TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through September 26, 2017

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: Star Trek: Discovery: Archive through September 26, 2017 users admin

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Sunday, September 24, 2017 - 10:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I think it is incredibly good. The special effects are beautiful, the characters are appealing and the plot is interesting. I'm astonished that they are putting this level of effort into a show that will only be available in the U.S. over the Internet.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Monday, September 25, 2017 - 12:18 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
"a show that will only be available in the U.S. over the Internet."

Jimmer, it's available in the UK on Netflix.

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2017-09-25/star-trek-discovery-netflix-release-date-cast-plot/

Strategist

07-01-2014

Monday, September 25, 2017 - 6:23 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Strategist a private message Print Post    
Loved the first show. Can't wait to watch the second show (recorded it for this evening). Love the diversity of the cast. It really speaks to our multi-cultural environment today.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Monday, September 25, 2017 - 6:27 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I wasn’t very clear with how I phrased my most recent post. I meant that CBS is expecting Americans to subscribe to watch it online. Other places (like Canada and the UK) have other ways to watch.

I will say again that it definitely exceeded my expectations.

Jasper

09-14-2000

Monday, September 25, 2017 - 6:28 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jasper a private message Print Post    
I think he meant for a huge population its only on all access, while in Canada it's on regular TV stations, 2 actually.

Jasper

09-14-2000

Monday, September 25, 2017 - 6:29 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jasper a private message Print Post    
Snap!

I'll be watching tonigh.

Roteach

06-01-2003

Monday, September 25, 2017 - 6:29 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roteach a private message Print Post    
I watched both episodes and saw most of the After Trek show. Glad I kept my All Access. Loved both episodes. I have to get used to the look of the Klingons.

Rissa

03-19-2006

Monday, September 25, 2017 - 8:04 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
Really enjoyed the premiere but the second episode was such a continuation of the first, I can imagine it would not have been near as satisfying if you didn't watch them together. It seems they are paying homage to the very first Star Trek episodes where they reset the whole show with new/regular cast not showing up immediately (referring to Captain Pike). Episode three will be when the USS Discovery makes it appearance and we will see the show's regular cast (with Michael of course). Massive Jason Isaacs fan (Case Histories!) so can't wait.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Monday, September 25, 2017 - 8:14 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Yes it's a cool approach. Of course, while the Discovery is (apparently) making its appearance in episode 3, important characters introduced in the first two episodes will have ongoing roles (much like in the original series).

Kitt

09-05-2000

Monday, September 25, 2017 - 10:43 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
That's a pretty picture at the top of the thread!

I am disturbed that the Klingons weren't (physically) as they should be. We have so many versions of them now, they could have at least stuck to one of the previous looks.

But other than that I really enjoyed episode one, and would be keen to see the rest, if I didn't have to pay.

So I might watch episode two online if it pops up on the usual places, just to finish the arc, but the rest will have to wait until it's actually on CBS, or comes to Netflix or something. Looks like the series is eight episodes now and seven after January, so I wonder if they will show it on CBS as a summer series.

Strategist

07-01-2014

Monday, September 25, 2017 - 10:49 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Strategist a private message Print Post    
Ahhh. So cool. I need me some Star Trek.

If you are a Trekker (Trekker), "resistance is futile" "live long and prosper"and "There is no honor without unity. There is no home for any of us, unless it is shared by all."

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Monday, September 25, 2017 - 10:57 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
"I wasn’t very clear with how I phrased my most recent post."

Aha. I get it now...It was just how I interpreted the phrasing. Sorta like if someone says "My wife entered the room with a dog wearing my pajamas". :-)

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Monday, September 25, 2017 - 11:56 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Hey! Now you're just picking on my phrasing.

Obviously, the idea of all of these individual pay networks is bigger than this one show but it demonstrates the direction that television is taking. People are "cutting the cable" but they end up paying anyway for things like HBO and Netflix (uh ... unless they steal it).

Dipo

04-23-2002

Monday, September 25, 2017 - 12:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
TrekMovie.com‏ @TrekMovie 2h2 hours ago
More
#StarTrekDiscovery debuts to 8 million, record #CBSAA signups, gets critical praise.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Monday, September 25, 2017 - 12:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Well, if I have to pay, I'll wait until all the episodes are online, sign up for a 7 day free trial. Binge watch. Cancel. :-)

Karuuna, I like the way you think!

