TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through April 10, 2017

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: Netflix Series Recommendations : ARCHIVES: Archive through April 10, 2017 users admin

Strategist

07-01-2014

Monday, March 27, 2017 - 4:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Strategist a private message Print Post    
I did find Detectorists quite "laugh out loud" funny and endearing. It's interesting how we all see things differently.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Tuesday, March 28, 2017 - 1:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
True, we all have different likes and perspectives. I am curious at what you found lol funny as I found those moments very rare.
I believe it won a BAFTA for comedy which surprised me. I am quite the British comedy fan. Really enjoying HULU for that. Have also found a few funny Australian comedies.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Tuesday, March 28, 2017 - 5:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Apologies to those who have already praised the incredibly magnificent Happy Valley -- I must add my name to the list of people who consider this a great show. And by great show, I mean GREAT SHOW! Every single episode is loaded with tension. I just can't get enough of it. I've read that there will be a season three in 2018. It's going to take me a while to recover from that nude scene (in season two) that featured Kevin Doyle. To me he'll always be Mr. Molesley from "Downton Abbey" - quite shocking to see him so thoroughly out of his servant's uniform!

Sugar

08-15-2000

Tuesday, March 28, 2017 - 5:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I really enjoyed Happy Valley. I am looking forward to series 3. I've read that will be the last series but I rather hope they change their minds and make many more.}}

Mizinvanccouver

02-21-2003

Wednesday, March 29, 2017 - 5:56 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mizinvanccouver a private message Print Post    
I'm still missing "Offspring", hope they add the seasons missing soon!

I am so enjoying season 3 of Grace & Frankie, it's like seeing old friends. I'm trying to limit myself to 1.5 episodes a day, my motivation to go use the Elliptical machine at the gym.

After reading your posts, I decided to check out Paranoid; it was a great binge watch as there were only 8 episodes. I enjoyed the writing and that the women didn't look 'perfect' as they often do in american/canadian tv shows.

So now I have started Broadchurch...I'm on episode 5, so far it's very intriguing.

Looks like I will need to check out Happy Valley next!

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Wednesday, March 29, 2017 - 2:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
I'm on the last episode of The Crown. At the very end of the previous episode (9), Prince Philip mouths something (one word?) to Queen Elizabeth across the table. What was it? I couldn't get it.

Naja

06-28-2003

Wednesday, March 29, 2017 - 2:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
He mouthed "I'm sorry".

It was confirmed by people who watched it with Dutch subtitles.

Naja

06-28-2003

Wednesday, March 29, 2017 - 2:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
ooops, wrong thread, moving post.

Strategist

07-01-2014

Friday, March 31, 2017 - 11:01 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Strategist a private message Print Post    
I am curious at what you found lol funny as I found those moments very rare.

What I found funny about Detectorists was the interesting way they said amusing things.

On the surface, the characters seem unassuming, but they are really smart. The characters know when they are saying something funny. They are "in on the joke", but they don't laugh at their own jokes.

The jokes are low-key and subtle and and as someone watching, I felt "in on the joke" too.

I also loved their references to current media (TV shows and personalities). "Simon and Garfunkel" were spot on.

Did you know the show is entirely written by Lance's sidekick, Andy. (Mackenzie Crook)?

http://www.denofgeek.com/tv/detectorists/38300/the-quiet-brilliance-of-mackenzie-crooks-detectorists

Strategist

07-01-2014

Friday, March 31, 2017 - 11:03 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Strategist a private message Print Post    
I'm missing Offspring too! Now, on to Happy Valley. You've all convinced me to give it a try.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Friday, March 31, 2017 - 3:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Yes I did know who wrote the show. I've tried to watch the British Office a few times but I don't care for Ricky Gervase. I did like what little I saw of Mackenzie Crook and Martin Freeman.

To me, the "jokes" in The Dectorists were a bit too low key and occasionally lame. I thought bits were amusing but not lol funny. I do agree the 1st time you see Simon & Garfunkel was funny.

