TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through June 16, 2017

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: PBS Shows - General: Archive through June 16, 2017 users admin

Cass_cat

05-09-2011

Monday, May 22, 2017 - 12:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cass_cat a private message Print Post    
I finally watched Charles III... and really enjoyed it. Started out, not so much, but ended up liking the "Shakespearen" feel to it.

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Monday, May 22, 2017 - 8:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
Love Sister Monica Joan. That was the best season finale ever!

Scout

01-19-2005

Tuesday, May 23, 2017 - 8:35 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scout a private message Print Post    
Lakecat - I agree. I loved it!! Can't believe we have to wait a whole year for more episodes.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Tuesday, May 23, 2017 - 11:22 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I want more Call the Midwife and I want it now, not in 2018!
Bring back Chummy & Peter.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Wednesday, May 24, 2017 - 3:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
I also just watched King Charles III. Thought it was very interesting, although I didn't buy the "romance" between Harry and Jessica for an instant. I thought the idea of Charles trying to "rule," rather than just being a figurehead was quite interesting.

I recently finished reading a biography of Charles ("Prince Charles: The Passions and Paradoxes of an Improbable Life" by Sally Bedell Smith), and the author did bring up questions about what kind of a king Charles would be. He does like to dabble in politics and influencing opinions more than he should, and there is some concern that he might like to influence Parliament, rather than rubber stamp everything as he's supposed to. The days of a ruling monarch are long past, and if Charles insisted on "having his way" as he did in this play, it could bring about a Constitutional crisis that could result in the abolishment of the monarchy. There are a lot of people in the UK who think the monarchy is a waste of money and would be glad to see them go.

Spunky, I didn't see William and Kate's forcing Charles to abdicate as selfish (well, not William anyway), but rather as trying to preserve the monarchy.

It was very Shakespearean. I enjoyed most of it (except for Harry and Jessica--that was just silly).

Spunky

10-07-2001

Friday, May 26, 2017 - 3:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Spunky a private message Print Post    
I only found interesting that the idea of this fictional Charles III would create a Constitutional crisis, as you said Baby, however I don't believe the real Charles would dare disrupt anything that went so well during her mother's reign. For the sake of leaving things as they are he will gladly sign that bill... he would want to enjoy e few years as king but then I think he will gladly abdicate in favour of Prince William and enjoy his retirement with Camilla. (I think it would be great if he did so).

Frontline had a recent story on Bannon, Trump's advisor, right, the one who was kicked out. I was quite surprised to hear some of Bannon's views, many in Europe feel the same, those who can't stop the invasion from Africa, there are many who believe the invasion is planned. Anyway, I believe Europe is no longer Europe, at least not the way it was when I lived there.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, May 26, 2017 - 10:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Just got to the Call the Midwife season finale tonight.

Great show.. so happy Shelagh had her baby. I know Nurse Crane was hurt but Sr Juienne had such history with Shelagh, from back when Shelagh was going to become a nun, so I think it was the right choice for her.

But then this hurt was noted and Nurse Crane was asked to be maid of honor, so that was very cool.

I had seen the previews about the rushed wedding and I worried that the reason was that he was being transferred and they were leaving, so I was incredibly relieved that it seems not. since they are two of my favorites (many favorites for me).

Anyway loved this gentle show.. gentle but they pack a punch on issues.. this week thalidomide and the blood clotting issues with early birth control (maybe those still exist) and earlier female genital mutilation, which is still an issue.. just reading today about Michigan cracking down , though it is illegal in most states here (and it is NOT a Muslim thing, crosses religions but stems from certain areas.)

Now we just have to keep PBS going!

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Saturday, May 27, 2017 - 6:25 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
Yes, two doctors were arrested in the last month performing the mutilations in Michigan.

I'm trying to convince a friend to watch and that is exactly how I described it too, a gentle show that gives bang for the buck.

Jasper

09-14-2000

Saturday, May 27, 2017 - 7:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jasper a private message Print Post    
You're right about Sheilagh and Sister Julianne having history but Sheilagh was a nun, different name and everything, though I can't remember what. She left the order when she fell for the doc. It was another good season. I hope there is still a Xmas special.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, May 27, 2017 - 7:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Yes, I know Shelagh was a nun, Sister Bernadette (I had to look that up!) and had that history with Sister Juilenne.. Then she was drawn to Dr Turner but fighting it.

They worked together on the TB screening in Poplar and were surprised to find that Shelagh had TB.

She went to a Sanitorium, or the Mother House.. or both.. and when she left there had decided what to do.

But she soon was working with her new husband and of course working closely with everyone at Nonnatus House so still working with Sr Julienne. She would still be seen singing with them, too.

