TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through September 25, 2017

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: The Orville: Archive through September 25, 2017 users admin

Dipo

04-23-2002

Sunday, September 17, 2017 - 6:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
It's on again tonight....

Hysterical how everyone on this ship drink and use drugs, LOL.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Sunday, September 17, 2017 - 7:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Another great show, and now it is moving to Thursdays.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Monday, September 18, 2017 - 10:50 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
I lasted about 45 minutes and checked out. I was a huge Star Trek fan when I was a kid. This show is a total ripoff of Star Trek and it's not even funny. I know it's supposed to be an homage, but it doesn't bring anything to the story. I found it flat. Meh.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Monday, September 18, 2017 - 11:47 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I haven't seen the second episode yet but I found the first to be rather uneven and oddly uncomfortable. The trailer and the individual comedic aspects were funny but it didn't hold together well as a whole. There didn't seem to be much flow.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Monday, September 18, 2017 - 1:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Well I enjoyed it and love the similarities to Star Trek. I can only see it getting better as they settle in.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Monday, September 18, 2017 - 1:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Well I'm certainly going to give it a chance. :-)

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Tuesday, September 19, 2017 - 4:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
I'm loving this show....but I'm not taking it anymore seriously than I take the Original Star Trek. Of all the Star Trek series so far, TNG and Voyager were my favorites. The Orville feels like kind of a cross between TNG and the Original Star Trek to me.

Ep 2 - of course I assumed it was a zoo when they realized they couldn't get out of their old apartment. It was very reminiscent of the old Twilight Zone episode called "People Are Alike All Over" with Roddy McDowell. There was also a similar episode on ST Voyager when different aliens were put in different environments and the Voyager crew figured out how to get from one environment (theirs) to another (ice age type climate).

I think when I watch The Orville, I just watch it like I watched the original ST as a 15 year old kid....eyes wide open and a big smile on my face. It's not a show that I analyze as I'm watching it...I'm just enjoying it like I do with reruns of the other G-Rated Star Treks that pop up on TV all the time. (I don't know how many times I've accidentally channel flipped to a ST rerun and wound up watching the rest of the episode. They're like seeing old friends. :-))

I only start analyzing The Orville when I'm posting about it....it's just fun to watch. Blotus hatching his egg was hysterical...and the big surprise ending that these two men (from an all male species) had a baby girl...was great!!

The Orville is just a fun romp for me...I hope it lasts for years.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Tuesday, September 19, 2017 - 4:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
I can't get over how much it's like Star Trek... I just don't understand how it's not copyrighted! The sets, the uniforms, the way the doors open, it's all so strange seeing it on a different show. I don't know if there never was anything like a copyright, or if it's expired now TNG is 30 (gulp!) years old, but it just looks so much like someone should sue!

Dipo

04-23-2002

Tuesday, September 19, 2017 - 4:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Hahahahaha, Sanfranjoshfan, that was funny when they had a girl, LOL.

Pamy

01-01-2002

Tuesday, September 19, 2017 - 7:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
I love Seth. I have never watched any of the Star Wars movies/Star Trek eps so inside jokes will be lost on me but i am enjoying it

Dr Arnie from ER, he will always come off as an ass to me

Roteach

06-01-2003

Wednesday, September 20, 2017 - 5:42 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roteach a private message Print Post    
I remember Scott Grimes as a little kid from Massachusetts who sang on a local talent show called Community Auditions. It's been nice to see his growth as an actor over all these years.

I am loving the show also. I love the ship. Those corridors are expansive and the cabins and the captain's office are luxurious.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Wednesday, September 20, 2017 - 9:44 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I fell asleep almost immediately during Orville.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Wednesday, September 20, 2017 - 10:40 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
"I can't get over how much it's like Star Trek... I just don't understand how it's not copyrighted!"

I hope that never becomes a legal issue. I'd hate to lose this show. Here's an interesting take on what this show was meant to be:

The Orville / 8 Aug 2017
Seth MacFarlane's The Orville Isn't a Star Trek Parody, but a Love Letter

"Upon first viewing of the trailer for FOX's new Seth MacFarlane series, The Orville, it might be easy to assume this is a straight Star Trek parody. But The Orville is actually a far cry from Family Guy, much closer to being Star Trek itself than any sort of parody.