I hope you enjoy Happy Valley.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Friday, March 31, 2017 - 3:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I have watched the first 2 episodes of Grace & Frankie and am so pleased this show is back.
I want to have miniatures of Sam W. & Martin S. to put in my pocket and take them out whenever I need to see something sweet and funny.

Vickie

07-16-2004

Friday, March 31, 2017 - 10:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Vickie a private message Print Post    
Oh I did not know there was only going to be one more series to "Happy Valley". I have enjoyed that show and now will be waiting for the last season. All the good shows are leaving. What ever happen to Vera? Does anyone know what happen to this show.

Strategist

07-01-2014

Saturday, April 01, 2017 - 2:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Strategist a private message Print Post    
A couple of great uploads of new seasons on Netflix Canada today: Call the Midwife and Downton Abbey.

Ranger2

08-08-2008

Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 12:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ranger2 a private message Print Post    
I just finished watching 13 Reasons Why last night. A very powerful, gut wrenching story about teenage suicide, and rape. Any parent of teenagers should sit with their teenagers and watch it and talk about it.

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 12:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
In two weeks I am going to do a trial of Netflix, this month I am doing Hulu, already decided it would not fulfill my needs, then after that trying sling. I really want to ditch cable, but then I can't watch some of my favorite shows ina timely fashion, I have to learn how to connect to the web so I can see shows that appear on their websites.

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 1:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
Is Dowtown

Abby on USA Netflix?

Kappy

06-28-2002

Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 2:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
Lakecat ~ I couldn't find Downton Abby on my Netflix here in the US but seasons 1-6 are included in Amazon Prime if you have that.

I have loved Netflix this past year. I tried Sling for two months but wasn't happy enough with the reception. It could have been the roku stick I got for free for having Sling.

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 6:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
I have a roku TV so not sure what that will mean.
I really just don't want to pay cable bills anymore, they are just getting ridiculous.
Years ago, I cheaped out and got basic cable and internet at the beach and suspended cable at my house and i would watch TV shows off the internet.
If only I can figure out howto do it off my TV now. I could save enough to get another beach house. Just saw one 10 miles inland for 30K and two bedrooms at that But it has a lake, if not the ocean, quick drive to the ocean should I want to go there.

Sunnyday

08-07-2014

Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 7:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sunnyday a private message Print Post    
I enjoy Father Brown. It's a British mystery series featuring a Catholic Priest solving the crimes.

Kappy

06-28-2002

Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 7:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
Dang, Sadiesmom - tell me where this two bedroom for $30k is!!! I might go take a look at it, lol.

Vickie

07-16-2004

Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 9:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Vickie a private message Print Post    
I find between having Amazon & Netflix I can catch most everything and be ok with it. Just hook up your laptop through a HDMI into your tv and you can view all the internet. If not a laptop than a tablet. We had cut the cable cord years ago. When we bought the house cable wasn't even here yet so the previous owners had put up an antenna. Still works great and so we get all the local channels that way. Not all the tv stations will let you watch the previous nights show.

Mizinvanccouver

02-21-2003

Monday, April 10, 2017 - 7:11 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mizinvanccouver a private message Print Post    
I finished watching Broadchurch and so binge watched Dr. Foster, only 6 episodes this weekend. Anyone else watch it? Quite a few twists and turns.

Spoiler....if you haven't watched don't go further...

Now why would she want to stay there? Those people are not her friends or very lacking. Was it for her son, because what he said in second episode? She didn't want to up-root him? I wouldn't want to stay there.

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Monday, April 10, 2017 - 11:57 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
Mu TV is wireless, I should be able to get in through the wifi, Will google how to do it. default is to hook into computer.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Monday, April 10, 2017 - 12:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I recently watched Dr. Foster and thought she was a mess. I think staying in that town would have some challenges but it had been her home for years and think that she didn't want to uproot her son. Her husband was a real wanker.

I finished No Second Chance, it wasn't bad.