TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
The Orville

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: The Orville users admin

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through September 25, 2017Mameblanche25 09-25-17  8:15 pm
Archive through November 03, 2017Jimmer25 11-03-17  7:55 am
Archive through October 28, 2018Sanfranjoshfan25 10-28-18  9:21 pm
Archive through March 22, 2019Dipo25 03-22-19  2:47 pm
Archive through June 15, 2022Kitt25 06-15-22  9:18 am
Archive through July 07, 2022Strategist25 07-07-22  6:58 am
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Strategist

07-01-2014

Thursday, July 07, 2022 - 6:59 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Strategist a private message Print Post    
Jimmer, I think you'll love Twice in a Lifetime (time travel.)

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Thursday, July 07, 2022 - 8:37 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Oh I'm really looking forward to watching it now!!!

Vancouvergirl

06-18-2022

Saturday, July 09, 2022 - 7:04 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Vancouvergirl a private message Print Post    
Finished watching the most recent Orville last night! It had some really good funny moments and the plot was interesting. I hope next week has just as many of not more funny moments.

Mizinvanccouver

02-21-2003

Saturday, July 09, 2022 - 7:27 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mizinvanccouver a private message Print Post    
Yes! Was a good episode! I liked how the Robot (too early, not enough coffee yet to remember his name) was made to look human. Vancouvergirl and I looked up the actor and we think that is actually the same actor in the suit. Must have been nice for him to be out of the suit for a change. We looked because he sounded and his mannerisms were so bang on with the Robot.
The space scnenes (even on a 31" tv) were remarkable and crisp!

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Saturday, July 09, 2022 - 1:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
Mizinvancouver, Issac (sp?) is the Orville robot.

And in a previous episode (I don't remember if it was season 1 or season 2) Isaac humanized himself in the holodeck when he was dating Claire, the doctor. That was because she felt more comfortable with him that way and also because he could then "do stuff" with her on the third date. <bow-chika-wow-wow> :-)

At the time, I looked it up and yes the same actor plays Isaac in AND out of robot drag. :-)

Kitt

09-05-2000

Saturday, July 09, 2022 - 2:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
He walked and even just stood like Isaac, he had to be the same person.

This one bothered me at how shocked the captain and number one were about Gordon deciding to get a life. (The mechanics of him becoming a pilot when using fake docs is another matter though!) It's all fine to say go and live out your life in the back end of beyond but come on, in reality that's not practical. (Not creating children though... that would have been a good idea!)

So yes, it's not allowed, but to be shocked it happened - particularly knowing what a hot mess the Orville crew were in the early seasons, even if they're all pretending to be "normal" this season - didn't make sense.

And although the character didn't seem to mind when told at the very end what happened, why tell him?! That's the stuff of nightmares! Particularly as he already was a little bit in love with the woman because of her phone. There was no reason for him to know.

A very watchable episode, but I'm still having a hard time rewiring those neural pathways to rewrite the characters and tone of the show to suit this season.

(Re Isaac in human form, I don't suppose there are any Red Dwarf fans but this reminded me of the double polaroid episode where their robot Kryten is turned into a human temporarily and remarks that he's human, only to be told, "yeah, but you've lost your looks!")

Mizinvanccouver

02-21-2003

Sunday, July 10, 2022 - 9:36 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mizinvanccouver a private message Print Post    
Sanfran you crack me up," At the time, I looked it up and yes the same actor plays Isaac in AND out of robot drag. :-)"

Kitt...I agree it is hard to get used to the new more 'formal' Orville. I too said to my daughter,"Why are they telling him now?!! What good does that do?!!"

Strategist

07-01-2014

Friday, July 15, 2022 - 5:27 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Strategist a private message Print Post    
Another great one this week. A few laughs and a thoughtful message. The theme was a bit disconcerting and made you think about our lack of humanity.

Mizinvanccouver

02-21-2003

Friday, July 15, 2022 - 7:26 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mizinvanccouver a private message Print Post    
I really enjoyed last nights episode! The visuals were amazing!
I thought it extreme the Khalen (sp?) murdering the families.
The actor who plays Issac is so talented!
Loved there were so many storylines at the same time.
Looking forward to next week!

Strategist

07-01-2014

Saturday, July 16, 2022 - 3:29 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Strategist a private message Print Post    
The Kaylons were built in the image of their humanoids. The species was silver with red eyes.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Saturday, July 16, 2022 - 3:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
When the humanized Isaac suddenly got feelings, visually it was like he was a different person. Such good acting. I did think he was going to stay like that though, and was wondering how long it would be before the doctor couldn't bear the clinginess.

This episode was much more of what I think The Orville to be. I really enjoyed it.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Sunday, July 17, 2022 - 4:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
"This episode was much more of what I think The Orville to be. I really enjoyed it."

To me, this episode was much more of what I think ST-TNG to be. I thought it was okay for a stolen TNG plotline.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Sunday, July 17, 2022 - 5:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Monday, July 18, 2022 - 1:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
LOL Kitt

It's hard to watch this without comparing it to other ST series because so much of it seems to be just a slightly different version of what we've seen in other ST series.

