TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through May 02, 2017

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: PBS Shows - General: Archive through May 02, 2017 users admin

Sugar

08-15-2000

Sunday, April 02, 2017 - 8:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Boo, Sister Ursula, boo.
So glad to have Call the Midwife back. It appears many changes are in store for us this season.

Jasper

09-14-2000

Monday, April 03, 2017 - 8:49 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jasper a private message Print Post    
Sooo annoyed my guide didn't say it was on so I hope to catch it during the week and that it's a programming issue and it will magically appear despite what the guide says is on!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, April 03, 2017 - 1:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Happy to have Call the Midwife back but Sister Ursula is such a downer.

Missing Chummy.

Trixie stayed in Africa, miss her.

Miss Sister Evangelina.

Can only hope Ursula is soon gone or morphs into likeable a la Nurse Crane, but Ursula could ruin life for Sister Monica Joan and the sister who was attacked.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Monday, April 03, 2017 - 3:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I was dismayed for Sister Julianne as she has always seemed to perform her duties in an exemplary manner. Can't imagine what prompted the change. Nun policies/politics can be nutty be they Catholic or Anglican.

Boo, Sister Ursula, boo.

I miss Sister Evangelina, Chummy and Trixie. I fear we may never see Chummy again.

Poor Sister Mary Cynthia. Thankfully we seem to treat people who have suffered attacks of this nature better now than in 1962.

I like Nurse Crane. I have long been a Linda Bassett fan.

I was surprised that Patsy's father is alive and unwell in Hong Kong. I guess I thought she was the sole survivor of her family. I recall her mother and sister being sick with something and dying and I suppose I thought her father dead as well.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, April 03, 2017 - 11:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Yes, my heart ached for Sister Julienne...

Patsy's mother and sister died in the prisoner of war camp, where Patsy was with them.

Maybe the father was not there but deployed (well not sure they said deployed back the, maybe "at war") I was also surprised and I don't want her to be off the show.

Did you watch the comments at the end.. all about the Christmas special not this episode.. but there was the quiet nun.. the actress, with tons of blonde hair cascading down.. ..

The previews looked pretty grim, too.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, April 03, 2017 - 11:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I am excited for Shelagh and Dr Turner...

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Tuesday, April 04, 2017 - 9:22 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
I had forgotten how intense this show can be. It is first-class quality.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, April 04, 2017 - 10:47 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I have been watching marathons of last seasons the last few Sundays, so just one new show is not enough.

I did see in one of the blogs.. They have a couple of midwives who blog on the show site.. One has just retired from a long midwife career in Michigan.. Anyway one of them seemed to say Chummy will be back.. Not sure how often, but I will be happy to see her.

It is the actress who plays Sister Winifred who has lots of long blonde hair.

Spunky

10-07-2001

Wednesday, April 05, 2017 - 8:29 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Spunky a private message Print Post    
I liked the new version of "The Last Days of Jesus", it described some points which, at least to me, were a bit unknown, it portrayed the 'human' Jesus, not the one we are more used to know, the one described in the Gospels, although I suspected it took more than a few days from when Jesus entered Jerusalem and his crucifixion, in fact it seemed more like months since his arrest, I understood the link between Jesus, Herod and Rome, I can't explain it here but it was a worthwhile new version, the only thing I didn't like was the rushed ending, referring to 'the people kept the memory of Jesus alive' and thus became the worldwide religion we know today. They forgot to mention that, although the people remembered Jesus, it could have remained one of the many small movements of those times, but that it was thanks to Constantine that small movement became a powerful religion that spread everywhere in the dying Roman empire.

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Wednesday, April 05, 2017 - 8:38 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
I just checked out the season we are watching and I can't find that Chummy is in any of them. Rats!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, April 05, 2017 - 9:34 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Me neither.. I think the blog was talking about another season..

So, no Chummy. There will be a new midwife. And Trixie does return. Looks like a wedding too.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Wednesday, April 12, 2017 - 12:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I am looking forward to Dark Angel with Joanne Froggatt due to start on 21 May. It will be nice to see her in another role especially one that should be so drastically different from the much beloved Anna Bates of Downtown Abbey.

I like seeing actors play a variety of characters. It peeves me to no end when I hear people say "But they weren't like that in ....". Stop pigeon holing actors. The true talents with great range can do this and it is wonderful when it happens.

Jasper

09-14-2000

Wednesday, April 12, 2017 - 6:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jasper a private message Print Post    
She was a drug addicted mess on Coronation Street many many years ago, so Anna was a huge departure for me! And the guy who plays Barrow was a heart throb who had bedded half the Street! Lol I love seeing Brit actors pop up all sorts of places.

I have never heard of Dark Angel so thx Sugar, I'll be looking for it.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Thursday, April 13, 2017 - 8:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Has anyone caught the Agatha Raisin shows. They are really fun, from 2016, but I haven't seen them before.

