TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through March 27, 2017

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: PBS Shows - General: Archive through March 27, 2017 users admin

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Monday, January 16, 2017 - 10:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
Another good documentary series is Independent Lens. Seems to me there is another series I check out, but can't remember name at the moment.

Scout

01-19-2005

Tuesday, January 17, 2017 - 12:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scout a private message Print Post    
Thanks, Roteach! Can't wait :-)

Spunky

10-07-2001

Wednesday, January 18, 2017 - 11:54 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Spunky a private message Print Post    
There is definitely a lot of new tv watching at PBS, better enjoy it now before they stop again for their support campaigns.
They eased off on nuclear issues, but Frontline is again showing me a side of the US I don't hear too often but I'll wait for tonight's second part and conclusion before my comments.

The young Victoria series seems quite faithful to history, they're Brits after all, I've seen so many versions but this one seems okay to me.

Spunky

10-07-2001

Thursday, January 19, 2017 - 9:35 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Spunky a private message Print Post    
I understood a bit better with the second part of Divided United States of America on Frontline and basically it was a summary of failures by Obama and the division and disappointment his term generated, however, I think the division is never going away, and the disappointment was because the expectations were too many, they really did expect a lot from him, even the black population, but if they crucified Obama for a lot of his failures, imagine what they'll do to Trump who has everyone against him, even his own party.

I want to wait the next Frontline dealing with Trump's Road to the White House and I'm curious to see what they think of him.

Anyway, it's really hard for me to make sense of a topsy turvy world, where things that were promoted by the left are now promoted by the right and vice versa. How funny things turned out...

Kappy

06-28-2002

Thursday, January 19, 2017 - 4:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
I haven't watched it yet but I seriously hope they didn't act like that division just started appearing in the last 8 years.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Monday, January 23, 2017 - 10:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
I'm anxious to sit down and watch it. Haven't been able to watch either part straight through. I bought digital copies from Amazon.

Good Independent Lens show tonight 10:00 - 11:30 Central -- The Witness about 1964 Kitty Genovese murder. Film was done by one of her brothers.

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Tuesday, January 24, 2017 - 9:29 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
Am enjoying Victoria and the new take on Henry's wives.

Spunky

10-07-2001

Tuesday, January 24, 2017 - 9:54 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Spunky a private message Print Post    
It's seems Victoria was filmed during the fall season but the scenography is spectacular and they're very attentive to details, costumes are great as well and Albert is surely the right actor and was introduced to the viewers in a very 'romantic' way (never expected it.. turning the music page while Victoria was playing the piano, very nicely done) and dear Lord M will soon be forgotten. Although we know that history, I never get tired to see it played out on tv.

Tonight on PBS Frontline Trump's Road to the White House, so curious to see their take on this.

Jasper

09-14-2000

Tuesday, January 24, 2017 - 10:10 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jasper a private message Print Post    
I have both those shows recorded to watch OG. Looking forward to it and Spunky is making me want to watch Frontline which I never have.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Tuesday, January 24, 2017 - 3:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    

Me too. I think Lucy Worsley is a name and face that may be more and more recognizable in the U.S.

A lot of British programs are available for streaming on Acorn.TV and a new coming app BritBox.com.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Tuesday, January 24, 2017 - 4:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
What I like about Victoria is that she's pretty far ahead of her time, not wanting to be controlled by a man. Then, some of the statements made by the men are interesting.... like "she needs a husband, so he can control her". The first week, I was not into the show, but last Sunday, I got hooked.

Spunky

10-07-2001

Wednesday, January 25, 2017 - 8:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Spunky a private message Print Post    
I think Victoria was lucky to have found a young husband who loved her and helped her along instead of opposing her, although during the first part of their union there were some awkward moments but soon their love for one another made them both a very successful royal couple, it's hard to see how much she changed after her husband died that I almost never remember Victoria to be that young and that regal.

As for Frontline and their take on Trump I was entertained in a way I didn't expect, not a 2 hour but 1 hour and never fast forwarded. The campaign was ugly, for certain, from both sides, but personal attacks weren't enough to beat Trump. I wonder if he could have won even without those damaging Clinton emails that came out, I think that silent America was just waiting for election day to make their choice.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Monday, January 30, 2017 - 11:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
I've been waiting 2 - 3 years since I first heard about it. Ken Burns' The Vietnam War is going to air this September.

Scout

01-19-2005

Friday, March 24, 2017 - 9:41 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scout a private message Print Post    
I just read that season 2 of Home Fires is supposed to be starting on Sundays - April 2 to May 7

Love this show! I heard it had been cancelled but there was a write-in petition to try to get it back. Anyone hear if they had any success with that?

Scout

01-19-2005

Friday, March 24, 2017 - 10:18 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scout a private message Print Post    
And bonus - Season 6 of Call the Midwife starts that same night, also!

Jasper

09-14-2000

Friday, March 24, 2017 - 1:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jasper a private message Print Post    
So far no. Enjoy, it was a very good. I will probably watch it again, it already aired in Canada on another station I get that airs a lot of Brit tv.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Saturday, March 25, 2017 - 11:45 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    

I loved every second of Victoria, but what is this about "Henry's wives?" Are we talking Henry VIII? One of my favorites since The Tudors. What did I miss?

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Saturday, March 25, 2017 - 4:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
Yes, Henry VIII. It was a 2 or 3 part series on his six wives.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, March 25, 2017 - 5:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Yay for a new season of Call the Midwife... They have been running marathons every Sunday and I have been eating them up!

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Sunday, March 26, 2017 - 12:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Yes, Henry VIII. It was a 2 or 3 part series on his six wives.

Thanks, Colordeagua! How did I miss that?! I'll see if I can find it somewhere.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Sunday, March 26, 2017 - 11:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
Or maybe it was 5 or 6 parts? One for each wife. Thinking now, IIRC, a 2 or 3 parter ran about the same time related to Henry and his wives.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Monday, March 27, 2017 - 10:51 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
I found it on Amazon. It was a 3-parter called "The Secrets of Henry VIII's Six Wives." It was enjoyable, but I really didn't learn anything new. I've read and watched a lot about the Tudors. Philippa Gregory is one of my favorite authors, and she writes extensively about the Tudor era. Also the War of the Roses, from every possible angle!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, March 27, 2017 - 11:54 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Just hope PBS can stay alive..

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Monday, March 27, 2017 - 1:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Well, that budget hasn't been passed yet. Maybe it will flop like the healthcare bill. There's still hope!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, March 27, 2017 - 8:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Of course.. but there are so many battles..