TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through May 16, 2017

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: PBS Shows - General: Archive through May 16, 2017 users admin

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, May 02, 2017 - 10:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I recorded it.. haven't watched yet.

Grooch

06-16-2006

Tuesday, May 02, 2017 - 11:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
I missed the first 15 minutes of it, but I do have to say, thank god we don't live in those times. It's very eye opening.

Tishala

08-01-2000

Wednesday, May 03, 2017 - 12:09 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tishala a private message Print Post    
There was a great Frontine on PBS tonight about juveniles given life sentences ~20 years ago and the SCOTUS decision that allowed some of them to return to society. As the documentary laid it out, a group pf "cutting edge" criminologists and (psuedo) scientists from the (as Europeans say, "American ego") psychology community (but to be fair to them, none had more than Masters degrees and none from fine institutions; none, even, from a second tier university) who believed in "super-predators," a terminology generally applied to young non-white criminals who'd engaged in criminal behavior and, therefore, would spend the rest of their lives in jail. These (American ego) psuedo-scientists naturally refused to take responsibility for damning hundreds of young people, some as young as 11, to jail: the fault, naturally, wasn't with their pseudo-science, but with the lawmakers, who took their condemnations too literally!

At any rate, in 2012, SCOTUS discovered that these (American ego) pseudo-scientists were wrong: that experts in their field, PhDs and psychiatrists with MD/PhDs had better information than the pseudo-scientists with Masters degrees from third and fourth tier universities, and states tried to get these people out o parole, but to limited success because the pseudo-science till held a lot of sway. It was a terrible example of the way people with agendas and "incomplete" "scientific" knowledge work to destroy lives and accept no responsibility for it.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, May 03, 2017 - 12:31 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I am watching Frontline right now.

Before that it was a Showtime documentary on the squeezing out of abortion clinics ("Jackson" about the last abortion clinic in Mississippi).

In between I watched Deadliest Catch.

And The Voice.

Mixed bag tonight.

Also recorded part 2 of Genius (about Albert Einstein and Victorian Slum House, plus Little People, Big World.

As I said, a mix.

But had to stop for now.. must get sleep. Have to wake up and call Blue Shield.. they have screwed up my automatic payment and I need my insurance. Then I can drive a patient to her oncologist before I go to singing (where I seem to be considered strange because I objected to the version of Oh Shenandoah that celebrates some trapper wanting to steal the chief's daughter so he gives him "firewater". I got blank stares from some people, though a couple came and thanked me.. I did find a version by Bob Dylan that was changed to say that after 7 years this guy was going to respect the father and leave. Just a lovely folk song about genocide of the "redskins".

By the way.. sometimes even the degrees don't help.. my ex had and I guess still has his PhD but I wouldn't rely on him for good information... just saying. But definitely a good Frontline. I'll finish watching tomorrow.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Wednesday, May 03, 2017 - 7:07 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
OT: Seamonkey, Blue Shield screwed up your automatic payment? How so? Normally I get notice of increase in premium. I didn't this time. $49 increase which I was kind of expecting. I have to call BC/BS today about that.

Scout

01-19-2005

Wednesday, May 03, 2017 - 9:19 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scout a private message Print Post    
Victoria Slum House was pretty interesting. Nice group of people. I liked how invested the kids seemed to be in making it all work and helping the family.

I have never heard of sleeping on a rope before? That seems insane. You'd think a place under some stairwell or really anywhere you could just stretch out and lay down would have to be better than that.
This show really does show how terrifying that kind of poverty would have been in that era.

Jasper

09-14-2000

Wednesday, May 03, 2017 - 9:29 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jasper a private message Print Post    
Despite how hard they realize life was I liked the positive approach several of them had about it bringing them all together and spending time with one another.
That poor poor man who was at the bell factory. Plus I hope the "rent collector" does not end up damaging his stump. I assume they would let him go back to his other prosthetic if it starts to cause a problem.

Scout

01-19-2005

Wednesday, May 03, 2017 - 10:22 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scout a private message Print Post    
Jasper - I was concerned about that, too. Especially when he was having to keep pumping with it to do the wood work.

I really liked the young girl that helped by selling the watercress. You could tell she felt such a sense of accomplishment and teamwork.
It was refreshing to see how little anyone complained. Especially considering some of them were actually starving.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Wednesday, May 03, 2017 - 11:13 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
" Plus I hope the "rent collector" does not end up damaging his stump. I assume they would let him go back to his other prosthetic if it starts to cause a problem."

I got the impression this "old timey" prosthetic might be harder for him to get around because of the shape at the bottom, but that they made sure it would fit his stump like his modern day one.

They said the prosthetic he's using for the show was molded out of fiberglass instead of carved out of wood like they were back in the day, and it was made especially for him. He said it was comfortable when he put it on, just that it was less stable because the bottom of it isn't shaped like his real life prosthetic.

Jasper

09-14-2000

Wednesday, May 03, 2017 - 4:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jasper a private message Print Post    
Yes and the other man mentioned padding. But I wonder if he could still do damage because of the instability.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, May 03, 2017 - 10:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
OT Color{, this was Blue Shield of California.. hopefully this change to payment processing is limited to my state.

I started calling early.. apparently I was on EA$Y Pay which is an automatic payment from your bank account and you get a "discount".. snort.. $3 a month.

But nowhere in my statements did it say easy pay..