Sunnyday

08-07-2014

Thursday, April 13, 2017 - 9:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sunnyday a private message Print Post    
I've seen both seasons on Acorn. Funny you mentioning it, I had just started watching it again tonight.

Jasper

09-14-2000

Sunday, April 16, 2017 - 12:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jasper a private message Print Post    
I liked them a lot more than I thought I would because I hated the two books I've read. She is so unlikeable in the books.

Scout

01-19-2005

Monday, April 17, 2017 - 8:53 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scout a private message Print Post    
Call the Midwife just keeps getting better - and I wouldn't have thought that was possible.
I was glad they gave Sister Ursula a bit of a backstory to explain why she was being so strict with everything. That's what I especially love about this show - none of the characters are just one-dimensional, all good or all bad.
This show just feels more real than almost any other show I have ever seen.

Roteach

06-01-2003

Monday, April 17, 2017 - 10:15 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roteach a private message Print Post    
I am loving this season also. The Sheila pregnancy line is heartbreaking. Sister Monica Joan watching TV outside the Seaman's Mission with Sister Julienne was a hoot.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, April 17, 2017 - 9:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
You guys made me realize I've been recording a later airing of Call the Midwife.. probably the first airing clashed with something like Colony at the time.

So I was reading this thinking .. HUH?

Aww, I don't want heartbreak for Shelagh!

I just want Sister Ursula to go back to the mother ship.. maybe I'll think differently later.

AND. I was reading at a UK site and the reason I thought Chummy was back in season six is that the WAS coming back but at the very last minute it didn't work out.. so I had read things that changed.

In Season 7 (2018 for us) they will have their first black midwife, which they are really excited about.

I also didn't know that the curate (or whatever he is in the church) in REAL life is paired up with the actress who plays Trixie! But she is happy with the scripting on the show. Interesting.

Scout

01-19-2005

Monday, May 01, 2017 - 7:16 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scout a private message Print Post    
Call the Midwife was another tear-jerker! When the son was kneeling at his mother's bed and hugging her pillow after she died, it was heart-breaking!
Glad he had cousin Fred - I love Fred. He's so kind and so sweet.

Poor Sister Mary Cynthia. I can't believe the motherhouse would have allowed her to be there.

I like the new nurse. But there's still such a big hole with Sister Evangelina and now Sister Mary Cynthia both gone. And the other nurse off taking care of her father.

I think the actress who plays Sister Monica Jane conveys more emotion with just her facial expressions than any actress I have ever seen. She is just amazing.
I loved her line, "I find two opinions are better than one. Particularly if one of them is mine" lol

Terolyn

05-06-2004

Monday, May 01, 2017 - 12:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Terolyn a private message Print Post    
I agree Scout. I really miss Sister Evangelina and Chummy. Speaking of Chummy, What reason have they given for her being gone?

Spunky

10-07-2001

Tuesday, May 02, 2017 - 9:57 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Spunky a private message Print Post    
I'm curious to see King Charles III but I must admit that I find the idea in poor taste considering that his mother is not yet dead.

We'll see...

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Tuesday, May 02, 2017 - 10:15 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
Remember the shows that aired the most recent turn of the century? They were called "Frontier House(2002)" and "The 1900 House (1999)"? Real people stepped into places that represented the way life was in the past. There were there for weeks or months.

Anyhow, looky here:

"Victorian Slum House" premieres May 2, 2017.

"The 1860s

The series, which features modern-day people recreating 19th-century life in London's East End, begins with the participants moving into an 1860s tenement that includes sparse rooms, a shared water pump and outdoor privies. They seek to make a living by matchbox making, wood turning and the rag trade, work once done by their impoverished forebears."

[TRAILER at the link]
http://www.pbs.org/program/victorian-slum-house/

---------------------

I remember in "The 1900 House", they were pretty strict with the participants. They got to live in a nice home that was limited to what was available in 1900...no TV! Yikes! They had to dress and do chores and live like they were in 1900. There were a few local shops participating in the "experiment" where they could buy things they needed, but they were limited to products that were available in 1900. These shops agreed to include them in their inventories and sold them at 1900 prices. I remember one woman, after a couple of weeks of bad hair days, managed to get a clerk to sell her a small bottle modern shampoo and tried to sneak it home but got busted by producers and they took it away. It was all caught on camera. It was rough!

"Victorian Slum House" sounds like it might make "The 1900 House" look like a walk in the park in comparison....but there's only way to find out...

Anyhow, it starts tonight on PBS.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Tuesday, May 02, 2017 - 10:22 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
Oops...just realized this is not a "scripted series", but it's on PBS so I think it's still relevant for this thread!

I think of these kinds of shows as documented "experiments" more than typical "reality shows" anyhow.

Scout

01-19-2005

Tuesday, May 02, 2017 - 10:41 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scout a private message Print Post    
Sanfranjoshfan - thanks for the heads up! I watched every one of the earlier series you mentioned, but didn't know there was another one out. These are always so good!