For MacFarlane, a self-professed sci-fi nerd, that homage was intentional. With the rise of dystopian science fiction over the years, MacFarlane wanted to create something that was more of a return in the style and tone to the sci-fi shows he loved from the '90s and earlier, something he thinks is missing from the current television landscape.

"What's happened is it's left open a space that has been relatively unoccupied for a while in the genre. ... For me, it's a space that's kind of waiting to be filled in this day and age when we're getting a lot of dystopian science fiction," he said at the 2017 summer TV Critics' Association press tour. "This is sort of an attempt to fill that void in that genre.""

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/08/09/seth-macfarlanes-the-orville-isnt-a-star-trek-parody-but-a-love-letter

---------

One thing is true...most sci-fi today seems to be about some kind of dystopian future....The Orville, like the original ST is built around hope and exploration but with more of a comedy twist to it.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Thursday, September 21, 2017 - 5:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
New Show Tonight at 9pm!!!!

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Friday, September 22, 2017 - 7:07 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I liked the second show a lot more than the first. I’m not sure which order they were filmed but the cast seemed to relate better and the writing seemed less forced. I enjoyed it.

I also like that it’s not about some sort of depressing, desperate, dystopian future. On that note, it will be interesting to see the new Star Trek series as well.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Friday, September 22, 2017 - 9:24 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
It was a good episode. And I liked that they didn't choose the easy option and have them win at the end.

For Walking Dead fans, did you notice that Chad L Coleman (Tyreese) is Klyden (Bortus's husband)? I saw his name in the credits but had to look up who he was, even then I could only just hear him in the voice he used.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Friday, September 22, 2017 - 7:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
I just watched episode 3. It took me until now to realize that his name was actually "Bortus"....I must've misheard it because I've been thinking of and referring to him as "Blotus"!

I'd read that they'd have topical issues and this was an interesting one. This kind of controversial gender issue being presented in our current political climate, it kind of reminded me of the ST (Original) episode with Frank Gorshin, IIRC, about a an alien war. It was the one where the aliens whose skin was white on the left and black on the right were at war with the ones that were black on the left and white on the right....because their had the "wrong" color on the "wrong" side.

This just gets better every episode. So light and non-dystopian...it's like a breath of fresh air instead of a severe lack of oxygen. Even when they highlight serious issues, it doesn't feel too heavy handed or depressing....even though, IMO, it had a negative outcome....but who knows how this will eventually work out since the baby is remaining on the ship. I'm wondering if it will grow up really quickly (like so many Sc-fi shows that have had an alien or supernatural baby...)

It was nice having 2 episodes this week...wish there were two every week!

Nice catch, Kitt. No, I didn't realize that was Tyrese at all! Thanks!

Dipo

04-23-2002

Friday, September 22, 2017 - 7:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Hahahahaha, a few comments.

"The tale of Ruldoph", hahahahaha.

"He just left his baby with 2 drunk dudes.....reminds me of my Dad"

"We have board games....Scrabble, Candyland, Monopoly"

"What was the capital of the United States?....Nabisco (hahahahahahaha), the Moon."

I was laughing so much, here and there, cracked me up. I too was sorry about the baby not "winning", but I thought the storyline was very good.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Saturday, September 23, 2017 - 6:18 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Nabisco. Gives me the giggles every time I think about it.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Saturday, September 23, 2017 - 7:39 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
While I didn't care for the first episode much, I really, really enjoyed EPS 2 and 3.

Pamy

01-01-2002

Sunday, September 24, 2017 - 4:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
i just got the feeling that the baby didnt really have the surgery, I could be wrong

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Monday, September 25, 2017 - 1:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Penny that crossed my mind too but I think it's just wishful thinking. It'll be interesting to find out if we're right.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Monday, September 25, 2017 - 4:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Oops Pamy not Penny. Typo.

Pamy

01-01-2002

Monday, September 25, 2017 - 5:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
LOL Meme!

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Monday, September 25, 2017 - 8:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
;)