TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through October 06, 2017

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: The Good Doctor : Archive through October 06, 2017 users admin

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Wednesday, October 04, 2017 - 10:52 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
People with ASD can be very highly functioning (like my son) or very low functioning. It's a spectrum. I've met kids who were not verbal or who could only respond back by repeating whatever was said to them. It doesn't mean they're not smart, just that the mechanism that translates thought into speech in their brain is malfunctioning. Speaking is a lot more complicated than most of us realize. My son has difficulty translating his thoughts into words. He's really smart, but it takes him a lot longer to form his thoughts into sentences. When he was in school (we homeschool now, and he's a LOT happier), I would ask him every day what happened in school today, and he would always say, "Nothing." It wasn't until later at night, when he'd had time to process and figure out what he wanted to say, that he would tell me if anything had happened that upset him or made him sad.

OG, I don't think Autism itself causes seizures, but sometimes kids can have multiple health complications that can have other side affects, like seizures.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Wednesday, October 04, 2017 - 2:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
I was really looking forward to this show, but only lasted about 15 minutes into it before getting bored. I just could not get involved in the show. I'll try again though.

Spunky

10-07-2001

Wednesday, October 04, 2017 - 3:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Spunky a private message Print Post    
Let's just say that Dr. House would have been thrilled to have Shaun on his team. I'm still skeptical but I still find it interesting enough... for now. The other characters are not great ones, (at least not like those on House team, they were all very strong ones) and so the young autistic doctor definitely stands out even without his so-called 'savant syndrome'. I'm curious to see his first real surgery, which should happen soon.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Wednesday, October 04, 2017 - 4:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Babyjax, I haven't watched this episode yet, but that's the same kind of issue that I had with the first episode.

I don't have a problem with Dr. Shaun and what he can do. But I think they're wrecking the program by not setting it in otherwise believable situations.

I'm still miffed at the whole airport security scene and how somehow Dr. Shaun magically acquired all the things he needed to save the child, and so fast that not a single airport EMT showed up at the scene and with security in pursuit.

Legalboxer

11-17-2003

Wednesday, October 04, 2017 - 8:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Legalboxer a private message Print Post    
Thanks Babyjax ....I was going to say "physical" impairments do not equate with intellectual impairments. I can't speak for autism but I also know the educational supports someone is given or not given can impact their intellectual capacity. Yes some can have intellectual impairments along with physical problems, but as example, so many people with a speech disability who have mobility issues too are illiterate not because of their intelligence level but because no one gave them the proper learning environment.

As for the airport scene, it's a tv time zone :-) nothing on tv goes at a real life pace. :-)

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Wednesday, October 04, 2017 - 8:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Not all TV shows are that ridiculously false.

And my problem with it is that it makes it *all* seem improbable, including Dr. Murphy.

So, for me, it takes away from the premise of the show.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Thursday, October 05, 2017 - 7:16 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
It’s consistency that’s the problem. People say how can you watch shows with dragons and suspend disbelief over that but the dragons are consistent with that particular universe that the writer has created. Their behavior meets the expectations that have been created for them.

We also have expectations for a show that takes place in our present day world. Like EMT’s and security showing up. I can see how failing to meet those expectations may spoil the show for some viewers.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Thursday, October 05, 2017 - 7:33 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
I remember thinking that too where are the EMTs? But then I thought there'd be no show if we don't suspend disbelief apparently. So I tend to roll with it for me it's all about his experiences from his point of view. And I really like that female character she's awesome and very supportive and kind. But I get a kick out of it every time our hero tells that schmucki doctor that he's arrogant. It cracks me up I wish I was that blunt and straightforward with people who are a pain in my ass.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Thursday, October 05, 2017 - 3:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Well, I just assumed the security people helped him gather the necessary supplies as they brought him back to the kid. I remember thinking that the EMT's were probably on the way, and it was taking time to get through the traffic, it was SFO right?

Do airports have EMT's just hanging around or do they have to call them.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Thursday, October 05, 2017 - 4:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
The security officers didn't actually bring him back, did they? They chased him till he got back, and then the kid's mom explained the situation.

I may be remembering it wrong.

I can't speak for all airports, but larger ones generally have EMTs on site. I know Denver does.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Thursday, October 05, 2017 - 4:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
I can't remember now, Karuuna, LOL.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Thursday, October 05, 2017 - 4:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
We'll just have to assume that the EMTs were all busy with a dozen other folks in different areas of the airport were either giving birth, having heart attacks and/or allergic reactions at the same moment Doc Murphy was doing his thing. :-)

Dipo

04-23-2002

Thursday, October 05, 2017 - 5:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
LOL, works for me.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, October 05, 2017 - 6:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
So, second episode.. More soap opera good vs evil.. Like they doctor telling the arrogant surgeon it was his department, so he had better let Shaun do surgery, not relegate him to shut work.

