TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through June 22, 2016

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: Outlander: Outlander with book talk included (spoilers): Archive through June 22, 2016 users admin

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Monday, May 16, 2016 - 1:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
Okay, here it is. Maybe there will be more comments now.

Denecee

09-05-2002

Monday, May 16, 2016 - 1:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Denecee a private message Print Post    
thanks, this is where I will post on the show as I am getting confused at where the show is compared to the books

Egbok

07-13-2000

Monday, May 16, 2016 - 7:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Egbok a private message Print Post    
I look forward to discussions in this thread since I cannot watch the TV series....I don't subscribe to Starz.

I've read all the books a few years back.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Monday, May 16, 2016 - 7:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
I'm loving the adaptation. They keep so many lines word for word, but they've realistically transferred Jamie's healing time to France since the Abbey was in Scotland in the show. They did NOT gloss over his rape, and when Jamie and Claire did get through that struggle, the "fortress" speech that sparked their re-connection was almost identical to Jamie's explanation in the book about the effects of BJR's treatment.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Sunday, May 22, 2016 - 6:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
I started this thread so we can discuss spoilers from the books, even though I dont remember them all. What a sick black jack is.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Monday, May 23, 2016 - 6:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
In the book he was even worse....Fergus was branded and THAT was what Claire finally saw. I am all at once loving and dreading their return to Scotland. I can hardly wait for Dougal, et. al. to be in the show again, but the ending of Dragonfly absolutely rips my heart apart! I'm listening to Voyager at the moment, and if they don't make it into S3, there is something seriously wrong!

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Monday, May 30, 2016 - 5:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
I don't remember Fergus being branded. He loses his hand to the British soldiers later on. It was Jamie who was branded and Claire cut it off (the brand).

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Monday, May 30, 2016 - 5:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Fergus is branded in the books as well. That is what causes him to cry out and for Jamie to go feral. Claire finds out when she is at Louise's summer house as she's dealing with depression from losing the baby and Jamie is off on the ship pretending to have smallpox (having NOT seen Claire at all). It's in chapter 28 "The Coming of the Light."

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Monday, May 30, 2016 - 9:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
I thought the fact that nasty Jack Black Randall was raping Fergus was what made him cry out and Jamie to go feral.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Tuesday, May 31, 2016 - 3:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
In the show, yes. In the book it's more vague. First - I can't imagine BJR branding before raping him and Fergus NOT crying out. However, Fergus does say BJR was big, so he asked if he could take him in his mouth, but BJR said no. Claire tells him to stop; she doesn't need to hear everything, but Fergus has to let it go.

The next actual quote from Fergus is when he tells Claire, “But it’s all my fault, Madame!” he burst out, pulling away. His lip was trembling, and tears welled in his eyes. “I should have kept quiet; I shouldn’t have cried out! But I couldn’t help it, and milord heard me, and…and he burst in…and…oh, Madame, I shouldn’t have, but I was so glad to see him, and I ran to him, and he put me behind him and hit the Englishman in the face."

So....given the brand and the fact that Fergus had been with men before, it was the brand that caused him to cry out. However, the book doesn't actually say exactly what was going when he cried out.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Tuesday, May 31, 2016 - 5:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
I still don't remember anything about Fergus getting branded.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Wednesday, June 01, 2016 - 2:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Here's the part about the branding from earlier in the same chapter:
"About the size of a halfpenny piece, it was the dark, purplish-red color of a freshly healed burn. Disbelievingly, I touched it, making Fergus start in alarm.

The edges of the mark were incised; whatever had made it had sunk into the flesh. I grabbed the boy by the arm to stop him running away, and bent to examine the mark more closely. At a distance of six inches, the shape of the mark was clear; it was an oval, carrying within it smudged shapes that must have been letters...

I had seen something like it only once before, and that wound freshly inflicted, while this had had some time to heal. But the mark of a brand is unmistakable.

Seeing that I meant it, he quit struggling. He licked his lips, hesitating, but his shoulders slumped, and I knew I had him now.

“It was…an Englishman, milady. With a ring.”

“When?”

“A long time ago, Madame! In May.”

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Wednesday, June 01, 2016 - 4:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
I read Outlander has been renewed for 2 more seasons on Starz.

Beth4freedom

10-24-2003

Wednesday, June 01, 2016 - 7:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Beth4freedom a private message Print Post    
Hooray for the renewal! Had not heard, but it deserves it for so many reasons! I am listening to Outlander soundtrack music right now. Did not know until this past week that the title theme is an adaptation of an actual song of the period about the Culloden failed uprising and James escape.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Thursday, June 02, 2016 - 3:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Bear's music is fantastic, isn't it, Beth? He actually did his PhD on Jacobite music, so this show is perfect for him. He's also done DaVinci's Demons, Black Sails, The Walking Dead, Battlestar Gallactica, Cloverfield Lane, the Boy, and much more. His piano music when Claire returns after Faith's death just completely broke me down. It's the first time in this show he's used just piano, and it literally broke my heart.

Oh - and YAY!!!!!! for two more seasons!!!!

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Sunday, June 05, 2016 - 6:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
And now we've met Lord John (aka "William Grey"-- I wonder why they changed his name?). Culloden is coming and I'm so sad.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Sunday, June 05, 2016 - 7:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
His full name is Lord John William Grey in the books. :-)

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Monday, June 06, 2016 - 10:33 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
All I could remember is that his stepson was named William, so I was confused. I love Lord John!

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Tuesday, June 07, 2016 - 4:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Me, too! Have you read the side LJG books? There are 3 full-length books (normal length - not Diana length! LOL), and a bunch of short stories/novellas. I thought of the 3 books, each one just got better. More mystery based than anything, but still lots of history in each one.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Wednesday, June 08, 2016 - 4:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
I read the Lord John books. Loved them.

Beth4freedom

10-24-2003

Sunday, June 19, 2016 - 7:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Beth4freedom a private message Print Post    
This week's Outlander episode (6/18, I think it was called Act of Vengeance) was written by the book author...how neat! Found this out in a "behind the scenes" brief featurette that played after the episode on demand. They gave it to Diana partly because the episode sticks so closely to the book. She laughed when she commented on one change: they said no church would allow horses inside, so the horses could not hide in the church with the people! Major change was that evidently in the book Rupert dies, but in the tv show he had to live because "a beloved character had already died earlier" (in the battle scene the previous week, sad I can't remember his name...for anyone who knows, was that "beloved character" also in the book and if so what happened to him?)

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Monday, June 20, 2016 - 9:46 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
It was Angus. They killed Angus in the Battle of Prestonpans. Internal bleeding from the concussion of the cannon explosion when he was trying to save his buddy. Sad.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Wednesday, June 22, 2016 - 12:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
http://www.ew.com/article/2016/06/22/outlander-brianna-roger-sophie-skelton-richard-rankin

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Wednesday, June 22, 2016 - 2:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
It says we got a preview of those characters earlier in the season but I have no recollection of this.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Wednesday, June 22, 2016 - 8:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
Did you read the comments fussing about the actors' looks?