Jasper

09-14-2000

Saturday, May 27, 2017 - 9:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jasper a private message Print Post    
I wrongly assumed from your wording "going to become" that you didn't know she was a nun and not a postulant.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, May 28, 2017 - 12:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I certainly wasn't clear!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, May 28, 2017 - 3:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Ah, following links there is one about Lalura, the actress who plays Shelagh, breaking up with her boyfriend of 5 years, but it contains info about the show.

The baby is named Teddy.

And I thought I knew the show was renewed for two "series" as they call seasons in UK but it is actually three! And they are filming series 7 now.

The actor playing Officer Noakes had already quit. No mention of Chummy.

Sister Mary Cynthia, Patsy and Delia won't be back.. though it was pointed out that they weren't killing anyone off so they can be open to return later.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-4527752/Call-Midwife-star-Laura-Main-36-reveals-split.html

Sugar

08-15-2000

Sunday, May 28, 2017 - 6:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Bummer, I like Patsy, Delia & Peter. I haven't really missed Sister Mary Cynthia so that character leaving ok by me.

I believe Emerald Fennel is going to be on Victoria.

Roteach

06-01-2003

Sunday, May 28, 2017 - 8:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roteach a private message Print Post    
The actress who plays Chummy has her own TV show and has filmed a movie so I guess she is branching out into more things. I did love her character.

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Monday, May 29, 2017 - 10:35 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
This is one of my favorite shows. After every episode I feel I've been drug through a wringer.

When my DD was a teen she took birth control for her acne. It cleared up her skin. After about a year she had a blood clot in her eye. It eventually healed okay but was just awful on her vision for a few weeks. Needless to say, never take prescription warning for granted.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Monday, May 29, 2017 - 12:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
Needless to say, never take prescription warning for granted.

Right. Often you hear check with doc about taking two meds at same time. I didn't. Wish I had. Prescription drug and baby aspirin over a few months.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Monday, May 29, 2017 - 2:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
So true, my dental hygienist was telling me a story about a allery drug she took and she noticed she was getting really depressed. Finally realized it was happening after she took the drug, checked the side effects and it noted depression.

I have paid a lot more attention ever since a blood pressure medicine gave me an extremely persistent cough, that was just horrible, I thought it was allergies!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, May 29, 2017 - 3:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Known side effect!

And quite a few medications, including meds FOR depression, can cause or worsen it.

And if someone is bipolar and given anti-depressants things can go bad, very bad..

and interactions.. have to be careful of those of course.

Mack

07-22-2002

Friday, June 02, 2017 - 4:30 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
Finally got around to watching Charles III off of our DVR. Mrs Mack was on a business trip when it first aired and I actually accidentally came across it when channel surfing. Caught part of it and thought it might interest her so set up the DVR and caught a full airing for her. Anyhow, watched the full show last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. Obviously a fictional story line but sprinkled with enough reality or potential reality to make it plausible. I haven't read anything about it but the Royal Family must have been a bit less than thrilled. Sad that Tim Piggott-Smith who played Charles III passed away in April.

Naja

06-28-2003

Sunday, June 04, 2017 - 11:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
PLEASE be sure to catch the special titled "Sgt Pepper’s Musical Revolution"

It's the history of the making of the album. My Mom is an original Beatles fan (That's what she says). She says she was a Beatles fan so early on that people made fun of her liking them. She says there were 2 types of teens in her day. You either liked the Beatles or liked Elvis, and my mom was the first to drop Elvis.

Anyway, be sure to catch one of the replays of the show. It's so good!

Jasper

09-14-2000

Monday, June 12, 2017 - 9:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jasper a private message Print Post    
Grantchester is back next Sunday. There is an new Masterpiece series starting before it.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, June 13, 2017 - 1:11 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Naja, there was a third group.. we were heavy into folk, Peter Paul & Mary, Judy Collins, Joan Baez.. And surf music. And also I wasn't around TV in the dorm, so I didn't jump on The Beatles.

I think we got into them starting with Rubber Soul.

But that special was EXCELLENT!!!

I have been playing Sgt Pepper's all week.

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Friday, June 16, 2017 - 3:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
well than there was a 4th group of us who would go out and party to the Beatles and/or Elvis, work to classical, and protest to folk music. Oddly enough my Father who was in his 40's when I was born was really into Bill Halley and the Comets first did not like elvis but then became a big Elvis fan later in life, He was mostly a Sinatra man though.
Beatles were the story of my youth, that back ground to history for me. So many news stories had songs attached to them, beatle songs.

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Friday, June 16, 2017 - 3:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
Oh, I see that the great british baking show starts this Sunday on PBS. heads up.