In the announcement of the changes it stated that if you pay from your bank account there is no change. But they actually meant you go to your bank or credit union website and pay online.

But the email I got late yesterday stated that it is too late to go on the blue shield website to pay for this month so I must call.

So I'm on hold but not sure of my due date AND.. I also had my premium go up as of my birthday April 2 and wasn't sure of the amount. So I got on my cell and managed to get the amount from the robot voice.

I wrote a check and got that ready and then finally a human being came on the line (45 minutes in).

Meanwhile I had been trying to set up an account on BS Site but it said I had an account. I finally found my ID and realized I must have set up YEARS ago so finally figured out the simple password.. which it then said I must update to a more complex one, which I did.

So then I had the rep and she said yes I had easy pay and my April 1 premium was paid (that I knew) but not the May 1.

I could pay in several ways online or off but not with easy pay until I set that up again.

But.. she couldn't get access to my account!!

And then I also couldn't get access either and she admitted that there was a known problem and guess what? My account was involved.

So she said she put a note in my account so I'd get a call when it was accessible.

Grr.

I took the payment for May to the post office and sent that off. She assured me there was a grace period and it would be no problem. I have a doctor appointment tomorrow.

I pointed out that I hoped their people were working this hard.. there are people 20 years older than I am, maybe more, who are probably even more snarled up over them changing this and it affects their medical coverage!!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, May 03, 2017 - 10:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Victorian Slum House.. very interesting .. This is an area similar to the fictional "Poplar" from Call the Midwife and while they are up to 1962 in season 6, they certainly cover the issues of lack of food, prostitution as a soulution, being unable to pay for things, inhuman conditions and so on.

The prosthetic looked old but they made the top more comfortable.. I would think it still would be less balanced and less resilient.

I would hope they wouldn't o him harm..

Seems like families were set up with predefined "abilities" and resources.

I also liked the people and attitudes. The children seemed to go into it with a positive vibe for sure.

It seemed like those with things to sell were selling to people not in the show, which was an advantage.. and having the kids in costume selling probably helped.

Scout

01-19-2005

Wednesday, May 10, 2017 - 5:41 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scout a private message Print Post    
The last episode of Home Fires was amazing but I didn't realize while I was watching it that it was the series finale. Can't believe they just left it with a cliff-hanger like that!

Roteach

06-01-2003

Wednesday, May 10, 2017 - 6:30 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roteach a private message Print Post    
Scout, the author of the original book, Jambusters, is going to write for more books taking up where the TV show left off.

Jasper

09-14-2000

Wednesday, May 10, 2017 - 7:35 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jasper a private message Print Post    
Good, the ending was such a cliffhanger. I really loved this show and have watched the first season twice.

Scout

01-19-2005

Wednesday, May 10, 2017 - 10:45 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scout a private message Print Post    
Glad to hear that, Roteach, but I wish we didn't have to wait!
Have you read the book? I've tried to get it, but didn't have any luck.

Spunky

10-07-2001

Tuesday, May 16, 2017 - 7:31 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Spunky a private message Print Post    
I didn't know if it was okay to laugh or to cry but Charles III as King must have been a joke and I can't believe how PBS got the nerve to air such a joke, from the pathetic funeral of the Queen to the pathetic fight between Charles and the Prime Minister over the bill the King was refusing to sign (I think Charles would never be that lunatic) and the horrible way William forces his father to abdicate so that he and Kate become King and Queen, I thought this was the worst joke on the Royal family ever. I felt sorry for the Queen and wish her a very very long long life.

Jasper

09-14-2000

Tuesday, May 16, 2017 - 8:29 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jasper a private message Print Post    
I deleted it after the second talking to the camera by Charles bit.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, May 16, 2017 - 9:21 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
It was a filming of a long running play. At the end, the actors spoke about the experience as Shakespearean.

The actor who played Charles died not long after at 70.

I WAS strange, though I did watch it all.

I would like to think that the ghost of Diana does haunt Charles from time to time.

Harry falling in love in a night was bizarre.

Jasper

09-14-2000

Tuesday, May 16, 2017 - 12:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jasper a private message Print Post    
I knew it was a film adaption of a play, just thought it was going to be crap. It seemed like a farce or something.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Tuesday, May 16, 2017 - 1:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Finally catching up with my recordings.

Home Fires, NO! I want more episodes. Please somebody make it happen.

Victorian Slum House. Wow! I had never heard of the sleep behind a rope thing. What a bleak existence. Amazing that humans manage to survive.

Poor Nurse Crane! Something similar happened to my mom when I was a child. A kid came running into the street and got hit/knocked down. I don't think the kid was hurt but I really don't recall what if any injuries. I remember my mom crying and crying. I think all or most of us kids were in the car also. She died a couple of years ago so I can't ask her though it is probably something she wouldn't want to remember.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Tuesday, May 16, 2017 - 1:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I think Charles III got pretty good reviews but the whole plot sounds ridiculous to me.

Grooch

06-16-2006

Tuesday, May 16, 2017 - 1:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
Thanks, everyone for your reviews on Charles III. I think I'm going to pass on it. :-)

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, May 16, 2017 - 2:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I felt for Nurse Crane.. Bless Sr Monica Joan for gently, but surely guiding Nurse Crane back into her car and into her vocation and her life.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Tuesday, May 16, 2017 - 4:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Yes, Sister Monica Joan has a heart of gold, a sweet tooth and amazing bouts of clarity in her somewhat muddled mind.