TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through August 21, 2017

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: The Sinner on USA: Archive through August 21, 2017 users admin

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Saturday, August 05, 2017 - 9:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Hubby and I just watched this tonight. Starring Jessica Biel and Bill Pullman. Super compelling. It's a "limited series," so it may only be a few episodes, but I loved it. Can't wait till next week.

Naja

06-28-2003

Saturday, August 05, 2017 - 10:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
We were talking about it in the premieres thread. I really enjoyed it, too.

I know it seems like it's predictable, but I really think it won't be taking the obvious route.

For anybody that hasn't heard about it yet, "The Sinner" is about a young woman, that out of nowhere, violently kills a man she doesn't know. The show tries to figure out why she did it, because apparently she doesn't even know why herself. It flashbacks to her youth, goes through the investigation, etc.

Bill Pullman plays a very weird cop.

Naja

06-28-2003

Sunday, August 06, 2017 - 12:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Since it's been a few days since the premiere, I am going to talk openly about it.

I think one of the big clues is after she killed the the guy, she said to the woman something like "He can't hurt you anymore". So I think what happened in her past is she witnessed someone else being abused, possibly for an ongoing basis. Maybe her sickly baby sister?

This is all just speculation, and I am almost never right.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Sunday, August 06, 2017 - 1:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Naja, once the show has aired in the US, you're safe to talk about it. I think you're right with your theories. I'm thinking along the same lines. Unless it's just too obvious and they're misdirecting us . . .

It's been known to happen.

Naja

06-28-2003

Sunday, August 06, 2017 - 2:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Maybe she witnessed her dad abusing her mother? The reason I suggest that is because if they want to throw us off, that could be one way. Because they made her mom seem so mean and her dad seem so nice in the flash backs. But maybe her mom was mean because her dad was an abuser.

Just throwing more ideas out there....LOL

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Sunday, August 06, 2017 - 2:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I'm enjoying your theories (although I haven't seen it yet). I just hope it's not too predictable.

Naja

06-28-2003

Sunday, August 06, 2017 - 2:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I got the definite feeling in the flashbacks that Cora's mom had lost a lot of babies after having Cora, and before having the baby girl she was holding. So there is that question of "why".

And that baby was so sickly looking. Almost scary.

Rieann

08-26-2006

Sunday, August 06, 2017 - 3:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
I was thinking that some of the flashback memories may be distorted. I'm thinking that baby in the flashback never lived. I do tend to overthink things though (lol). Mama sure seems crazy.

And then there is the whole religious angle with the title of the show and that moment in jail when she started praying during her panic attack.

I do think things will start going in unexpected directions.

Naja

06-28-2003

Sunday, August 06, 2017 - 3:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
The most confusing part that throws a wrench into everything is how the witness said the murdered guy seemed to recognize Cora and he let her murder him. This first ep has my brain spinning.

Naja

06-28-2003

Sunday, August 06, 2017 - 3:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Another idea that popped into my head after you mentioned praying, is maybe she went away to religious school or camp. The ideas are endless for horrible things could have happened there. The murdered guy could fit into that story.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Monday, August 07, 2017 - 10:44 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
That baby was definitely scary-looking. If that was supposed to be a real baby, it looked like it should still be in the hospital.

Naja

06-28-2003

Thursday, August 10, 2017 - 12:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I didn't take into account that Cora would be lying to us. Guessing the story is almost impossible when you are being fed lies.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Friday, August 11, 2017 - 10:12 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Still intrigued. It's only 8 episodes, so we're gonna hang in there.

Rhodarobin

06-25-2014

Friday, August 11, 2017 - 11:30 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rhodarobin a private message Print Post    
I want to read the book.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Friday, August 11, 2017 - 11:47 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
There's a book?!?!? That sounds interesting.

Jenjackso

02-10-2009

Sunday, August 13, 2017 - 1:34 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jenjackso a private message Print Post    
I was not commenting because I could tell that nobody in this thread had read the book - ha. Will still not comment other to say I'm watching to compare the show to the book. Jessica Biel is playing Cora well.

Rieann

08-26-2006

Monday, August 14, 2017 - 12:06 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
I was just thinking, as I watched the latest episode, that this series is like reading a book with an unreliable narrator. I come here immediately after and you tell me there is a book! Oh no!! It's now 12am and you know I'm going to go read it. LOL

It is like 'Big Little Lies'... I started the mini-series and then went and read the book immediately. I have no self control.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Monday, August 14, 2017 - 12:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
I think I'll wait to read the book till after, too. I like being surprised.

Hubby read Big Little Lies long before it was on TV. It was really hard for me not to ask him what was going to happen. He'd just smile and say, "Wait and see."

Sugar

08-15-2000

Tuesday, August 15, 2017 - 11:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I suppose I will give it another episode or two but it is a bit plodding and disjointed IMO.

Pamy

01-01-2002

Wednesday, August 16, 2017 - 7:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
Rieann, I think the same thing that the baby didnt live. I also think the dad is molesting her.

wonder why the song triggers her, it cant be from her childhood since it was from the victims band.

it is very slow moving but since it is only 8 eps Im going to stay with it

Whrlwnd

10-13-2006

Friday, August 18, 2017 - 8:09 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Whrlwnd a private message Print Post    
Good stuff!

I love a good summer mystery... of course in this case it's not a who done it, but a why done it? But I'm still totally intrigued, and wish I could binge all the episodes!... but I'm glad I can't b/c I'd have finished it the first day. :-)

Her mother is evil, her sister was evil... at the very least her father didn't protect her frm her the evil... even her aunt seems suspicious to me... not sure I believed what she told the detective. Poor Cora.

Thanks for the tip about a book. I'm sure I'll be reading it as soon as the show finishes.

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Saturday, August 19, 2017 - 11:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
I would not say her sister was evil, mischievous maybe. It is nice that they had moments together. and the mother was not evil so much as nuts.

Panda

07-15-2005

Sunday, August 20, 2017 - 12:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Panda a private message Print Post    
I knew I commented on this somewhere! (It was in the Premiers post)
I am hoping it is something other than sexual abuse from home, even though it seems to be in other aspects.

I just think the whole detective/mistress thing is bizarre!

I'll be watching until the end because now I need to know! I also like a Summer mysterious show like this.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Sunday, August 20, 2017 - 12:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I find the show to be odd more than interesting. I'll finish it and hope for the best but doubt it will end up being a good show.

Whrlwnd

10-13-2006

Monday, August 21, 2017 - 6:05 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Whrlwnd a private message Print Post    
The detective's masochistic issues are the one part of the show that I could do without. It just seems gratuitous to me. I suppose it does add to the uncomfortable vibe of the show, but even there it's unnecessary as Cora's mystery is already uncomfortable enough.