Love the diversity of the cast. It really speaks to our multi-cultural environment today.

Star Trek was always very diverse, even back in the 60s. It was a very progressive show for its time, and every episode had a cultural message.

Spunky

10-07-2001

Monday, September 25, 2017 - 3:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Spunky a private message Print Post    
The first episode aired on a regular local tv channel (Canada), well, you need cable for that too, so I don't understand why some can only see this online.

The special effects were pretty good but I'm afraid they always put a lot of effort for the first episode and then they become boring. Hopefully they'll stay good, especially now that they can do a lot with hologram technology, you can insert a lot of great Star Trek characters.

I'm a bit tired of the Klingons, isn't there any other bad guy out there in this big universe?

I liked the captain "we will not attack first", something like that is happening right here on earth. So imagine that happening on a larger scale, well, it's never too large for this big universe. Whatever happened to 'discovery', if it's going to be again war with the Klingons, a bit boring. I wanted the 'discovery' part to be a new spin... or closer to the original star trek.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Monday, September 25, 2017 - 3:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
hahahahahahahaha, this is great....

Worf Email‏ @WorfEmail 3h3 hours ago
More
All crew,

My position is Security Chief, not Klingon Ambassador. I will not answer questions about how my people used to look.

Worf

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Monday, September 25, 2017 - 4:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
The first episode aired on a regular local tv channel (Canada), well, you need cable for that too, so I don't understand why some can only see this online.

In the United States, the first episode aired on a broadcast channel also. It is the ONLY episode that will air on broadcast, unfortunately. The rest will only be available online and if you purchase the CBS All Access pass at $5.99/month.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Monday, September 25, 2017 - 4:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Star Trek: Discovery‏Verified account @startrekcbs 8h8 hours ago
More
#StarTrekDiscovery stars weigh in on THAT pivotal moment from the first episode. SPOILER WARNING: http://bit.ly/2huAZM4

Spunky

10-07-2001

Monday, September 25, 2017 - 4:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Spunky a private message Print Post    
Oh, I see, it's not coming back next week. However, some channels (like Bravo that aired the Handmaid's Tale, and also Showcase) will pick it up sometime in the future.

For now I won't miss it too much.

Strategist

07-01-2014

Monday, September 25, 2017 - 8:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Strategist a private message Print Post    
You can get it on Crave TV in Canada, but I think that's the same setup as the US. Let us watch two episodes on TV and then force us to purchase the rest.

Strategist

07-01-2014

Monday, September 25, 2017 - 8:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Strategist a private message Print Post    
Oh. I also found it on SPACE channel in Canada. So, maybe we will get to see the whole season in weekly segments.

Wargod

07-16-2001

Monday, September 25, 2017 - 9:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wargod a private message Print Post    
I watched some clips earlier, can't wait til we have more time to watch a full episode.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Tuesday, September 26, 2017 - 6:07 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Yes we get to see the whole season on TV in Canada. :-)

Jeep

10-17-2001

Tuesday, September 26, 2017 - 10:13 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jeep a private message Print Post    
Well, it's a bummer that I don't get to watch the whole thing on regular TV. I think I pay way too much for cable now and am not paying more for one show.

That said, I watched the second show that was on TV and really liked it. I've been a Star Trek fan since I was a kid and still remember my Mom saying how "silly" all that stuff was! LOL

I loved the special effects, my most favorite part in sifi shows. The story line was good too.

But.....isn't this supposed to be 10 years before Kirk & Spock & Enterprise? And they have a female captain & first officer, where the only female officer on the Enterprise was Uhura at communications? Hard to put that in perspective. I thought both ladies were excellent, but it just doesn't fit the time line.

And the Klingons! I didn't recognize them as Klingons at first. The language gave it away for me. They looked like they were made of metal and they had Ferengi teeth! All pointy!

So, I didn't get to see the 2nd part since I don't have All Access. Maybe someday they will wise up and put a good show on CBS regualar TV......maybe.