TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through September 19, 2016

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: Emmy Awards: Archive through September 19, 2016 users admin

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Monday, September 21, 2015 - 6:37 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
Nothing against Peter Dinklage, who is wonderful, but Alan Cumming should win an Emmy every year just for being Alan Cumming.

Spunky

10-07-2001

Monday, September 21, 2015 - 7:07 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Spunky a private message Print Post    
I think Viola Davis is a great actress and after the Oscar the Emmy makes sense... however, I stopped watching the murder show, since it was too ridiculous, in my opinion. As for the other shows... huh? Are we watching the same tv shows? It seemed to me it was an Emmy awards for some other country, or why don't they just call it the HBO awards, all the networks that keep airing news shows, good and bad, every season, what happens to those, not even a nomination.
Yet, I do watch tv and several new shows every season but they don't show up on the Emmy awards, except for 1 or 2, the rest is coming from HBO, I cancelled my subscription to HBO because I wasn't interested and yet they're the ones winning awards.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Monday, September 21, 2015 - 7:22 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
Spunky, Netflix? House of Cards, Bloodline, Orange Is the New Black (I never got into that one), and probably others.

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Monday, September 21, 2015 - 10:35 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
I was thrilled at Olive Kitteridge being such a big winner. Someone above mentioned it was dull, but it was a wonderfully drawn character study…just about the best I've ever seen. I couldn't take my eyes off of her whenever Francis McDormand was on the screen. She is just the best.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Monday, September 21, 2015 - 11:11 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
I haven't seen Olive Kitteridge. Sounds like my kinda .... I am a fan of Francis McDormand -- ever since Fargo.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Monday, September 21, 2015 - 12:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
Wow, if you don't have HBO or Showtime you really are out of luck on the Emmy award winning shows. I think the only show I watch regularly that was nominated (besides the reality categories) is Modern Family.

I'm kind of like Spunky...I don't even bother accepting when they offer free subscription packages for 3 months...they show the same movies over and over again and I really don't want to pay extra to watch a television show.

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Monday, September 21, 2015 - 12:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
I'm with Spunky and Roxip - not into the extra-pay channels. Will order the seasons from the library and watch later some times. Had a discussion with Colossus about the NFL over the same subject as well - for the most part, you can't get any NFL games here but Arizona Cardinals unless you pay extra, and then it's a re-run. Not going to happen, and I'm sure we're not the only ones. They're destroying their base audience.

I also tuned in to the Emmys last night to see the shenanigans and awards and immediately turned it off with the anti-conservative "humor." It's fine if both sides are getting hit, but I'm not supporting an anti-conservative hate-fest. So the Emmys lost my view as well.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Monday, September 21, 2015 - 1:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Loved Olive Kitteridge the book (winner of the 2009 Pulitzer Prize for Fiction) as well as the HBO adaptation - I'm thrilled it won all those Emmys!

And it was ALL because of Frances McDormand, i.e., she snapped up the rights to adapt the book shortly after it was published (because she loved it so much) and then spent the next several years trying to get the project produced - that's when HBO stepped in and the rest is history!

Irsnappy

01-13-2009

Monday, September 21, 2015 - 4:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Irsnappy a private message Print Post    
Sorry but I couldn't even read the Kitteridge book, I just found it so boring.
But I do agree that Alan Cumings should get an award for just being himself....saw him in Cabaret where he was beyond fabulous, I don't watch The Good Wife but have seen him on it and think he is great...I even love the introduction he does for Masterpiece Theater....

Pamy

01-01-2002

Monday, September 21, 2015 - 6:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
I agree, didnt know 90% of the noms

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Tuesday, September 22, 2015 - 6:13 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
Irsnappy, have you read Alan Cumings autobiography. I think it might be titled 'Not My Father's Son'. It is so interesting to see where/what he comes from. I could just watch him reading the phone book. A fascinating man.

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Tuesday, September 22, 2015 - 1:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
OG, I listened to it on CD - Alan read it himself. It's not something I could read/listen to a second time because of the facts of his upbringing, but it brings together two of my favorite things - genealogy (Who Do You Think You Are) and Alan Cumming. Loved it while hating what he went through.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, September 22, 2015 - 7:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
LOL.. I appreciated the Olive Kitteridge book and Frances McDormand deserves her accolades but didn't exactly enjoy it.

And other than that and maybe another documentary or two the only nominated shows I watch are the reality shows.

Of course I've heard of the other nominated shows and USED to watch but stopped watching any number of the nominated shows but as far as current viewing I had horses in very few races and didn't watch this show .. just read the results.

Naja

06-28-2003

Tuesday, September 22, 2015 - 8:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I ended up binge watching Olive Kitteridge last night from midnight to 4 AM (I took advantage of my current insomnia).

I have to say I really enjoyed it. It was too interesting to be a sleep-aid like I was hoping....LOL

I could completely see how her story would be boring to read, though.

(If you have HBO, it's in on-demand)

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Wednesday, September 23, 2015 - 5:51 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
You are correct, Sea, OK isn't exactly something one enjoys. It is such a sad life and probably very close to lots of people's lives…bleak! But watching what the actors brought to their parts was mesmerizing. I truly felt I was watching the best of the best. Those performances still stay with me months later. Not too many you can say that about.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, September 23, 2015 - 12:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Indeed, the book was well written and the performances were spot on and just the best. It deserved the award. But I have to say I have no inclination to watch it again because while I appreciated it and am glad I watched it, I found no joy in it.

I agree, Naja, not something to put you to sleep :-)

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, September 23, 2015 - 12:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I think also I watched it before Uncle Ricky got to see it and knowing how much he loved the book, I was watching the miniseries knowing he would love it as well.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Wednesday, September 23, 2015 - 5:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Totally right, Sea! I only wish the book had been twice as long as it was -- same thing for the mini-series, it was too short. I love all that family drama - there's no such thing as "too much."

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Thursday, September 24, 2015 - 5:33 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
Yes, Sea. Joy is not something one would associate with OK.

Naja

06-28-2003

Sunday, September 18, 2016 - 10:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Everything above is for last year. Everything below is for 2016.

----------

As happy as I am for Tatiana Maslany finally winning this year for Orphan Black, I think for me the I was happiest seeing Patton Oswalt finally win for something.

I just love that short chubby fella. He looked so surprised and happy tonight. It was not only his first win, but his first nomination. I used to love him on King of Queens and he was great on 2.5 men, as well as 50 States of Tara. His last comedy special was awesome!

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Sunday, September 18, 2016 - 10:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
I was surprised the guy won for Mr Robot, it was an unusual pick I think for a rookie win. I only watched the end.

Naja

06-28-2003

Sunday, September 18, 2016 - 10:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
When out of nowhere this past few months, the Mr. Robot guy was on all my night time talk shows at the first guest of the night, I had an inkling.

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Monday, September 19, 2016 - 5:09 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
I loved Patton Oswalt too but I can't help it, when celebrity's become political I usually cool toward them.
I was happy that Louie Anderson won an Emmy too. My goodness he's overweight, I think his weight fluctuates.

Holly

07-21-2001

Monday, September 19, 2016 - 6:17 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Holly a private message Print Post    
I couldn't believe the OJ series won over Fargo! It was good but come on. No comparison in overall excellence, imo. Jimmy Kimmel was good as a host.

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Monday, September 19, 2016 - 6:43 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
I loved Fargo and thought it was better than OJ too. I like both though.