TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Star Trek: Discovery

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: Star Trek: Discovery users admin

StarTrekDiscovery

Star Trek: Discovery (on CBS)
New Episodes Sundays 8:30pm ET / 5:30pm PT
Star Trek: Discovery (on Space in Canada)
New Episodes Sundays 8:00pm ET / 5:00pm PT

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through September 24, 2017Vsmart25 09-24-17  9:29 pm
Archive through September 26, 2017Jeep25 09-26-17  10:13 am
Archive through October 02, 2017Missyb25 10-02-17  8:51 am
Archive through January 09, 2018Mizinvanccouver25 01-09-18  7:56 am
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Tuesday, January 09, 2018 - 1:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
"I felt for the old captain when he was in the torture chamber."

That was Captain Lorca, right? I was wondering if that was "our" Lorca or his alternate universe version.

If it's "our" captain then the alt-verse Discovery crew are doing this against their new captain's (Burnham's) orders. If it's the alt-verse captain in that torture chamber, then they know Burnham is lying to them because they know the Lorca that Burnham brought over has to be some kind of duplicate.

This alternate universe scenario makes me suspect every single character!

When it comes to Ash (the guy who was changed somehow) I think we can be pretty sure he was changed before their arrival in the alt-verse because he and his captor/torturer were already onboard the Discovery before they wound up in the alt-verse. There have already been a few hints that there's something wrong with Ash. I was surprised that Lorca gave him a leadership role immediately after rescuing him from captivity by the Klingons. Ash seemed a little distracted and/or PTSD-ish to me. His history of Klingon captivity/torture should've been a red flag to, at the very least, keep him under observation and not put him in a leadership role from the get-go.

I'm focused on all these possible duplicate character scenarios because they made it point to mention that they could all have alternate versions of themselves in this alt-verse....when a show points out something like that it usually turns out to be true. So far, the only duplicates we've seen have been characters whose duplicates are dead. Burnham was supposedly dead in the alt-verse and that guy she was forced to kill on the elevator on the alt-Discovery was dead in "our" universe.

I'm waiting for a pair of dupes to come face to face. If/when it happens, I hope it's Sylvia! Seeing "our" sweet "Captain" Sylvia confronting her vicious Amazon warrior duplicate could be fun! I think "our" Sylvia will rise to the occasion. :-)

Dipo

04-23-2002

Monday, February 05, 2018 - 1:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
EvelDickVerified account@EvelDick
54s54 seconds ago
More
Get your video mailbag questions in for tonight's Alpha Quadrant webcast where we are talking #StarTrekDiscovery
Go to http://TheAlphaQuadrant.com or make a YouTube video & send the link to TheAlphaQuadrant.com@gmail.com
@GarrettRWang @AronEisenberg @TheAlphaQuadrnt @Jarrod_Cooper

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Thursday, September 24, 2020 - 7:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
This is starting tonight on CBS, (not just all access).

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Friday, September 25, 2020 - 7:46 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Interesting that CBS decided to run it as a regular show. They may be hurting for new material with the COVID situation.

Although I've watched them, I find the new Star Trek shows to be too dark both literally and figuratively. I miss the brightness and hope of the original series and The Next Generation.

The new shows remind me too much of the future depicted in the Alien movies. I've always thought that the Alien would have had a much harder time on The Next Generation, Enterprise. No where to hide in all those bright corridors and open spaces.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Friday, September 25, 2020 - 7:53 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
They are short on content, so that is why they decided to run it.

I like The Orville, but that's going to Hulu (I think) and will no longer be broadcast. Darn it.

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Friday, September 25, 2020 - 8:05 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I like The Orville too. The Orville is a bit goofy but it's much more like Next Gen than the new Star Trek.

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Friday, September 25, 2020 - 6:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
I find symbolism in shows difficult to get. I guess I am a shallow person. I taped discovery because I am to cheap to have another pay channel until I get every thing in life and my house fixed. Like get a faster better internet set up.

Any way it is odd that as a shallow person I was most drawn to deep space nine and it's religious mythology.

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Saturday, September 26, 2020 - 4:16 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
I'm watching DS9 now. It has the best writing of any of the ST series.

Strategist

07-01-2014

Saturday, September 26, 2020 - 11:31 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Strategist a private message Print Post    
I've watched all the series and The Next Generation is 100% my favorite. That series is so positive and life affirming. I love the Prime Directive and how they always try their best to comply.

Strategist

07-01-2014

Saturday, September 26, 2020 - 11:32 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Strategist a private message Print Post    
I love the funny quirkiness of The Orville as well. There is going to be a season 3, but that is expected to be the last one.

Strategist

07-01-2014

Saturday, September 26, 2020 - 11:33 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Strategist a private message Print Post    
The Orville is being aired on City TV in Canada.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Sunday, September 27, 2020 - 11:22 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Loved TNG tons, but was more deeply invested in DS9. Still much prefer The Orville to the much darker and (to me, anyways) convoluted storyline of Discovery. But looking forward to what they have in store for us since they've cut the Canon umbilical cord.