Remember when Worf was hooking up with Judzia-Dax (sp?) on ST-Deep Space 9 and she had to visit sick bay because of "sex injuries"?

Kitt

09-05-2000

Monday, July 18, 2022 - 1:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
I do! At least then it believable though, in the Orville she just seemed to look at Lamar and he'd break.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Monday, July 18, 2022 - 1:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
I wonder when/if this new robot with emotions will discover a desire for power and become the new "Lor".

It's like this series writes itself....or maybe that it was and written before, in the late 1980s and/or early 1990s!

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Monday, July 18, 2022 - 1:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
Btw, don't get me wrong, I do "like" this show. I just don't "love" it anymore...ever since it decreased the humor and increased the drama. The humor I find in it now is mainly how it uses so many plot points from the actual ST series. but not as successfully.

Strategist

07-01-2014

Monday, July 18, 2022 - 7:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Strategist a private message Print Post    
I love both TNG and Orville equally and I only really started loving Orville as much as TNG in season 3.

Coincidentally, I started re-watching TNG from the start a couple of months ago. (There are 178 episodes so it's taking forever to get through!) There are definitely similarities, but the Orville is so much more current in the storytelling and the jokes are great too.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Tuesday, July 19, 2022 - 4:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
Strategist, I'm doing the same thing! - I started rewatching TNG a couple or three months ago. I am about 7 or 8 episodes away from the end of season 7, the final season.

I was struck at how young Picard looked in season one. Of course, at that time, I was also bingeing ST-Picard which was made when Patrick Stewart was about a hundred, but he held up very well. :-)

Strategist

07-01-2014

Tuesday, July 19, 2022 - 5:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Strategist a private message Print Post    
Boy, Picard does look old. I notice he was so young as well. I'm only nearing the end of season 3 and he's looking very muscular and athletic at this point.

The video quality at the beginning was pretty bad too. Everything was all stretchy. Also the stars moved the wrong direction sometimes. I think they fixed that by about the fourth episode. LOL.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Tuesday, July 19, 2022 - 6:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Patrick Stewart was only in his 40s at the start of TNG. Quite amazing really. He's 82 now.

Some of season 1 of TNG hasn't held up well, it's very like the original series in some ways. After that it gets to be more like I remember. Voyager and DS9, though not many years later, seemed so much more modern right from the start.

Mizinvanccouver

02-21-2003

Saturday, July 23, 2022 - 8:50 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mizinvanccouver a private message Print Post    
Orville this week seemed more drawn out. More like Star Wars with the inflight fighting/fleeing scenes. Positive messaging but could have used a few more laughs.

Strategist

07-01-2014

Sunday, July 24, 2022 - 1:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Strategist a private message Print Post    
Another good one for sure.
I agree that it was much like a Star Wars movie.

Strategist

07-01-2014

Thursday, July 28, 2022 - 8:09 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Strategist a private message Print Post    
This week's Orville was action packed. No funnies, but boy oh boy was it good. The ending OMG.

Strategist

07-01-2014

Saturday, July 30, 2022 - 4:19 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Strategist a private message Print Post    
The show is already available, but if you have not seen it yet...

Spoiler
Click below to view spoiler
That was such a good eulogy by Isaac. It was a really moving memorial. I love Isaac and wish I was more like him. Amazing that someone who was treated so badly could be so eloquent and kind. For someone who has no emotions, he sure does create emotions in others! Mark Jackson is an amazing actor to play a machine and yet infuse so much humanity.

Strategist

07-01-2014

Saturday, July 30, 2022 - 4:42 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Strategist a private message Print Post    
A few tweets that might be of interest...

@TheRobLogan
Hey, remember when everyone was like, "Why is Season 3 of #TheOrville taking so long?" It's because they were making the best damn television on television, that's why. Every week I'm drying my tears while simultaneously picking my jaw up off the floor. #RenewTheOrville

@historyfilmfan
What this season of #TheOrville #TheOrvilleNewHorizons is really about is the battle between quick and easy fascism vs slow and frustrating democracy, and how even so the latter is what we must cling to. This is the relevant sci-fi we need. #RenewTheOrville

@Caracticus
The Orville is taking the allegory of Star Trek and taking it up a notch. Now is not the time for subtlety, and the Orville is making the stark contrast between democracy and authoritarian theocracy very very clear.

Strategist

07-01-2014

Sunday, August 07, 2022 - 3:15 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Strategist a private message Print Post    
The finale had quite a few laughs, love stories, and some drama. It was very well done if this is a series ending (which is what they thought it would be.) But so many fans are fighting hard for a Season 4. I think it has to be coming. This is the next phase of a long-term sci-fi like Star Trek.

Mizinvanccouver

02-21-2003

Sunday, August 07, 2022 - 7:28 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mizinvanccouver a private message Print Post    
Though it is not like the original first 2 seasons of Orville which was more slapstick humour, I still did enjoy this season and hope it gets renewed.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Sunday, August 07, 2022 - 9:10 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Same here. I hope the first two very dark episodes didn’t turn too many people off. It found its groove again and had some great moments.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Register Now
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: