategist a private message Print Post    
LOL I've never heard that phrase before, Rieann.

I've saved Mindhunter to view as well. I do hope to get to it when I'm finished binge watching everything I've got recorded.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Wednesday, October 18, 2017 - 12:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I am currently binge watching Orphan Black on Amazon and am most impressed with Tatiana Maslany. I started season 2 last night. Ok early this am, whatever you call 4:00 am when you haven't gone to bed yet.

Vickie

07-16-2004

Wednesday, October 18, 2017 - 1:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Vickie a private message Print Post    
I really liked Orphan Black I was to the last season they had on amazon. Thanks for the acorn info.