Then the guy let's Shaun's mentor, the head of the hospital, know he really wants Shaun to fail, so he can take over.

If course I hate the guy who took credit for Shaun's idea.

But.. Shaun is a resident. Surely he did intern rotations and learned how hospitals run, and that you cannot order every procedure.

As for who gets in a cab and goes to be patient's home?

Someone on most any medical tv show.. definitely happened on er and on other shows.

Real life? Well, in real life, I took a patient for an mri. She had metastatic breast cancer and bone involvement.

Then she fell.

Her oncologist ordered a brain mri.

I took her home, walked her to the door, made sure she was steady.

A couple hours later (she told me this later), she was on the phone with her sister and there was pounding on her door!

It was her local police.

She didn't have call waiting..

Her oncologist got the scan results and tried to call.

The police related the message that she was to go to the hospital immediately.

Maybe that is more realistic, but her doctor found a way to makes things happen.

I still like Shaun, but I think in real life such a doctor might be assigned an aid, or life coach.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Thursday, October 05, 2017 - 6:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
"As for who gets in a cab and goes to be patient's home? "

On "House", Dr House sent his residents to his patients's homes practically every episode. His mantra was "Everybody lies" so they had to go to their homes (and usually break in!) in order to look for whatever the patient lied about.

I see so many similarities between this and House". I think Hollywood has just run out of original story ideas. Almost everything is just recycled with different characters and locales or just being re-made a couple of decades later but updating them and making the characters younger for Millennials.

Yes, I'm becoming more cynical every day.

The Good Doctor is basically an inverted version of House

https://www.avclub.com/the-good-doctor-is-basically-an-inverted-version-of-hou-1818600634

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, October 05, 2017 - 6:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Ah.. Well I only watched a random episode of House one time..

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Thursday, October 05, 2017 - 7:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Ok, when he is talking to security he tells them WHERE he is planning to get the other things (like the alcohol from the duty free shop), so clearly he hadn't gotten them yet.

But they do tackle him right him after, and that's when the mom comes and says he's trying to help my son. So they must have gone to get the other stuff with Shaun, when they get back to the boy, Shaun is carrying the whiskey and the guards are following meekly behind him.

But still... no EMTs after all that. Guess Sanfran was right. Lots of emergencies that day.

Legalboxer

11-17-2003

Thursday, October 05, 2017 - 8:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Legalboxer a private message Print Post    
He landed at San Jose international airport...I couldn't find any reference to EMTs on site but the fire department does provide the emergency services to the airport.

Texannie

07-15-2001

Friday, October 06, 2017 - 4:51 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
I am really enjoying this show and have no issue with whether or not its realistic. This is a tv show, not a documentary. LOL

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Friday, October 06, 2017 - 5:48 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
I am with it as long as all the science is correct. I don't give a fig if it is plausible. And I never missed an episode of House. Loved it!

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Friday, October 06, 2017 - 6:13 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I enjoyed House but one of the main reasons I enjoyed it was the characters were entertaining. Is this show similar in that respect?

(I wasn’t planning to watch this but after all this discussion, I may have a look. )

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Friday, October 06, 2017 - 8:30 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
Jimmer, I do think that they could have done a better job on the casting of a couple of the leads. But I do like the actor who plays the doctor who hired Sean.

Jenjackso

02-10-2009

Friday, October 06, 2017 - 10:12 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jenjackso a private message Print Post    
Okay, so this is fun. I landed in the San Jose airport earlier this year. I was walking towards baggage and an elderly woman took a fall up ahead. I stopped to help her. A gentleman picked her up (probably shouldn't have) and put her in a chair. The airport EMT was there within 10 minutes. 6 firemen and 4 EMT's and they were hot! I digress. So, I stayed with her until they had her information and had her loaded on the gurney for transport. She wrote me a couple of months ago about all of the broken bones she had. So, San Jose has onsite EMT.

As for the show, I love it and we laughed quite a bit which is a nice touch. We will continue to watch it and see it for what it is.

Jenjackso

02-10-2009

Friday, October 06, 2017 - 10:13 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jenjackso a private message Print Post    
On the west coast, EMT and Fire are the same departments. That was new for us when we moved out here.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Friday, October 06, 2017 - 1:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Hahaahahahaha, now that we have that all worked out on to the next episode.

Thanks Jenjackso, I used to fly out of San Jose all the time when I lived down there, loved that airport.