TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through October 04, 2017

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: The Good Doctor : Archive through October 04, 2017 users admin

Dipo

04-23-2002

Monday, September 25, 2017 - 11:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Ok, I liked it alot, but has anyone else noticed that some shows seem to cut off sort of abruptly these days? Maybe it's just my cable provider.

Texannie

07-15-2001

Tuesday, September 26, 2017 - 4:49 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
i really enjoyed it too.
Dipo, i didn't notice that.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Tuesday, September 26, 2017 - 8:50 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Dipo, I noticed too, the ending seemed particularly odd.

I liked it, but I found it a little unbelievable at points. And some of the writing was not that great.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Tuesday, September 26, 2017 - 9:19 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I really liked it. My husband, who never watches shows, watched it with me and liked it. Freddie Highmore is an incredible young actor. Love him.

I don't need everything to be believable. I tend to put that on the side burner while watching a tv show. There is enough in the real world to need some escapism.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Tuesday, September 26, 2017 - 12:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
LOL, Mamie, I suspend reality a lot for most TV shows and movies.

That's why sometimes you will see me asking if "that is a thing in RL", I never know what to believe is real anymore.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Tuesday, September 26, 2017 - 1:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
I don't mind suspending belief, I love Scorpion.

I just didn't think THIS show would fall so far over that line. Like I said, I'll keep watching. I found some of the kind of superficial dialog more frustrating. :-)

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Tuesday, September 26, 2017 - 2:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
I loved it. But since I recorded it I had to stop every few minutes to decompress. I was so stress out by the situations. Can't wait till next week.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Tuesday, September 26, 2017 - 5:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Luved it. Am hooked. :-)

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, September 26, 2017 - 7:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I loved a couple of characters, but so many arrogant ones.

I will watch again and see if I really want to sit and hate so much, while liking a couple very much.

You have to suspend belief for most shows (even reality).

Spunky

10-07-2001

Wednesday, September 27, 2017 - 6:05 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Spunky a private message Print Post    
I agree that this show is really pushing its boundaries, we know it's far fetched, would never never happen in real life, etc. but I watch knowing all that, just out of curiosity but I don't think this show will have a long life, the music is irritating, makes it even more fake than it is, and it would take one smallest mistake for starting a legal nightmare. So, this young autistic doctor will have to perform miracles every time they let him do what he does to avoid legal consequences. But in the end it will be this outrageous unrealism that will kill the show.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Wednesday, September 27, 2017 - 9:07 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
I don't know, Scorpion has done quite well with outrageous unrealism. It's in its fourth year I think.

Unfortunately, they have positioned the shows opposite each other, so one will likely lose out.

Jenjackso

02-10-2009

Wednesday, September 27, 2017 - 2:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jenjackso a private message Print Post    
Ratings were good, 2.2 after DWTS was 1.4, so it seems people specifically came over to watch it.

Girls in the house all loved it and can't wait for the next one. Guys didn't join us to watch it, their loss...

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Thursday, September 28, 2017 - 9:11 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
I am pretty sure all the science is possible if not plausible.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Thursday, September 28, 2017 - 11:46 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
From what I understand, the creator of "The Good Doctor" was also the creator of "House".

It's a formula show...a hospital with a brilliant doctor who is an "outsider", meaning he has social/personality issues that keep him from developing normal relationships with others.

It worked for House so I expect it will work for TGD because the doctor on TGD is much more likeable than House ever was.

Then again, with SO many channels and SO many new shows, it will depend on whether the majority of viewers will tune to yet another a formula show over something more original.

I watched it and I thought it was okay for what it was but it was completely predictable so I kind of felt like I'd already seen it. I do like Freddie Highmore...he was great in Bates Motel where he played a guy with...uh....social/personality issues that kept him from...ummm.... developing normal relationships with others.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Thursday, September 28, 2017 - 1:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
To be clear, it wasn't the medical stuff I found unbelievable. It was more the situations and how the people behaved.

Like Dr. Murphy & airport security. And the fact that he got the knife, the tubing and the whiskey, and still no EMTs had shown up at the scene.

And did he buy the other stuff BEFORE he went to get the knife? Because he didn't seem to be carrying them when he asked for the knife.

And if he went to get them after, did security wait while he got the other items before they chased him down?

Sorry, I can over think things sometimes.

But like I said, I'll keep watching, but that was the kind of thing that I didn't like so much.