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Sunday, September 27, 2020 - 11:52 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I could never visualize Discovery as being in the original series time-frame. The special effects are substantially different (not surprisingly) but that wasn't it. It was that the attitude of the crew and Starfleet in general was so different. The original series always felt like a good future for humans and Discovery seems so dark and bleak. If they showed happy cheerful moments they were few and far between.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Sunday, December 20, 2020 - 6:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Hey, I just started watching this show (late to the party!). I'm three episodes in and Michael is telling her roommate that she was raised on Vulcan with a human woman who would read "Alice in Wonderland" to her and the woman's son every night. She said she and the woman were the only humans on the planet, and the woman's name was Amanda. I instantly got goosebumps that ran from the top of my head, down my back and all the way to my toes! Michael grew up with little Spock!!! Oh my god! Oh my god! Oh my god!!!

So far I love this show. Will have to start from the beginning of this thread, but I just wanted to share my reaction with people who would understand what I'm saying.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Sunday, December 20, 2020 - 8:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
:-) :-) :-)

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Monday, December 21, 2020 - 9:45 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
As a true Trekkie I have been watching Discovery since the beginning, but truthfully I only started really loving it this season.
(Previously I just found it way too confusing, and too violent for my taste.) Anyhow, glad I stuck with it.

Rissa

03-19-2006

Monday, December 21, 2020 - 12:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
Mame, I am with you!! I watched the first two seasons and was tiring a bit. Too dark and I prefer shows with stand alone episodes, not season long archs. Season 3 though is much more enjoyable. More adventure, humour. I am LOVING the theme music change. Time travel was exactly the right decision.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Monday, December 21, 2020 - 1:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
I watched the first few episodes of Picard, but just couldn't get into it. I'm glad I switched over to this! Can't wait to go back and see what you all thought.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Tuesday, December 22, 2020 - 3:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Wait??? Harry Mudd?! "Harcourt Fenton Mudd . . ." Omg, I'm 12 years old again!

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Tuesday, December 22, 2020 - 5:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
"I watched the first few episodes of Picard"

Did you quit before Picard got a spaceship and took off with Seven of Nine? They had some great eps and lots of space action and new characters.

The first few eps were mostly character driven but it wound up as an action series like previous Star Treks.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Wednesday, December 23, 2020 - 1:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
If you think it's worth it, SFJF, maybe I'll go back to it. I love Picard. I didn't watch all of TNG, cause it was back when I wasn't recording anything, so it was kind of hit or miss. I've heard of Seven of Nine (and have seen her in other things), but don't really know how she fits into the story. So much Star Trek, so little time!!!

PS. My brother and I used to watch the original ST on Friday nights back in the 60s. Then we watched most of the episodes when they used to run them after school after it was canceled. We even went to a ST Convention in Santa Rosa, CA, back in the early 90s. It was hilarious and he bought me a pair of USS Enterprise earrings. Such a great show!

PPS. I briefly dated a guy in the 90s who worked for Industrial Light and Magic, when I lived in Marin County. He had a credit in one of the ST movies. Very exciting!

Strategist

07-01-2014

Wednesday, December 23, 2020 - 1:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Strategist a private message Print Post    
Mameblanche and Rissa we must be sisters from another mother!
I found the first two seasons of Discovery a bit too dark, but Season 3 was really good!

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Wednesday, December 23, 2020 - 5:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    

The Canuck Cyber-Sisters:
Rissa, MameB, & Stratty. ;)

How is this on topic? We're lucky to be in Ontario where Discovery is filmed. ;)

Rissa

03-19-2006

Wednesday, December 23, 2020 - 6:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
Love it Mame! !!

Strategist

07-01-2014

Wednesday, December 23, 2020 - 7:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Strategist a private message Print Post    

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Sunday, January 03, 2021 - 5:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Just watched the finale of Season 1 this afternoon. They did it again! I got goosebumps from head to toe when I saw the USS Enterprise pull up in front of the Discovery! Takes me right back to my childhood! Also all those Star Trek movies I watched over the years. I'll admit this show is dark, but I'm enjoying it. Can't wait to dip into the second season!

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Sunday, January 03, 2021 - 5:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
BJM the season finale is this coming Thursday Jan 7th.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Monday, January 04, 2021 - 11:35 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Mameblanche, I'm only on Season 2 now, but I'll get there.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Monday, January 04, 2021 - 2:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
BJM I hated the first season. Disliked the 2nd season. But am really enjoying this season. :-)

Mizinvanccouver

02-21-2003

Saturday, January 16, 2021 - 2:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mizinvanccouver a private message Print Post    
Love his show, sad we have to wait another year for the next season.

Strategist

07-01-2014

Saturday, January 16, 2021 - 6:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Strategist a private message Print Post    
That was such a fulfilling ending! Can's wait for the next season.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Monday, January 18, 2021 - 12:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Finished Season 2 yesterday. I'm really loving this show. It reminds me so much of the old days of Star Trek, when I was a kid. I love Captain Pike. Now I have to go back and watch "The Cage," cause it was a million years ago and I barely remember it. Not sure I even ever saw the whole episode.

May start Season 3 today. Yay!

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Monday, January 18, 2021 - 1:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I like the Pike character. They did a good job with him.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Register Now
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: