TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through October 14, 2017

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: This Is Us: ARCHIVES: Archive through October 14, 2017 users admin

Strategist

07-01-2014

Monday, October 09, 2017 - 2:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Strategist a private message Print Post    
Mothers and daughters. It certainly is complicated. Such a tough issue to tackle, but they do such a great job.

Strategist

07-01-2014

Monday, October 09, 2017 - 3:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Strategist a private message Print Post    
Sorry to hear your story, Jenjackso. Some situations certainly are difficult. You are a good daughter to do what you can for your mother.

The situation with the Kate-Rebecca story line seems to suggest that Rebecca tried to be good to Kate and Kate was not able to receive that. It's not that easy to get over years of tension and underlying issues. I am looking forward to seeing that story unfold.

Strategist

07-01-2014

Monday, October 09, 2017 - 3:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Strategist a private message Print Post    
Colordeagua, thanks for the link. It seems that the writers sure have a lot to offer in terms of their own relationships with their mothers.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Monday, October 09, 2017 - 4:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Pamy, I think it depends on the kid. You know that I work with at-risk youth, some of them are boys around 12-13, and they have been horrifically bullied. That's what makes them "at-risk." Often of suicide, or self-cutting. We have other "at-risk" youth who have a parent in prison, or have experienced the death of one or both parents.

So what makes one "at-risk" can be highly varied. It doesn't necessarily mean that the children have behaved badly in any way.

Disclaimer: I have not watched this episode, still working my way through last season. :-)

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, October 09, 2017 - 6:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Kar, we won't see this until next episode. And we just see a flash where she is seeming to be stealing belongings from Beth, Randall's wife.

ETA after more promos, I noticed Deja flinching away from Randall and it sounded like Deja accusing Beth not give versa.

Then after viewing, we know that Beth went to put away Deja's belongings, found cigarettes, was holding those when Deja returned to the room and was reacting.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Tuesday, October 10, 2017 - 11:29 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
I had a fairly happy childhood, other than a couple of bumps in the road (whose parents are perfect?). But my younger brother has stories about my parents that I wasn't aware of at the time. I think I was a pretty easy kid (the pleaser), so they weren't hard on me. My brother had some serious emotional and probably neurological issues (my other brother and I are pretty sure he has Aspergers, but was never diagnosed). It's like my brother was raised by different parents than me. I think they were harder on him than on me, cause they just didn't know how to deal with him. I was Daddy's Girl, so I got away with stuff. But my dad was always trying to "make a man" out of my brother. They just didn't get him. He has a lot of anger.

Julieboo

02-05-2002

Tuesday, October 10, 2017 - 8:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Julieboo a private message Print Post    
So is Kevin really going to be just like his father and become an addict? Would the show be that transparent?
Also did we ever see Kevin before have a hard time talking about Jack?

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Tuesday, October 10, 2017 - 8:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
A favorite line in the show spoken by Sly, "There's no such thing as a long time ago. There's only memories that mean something and memories that don't."

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Wednesday, October 11, 2017 - 6:55 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
That is a great line.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Wednesday, October 11, 2017 - 8:18 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
From what I remember, Kevin was always very jealous of the attention that Randall got. His character was not very 'deep' last season, if you know what I mean.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, October 13, 2017 - 11:03 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
That was a great line.

Kevin has been portrayed as the more superficial, but more normal of the three siblings, more social..

But now he is seeing (and has helped) Kate and Randall move forward, having dealt with loss of father (fathers in Randall's case) and Kevin's defenses are crumbling.

Maybe it is time, and he has Sophie, his champion for years.. Her reaction was enough for him at the talent show, then it got him through the humiliating return to The Manny.

At both events, key people missed his performance.. Jack was thrashing that heavy bag during the talent show, Kate was present but in her own funk.. but Sophie was there in the front row. At The Manny everyone but Miguel and the girls bailed on him.. but Sophie was there.

I hated to hear, just like my father and see him lol those pills..

Seems he had injured his knee in the past, thus the cast the night Jack died.

We also see how the dog came into the picture.

And Deja.. Do they have baby monitors on their own girls? Seems like an invasion of privacy.

That went better than likely in real life, but in this family, on this show, those girls shoot straight and tell it like it is.

Loved the flashback to Randall's dad, talking to his younger granddaughter.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Friday, October 13, 2017 - 3:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
I thought she brought the baby monitors out just because she did not trust the foster child around her children yet. Randall said something like she didn't use them when the father first came to stay.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, October 13, 2017 - 4:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
That makes sense.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Saturday, October 14, 2017 - 11:50 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I’ve never watched this show so I’m a bit curious. From most of the discussion (here and elsewhere) it seems to me that the main focus of the show is the death of a major character at some point in the future?

Strategist

07-01-2014

Saturday, October 14, 2017 - 2:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Strategist a private message Print Post    
Jimmer, it's about family, love and life. Happiness and pain are part of it too. The storylines of many characters weave into their past and present. There is a lot of intricacy, which makes us think and wonder.

There are spoilers and surprises every week, so I would highly recommend starting at the first episode (which is excellent, emotional, and enthralling.) You'll definitely be hooked after that.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Saturday, October 14, 2017 - 2:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Jimmer, you must drop everything and begin watching this show immediately (if not sooner). I have zero doubt you will love it. I will refund your money, if applicable, should you report back that did not absolutely adore every episode.

Legalboxer

11-17-2003

Saturday, October 14, 2017 - 3:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Legalboxer a private message Print Post    
The death occurred in the past but we don’t know exactly how yet. And we care about the present and past storylines.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Saturday, October 14, 2017 - 4:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
Jimmer, as Strategist said, you have to watch from the very begging -- season 1, episode 1.

Pamy

01-01-2002

Saturday, October 14, 2017 - 5:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
I agree with Uncle Rick and yes you must start at ep1 and dont read anything about this show until you have seen all the eps!

Naja

06-28-2003

Saturday, October 14, 2017 - 5:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
You guys seem nuts about it, so I am giving it a try. I'm almost done with ep 1 and I didn't realize it at first, but I think this is the very last thing Alan Thicke was ever in before he passed away.

(I had actually watched the pilot when it first came out, but it seemed so depressing I didn't keep watching. This time I'll push through)

Pamy

01-01-2002

Saturday, October 14, 2017 - 5:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
Naja, it takes you on an emotional journey about every ep but it is so heartwarming.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Saturday, October 14, 2017 - 8:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
One of the best shows on TV... total quality. You can see they really care about the audience and the storylines. Aren't that many shows like that anymore. Certainly none I can think of at the moment. (I thought that Transparent would be similar but it's total trash in my opinion and I absolutely loathed it after trying two or three episodes. Great concept but trashy scripts.)

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Saturday, October 14, 2017 - 8:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
Early in season 1, NBC optioned for at least two more seasons. That's gotta say something good about it.

Egbok

07-13-2000

Saturday, October 14, 2017 - 9:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Egbok a private message Print Post    
I love this show and I bet for many of us, there are certain little nuggets in the storylines that hit home with us....sometimes in good ways and sometimes in not so good ways.

This show really touches my heart, mind and soul.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, October 14, 2017 - 9:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Jimmer, what everyone said.. Start at the beginning of the series.

As Toby says "Team Kate, For EVAH!" .

TEAM THIS IS US!!