Legalboxer

11-17-2003

Thursday, September 28, 2017 - 9:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Legalboxer a private message Print Post    
Real question - spunky what exactly do you think could never happen?

If I interpret your comments correctly, are you saying a person with autism could never be a surgeon? If that is your message, I have to disagree. Him operating every day would be no more of a miracle each time then any other doctor doing the same thing. Every doctor is at risk of making one fatal mistake, even at the simplist of procedures. No two people with autism are the same just as no two people without autism are the same. (Intellectually, personality, etc)

As a kid, I had an operation on my ankle by a female doctor born without two hands. Much better scar then the first operation I had with a two handed surgeon. :-)

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, September 29, 2017 - 12:42 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Legal, I recently watched a show that featured doctors with supposedly impossible challenges.. And I forget.. Frontline? 20/20? 60 Minutes?

Anyway there was a blind doctor, a paraplegic surgeon.. He had a special chair that allowed him to stand.

Trying to remember the others, but they had all become successful and valued.

I never watched House or Scorpion.

Chicago Med has an autistic surgeon and they have done a good job of having him evolve and begin to understand that the people he deals with experience things differently than he does. He has worked to accommodate them and it has been a good story line. His colleagues have gone from seeing him as cold, quirky and sometimes unlikable to appreciating him.

Anyway I was more turned off by the soap opera vibe In that hospital. I can only hope they soften that before I stop watching.

I like the main character and seeing his mind at work.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Tuesday, October 03, 2017 - 2:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Michael Ausiello‏Verified account @MichaelAusiello 2m2 minutes ago
More
#TheGoodDoctor Snags Full-Season Order at ABC http://tvline.com/2017/10/03/the-good-doctor-full-season-1-order-22-episodes-abc/ … via @TVLine

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Tuesday, October 03, 2017 - 2:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
i had a doctor (little person doctor?) with dwarfism, she had a special stand built so she could examine patients, she was one of the best doctors I ever had. But insurance had me change again.
I read an article maybe 30 years ago abut a doctor with autism, maybe today it would be called asbergers. anyway, she said she invented a hug machine to calm her down when stressed. She said working in a hospital was very stressful and she could not do it, her internship was one of the worst times in her life, but private practice suited her.
I did not know much about autism then, but had a co worker with 2 autistic children/almost adults. She was looking for a home for them because they had become too violent for her and the aides to handle. I think they were at the worst end of autism.

Roteach

06-01-2003

Tuesday, October 03, 2017 - 3:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roteach a private message Print Post    
Sadiesmom, you could be speaking of Doctor Temple Grandin. With some people with Aspberger's Syndrome as with other people in general, deep pressure is a calming feeling. They make weighted blankets and weighted vests to apply the pressure. I had a student who didn't have any of these weighted things so her teachers improvised. They put her backpack on front to back and weighted it with books. It worked. You are so right in saying that your co-workers children's were at one spot on the spectrum. I can see where their behaviors may have been too much for her to handle. I hope they found a good placement that allowed them to grow and function to their best potential.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Tuesday, October 03, 2017 - 7:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Another good show! I like how he is trying to understand concepts and it is fun to see how they explain some things to him.

Makes you think maybe we don't need some of those things, like sarcasm, instead of telling the truth.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Tuesday, October 03, 2017 - 8:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
As the mother of a teenager with ASD (Autism Syndrome Disorder), I can say that if you know one person with Autism, you know one person with Autism. Everybody is different.

I think some of the situations in this show are far-fetched. Who would take a taxi to someone's house at 1:00 am in the morning, bring a little girl to the hospital, perform surgery--and then a couple of hours later, everyone is still there? Does no one go home to sleep? And when did he have time to buy furniture? It just seems very unbelievable to me.

Hubby likes this show. I'm still on the fence.

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Wednesday, October 04, 2017 - 5:19 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
I'm caught hook, line and sinker. I hope it has a long run,

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Wednesday, October 04, 2017 - 9:00 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
thanks Roteach, it looks like her, but I thought it was a people physician all these years.
You are correct about kids with most issues. Makes me wonder if this show will jut muddy the waters yet again where some people may end up believing autism makes people savants. I have met people on different spots on the spectrum from my childhood neighbor's kids who could not talk and could barely walk to a friend's son who is in college. The charity I volunteer with is aligned with Autism Speaks.

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Wednesday, October 04, 2017 - 9:07 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
I have a dear friend whose 11 year grandson is autistic with serious seizure activity. Are autistic people prone to both conditions?